Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

"Friends of Super Channel" Call for Rogers boycott

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../29/c2174.html

This is not actually Super Channel, but a group called "Friends of Super Channel".

Not that I think a boycott will work, but one part of the release I did find interesting was:

-------

"Super Channel recently made a detailed presentation to the Parliamentary Heritage Committee commenting that Rogers had the lowest penetration levels of all BDUs with only one third of one percent.

Super Channel representatives told the committee they had done research into how Rogers customer services agents were selling Super Channel. It came out that 97% of all the calls requesting movie services were directed exclusively to TMN. Even if customers specifically asked for Super Channel, the customer service representatives dissuaded customers from purchasing Super Channel and pushed them to purchase TMN instead.

When the CSRs were asked if any movie services were available other than TMN, Super Channel was only offered 10 percent of the time. Rogers customer service representatives said the following:

"I'm not that familiar with Super Channel, but TMN is better". "All of us (CSR's) have The Movie Network". "Super Channel is not as popular as TMN"."

-----

What great BDU's we have in Canada, they sure deserve their billions in profits

This is a very slippery slope by rogers if this is true.Is it anti competition in a way if so something needs to be done.

What would the purpose of Rogers even doing that? Rogers has no ownership in TMN/MC or their parent companies, Rogers never competed in the licensing bid for a pay tv licence along with Super Channel so they shouldn't be pissed as Vidéotron is, Super Channel isn't really a competitor in any way with any Rogers property, I'm assuming they don't have a history of bad blood with Allarco; so what's the deal here?

Why, I'm guessing they make more money off TMN then SC?

Either way, it's kinda rotten.

Maybe Rogers doesn't like being required to carry 6 channels and wants Super Channel to fail to make room? That's the only reason I can think of.

Anyways, Super Channel put out it's own Press Release:

Statement regarding the press release from a group entitled “Friends of Super Channel”

EDMONTON Sept. 30 2009- Although much of the content of the press release was accurate, Super Channel wishes to state that it does not approve of the tone and the inflammatory nature of the release.

“We know that many producers and others have been hurt by the disadvantage that Super Channel received but we are in the process of trying to resolve issues,” said Charles Allard, Chairman and CEO of Super Channel. “We hope that Rogers will address the disadvantage and serious harm that was occasioned and we would ask those that were hurt by the disadvantage not to be discourteous nor inflammatory as this is not productive or helpful in resolving the current difficulties.“

Super Channel is not party to and does not support the call for a boycott of Rogers. Super Channel trusts that these issues will be cleared up without recourse to unprofessional remarks or language.

About Super Channel
    Super Channel is Canada’s only national pay television network, consisting of two new HD channels, four new SD channels, and Super Channel On Demand.

Super Channel’s vision is to expand the Canadian premium TV experience by offering a broad range of fresh, entertaining movies, series and live events. Super Channel is owned by Allarco Entertainment 2008 Inc., an Edmonton-based media company.
    Super Channel is currently available on Bell TV, Shaw Direct, Rogers PersonalTV, Shaw Cable, Cogeco Cable, Access Communications, Bell Aliant TV, Mountain Cablevision, Source Cable, SaskTel, MTS, Novus, EastLink, Delta Cable/Coast Cable, TELUS and other regional providers.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Maybe Rogers doesn't like being required to carry 6 channels and wants Super Channel to fail to make room? That's the only reason I can think of.
    It doesn't have to carry all 6 though and there are 16 cat 1 diginets and more analog channels they have to carry as well and no word on Rogers treating them this way.

I wouldn't have expected Rogers as much to do this, I'd expect Shaw for sure, this seems right up their alley, even if they didn't have a stake in Movie Central.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I wouldn't have expected Rogers as much to do this, I'd expect Shaw for sure, this seems right up their alley, even if they didn't have a stake in Movie Central.
    Shaw owns a majority share of Corus, which owns Movie Central. They still carried Super Channel.

Superchannel wasn't promoted by Rogers

Superchannel was not promoted by Rogers properly. It seemed all they pushed was TMN and their beloved HBO Canada . Its sad when Cable companies are controlled or seduced by certain specialty channels. It comes down to promises of money profits and favors. Put the new kid on the block out of business and we will reward you.:mad: Disgusting how SC was treated by unfair business practices. It was sly ,calculated and against the fair business rules set out by the CRTC of mandatory carriage. I have the right to choose my service ,not some marketing dept. or some rogers execs .

Update: Rogers has been promoting Superchannel as much as TMN these days and is running ads on their stations for superchannel . I dont care either way but fair competition should be the standard and it wasn't at one time with Rogers. I personally think TMN and Superchannel aren't worth the money I was paying out and went with MPix for a discounted price that I can live with. ;)

Rogers called my girlfriend out of the blue 3 or 4 months ago and gave her a free month of Super Channel.

She didn't care for it, and canceled it.

I actually didn't mind some of the programming on SuperChannel when we had it on free preview, but I didn't like it enough to choose it over Movie Central. If they'd drop the subscription rate I might consider it but on Shaw I think it's about $18.99/month which is too much for what they're airing IMO.

Superchannel is good value on Rogers

I do agree that if they dropped their services fee to about 12-13 dollars through all the service providers ,they would definitely increase their numbers drastically. I get it on Rogers for about 10 doll:)ars so I am very happy with the discount and the service . As i said before I am very happy with the service and watch it more than I watched HBO/ TMN . If its 18 dollars like some are saying here then thats too much! Ask for a discount or tell them you are switching services and providers.