Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Jay Leno Show Cancellation Hoses Canada’s Citytv

Malcolm Dunlop, executive vp programming at Rogers Media Television, expressed disappointment with NBC retiring Leno from 10 p.m. [...]
    Dunlop did not indicate where he will find replacement shows for Citytv’s 10 p.m. schedule after the Winter Olympics get under way next month on rival CTV in Canada.

NBC’s backpedaling on Jay Leno also will complicate scheduling at CTV, which airs “The Tonight Show With Conan O’Brien” and “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” on its subsidiary A Channel.

CTV will wait to see how NBC gets out of its jam of late-night talkers before making its own scheduling moves.

Now /A\ has to find something to air from 11:35 to 12:05, since I assume Citytv still has the rights to 11:35 The Jay Leno Show.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Citytv statement from The Toronto Sun:

“We are disappointed that The Jay Leno Show has been cancelled, Our audience numbers were meeting our projections and Jay Leno at 10 p.m. fit well into Citytv’s desire to be innovative and proved our willingness to take some risks, We will announce our revised 10 p.m. schedule very shortly.”

-Malcolm Dunlop, executive VP of programming at Rogers Media Television

----

I guess getting beat by specialty channels head to head at 10:00PM was included in Citytv's projections

Not surprised Citytv is unhappy, they now have to find about 4 replacement shows. And even though his ratings were bad, it was still likely better than what Citytv was airing at 10:00PM last year. vh1 trash may be on it's way back.

I don't think it's such a big deal for /A\, they could just throw on another run of TMZ.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Citytv statement from The Toronto Sun:

“We are disappointed that The Jay Leno Show has been cancelled, Our audience numbers were meeting our projections and Jay Leno at 10 p.m. fit well into Citytv’s desire to be innovative and proved our willingness to take some risks, We will announce our revised 10 p.m. schedule very shortly.”

Bad choice of words. How can a canadian network call itself "innovative" by airing a US show at the same time as it's originating network with simsub?

Hey, come to think of it, I could sing Hannah Montana's most recent song, record it, send it to local radios and say it's innovative...
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

... Citytv’s desire to be innovative and proved our willingness to take some risks, We will announce our revised 10 p.m. schedule very shortly.”

Haha! What a laughable quote! It was NBC taking risks, not Citytv. City can just easily sit back and find any random other shows to replace Leno, or better yet, get ORIGINAL programming??? nawww... But NBC actually has to produce its own shows (yeah, imagine that!) to come in and replace Leno. Do you think NBC wanted to cancel the Leno Show at 10?? It was doing fine for NBC, it was their affiliates that were pissed off about it. Plus, it's not like The Leno Show wasn't going to get picked up by a Canadian network... Citytv just happened to be the one to go for it. That's not risky, that's just saying "ooo I'll pick this American show to air".

I don't think it's such a big deal for /A\, they could just throw on another run of TMZ.
    Actually, Conan may opt out of his show altogether, he is being given the option to quit and go to Fox (or ABC?) or even take a leave of absence with pay. If he does, I wonder if CTV will even bother keeping Fallon, considering it will get horrible ratings if they have to put random reruns for the hour or so that will precede it.
    Last edited by Simsub_hater; 01-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simsub_hater View Post
    Haha! What a laughable quote! It was NBC taking risks, not Citytv. City can juts easily find any random other shows to replace Leno, or better yet, get ORIGINAL programming??? But NBC actually has to produce its own shows (yeah, imagine that!) to come in and replace Leno. Do you think they wanted to cancel the Leno Show at 10?? It was doing fine for them, it was their affiliates that were pissed off.

Actually, Conan may opt out of his show altogether, he is being given three options. If he does, I wonder if CTV will even bother keeping Fallon, considering it will get horrible ratings if they have to put random reruns for an hour before it.
    I actually agree with you that the Citytv quote was laughable, not for the exact same reasons but I agree that Citytv can hardly say it took a risk, they had nothing to air at 10:00PM, CTV and Global already owned all the 10:00PM shows, I don't see how picking up The Jay Leno Show instead of airing vh1 reality shows is taking a huge risk or being innovative. I do disagree though that it will be easy for Citytv to just find 4 other programs, they really don't have much hit programming available, it's not good news for Citytv at all.

As I said in the other thread, /A\ is the big winner if Conan leaves NBC, becuase that means that Jay returns to The Tonight Show. /A\ wont have to put random reruns before it, it will be The Tonight Show with Jay at 11:35PM with Late Night with Jimmy at 12:35AM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Okay... so here's my picks for the 10pm schedule:

MON:
    10pm: Friends
    10:30pm: Friends

TUE:
    10pm: Friends
    10:30pm: Friends

WED:
    10pm: Friends...

I think you all know how it goes.

For those thinking that Citytv will have a 11:35pm talk show, not quite. Remember, if Jay Leno takes over "The Tonight Show" again, it's CTV's show.

I think that Rogers will air CanCon in the 10pm ET/PT (8pm MT, 9pm CT) timeslot unless there is a simulcast opportunity available.

If 'A' has to fill the 11:35-12:05 slot, then they should do it will Cancon, that way the situation where they had to bump Conan to post-release because they didn't air enough Cancon between 6-12 hopefully won't happen again.

Ok if Conan stays at NBC, The Tonight show will be at 12:05 and The Jay Leno show at 11:35 so CityTV has it. If he leaves, then it's CTV as Jay would take back the Tonight Show.

As for CityTV 10pm schedule, they have a few choices, the only sure thing is Ugly Betty wed at 10pm which had moved to Omni. They may still have the rights to Dark Blue, that would be an option. That leaves 3 nights.

Trauma will probably be back and probably at 10pm on NBC and Parenthood is coming also. 2 shows that are City if I'm not mistaken. CBS has Undercover Boss that is premiering after the Superbowl, maybe they could buy for Sunday at 9pm and move Chuck to 10pm Mondays.

It could look like this

Sunday:

8pm EM:HE
    9pm Undercover Boss
    10pm Murdoch Mysteries

Monday (winter)

8:00pm The Bachelor
    10:00pm Chuck

Monday (spring)

8:00pm Chuck
    9:00pm Parenthood
    10:00pm How I Met Your Mother
    10:30pm Accidentally on Purpose

Tuesday

8:00pm The Biggest Loser
    10:00pm Dark Blue

Wednesday

8:00pm Mercy
    9:00pm Modern Family
    9:30pm Cougar Town
    10:00pm Ugly Betty

Thursday
    8:00pm Community
    8:30pm Parks & Recreation
    9:00pm 30 Rock (r)
    9:30pm 30 Rock
    10:00pm Trauma

Friday

8:00pm Supernanny
    9:00pm Manwatcher
    10:00pm other reality

Undercover Boss

Any Canadian network picking this show yet?

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Bad choice of words. How can a canadian network call itself "innovative" by airing a US show at the same time as it's originating network with simsub?
    Their statement is nothing more than Mad Libs for Corporations. Every company does it for press releases, even newspapers have a Mad Libs for obituaries.

Makes you wonder why CityTV doesn't go with Lopez Tonight from TBS since it isn't available otherwise in Canada, now that would be a bit more innovative than simply trying to find simsub opportunities from the US big 4 networks.

CTV is using Comedy Central stuff in late night so it wouldn't be a stretch for City to use a cable based late night show themselves.

Lopez Tonight actually airs on TLN here.

I agree though, it would have been nice for Citytv to air somethng new in its place, how about pick up the next season of Law and Order UK. Or did they air the 2 season at once? Either way, something new would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Lopez Tonight actually airs on TLN here.

I agree though, it would have been nice for Citytv to air somethng new in its place, how about pick up the next season of Law and Order UK. Or did they air the 2 season at once? Either way, something new would have been nice.
    Didn't know TLN was airing it .. it is not exactly a channel aimed at the English market though :)

L&O UK has aired all its episodes in Canada I think, it only has 13 episodes according to the wiki page, UK runs for series are generally a lot shorter with most being in the 6-8 episode range.

I'm wondering if Citytv even has L&O UK rights anymore, season one has been re-airing on Showcase the last couple months.