Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

FOX pulls Our Little Genius from schedule before it premieres!

FOX has pulled the reality show Our Little Genius from it's schedule, the show was set to premiere this Wednesday at 9:15PM right after American Idol.

First, Here is part of an article from The New York Times on the series (posted before FOX pulled the series)
    “Our Little Genius,” gives children 6 to 12 a chance “to put their incredible knowledge to the test and win life-changing money for their families,” according to the Fox publicity materials.

The game show’s questions, on topics that the child chooses, like astronomy, the Civil War or Greek mythology, increase in difficulty over 10 levels, with each level worth an amount ranging from $1,000 to $500,000. At each level, it is the parents of the contestant who decide whether to advance to the next question or to stick with the money they have already won. Once they get above $10,000, they are guaranteed at least that much. But any additional winnings will disappear if their child attempts a new question and fails.

The issue of whether preteen prodigies might be under an unhealthy amount of pressure when up to $500,000 is riding on their ability to remember, for example, the location of several different landmarks in ancient Egypt, has bothered some clinical psychologists and behavioral experts. The producers, however, say the show simply celebrates the children, who are recruited from school programs for gifted students, Mensa and other organizations. The burden of whether to continue playing, they say, is on the parents.

“Will they take the money and go home, or will they allow their child to go on to the next question?” Mr. Burnett said. “The pressure is actually on the parents. The kids don’t seem to ever believe they won’t know something.”

But just in case, the producers at a recent taping had the show’s host, the comedian Kevin Pollak and the contestant tape some fake endings to be inserted into the broadcast if the child subsequently answered a question wrong. In doing so, they were able to capture the young participant giving an aw-shucks response to a supposed wrong answer — rather than, say, breaking down in tears — as his parents joined him onstage, and the audience applauded with a resounding show of support.

Why the producers might anticipate a less-than-pleasant scene after a real game-ending question became clear when a contestant missed one part of a four-part question. The boy looked crestfallen, his eyes cast downward, as the audience moaned its disappointment. His parents and other supporters tried to buck him up, reminding him that he still was walking away with $10,000.

---------

Sorry but I have a real problem this this, fake endings? If the kids response is so unpleasant that they don't want to show it on television, then they shouldn't be doing the show in the first place.

Not saying this was the reason why the show was pulled, but I think it should be.

Anyways FOX just put out this Press Release:

HOT FROM FOX...
    "OUR LITTLE GENIUS" WILL NOT AIR ON FOX AS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED
    "Our Little Genius" will not premiere Wednesday, Jan. 13, as previously announced.
    Below are statements released today by Mark Burnett and Fox Broadcasting Company.

STATEMENT FROM MARK BURNETT
    "I recently discovered that there was an issue with how some information was relayed to contestants during the pre-production of 'Our Little Genius.' As a result, I am not comfortable delivering the episodes without re-shooting them. I believe my series must always be beyond reproach, so I have requested that FOX not air these episodes."

STATEMENT FROM FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
    "Mark Burnett is one of the pre-eminent producers of unscripted programming on television. Even though we were incredibly pleased with the quality of 'Our Little Genius,' we respect and appreciate his due diligence and the decision to pull these episodes. We agree there can be no question about the integrity of our shows. While these episodes will not air, the families who participated in the show will receive their winnings, and we are grateful for their participation."

In lieu of the previously scheduled episodes, FOX will air an encore of the milestone 450th episode of THE SIMPSONS on Wednesday, Jan. 13 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) following a special extended episode of AMERICAN IDOL (8:00-9:30 PM ET/PT). On Tuesday, Jan. 19, FOX will air an encore of the pilot episode of the new action-drama series HUMAN TARGET (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) following AMERICAN IDOL (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

[EDITOR'S NOTE 1: Further scheduling information will be announced soon.] [EDITOR'S NOTE 2: ID-903 on Tuesday, Jan. 13 will now run 90 minutes, rather than 75 minutes as previously announced.]
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-07-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

*Sigh*. TVViewer's Press Release quote was a copy and paste from The Futon Critic:
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20100107fox01
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

It's actually from the FOX press site (a site you can't access) the same site where The Futon Critic got it from.

Time to put InMontreal back on my ignore list (no idea why I decided to take him off this morning)

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's actually from the FOX press site (a site you can't access) the same site where The Futon Critic got it from.
    You included the EDITOR'S NOTES, which are The Futon Critic's own notes, not the press release's. :)
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    You included the EDITOR'S NOTES, which are The Futon Critic's own notes, not the press release's. :)
    No.

FOX puts those EDITOR NOTES in the press release, it's a note from FOX to the press editor to include that info if they write an article from the press release.

Your continued wrong accusations and how you change the topic of pretty much everything I post is why you will be on my ignore list in a few seconds.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Thursday, Jan. 7, 2010

HOT FROM FOX…

“OUR LITTLE GENIUS” WILL NOT AIR ON FOX AS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED

“Our Little Genius” will not premiere Wednesday, Jan. 13, as previously announced.

Below are statements released today by Mark Burnett and Fox Broadcasting Company.

STATEMENT FROM MARK BURNETT

“I recently discovered that there was an issue with how some information was relayed to contestants during the pre-production of ‘Our Little Genius.’ As a result, I am not comfortable delivering the episodes without re-shooting them. I believe my series must always be beyond reproach, so I have requested that FOX not air these episodes.”

STATEMENT FROM FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY

“Mark Burnett is one of the pre-eminent producers of unscripted programming on television. Even though we were incredibly pleased with the quality of ‘Our Little Genius,’ we respect and appreciate his due diligence and the decision to pull these episodes. We agree there can be no question about the integrity of our shows. While these episodes will not air, the families who participated in the show will receive their winnings, and we are grateful for their participation.”

In lieu of the previously scheduled episodes, FOX will air an encore of the milestone 450th episode of THE SIMPSONS on Wednesday, Jan. 13 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) following a special extended episode of AMERICAN IDOL (8:00-9:30 PM ET/PT). On Tuesday, Jan. 19, FOX will air an encore of the pilot episode of the new action-drama series HUMAN TARGET (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) following AMERICAN IDOL (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT).

[EDITOR’S NOTE 1: Further scheduling information will be announced soon.]

[EDITOR’S NOTE 2: ID-903 on Tuesday, Jan. 13 will now run 90 minutes, rather than 75 minutes as previously announced.]

[EDITOR’S NOTE 3: For revised listings information, please visit foxflash.com.]

-FOX-

310-369-4517

jason.clark@fox.com
    http://www.foxflash.com/div.php/main...94z1z8&ID=5598

As TVViewer would say, YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!!

95% of the time TFC gets their releases straight from the networks, if you notice at the top of many of their articles it says

Released by FOX

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]
    I'm glad the show got canceled, looked really stupid to me from the start. Any word on what will replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    95% of the time TFC gets their releases straight from the networks, if you notice at the top of many of their articles it says

I'm glad the show got canceled, looked really stupid to me from the start. Any word on what will replace it?
    No word yet on the replacement, the press release mentions that they will be airing encores of The Simpsons (Jan 13th) and Human Target (Jan 19th).

This is a pretty big story, American Idol is the best lead-in on television and because of this it's getting wasted with reruns, makes me think something must have gone pretty wrong for FOX to agree to pull the episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    This is a pretty big story, American Idol is the best lead-in on television and because of this it's getting wasted with reruns, makes me think something must have gone pretty wrong for FOX to agree to pull the episodes.

I think the FOX lawyers probably told them there was no way they could air this without serious legal repercussions.