Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    ...I don't see any of the broadcasters who have applied for sports services launching their channels...
    I don't think there is a need for any more general sports channels since you already have TSN, TSN2 (soon to be a full, separate channel), Sportsnet...
    It does appear that CBC, Sportsnet, and MLSE have each applied for or received licences then lost enthusiasm for any definite plans to actually start the new channels.

Looking again at the article I mentioned in the preceding post, it's mostly about the Toronto Blue Jays having their games on Sportsnet and TSN. Like the CFL, none of their games are available over-the-air. I've assumed everyone in Canada who watches sports almost certainly receives Sportsnet and TSN (or RDS in Quebec), and things like the Grey Cup and NHL playoffs receive high ratings.

But I saw some comments posted elsewhere that brought up some points questioning if some sports may be better off with some OTA exposure. Although not making the playoffs for 16 years is the major reason, attendance at Toronto Blue Jay games has declined to only 10,000 being announced at some games. Could it be that some people -- those in the Buffalo NY region who can't receive TSN and Sportsnet, kids and very casual fans on the Canadian side of the border who ignore the sports channels -- have virtually forgotten the team exists?

And if the BDUs will be forced to black out the U.S. networks and pay for the Canadian OTA stations, could this pave the way for the re-appearance of sports?

Right now, the likes of CTV and Global are addicted to simsubs. But black outs would allow them more freedom to arrange their own schedules, both nationally and locally. A network like CTV, CityTV, 'A', or Global, or even just an affiliate in a particular city, could air a live game while U.S. stations were blacked out. They could then air the American shows at another time.

Adding some high profile sports to their programming line ups could theoretically increase the amount the station could demand from BDUs. For example, if a local OTA station carried a certain number of that city's NHL team's games, presumably the cable companies in that region would certainly want to carry that station and may be willing to pay more for it than another station.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 05-01-2010 at 07:38 PM.

The Toronto Star is claiming that Rogers is in talks to buy controlling interest in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, the company that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC. If this Rogers take-over does occur, I would assume the plans for the MLSE Mainstream Sports channel would be cancelled, and the future of Leafs TV may even be in doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    The Toronto Star is claiming that Rogers is in talks to buy controlling interest in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, the company that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC. If this Rogers take-over does occur, I would assume the plans for the MLSE Mainstream Sports channel would be cancelled, and the future of Leafs TV may even be in doubt.
    Why do you think Leafs TV would be in doubt? They might merge it into a Sportsnet Toronto channel, but they're not going to put all that programming on Sportsnet Ontario.

Their anonymous source doesn't seem to understand how NHL TV rights are sold. The league sells national rights so Rogers couldn't say, ‘No more Leaf games on TSN', without the agreement of the NHL.

TSN has "regional" rights to 10 Leafs games that they are allowed to carry nationally though, so they would probably be down to 7 Leafs games a season.

Leafs TV would almost certainly stick around. I think that it could be combined with Raptors TV though. Also, it is possible that Rogers would have to sell GolTV because they already own Setanta. Rogers would have a monopoly on EPL, UCL and Liga rights if they had both.

Leafs TV would almost certainly stick around. I think that it could be combined with Raptors TV though
    Raptors TV doesn't exist anymore, its now NBA TV Canada so I don't see how you can combine the two?! I would get rid of Leafs TV, all it airs is old leaf games and magazine shows. NBA TV on the other hand airs plenty of live NBA games so I would leave that one as is for basketball fans.

Why do you think Leafs TV would be in doubt? They might merge it into a Sportsnet Toronto channel,
    Oh great, another damn Sportsnet channel- how many do we need, there are already 5 of them! I would get rid of the regional channels and instead launch a second sportsnet one channel. What do they air on a regional basis besides hockey that justifies keeping these regional channels?! Regional networks are more popular in the US where they also have a bigger population, I don't think they really work here although that is probably because Rogers hasn't treated them as being regional channels?! All channels are available on all providers, if they were true regional channels then you would only receive the channel applicable to your area NOT all 4 of them!?
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 12-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Also, it is possible that Rogers would have to sell GolTV because they already own Setanta.
    Why?

Raptors TV doesn't exist anymore, its now NBA TV Canada so I don't see how you can combine the two?! I would get rid of Leafs TV, all it airs is old leaf games and magazine shows. NBA TV on the other hand airs plenty of live NBA games so I would leave that one as is for basketball fans.
    Meant I would merge it with NBATV Canada. The only problem might be that LeafsTV can't air outside of Leafs territory. If Rogers doesn't think that a baseball channel is worth it, then I wonder if they think a basketball channel is worth it. Many of the NBA games on NBATV Canada would fit well on Sportsnet One.

They might have to sell GolTV because it and Setanta are the same type of channel. The CRTC is supposed to force companies to sell these channels (examples Citytv and 'A' or TSN and Sportsnet for Bell/CTVGlobemedia). I kind of doubt that they will though. Rogers having a monopoly on all major leagues except Serie A wouldn't be a good thing.

Also, it is possible that Rogers would have to sell GolTV because they already own Setanta.
    They won't have to sell anything, the sports market has been deregulated effective 2011 so it doesn't matter how many sports channels one owns. Also Setanta and Goltv are two different channels- one airs manly British soccer & Rugby while the other has MLS and soccer from Spanish speaking countries.

...I would get rid of Leafs TV, all it airs is old leaf games and magazine shows. NBA TV on the other hand airs plenty of live NBA games...
    I don't receive any of those 3 MLSE channels, but comments I've heard or read about Leafs TV imply it's existence would be largely pointless without any live Leaf games, which you'd think would all be on the Sportsnet channels if this takeover happens.
    Presumably Gol TV and NBA TV must have some kind of agreement or association with their American counterparts and get a significant part of their programming from them? Isn't the Canadian Gol TV still partly owned by the American one?

Apparently the attempts to sell the 66% of MLSE may have started as long as a year ago, which would explain MLSE failing to follow through with launching the Mainstream Sports channel that had already been approved by the CRTC. It is disappointing that a new channel that would have had a real chance of being successful (at least in Ontario), gets gobbled up by one of its media conglomerate competitors before it can even get off the ground.