Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Would moving one or two 9pm shows on weaker nights to other nights at 10pm and airing blockbuster movies one or twice a week would be an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a plan to me- Bring Back Great Movies!! (How's that for nostalgia, a taste of the 'old' Citytv within the new Citytv ;))
    Would be nice; but Rogers has stated before the Great Movies programme is dead and with stations like CHCH airing movies during those time slots it wouldn't garnish much viewers, especially now that their 7-10 lineup is already filled.

Maybe they can fill it with Canadian programming?

NBC spinbot Access Hollywood has even confirmed that the plan is to have Jeno at 11:35, Conan at 12:05, and Jimmy at 1:05. They just need to see what Conan is going to do.

TMZ broke the story late last night:

From TMZ.com

As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's pissed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

Also from TMZ

Conan O'Brien may have a late night option if the NBC thing doesn't work out -- TMZ has learned FOX isn't exactly backing away from the idea of bringing him to their network.

As we first reported, NBC is giving Conan the option of taking the midnight spot after Jay Leno, should he so choose.

But a source at FOX -- a logical landing point should Conan become a free agent -- tells TMZ that while they are "always interested in late night" and always "looking to bring great talent to FOX," Conan is still under contract with NBC, so FOX will "just have to see" what happens.

It's not a no.

One possible selling point FOX can make to Conan -- they can offer him an 11:00 PM time slot ... 35 full minutes before Jay or David Letterman take the air.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Even though the Jay Leno show was a failure they should have held out until the summer before pulling this switch. It wouldn't surprise me if NBC decided to strip Dateline in the 10 PM slot and have Friday Night Lights return early and take the 9 PM slot on Fridays. Another idea for their schedule I had was L&O franchise:

Monday - Law & Order (new episodes)
    Tuesday - Law & Order SVU
    Wednesday - Law & Order CI; for the 9 PM hour they could go with USA repeats like White Collar or air the second season of Merlin.
    Thursday - Law & Order UK (they hold the USA rights and this could be a good time to use it)
    Friday - L&O Repeats at 8 PM, Dateline at 9 PM, Friday Night Lights at 10 PM.

There Leno's replacements solved. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if NBC did this and upped their pilot commitment for next season.

I think the reason that NBC did it now was because they want to promote the hell out of Leno going back to 11:35 during the Olympics.

I think NBC will want to save Merlin, Friday Night Lights and Law & Order: CI (and maybe UK as well) for summer. With these surprising changes, who really knows though.

The Olympics is a good advertising platform but the real reason why they did it so soon is the local NBC affiliates. NBC was actually okay with Jay Leno's ratings, sure it wasn't doing well but it was cost-effective for them, but the NBC affiliates were furious as it was bringing down the ratings for their local 11:00PM news big time, NBC has an affiliate meeting on January 21st and the rumour was that many NBC affiliates planned to pre-empt The Jay Leno Show and launch a 10:00PM newscast if NBC didn't make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post

One possible selling point FOX can make to Conan -- they can offer him an 11:00 PM time slot ... 35 full minutes before Jay or David Letterman take the air.
    It seems more and more likely that Conan is willing to leave NBC. Conan mention in his show the other night that, quote: "NBC is going to throw me and Jay in a pit with sharpened sticks. The one who crawls out gets to leave NBC." So he seems hell bent to get out if he can find a legal loophole in his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It seems more and more likely that Conan is willing to leave NBC. Conan mention in his show the other night that, quote: "NBC is going to throw me and Jay in a pit with sharpened sticks. The one who crawls out gets to leave NBC." So he seems hell bent to get out if he can find a legal loophole in his contract.
    He has always made jokes about NBC and Leno. Even if he gets moved back to after midnight, staying with a sure thing at NBC would probably be smarter than making a dubious Mike Bullard-like move to another network. Other than a very small number of successful shows they stick with for a long time, perhaps longer than they should (Married With Children), Fox seems to cancel and replace new shows at a quick rate, including a 2002 series O'Brien helped produce and write for his announcer/sidekick Andy Richter (although NBC later also canned a similar venture after only six episodes).

NBC made its big mistake more than five years ago in 2004, when it inexplicably promised O'Brien would take over The Tonight Show in 2009, even though Leno was doing well in the ratings and had no intention of retiring.

I had never heard of O'Brien before he became the host of Late Night in 1993, but I always liked the desk comedy bits on his show, one after the short (3 jokes) monologue and another after the first guest. The worst Late Night shows were always the ones he did from another city (Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco, etc.) for a week. That's what The Tonight Show has seemed like to me since O'Brien took over, and they've cut out the best part of his show, the comedy bits that older people (like my mother) found offensive, and only do one toned down bit per show. And leaving the smaller studio in New York for the larger one in L.A. has not helped either.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-10-2010 at 08:32 AM.

NBC has officially confirmed the end of The Jay Leno Show February 12:

PASADENA, Calif. -- NBC Universal Television Entertainment Chairman Jeff Gaspin said Sundays that Leno's nightly prime-time show will end with the beginning of the Winter Olympics on Feb. 12.
    Gaspin says NBC wants Leno to do an 11:35 p.m. show each night, a return to his old time slot. He wants Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon's shows to shift back a half hour. Gaspin says that's not a done deal, but he hopes to have NBC's late-night lineup cleared up by the beginning of the Olympics.
    Gaspin said Leno's show performed well enough in the ratings for the networks, but it did not meet the needs of NBC's affiliates.
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...os-prime-time/

Get ready for more Dateline!

Although I think it's a good thing to pull Jay Leno from 10:00PM, NBC's schedule is still going to be a complete disaster until atleast the fall, putting Jay Leno on at 10:00PM was stupid enough, but having no backup plan was even worse. I know NBC keeps saying that Jay Leno did what they expected but they should have known that their local affiliates wouldn't be happy with lower ratings for their 11:00PM newscasts, they should atleast have had a backup plan.

I still think Citytv is very worried over this, Jay Leno may have pulled in horrible ratings at 10:00PM but just like NBC they really don't have anything to replace it with, they now have to find 4/5 hours of programming and they have already aired triple runs of the few Canadian series they have.

Another thing they need to worry about is NBC airing Jay Leno at 11:35PM, if they plan to simulcast the program with NBC they will need to add another 2.5 hours of Canadian content sometime between 6:00PM-12:00AM (CityNews International currently airs at 11:30PM)

Who has Canadian rights to Dateline?

I have a question for someone who knows more about the situation than me (TVViewer maybe). If all 3 shows end up late night on NBC, then does 'A' automatically get rights to Leno's show as well, or does Citytv keep them? Or if Leno's show is technically a new show, would they sell the rights again.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Who has Canadian rights to Dateline?

I have a question for someone who knows more about the situation than me (TVViewer maybe). If all 3 shows end up late night on NBC, then does 'A' automatically get rights to Leno's show as well, or does Citytv keep them? Or if Leno's show is technically a new show, would they sell the rights again.
    No network owns the Canadian rights to Dateline, the last network to air the program was SUN TV and they didn't renew the show because of low ratings.

If The Jay Leno Show is simply moving to 11:30PM then Citytv still automatically has the rights, if it becomes a brand new program then they would sell the rights again.

Mind you this Jay Leno situation has never happened before, and it was never expected that NBC would move The Jay Leno Show from 10:00PM to late night, I don't think Citytv is going to be okay with paying the same price for Jay Leno at 11:35PM that they are currently paying for at 10:00PM.

No network owns the Canadian rights to Dateline, the last network to air the program was SUN TV and they didn't renew the show because of low ratings.

If The Jay Leno Show is simply moving to 11:30PM then Citytv still automatically has the rights, if it becomes a brand new program then they would sell the rights again.

Mind you this Jay Leno situation has never happened before, and it was never expected that NBC would move The Jay Leno Show from 10:00PM to late night, I don't think Citytv is going to be okay with paying the same price for Jay Leno at 11:35PM that they are currently paying for at 10:00PM.
    Mind you if Jay Leno receives the "Tonight Show" name back, if Conan leaves, CTV could claim it's the same show and City would be without a show altogether. I assume that's how they were able to get the Conan Tonight Show right after Leno signed off.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCalgary View Post
    Mind you if Jay Leno receives the "Tonight Show" name back, if Conan leaves, CTV could claim it's the same show and City would be without a show altogether. I assume that's how they were able to get the Conan Tonight Show right after Leno signed off.
    Yes, If Jay Leno moves back to The Tonight Show, CTV has the broadcast rights. It's the same show just with another host.

This is a major possibility since Conan may leave NBC, if that happens they will just give Jay Leno back The Tonight Show, CTVglobemedia will be the big winner if that happens.

That all depends on what CTV's ratings were for The Tonight Show with Conan as opposed to when Jay hosted. CTV doesn't have the weak lead-in issue the NBC affiliates have complained about either. There might be a short term bump but certainly no big CTVgm win (assuming Conan jumps from NBC).

This is a major possibility since Conan may leave NBC, if that happens they will just give Jay Leno back The Tonight Show, CTVglobemedia will be the big winner if that happens.
    "Frankly, you can take a good show and kill it by negligent scheduling and you can take the same show and make it a hit by brilliant scheduling. It's a real craft, and that wasn't practised much here because in private broadcasting up until now, the programmer's job was mostly to choose what to simulcast. The programming is effectively done in Los Angeles."
    - Ivan Fecan, Playback, January 3, 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by 1weasel View Post
    That all depends on what CTV's ratings were for The Tonight Show with Conan as opposed to when Jay hosted. CTV doesn't have the weak lead-in issue the NBC affiliates have complained about either. There might be a short term bump but certainly no big CTVgm win (assuming Conan jumps from NBC).
    Well I consider a ratings jump for The Tonight Show a win for CTVglobemedia. Considering how bad Conan has done on The Tonight Show in the ratings compared to Jay in the U.S., I can't imagine it's any better in Canada.

Conan says he refuses to host The Tonight Show at 12:05AM. He said he has no other offers from another network and hopes that NBC will change it's mind.

I guess this means that Conan will leave the network, it's not like NBC is going to change it's mind because Conan doesn't like it.

Statement from Conan from The New York Times

People of Earth:

In the last few days, Iíve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, Iíve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, Iíve been absurdly lucky. That said, Iíve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The
    Tonight Show
    in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my T
    onight Show
    in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the
    Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isnít the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman
    and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The
    Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesnít matter. But with the Tonight Show
    , I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; itís always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

So what happens with The Tonight Show for the next month? Is Conan gone immediately for reruns, or does he still do a few last new ones before leaving?

There must be more to this than we know. If his contract to do The Tonight Show was for two years, maybe they told him you can stay at 12:05 for the next year and a few months, and then you're gone, so he figured he might as well leave now anyway.

Also, in interviews before he left Late Night and moved to Los Angeles, he said the show would continue doing the same things he'd been doing in New York, and wouldn't have to cut out the more juvenile (or offensive, depending on your taste I suppose) stuff he did at 12:37AM. But that's exactly what did happen. No sign of things like The Masturbating Bear, the sexist and racist ghost singer from the 1930s, or the arrogant American-bashing Euro Guy with the silly clothes. And in their place, the obviously sponsored and purposefully inoffensive and unfunny Twitter Tracker thing that even the studio audience had trouble trying to politely applaud for.

He does mention turning down other offers (I assume for more money and likely an earlier time slot, in 2004) because NBC promised him the Tonight Show. Even though he says he does not know where he's going next, you'd have to think he wouldn't leave unless he had something else lined up that guarantees him more than he would get by staying at NBC.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-16-2010 at 01:33 PM.

A few days ago the news outlets were reporting that Conan had three options to choose from... they were:

1. Quit the show, leave NBC, and collect the $80 million or so that is guaranteed to him by NBC ($20 million a year for the next four years) while not having to do anything for the next four years.

2. Go to either Fox or ABC and start a competing late-night show. If this were to happen, NBC would still have to pay him the offset amount left by his new deal. So say Conan goes to ABC or FOX for $15 million a year, and his current NBC deal pays him $20 million a year, NBC would still have to pay him the remaining $5 million a year.

3. Accept the 12:05AM ET timeslot that NBC is now offering, and continue getting his $20 million a year salary despite being at a later timeslot. This is what NBC is said to be hoping for as they don't want Conan going to another network and competing against Leno.
    So now that Conan has confirmed that he won't do #3, he only has 2 options. Either disappear for 4 years and still get NBC contract money, or hope for a deal with Fox (since ABC has since commented that they don't want him).

Or a new option — hope NBC somehow changes their mind and lets him keep his Tonight Show at 11:35.
    Last edited by Simsub_hater; 01-12-2010 at 06:37 PM.

What does the following mean for Conan O'Brien?

1. Quit the show, leave NBC, and collect the $80 million or so that is guaranteed to him by NBC ($20 million a year for the next four years) while not having to do anything for the next four years.

To my mind, that means NBC could pay him $20 million per year to stay off television altogether for four seasons.

Is that a correct assumption? If it is, does that mean he can or cannot appear
    on any other network in any capacity for the four year term?

-------

This reminds me of the 30-year contract a network [NBC?] signed with Milton Berle for
    $100 thousand a year. It also meant Berle could not appear on any other network
    during that time and if the network didn't want to use him in any season, they
    weren't obliged to put him on the air.

At the end of the 30th year, the purchasing power of $100 thousand was
    greatly diminished.

Is the same thing happening to Conan O'Brien?

Perhaps someone could shed more light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Global BC doesn't have a evening newscast at 10 PM though, so Citytv wouldn't have any competition against anyone besides CHEK. It is smart move to start newscast at 10 PM in these markets, but I am worried that CHEK would beat CKVU at 10 PM. The Citytv outside of Toronto needs to have a evening newscast if it wants to be considered a serious source for local news. Having just BT doesn't cut it.
    I agree CityTv should launch a 10pm newscast i believe it will do well