Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CBCSportsPlus isn't launching next spring.
    That sucks, so when is it launching since you seem to be 'in the know'?!

Sportsplus would be a good candidate for a DTT channel of course that doesn't appear to be a possibility as cable & satellite rule the roost in this part of the world.

In the US, Universal Sports is a DTT channel in some cities, as well as a cable/satellite channel.

As for CBCSportsPlus launching, I've read in a couple places, that CBC will be airing all World Cup games on the main network, and likely not launching CBCSportsPlus because of the economic situation. They have already had to cut back on track & field, figure skating and aquatics coverage, not to mention Blue Jays Baseball.

CBC SportsPlus is scheduled to launch next fall.

According to Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star, last month CBC applied (or re-applied?) for a new SportsPlus licence, so I assume that would mean there is no firm date for its start since it would have to wait to be approved.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/714694
    ...Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment... drawing up plans for a general sports channel, though they're not giving away any secrets on just what this may contain.

Their plans are the most intriguing of the lot, as they raise all kinds of possibilities. How about an MLSE channel that combines the Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC and Marlies?

That would kill their existing hockey and basketball channels, but would also present an easier route to profit. Of course, MLSE will first have to decide if it can afford to take on any more Leafs games and pass on the $700,000 a game it gets now from Sportsnet...
    I'm still hoping MLSE considers a Toronto over-the-air superstation, although I suppose it's unlikely.

There could be as many as 20 applications for new sports channels for the CRTC to sort through. The Canadian Olympic Committee's proposal for a channel, which sounded more like making themselves a mandatory charity that forced monthly donations from from every cable and satellite subscriber, seems improbable.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/article/718405

Why is the COC application taking so long anyways? Is it because they have the provision that they want it to be a mandatory digital basic channel? Even if that's the case, why in the world would it still be taking this long? It seems pretty unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    last month CBC applied (or re-applied?) for a new SportsPlus licence, so I assume that would mean there is no firm date for its start since it would have to wait to be approved.
    They already have a license for SportsPlus. It is scheduled to launch next fall. This new application is to take advantage of the coming changes to CRTC policy, allowing competion.

The bidding for the 2014 and 2016 Olympics is expected to start next fall, CBC will probably want it to to be carried by most providers by the time that starts so they have a cable channel to bid with.

Add two more applicants to the list, Radio-Canada & MLSE have applied for General interest Sports services as well:

3- Radio-Canada Sports (CBC)
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-803.htm#8

4- Mainstream Sports (MLSE)
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-803.htm#9

I wonder what MLSE will do with their existing channels (Leafs TV, Raptors TV & GolTV) if they ever launch this channel?! I think they should leave Raptors TV since it also carries programming from NBA TV in the US and GolTV since its the only soccer-centric channel in Canada (Setanta Sports is a pay service so its different IMO) but shut down Leafs TV and add the programming into this general interest service.

With all these broadcasters applying for licenses I see bidding wars in the future for various sporting properties like NHL & NFL, should be some interesting times ahead!
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 12-26-2009 at 08:02 PM.

I'd guess that the new MLSE channel would air all TFC games, some 42 Leafs games (leaving 23 for CBC and 17 for TSN), and 70 Raptors games (leaving 12 for CBC). The TFC and Raptors games would be national, the Leafs games would be regional. I think they'd leave Gol TV and Raptors TV open, and shutdown Leafs TV as well.

According to Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star, last month CBC applied (or re-applied?) for a new SportsPlus licence
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    They already have a license for SportsPlus. It is scheduled to launch next fall. This new application is to take advantage of the coming changes to CRTC policy, allowing competion.
    I saw on the CRTC website, I think only a little while ago, CBC has applied to amend it's licence to essentially convert it to a mainstream sports channel. They haven't applied for an entirely new licence.

Chris Hebb of MLSE sounded vague and non-committal regarding their proposed new channel. It almost seems like a fall-back option to use only if they think they could earn more money than they would selling game broadcast rights to other channels.

Rogers received approval today to turn Sportsnet into a National sports service, no mention of when this takes effect however?! Looks like Rogers won't need that Mainstream Sports license they applied for now.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-4.htm

This isn't a big change, notice this quote

1. (a) The licensee shall provide a national, English-language specialty programming service that shall consist of programming dedicated to all aspects of sports with an emphasis on mainstream Canadian professional sports. The licensee may provide multiple feeds.
    I doubt that the 4 regional Sportsnet's will disappear. The only thing this does is take away the restrictions of having to air a certain amount of regional and different programming on each station.

William Houston says CBC has indefinitely shelved their proposed sports channel.
    http://www.truthandrumours.net/2010/...ports-channel/

My guess is that it will resurface after the 2010 Olympics when CBC needs a specialty channel to bid against CTV/TSN for the 2014 and 2016 Olympics. That is unless The Score or Sportsnet were to bid with them.

That sucks about CBC SportsPlus, although I am not that disappointed since they wanted to turn the focus away from amateur and air mainly professional sports like TSN. I would like to see more amateur stuff which is why I was excited when I first heard they planned on launching a sports channel but I guess their is not enough interest in amateur sports. Hopefully SportsPlus is not dead and will see the light of day sometime down the road.

Frankly I don't see any of the broadcasters who have applied for sports services launching their channels. CBC/Radio-Canada might launch down the road but they need to acquire more pro sports content which they don't have right now. TVA faces a content hurdle as well since incumbent RDS probably owns the rights to most sports leagues. MLSE same thing, but they could get by with Leafs/Raptors stuff for a bit of time in the beginning. I think they might try and make a bid at buying The Score before they look at launching their own service from scratch.

Personally, I don't think there is a need for any more general sports channels since you already have TSN, TSN2 (soon to be a full, separate channel), Sportsnet (now a national service) and RDS for the French market. I hope someone else does launch a channel just for competition sake but it would have to be someone with deep pockets who could snatch some rights away from CTVcrapmedia.

I am surprised that The Score has not applied to amend their license to become a general sports channel instead of a sports news service it is now?! I guess that means they don't have the money to be able to go after the rights to the various sports properties?!
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 01-22-2010 at 04:57 PM.

My hope with Sports Plus was that we would get alpine skiing live in HD. I suppose that an HD version of Bold would fix that too.

William Houston says CBC has indefinitely shelved their proposed sports channel.
    ... and this CRTC Decision appears:
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-93.htm

Ottawa, 16 February 2010

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
    Across Canada

CBC SportsPlus – Licence amendment

1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, English-language Category 2 specialty television programming undertaking known as CBC SportsPlus in order to replace its current conditions of licence with the standard conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-562 and to allow the service to be available for distribution in high definition format until the end of its licence term, consistent with the approach set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2003-61, 2006-74 and 2008-100. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The amended conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.

"It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

In case you didn't read the fine print, this application was filed by the CBC several months ago. It takes time between when an application is filed and when the CRTC posts it on its website or announces a hearing for it.

Not sure the intention of your post, but I believe that they still intend to launch this service at some point just probably not in the near future. They have until August 2011 to launch and even then could request an extension so there is still time to get this on the air.

"Rogers Sportsnet Extra"

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...article/778205
    ...channel tentatively named Rogers Sportsnet Extra, which could launch sometime this year.

...Sportsnet was granted the licence for Sportsnet Extra in January with plans to air a variety of sports.

A Sportsnet spokesperson said there are no firm plans to launch the channel in the next few months.