Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Given that they were able to sell CJNT, I think they'll be able to sell CKMI too.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Well, I do wish for Global Quebec to shut down for various reasons:
    - I don't even know if there's still a newscast over here. I see "Global National", I see "Evening News", I see "News Hour", I see "News Final" and I don't know which one has local news. I fail to see "CKMI 46 News" or "Global Quebec News".
    - News are not the most watched in this area, CFCF kick their ass for years. Probably because abovementionned reason.
    - You kept repeating in other threads than Global Quebec doesn't make money, in fact, it's a losing money station. When you go bankrupcy, what's the point of keeping such station on the air, not making any profit, every day ?
    - All of the jobs at the core of the station are gone already, everything controlled from, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, or wherever the damn datacernter is located.
    - 94% of primetime programming (sunday to friday, 8pm to 11pm) is US programming already available on Cable.

All in all, the few remaining jobs will be lost, but nobody will cry over the loss of the station, at least in this province.
    Evening News (6:00PM) and News Final (11:00PM) is local news.

And just because they are not #1 doesn't mean they shouldn't stay on the air. local competition is good, you may be happy with only 1 or 2 news source but most people like a choice.

The stations is supported by profits from the overall Global network, and as you know the broadcasters are trying to be able to negotiate value for their signals to keep local stations on the air.

Anchors, reporters, and news directors are still based in Montreal, shutting down Global Montreal would mean lay-offs, but I guess you don't care about that.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Given that they were able to sell CJNT, I think they'll be able to sell CKMI too.
    I guess you missed the memo, the local television model is broken, and nobody is willing to buy money losing stations.

CJNT was sold (for $6 dollars) to Channel Zero because they didn't have a newsroom, they had a total of 6 employees, Channel Zero already had access to international programming and needed an outlet to broadcast it on. It's way more expensive to run a TV station with a newsroom, and once again, nobody is willing to buy money losing stations with a broken model.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I guess you missed the memo, the local television model is broken, and nobody is willing to buy money losing stations.

CJNT was sold (for $6 dollars) to Channel Zero because they didn't have a newsroom, they had a total of 6 employees, Channel Zero already had access to international programming and needed an outlet to broadcast it on. It's way more expensive to run a TV station with a newsroom, and once again, nobody is willing to buy money losing stations with a broken model.
    CJNT still has an obligation to produce 14 hours of local ethnic programming a week (or something like that). CKMI can produce English local programming, and it doesn't have to be news. Maybe someone will want to buy it for $1 and take it in a different direction like Channel Zero did with CJNT.

CJNT still has an obligation to produce 14 hours of local ethnic programming a week (or something like that). CKMI can produce English local programming, and it doesn't have to be news. Maybe someone will want to buy it for $1 and take it in a different direction like Channel Zero did with CJNT.
    Nobody is that stupid to buy something with a broken model.

Anyways, Canwest has said that selling assets is NOT part of the restructuring.

Then why was Channel Zero? And I know Canwest doesn't plan to sell any Global stations right now. But if they did, they'd probably be able to find a buyer for most of them since they're in major cities. CHBC and CISA would be the only ones that might not find a buyer.

Channel Zero and CHEK = Stupid? I think not.

Here is another thought .. maybe it is the local news model that is broken. Seriously, why is it such a drain on their funds? Are the paychecks maybe a bit too large for what they can actually support salary wise?

The other interesting thing is how Canwest does their news, check out Global Calgary's website and almost all the news stories are credited to the Calgary Herald. So really, other than a few reports being done by videographers and a reporter a lot of what is put together for the newscasts is being done by the newspaper division when it comes to local news. Of course they do share a building in Calgary :)

For international news a lot comes from their arrangement with CNN. The rest of the news is generally fluff pieces when I watch, things like the latest funny online "e-funny" sent in by viewers themselves.

So, since FFC is supposed to be going towards local news production, does this mean that Canwest will use this to also prop up the funding towards the newspaper division if indeed the newspaper reporters are bringing a lot of the stories to the nightly newscast seen on TV?

The whole things seems to be a pretty interesting mesh built by a corporation where it would be hard to divide it up to find out some of the real costs involved.

Just because Canwest says they're not going to sell anything, that doesn't mean they won't. Do you always believe things companies tell you, because reality check, they don't always tell the truth.

Take Discovery Kids; Shaw and Shaw Direct removed it, i'm not sure if it was this forum or another one, but someone emailed DK and asked about if they were shutting down or something along those lines, and DK responded and said no, they were not shutting down, all is fine, and low-and-behold, DK ends up shutting down November 1. And there's probably more and more examples of things like this, and it doesn't even have to be a broadcaster, it could be any company.

So, maybe nothing will be sold, but just b/c they say there isn't, there very well could.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Channel Zero and CHEK = Stupid? I think not.
    I don't think CHEK's and Channel Zero's buys were stupid. but it is stupid to just go and buy any station up for sale.

Once again it made sense for Channel Zero to buy CJNT (for $6 dollars) as they had access to extremely cheap international music videos and movies with no outlet to play them on, and CJNT had a staff of 6, CHCH is the only local station in the market, had strong local news ratings, and already had a full staff, CHEK also has strong ratings, and believe they can make it work with a type of Fee for Carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Here is another thought .. maybe it is the local news model that is broken. Seriously, why is it such a drain on their funds? Are the paychecks maybe a bit too large for what they can actually support salary wise?

The other interesting thing is how Canwest does their news, check out Global Calgary's website and almost all the news stories are credited to the Calgary Herald. So really, other than a few reports being done by videographers and a reporter a lot of what is put together for the newscasts is being done by the newspaper division when it comes to local news. Of course they do share a building in Calgary :)

For international news a lot comes from their arrangement with CNN. The rest of the news is generally fluff pieces when I watch, things like the latest funny online "e-funny" sent in by viewers themselves.

So, since FFC is supposed to be going towards local news production, does this mean that Canwest will use this to also prop up the funding towards the newspaper division if indeed the newspaper reporters are bringing a lot of the stories to the nightly newscast seen on TV?

The whole things seems to be a pretty interesting mesh built by a corporation where it would be hard to divide it up to find out some of the real costs involved.
    Just because stories posted on Global Calgary's WEBSITE come from the newspaper, doesn't mean stories on the actual Global Calgary newscasts are. They are actually required to keep their TV newsroom and newspaper newsroom separate. Global Calgary produces an impressive 7 hours of live local news each day, and that's produced by Global Calgary's hard working team, not from any newspaper.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 10-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.

CHBC and CISA would be the only ones that might not find a buyer.
    I'm not really worried about CHBC or CISA. Both are technically retransmitters of CHAN and CICT respectively. It would make sense for CHAN to buy CHBC and CICT to buy CISA, as they pretty much offer the same programs besides some local programming. I think both stations do lose money on local, but overall they make a very slight profit.

What I'm worried about are the weaker Global stations in the Prairies and in Eastern Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Well, I do wish for Global Quebec to shut down for various reasons:
    - I don't even know if there's still a newscast over here. I see "Global National", I see "Evening News", I see "News Hour", I see "News Final" and I don't know which one has local news. I fail to see "CKMI 46 News" or "Global Quebec News".
    Not every station needs to use the "LOCAL BRAND HERE News at 6" or whatever. You may not understand as CKMI only rebranded its newscasts in 2006. The "News Hour" name wasn't a Global invention, it was created at BCTV over 25 years ago. Nothing to do with Global. Global pretty much decided to use that for the names of all of their newscasts starting in 2006.

News are not the most watched in this area, CFCF kick their ass for years. Probably because abovementionned reason.
    CKMI is a new player, originally they were the CBC affiliate for Quebec City, and through the process of bastardization, we end up with a Quebec City station serving Montreal. If CKMI was to refocus on Quebec City, I think they will become successful.

I'm not really worried about CHBC or CISA. Both are technically retransmitters of CHAN and CICT respectively. It would make sense for CHAN to buy CHBC and CICT to buy CISA, as they pretty much offer the same programs besides some local programming. I think both stations do lose money on local, but overall they make a very slight profit.
    Well all Global stations are pretty much retransmitters of each other. Same with CTV. They produce local news and otherwise their schedules are the same.

Not every station needs to use the "LOCAL BRAND HERE News at 6" or whatever. You may not understand as CKMI only rebranded its newscasts in 2006. The "News Hour" name wasn't a Global invention, it was created at BCTV over 25 years ago. Nothing to do with Global. Global pretty much decided to use that for the names of all of their newscasts starting in 2006.

CKMI is a new player, originally they were the CBC affiliate for Quebec City, and through the process of bastardization, we end up with a Quebec City station serving Montreal. If CKMI was to refocus on Quebec City, I think they will become successful.
    No no no, there are not enough english viewers in Quebec City to support CKMI-TV, Montreal has the most english viewers in Quebec, that's why Global has always wanted the station to be a local Montreal station.

Well all Global stations are pretty much retransmitters of each other. Same with CTV. They produce local news and otherwise their schedules are the same.
    That's the problem with a centrally planned schedule. Stations should be able to program their own schedules outside of the set network programming.

I don't really think that the CRTC should've approved most of the sales of the stations from their local owners to CTV and/or Global. Approving WIC and CHUM's sale was a huge mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    They don't share a building in Calgary.

Global Calgary is located blocks away from the Calgary Herald in NE Calgary, and both operate newsrooms that are independent from each other. The news director at Global Calgary does not run the newsroom in the Calgary Herald, and vice-versa. The big "GLOBAL" sign that you see along Deerfoot Trail on the Calgary Herald building is just that... a sign. They may share content on their websites, but the work is done by separate people in separate divisions in separate buildings.

And really, EVERY electronic media outlet in any city partly relies on the newspaper for story ideas. It's nothing new.

Not exactly true, although they air the same network programming, outside of primetime their schedules are not exactly the same.

see for yourself in the Global Late Night / Daytime update posts, different Global stations air programs at different times.

Not that it matters anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    Good. They get no sympathy from me. All they show in between the 7.5 hours a day of news here in BC is ET Canada twice and US programmes. Plus they are very bias and do not report the news without spin.

Like too, why do they need two major dailies in Vancouver for? They are pretty well the same except for a few editorialist and their web pages are identical with identical stories.

Canwest has not realized it is 2009 and still insist on doing things the old way.

Good riddance hopefully.
    Yeah, 7.5 hours of local news just isn't enough! I demand more!

Wait, I went off a whole tangent last week...

LOCAL NEWS SUCKS!
    DOWN WITH LOCAL NEWS!
    I'LL DECIDE MY WEATHER DAMMIT!

Great post SirCalgary.:)

You know what else Global BC does every year? They produce two live 23 hour commercial free telethons for BC's Children's Hospital and Variety Club for Kids with special needs, raising around $25 Million dollars combined for these charities every year.

Global BC is not alone, local conventional stations across Canada raise millions for charity, think about that before you wish they go bankrupt.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 10-06-2009 at 07:08 PM.