Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Global Ushers In The Festive Season With The 105th Annual Santa Claus Parade

Global Television Ushers In The Festive Season With The 105th Annual Santa Claus Parade

Global Toronto’s Leslie Roberts And Et Canada’s Rosey Edeh Host The World’s Largest And Oldest Christmas Parade

Sunday, November 15, 2009
    Pre-Parade Breakfast: 9 – 11 A.M. ET At Dundas Square
    Parade: 12:30 P.M. ET
    Parade Broadcast On Global: 4 P.M. ET

(Toronto) The holiday season starts with ninety minutes of music, fun and spectacle on Sunday, November 15 at 4 pm ET/PT when Global Television telecasts Toronto’s legendary Santa Claus Parade.

For generations it has been the harbinger of the festive season and, this year, Global Toronto’s Leslie Roberts and ET Canada’s Rosey Edeh will host the broadcast of the 105th Annual Santa Claus Parade.

“Young or old, the parade continues to dazzle our viewers across the country and we are honoured to be part of a holiday tradition that brings joy to so many,” said Christine Shipton, Senior Vice-President of Drama and Factual Content for Canwest Broadcasting.

Parade enthusiasts will also have the chance to win Global VIP parade seating, sponsored by Duracell, through a special on-air contest running October 26-November 6, 2009 on Global Toronto’s News Hour at 6.

Celebrating its 25th year as parade broadcaster, Global Toronto is also a sponsor of the pre-parade breakfast presented by President’s Choice Financial and taking place at Dundas Square from 9 – 11 am ET. Hosted by Global Toronto meteorologist Anthony Farnell and weekend anchor Carolyn MacKenzie, the public is encouraged to stop by for a complimentary breakfast and to enjoy the family-friendly activities.

The parade begins at 12:30 pm ET at the corner of Bloor and Christie Streets, running east on Bloor, then south on University Avenue and completing its run at the intersection of Front and Church Streets. Featured will be an impressive medley of brand new floats and returning favourites like “Mother Goose” and “Santa’s Workshop,” as well as parade marshals, volunteers, and celebrity clowns. The parade is a non-profit organization that is supported by corporate sponsors.

“Year after year, hundreds of thousands of people line the streets of Toronto to take part in the wonder and joy of the Santa Claus Parade,” said Alfred Iannarelli, Parade General Manager and Creative Director. “Santa’s little helpers have been working hard to ensure the 2009 parade delights and entertains all.”

Toronto’s Santa Claus Parade is seen across the world by viewers in Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Norway through the "Operation Santa Network."

“This time-honoured tradition is a perfect start to the holiday season for our viewers,” said Patrick O’Hara, GM for Global Toronto & VP, Eastern Stations. “We are very pleased to be celebrating the holiday season by telecasting the world’s longest running, most extensive Christmas Parade.”

Global Television Broadcast times:

105th Annual Santa Claus Parade

Sunday, November 15, 4 – 5:30 p.m. local
    Global Toronto, Global Montreal, Global Winnipeg, Global Regina, Global Saskatoon, Global Calgary, Global Edmonton, Global Lethbridge, Global BC, Global Okanagan

Sunday, November 22, 2:30 – 4 p.m. local
    Global Maritimes

Santa’s On His Way*Pre-Parade Special with Meteorologist Anthony Farnell*
    (to air on all Global affiliates)

Saturday, November 14 – 7pm ET/PT
    Sunday, November 15 – 3:30pm ET/PT *Encore Presentation*
    Sunday, November 22 – 2pm *Maritimes Only*

The complete Parade broadcast will also be available online at www.GlobalTV.com beginning Monday, November 16th.

For further details on The Toronto Santa Claus Parade, please visit: www.thesantaclausparade.com

Global Television is a Canwest Broadcasting network.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I miss the old days when Christmas was a day, not a three-month carnival.:p

Considering this is the 105th Annual parade, when you say the old days you must be going pretty far back.

What happened to Susan Hay? ...

Quote Originally Posted by vanessab View Post
    What happened to Susan Hay? ...
    I'm not sure, my guess is for some reason she was unable to do it this year, since she has been the host for so many years, it's unlikely that it was Global's decision.

Hmm - interesting. Rosey is a good choice.

How come they don't do a live broadcast of the parade? Certainly they have the programming space open because of no more NFL simulcast. I guess they want people to actually go and see the parade in person. The Vancouver parade is pre-taped and aired almost 1-2 weeks later!

Quote Originally Posted by Simsub_hater View Post
    I miss the old days when Christmas was a day, not a three-month carnival.:p
    Yea, but I don't mind it being big for 6 weeks.

Right, but I wasn't directing this at the parade specifically, just the overall push of Christmas into October and even September. Just today I saw a Sears commercial referencing Christmas... pretty pathetic.