Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

MExcess and MFun go HD Nov. 1

MExcess and MFun will be launching in HD on Nov. 1, the only confirmed BDU that I know of that will carry it so far is Cogeco.

So what's the deal, the only one left not in HD would be MFest, why not just go ahead and launch an HD version of that channel while you're at it?
    Last edited by musimax; 10-29-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Pleaaaaaase Videotron, pick them up, pleaaaaaaase!
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

Oh great, lucky easterners yet again, hopefully Corus won't take forever getting the rest of the MC suite HD.

HBO and SHO have all 7 of their multiplex channels in HD, all Cinemax channels are HD, most of the Starz! channels are HD except for 2 in their multiplex.

I'm finding the MC SD suite practically useless since they're showing a lot of their content in widescreen format, obviously just using the HD master downconverted to SD. The thing is they tend to not run the good movies often enough on MCHD2, I know there was something I wanted to catch one night, missed setting a timer for it and doing a search the next airing was like 2 weeks away in HD.

So they'll air it a few more times during the period on the SD suite, but that just looks like crap zoomed to fit the full screen on a 42" set.

Come on MC, it is only 2 more channels to fill the HD suite up, so do it already.

Either that, maybe Corus and Astral could start putting more recent movies on the shared HBO Canada feed, it could use them because other than the original series airing on it most of the movies are really just old made-for-HBO stuff and Cancon filler material to maintain the quota. HBO does air new movies ya know, so if they both have the rights to something then just stick it on HBO Canada.

Oh, and how about rerunning the boxing at the times announced during the match, the last fight they had the IPG was way off time wise, when our PVR kicked in the fight was in the last round of the main event, then you get the HBO crew announcing the rerun times for it including reruns on HBO and HBO2 .. but I don't believe it gets any reruns on HBO Canada. It's bad enough the "coming up next" spot announced a movie I wanted to see but MC isn't running that month. Grrr .. sucks having HBO Lite :)

Correction: The HD channels didn't launch on November 1, it will instead launch in December, from the looks of it, December 1 to be exact, hopefully anyways.

Either way with Bell we are stuck with the lone MCHD channel which is a waste of bandwidth. I had it for 2 months. I watched 1 movie on it.
    ________
    Bbw japanese
    Last edited by HT Gearhead; 03-21-2011 at 11:34 AM.

MCHD? So you mean Movie Central HD right? If you receive Movie Central HD then you won't be able to receive The Movie Network or any of its multiplex channels which include MFun and MExcess. That's not Bell TV's fault, those channels are just not allowed to be viewed in Western Canada per CRTC rules. Bell TV can only offer what Corus wants to launch and currently there is only 1 Movie Central branded HD multiplex channel, so agin, not really Bell TV's fault.

Funny thing about MC is on Shaw Cable you get Encore Avenue HD and they've put EA2 SD into basic cable. You get EAHD in the HD Plus package which is a nice bonus as they do show a decent selection of older movies in HD. But, when you subscribe to the MC package you do not get EA1 as part of the package, they want $3 more for that one channel. Needless to say we didn't add on that extra channel since it is only SD anyway.

So at least on Shaw you do get 3 HD movie channels, but it would be nice to see the remaining 2 MC suite channels go full HD soon since they're mostly airing movies in widescreen format anyway likely using the HD master they get.

As it is the sole MCHD2 feed tends to not air the bigger movies as much as they could, I've looked for some newer movies that seemed to be only airing once or twice in a month while stuff nobody would really want to watch airs every couple days. Meanwhile that movie you want to see is airing all over the place on the SD suite. Just put the whole suite HD and be done with it already.