Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Discovery Kids will shut down

It's already been hinted at in another thread but here's an article that confirms it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...f1c47b72a0b9b5

As it reworks its kids TV properties, Corus is also to shut down Discovery Kids Canada, a digital channel it operates in partnership with U.S.-based Discovery Communications.

An update, the channel will shut down on November 1, one day before the launch of Nickelodeon Canada.

Interesting move,

Discovery Kids US is re-branding next year as they have partnered up with Hasbro for programming, why doesn't Corus wait to see what the channel will look like next year before shutting it down?! I wonder how popular this channel was, I think Disney & Nickelodeon are the two main brands as far as kids TV goes.

So it looks like another bites the dust, I wonder if BBC Kids is next on the chopping block?!

I'm actually surprised CTVgm doesn't run Discovery Kids Canada since they run regular Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    I'm actually surprised CTVgm doesn't run Discovery Kids Canada since they run regular Discovery.
    the Discovery brand is not exclusive to CTV in Canada, not only does Corus own Discovery Kids, but Canwest owns Discovery Health.

CTVgm doesn't own any other kids channels so it doesn't really make sense for them to own Discovery Kids. For that matter, it doesn't make sense for Canwest to own BBC Kids, it doesn't fit with the other specialties they own but I doubt anyone would want to buy it?!

Doesn't surprise me...especially since The U.S Counterpart is to undergo re-branding and that SHAW dumped that service in July...Now I wonder if SHAW will consider carrying Nickelodian Canada or just keep that channel out of their sight!!! I guess only time will tell!!!

Shaw owns Corus so of course they will carry Nickelodeon. It looks like the only reason why they pulled Discovery Kids was because they were already planning to shut the station down and wanted an excuse to pull BBC Kids.

It looks like the only reason why they pulled Discovery Kids was because they were already planning to shut the station down and wanted an excuse to pull BBC Kids.
    BBC Kids should be shut down, its a crappy channel thanks to Canwest who repeat the same programming over and over again and the CRTC with their stupid Cancon requirements. Its a good concept and probably sounded like a good idea to Alliance Atlantis but now that it is on the air its clear that it should not have been launched at all.

A few points:

1- Its supposed to be a BBC branded channel yet how much content from the BBC does it actually air? It would be good if they turned it into a channel with content from around the world, not just the BBC.

2- Canwest does not own any other kids channels so they do not have programing they can use for CDN Content like Corus does (they own Nelvana for one) so they just repeat the same few programs over and over again- very original.

3- Nickelodeon and Disney are the two main brands as far as children's content goes, thanks in part to successful marketing and our approximation to the USA. BBC Kids is not very well known and thus not that popular with kids so the fact its been on the air for this long is actually quite surprising to me.

I say pull the plug or another alternative would be for the CBC to buy it and turn it into a CBC Kids Channel. They have tons of programming they can air for CDN content and can continue to air BBC stuff as well as other British programming.

Atleast BBC Kids offers programming you can't see anywhere else. Sure they re-air the same programming but it's eaiser to do that with a kids channel, especially a channel that tagrets younger kids who may only be able to watch a few hours of TV a day, and the fact that kids grow out of programming so in many cases the reruns will be new to them.

Here is BBC Kids schedule, is it as good as the other kids channels? No, but it offers some programming you can't see anywhere else.

Weekdays
    6:00am Teletubbies/Bananas in Pajamas
    6:30am Postman Pat/Theodore Tugboat
    7:00am Balmory/Bananas in Pajamas
    7:30am MightyMach/Banans in Pajamas/Rainbow Fish
    8:00am Binka/Pingu
    8:30am Postman Pat/Theodore Tugboat
    9:00am Balamory
    9:30am Binka/Pingu
    10:00am Rainbow Fish/Mighty Machines
    10:30am Balamory/Teletubbies
    11:00am Postman Pat/Bananas in Pajamas
    11:30am Theodore Tugboat/Balamory
    12:00pm PMK
    12:30pm PMK
    1:00pm Freefonix
    1:30pm Raven
    2:00pm Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    2:30pm Worst Witch
    3:00pm Raven
    3:30pm Freefonix
    4:00pm Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    4:30pm Worst Witch
    5:00pm The
    Best in Australia
    6:00pm PMK
    6:30pm PMK
    7:00pm Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    7:30pm Worst Wotch
    8:00pm The Best in Australia
    9:00pm Robin Hood
    10:00pm French & Saunders
    10:30pm My Hero
    11:00pm Two Pints & Crisps
    11:30pm Two Pints & Crisps
    12:00am Mark Wooton/Little Britain/Vicar of Dibley
    12:30am French & Saunders
    1:00am Robin Hood
    2:00am
    Mark Wooton/Little Britain/Vicar of Dibley
    2:30am My Hero
    3:00am
    Two Pints & Crisps
    3:30am
    Two Pints & Crisps
    4:00am Robin Hood
    5:00am My Hero
    5:30am
    Mark Wooton/Little Britain/Vicar of Dibley

Saturday

6:00am Raven
    6:30am Raven
    7:00am Famous Jett Jackson
    7:30am Famous Jett Jackson
    8:00am PMK Wknd
    8:30am PMK Wknd
    9:00am Ready or Not
    9:30am Ready or Not
    10:00am I Was a 6th Grade Alien
    10:30am I Was a 6th Grade Alien
    11:00am The Best in Australia
    12:00pm
    PMK Wknd
    12:30pm
    PMK Wknd
    1:00pm
    PMK Wknd
    1:30pm
    PMK Wknd
    2:00pm Robin Hood
    3:00pm Groovy Movie
    5:00pm Wonder Years
    5:30pm Wonder Years
    6:00pm Groovy Movie
    8:00pm Ready or Not
    8:30pm Ready or Not
    9:00pm I Was a 6th Grade Alien
    9:30pm I Was a 6th Grade Alien
    10:00pm The Way Things Move
    10:30pm The Way Things Move
    11:00pm The Best in Australia
    12:00am Reel Late Film
    2:00am Wonder Years
    2:30am Wonder Years
    3:00am The Best in Australia
    4:00am Vicar of Dibley
    4:30am Vicar of Dibley
    5:00am What Not to Wear

Sunday

6:00am Famous Jett Jackson
    6:30am Famous Jett Jackson
    7:00am Ace Lightning
    7:30am Ace Lightning
    8:00am PMK Wknd
    8:30am PMK Wknd
    9:00am Famous Jett Jackson
    9:30am Famous Jett Jackson
    10:00am Ace Lightning
    10:30am Ace Lightning
    11:00am The Best in Australia
    12:00pm PMK Wknd
    12:30pm PMK Wknd
    1:00pm Groovy Movie
    3:00pm Groovy Movie
    5:00pm Worst Witch
    5:30pm Worst Witch
    6:00pm The Way Things Move
    6:30pm The Way Things Move
    7:00pm What Not to Wear
    8:00pm Our Hero
    8:30pm Our Hero
    9:00pm Hollyhoaks
    9:30pm Hollyhoaks
    10:00pm Vicar of Dibley
    10:30pm Vicar of Dibley
    11:00pm Reel Late Film
    1:00am Our Hero
    1:30am Our Hero
    2:00am Worst Witch
    2:30am Worst Witch
    3:00am Vicar of Dibley
    3:30am Vicar of Dibley
    4:00am What Not to Wear
    5:00am Hollyhoaks
    5:30am Hollyhoaks

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Atleast BBC Kids offers programming you can't see anywhere else. Sure they re-air the same programming but it's eaiser to do that with a kids channel, especially a channel that tagrets younger kids who may only be able to watch a few hours of TV a day, and the fact that kids grow out of programming so in many cases the reruns will be new to them.

Here is BBC Kids schedule, is it as good as the other kids channels? No, but it offers some programming you can't see anywhere else.
    So does all of the kids channels, they all offer programming not seen anywhere else. All of them have a certain number of programs not seen in Canada before and not on any other channel. The only difference is there's some channels that offer more 'original' content then others.

And they don't just offer programs directed a one certain age of kids, during the early morning its pre-schoolers, then as the day moves on its school-aged and then it turns into older kids/tweens/teens in the evening. Just because it's a kids channel doesn't mean you get a free pass and are allowed to rerun shows like crazy either.

I think the idea of BBC Kids is a good one, programming for kids from around the world, I think we need more of a world perspective rather then everything coming from the US, but BBC Kids just isn't working. There must be a reason why Canwest hasn't shut it down by now, it's bleeding red ink, consistantly loosing money every year and still loosing over a million in each, although its losses are lessening, but still, over a million each year is a lot for a channel that's been on the air since 2001 or 2002, most that have been on the air that long are either making money or brought their losses down to a resonable level.
    Last edited by musimax; 10-04-2009 at 04:07 PM.

I think the idea of BBC Kids is a good one, programming for kids from around the world, I think we need more of a world perspective rather then everything coming from the US, but BBC Kids just isn't working.
    I agree, as I pointed out the concept (a channel that airs programming from around the world) is a good one but the execution (if you like) has not been very good. I also agree that its good to be exposed to other content aside from American fare but the US broadcasters have done an excellent job in marketing their services and most kids nowdays (if not all of them) all they know is Disney & Nickelodeon.

Taking a look at Wikipedia, I noticed that there are not very many domestic kids channel, Disney & Nickelodeon are everywhere, even if they are simply local versions of the channel. Off hand, here are the original kids channels I found: CBBC (UK), CBeebies (UK), KI.KA (Germany) & Canal J (France). Unfortunately, while I welcome a channel with international content, I think its an uphill battle for viewers due to the domination of the 2 American broadcasters.
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 10-04-2009 at 04:31 PM.

There's certainly more kids channels out there other then those but kids shows odn't only air on kids channels though, other broadcasters air kids show too, take CBC for example, they air a bunch of orignal Canadian kids shows and they don't have a kids channel. And I believe international versions of the US channels like Nick and Disney, most likely air homegrown programs as well just like how Canadian channels do.

So I think there is enough content out there to have a international or UK-focused kids channel here in Canada, but BBC Kids isn't doing such a great job of it.

Just to correct an error I made, the BBC Kids schedule I posted was actually their summer schedule, Canwest has put out a much better schedule for the fall, It's posted in the Canwest Specialty Fall 2009 Schedules thread

BBC Kids Fall Schedule: http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showpo...1&postcount=30

I still don't see the link between cooking shows and a kids channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    I still don't see the link between cooking shows and a kids channel.
    That's because there is no link. Something like The Naked Chef is pointless to air on BBC Kids, especially at noon on the weekends. Even during the former BBCK timeslot which targets teens, is even pointless, that's not something relevent to teens either.

Naked Chef has been airing on BBC Kids even when Alliance Atlantis was in charge of programming, so my guess is the program is popular on the channel.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

TVViewer, I think the point people are trying to make is kids/teens are not watching that. My guess is adults happen to see it in the guide and tune to it.

BBC Kids was a decent station when it first launched but over the years it's become a garbage station like many of the other diginets out there. I'm sure if Canwest doesn't sell this station, it will probably shut down within the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    I'm sure if Canwest doesn't sell this station, it will probably shut down within the next year.
    I'm sure Corus wants another station targeted to children so they can monopolize the Canadian television market for children. They pretty much secured the market for women.