Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Re-Branding

Re-Branding

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on all of these specialty channels and networks re-branding are?

I mean there has been a lot of channels that have re-branded in a short amount of time, ie:
    08/05 NewNet stations --> A-Channel
    08/05 Craig Media's A-Channels --> Citytv
    04/05 PrideVision --> OUTtv
    03/06 talktv --> MTV
    06/06 Prime --> TVtropolis
    10/06 CTV Travel --> travel + escape
    and recently Life Network --> Slice, and on March 12 Report on Business Television will change its name to BBN - Business News Netork. Also MTV and MTV2 re-branded to Razer and PunchMuch in 2003.

For the amount of chanels that we have this is a lot of rebrands in a short amount of time. Some of them simply changed there name and that was it such as ROBTv will and A-Channels/Citytv's did but others dramaticlly changed their format (while sticking to their CRTC license) such as TVtropolis and MTV.

So what do you think, were these re-brands worth it? Are these channels actualy better now? Is the on-air look better and so on?

Personally I think MTV and MTV2 were better then Razer and PunchMuch although I like the interactive features that PunchMuch has added. For the rest of them I think they all are pretty much better once they re-branded (yes even Slice although I'm still disappointed with it, they could have done so muhc more with it ;)).
    Last edited by musimax; 03-13-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding info that was left out

TV Tropolis is doing much much better than Prime was doing.

I think MTV & MTV2 were rebranded because of a contract thing with CHUM/MTV.

Most of the time a name change/re-brand is because the station is doing bad or horrible. Like TalkTV & Prime were just doing awful, Life Network was down alot. These networks needed a change and something fresh to gain in ratings.

I think the rebrand of all the channels worked well except for MTV and MTV2 CHum was forced to get rid of the MTV name so i guess the ideas for the channels were rushed. I thought ROB -tv needed a rebrand its looked the same since forever but BNN is still a bad name.

It's hard to keep up these days, that is for sure.

Combine that with Rogers recent dial changes - and it gets harder to keep tabs.

With the sales of all the parent companies back and forth I predict that we will see quite a few more re-brands as the new owners evaluate and make changes.

Yeah talktv was a horrible channel, complete waste of space, it's like a million times better now as MTV, they are at least creating original content and getting new content that not seen in Canada. But wasn't Prime actually a pretty successful channel? Maybe it slipped a bit but I thought it was doing well but they decided to re-brand b/c this would do better...?

With CTV selling all those other specialty channels like CLT, SexTV, MusiMax, etc..... most, if not all will probably re-brand. First of all, CHUM prolly owns the SexTV brand b/c they own the rights to SexTV the series and most likly won't let the next owners keep the name, and I would guess that the next owners will prolly gear it more towards relationships and so on and not so much about sexuality, CLT will prolly just re-brand for the sake of it and give it a new look and feel and so on and MusiquePlus and MusiMax, it's kinda hard to know what might happen with them because they are apart of the Much brand so if CHUM has no control or owonership in it anymore will they really let another owner especially in Canada own a channel with thier brand, prolly not. I would think that they might re-brand as well, maybe create a french Canadian version of MTV, who knows? as for OLN, prolly stay the same since Comcast still will own a part of it.

Prime was not doing very well, well atleast not well enough for Global. Rebranding Prime as TVTroplis turned out very well. TVTroplis is much more successful than Prime ever was.

I don't think much will change from OLN. The only thing that will probally change is no more encores of The Amazing Race.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post

With CTV selling all those other specialty channels like CLT, SexTV, MusiMax, etc..... most, if not all will probably re-brand. First of all, CHUM prolly owns the SexTV brand b/c they own the rights to SexTV the series and most likly won't let the next owners keep the name, and I would guess that the next owners will prolly gear it more towards relationships and so on and not so much about sexuality, CLT will prolly just re-brand for the sake of it and give it a new look and feel and so on and MusiquePlus and MusiMax, it's kinda hard to know what might happen with them because they are apart of the Much brand so if CHUM has no control or owonership in it anymore will they really let another owner especially in Canada own a channel with thier brand, prolly not. I would think that they might re-brand as well, maybe create a french Canadian version of MTV, who knows? as for OLN, prolly stay the same since Comcast still will own a part of it.
    Why would CTV want to sell Musique Plus and musimax? they have no competion there the only one who broadcast French music videos and about rebranding OLN isnt it supposed to rebrand because the us version rebranded to VS. I think its unnessary to rebrand CLT it would just confuse everyone because the canadian learning televion brand is already so striaght forward

I don't think CTV cares about French stations though. That's why they are being sold. Wouldn't they only own some of the station anyway?

ya i forgot about that the other 50% is owned by astral and anyways theres a lot more channels they should unload like book tv ,fashion television and razer. CTV globe media also owns RDS RIS ARTTV and TQS which are all french channels im not sure why Musique plus and Musimax cant fit in there.

Yeah selling MusiquePlus and MusiMax was the thing that was so confusing about it all, it would have been better to sell of ARTV then either one of those two I think. CTV wouldn't sell RDS or RIS b/c first they are connected to the TSN brand (but then again they sold channels under the Much brand, so maybe that argument is mute) and secondly they are under the ownership of "CTV Specialty Television Inc." where ESPN owns 20% of that company. I don't know the technicalities of it all but I'm sure ESPN wouldn't let CTV sell them off or any other channels under that ownership either.