Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

TVA looking to launch kids channel

TVA has applied to the CRTC to launch a channel aimed at preschoolers called TVA Junior. (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-632.htm#3)

I guess this explains why Astral has not been successful in launching Vrak Junior, TVA had plans to launch their own service. Pretty hard to launch a channel in Quebec if you can't get carriage on Videotron, the main cable provider.

I don't really see why they want to launch such a channel when they don't own any other kids channels?! Astral owns 3 (Teletoon, Teletoon Retro & VrakTV) and has the resources (programming) to launch another. In any event I think a channel targeted at preschoolers would succeed and there currently is no French equivalent to Treehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I don't really see why they want to launch such a channel when they don't own any other kids channels?! Astral owns 3 (Teletoon, Teletoon Retro & VrakTV) and has the resources (programming) to launch another. In any event I think a channel targeted at preschoolers would succeed and there currently is no French equivalent to Treehouse.
    Why wouldn't they want to launch one? So what if they don't own a kids channel already, that's an even better reason for TVA to launch a kids channel, that means there's probably less chance for TVA Junior to rerun programming we've already seen before. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Why wouldn't they want to launch one? So what if they don't own a kids channel already, that's an even better reason for TVA to launch a kids channel, that means there's probably less chance for TVA Junior to rerun programming we've already seen before. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    I guess your right, I was just thinking in terms of programming they do not have any existing content so what are they going to use for CDN content- are they going to produce their own?! They will probably source content from Canadian producers like Nelvana & Cookie Jar Entertainment, one thing that Canada has is good quality kids programming.

I see this channel launching since TVA is owned by Quebecor who also own Videotron. Hopefully they throw in some programming from France, nice change from US programming which seems to be everywhere in Canada these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I guess your right, I was just thinking in terms of programming they do not have any existing content so what are they going to use for CDN content- are they going to produce their own?!
    They will probably want for some part of the schedule to compete against Teletoon Retro by using the cartoons they are using from Prise 2: Les tortues ninja, les pierrafeu, Yogi et ses amis, Scooby-doo, Les 4 Fantastiques, Lucky Luke, Casper, Bugs Bunny...

If they propose a new channel, maybe they have a plan on their own they don't want to reveal... yet. We'll see.

TVA + prescholers = ??????

I just wondered when and how Quebecor wants to built a channel targeted to youngs childrens when Astral have a better chance.

BTW, Tele-Quebec, Radio-Canada and TFO did a fine job with prescholers shows so, it's don't need to a 24-hours channel to a audience in plenty learnship.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    They will probably want for some part of the schedule to compete against Teletoon Retro by using the cartoons they are using from Prise 2: Les tortues ninja, les pierrafeu, Yogi et ses amis, Scooby-doo, Les 4 Fantastiques, Lucky Luke, Casper, Bugs Bunny...

If they propose a new channel, maybe they have a plan on their own they don't want to reveal... yet. We'll see.
    perhaps they want to add these show to add more old shows on prise 2. because so far, animation takes lots of place on that channel. we'll see when that happen.