Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Any word on whether Global has secured a new anchor yet (or have they decided not to)? News Hour Final seems to be flowing along nicely with Carolyn. What are they doing with the weekend news? Jennifer Palosoc (?spelling) was in tonight - she is very junior ... I'm sure they can put someone a little more seasoned in the anchor chair. How does Global's Weekend news do in terms of ratings on the weekend - compared to CTV and City?

Guess it is same to presume that Global Toronto will have 1 anchor for News Hour? Anne Marie's last broadcast on CIII was September 11, 2009 ... they should have been able to secure a replacement by now (if that was the intention).

From what I've heard they have no intention to have a second co-anchor partially due to costs but because they felt Leslie was more than capable of doing it solo.

If that is the case, then they should update their website - Carolyn Mackenzie is still listed as "Weekend Anchor and Feature Reporter" - on that note, does Global have plans to firm up who will be their new weekend anchor? It's been a revolving chair since Carolyn went to News Hour Final.

So is Leslie officially off of News Hour Final? I thought Carolyn was just filling in.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only going on what I hear from people I know who have knowledge about this stuff.

Carolyn is much better on News Hour Final than Leslie. Anchoring the weekend newscasts isn't big enough for Carolyn - I was stunned when they put her in that time slot when she returned from maternity leave (... but given all the cutbacks that happened in 2009, she took what she could get).

Was watching the News Hour tonight ... at 6:42pm EST ... Global ran a promo advertising the "News Hour with Leslie Roberts and Anne Marie Mediwake" ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by vanessab View Post
    Was watching the News Hour tonight ... at 6:42pm EST ... Global ran a promo advertising the "News Hour with Leslie Roberts and Anne Marie Mediwake" ... :)
    Wow thats so odd seeing as though there's just been promos for him alone lately. Glitch or revelation?

Someone in the control room clearly also wants her back ... :)

With the recent terminations at CityTV ... Global may want to think about snatching up Anne Mroczkowski, Laura DiBattista, Farah Nasser ... Anne/Laura would be great co-anchors on News Hour ... Farah would be a good weekend anchor ...

Whether Leslie will still be solo nobody knows but I think we can expect these 8 newscasters to be showing up elsewhere unless they choose another career or aspect of the media to pursue. Some have used layoffs as a time to think and a time to do something else they've been eager to try.

By adding any of those ladies (Anne, Laura or Farah) to the News Hour and/or Weekend shows as an anchor will increase the ratings on Global significantly (and close the narrow the gap with CTV). People are not responding well to the restructuring at City ... Anne and Laura have loyal followings in the Toronto Market. Farah taking over the weekend show on Global would kill City's weekend news. Global doesn't have a lot of diversity ... these 3 women would draw in significant audiences.

Citytv no longer has weekend news. People are outraged by this. Twitter is getting 20 tweets a minute with people pissed to the bone. The thread I started about Citytv's self created catastrophe has already had almost 2,000 views and over 100 replies. So that just goes to show the impact this has had!

Really? Their website shows Roger Petersen as the Weekend Anchor. Was he let go too?

Roger Petersen was not let go but it appears as if he now just a field reporter and I think we may see him anchor on holidays. That's if Citytv will still air their news on a holiday that falls on a weekday.

[quote=vanessab;20372]Alex is someone who does well when she is co-anchoring (she did well on Citytv as the co-anchor of the 11pm News), where as some do better anchoring solo (i.e.: Carolyn MacKenzie). Leslie and Alex would stand out from the competition in the Toronto market.

Alex is the new court Reporter, it is not likely she will change jobs again. Perhaps she wanted to get away from the desk, and that's why she took this job.

Carolyn should join the newshour; and Leslie should take early retirement.

Antony would a good replacement for her, he has filled in before on the NH and the A.M. show and did very well
    Last edited by jwall5; 04-26-2010 at 02:21 PM.

No argument here - Carolyn should anchor either News Hour or News Hour Final ... I don't agree that she should be left just to weekends. I do feel though that she does better anchoring solo than co-anchoring. I totally agree with moving Antony Robart to the anchor desk - he is very good.

Does anyone know if the rumours are true - is Anne Mroczkowski joining Global in a few weeks??

Quote Originally Posted by vanessab View Post
    Does anyone know if the rumours are true - is Anne Mroczkowski joining Global in a few weeks??
    She stated in a interview not too long ago she'll would be doing something different than T.V. news.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    She stated in a interview not too long ago she'll would be doing something different than T.V. news.
    Glad to hear that because I don't like her or anyone else from City TV for that matter,
    Leslie and Anne would be a terrible match up