Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204

    Less Than Kind moves to HBO Canada

    So the ONE good Canadian scripted show Citytv had has moved to HBO Canada. I find it pretty funny how much bashing CTV and Global get here but Citytv goes unnoticed, not only do they spend more on American vs Canadian than any other network, but they also are the only network that has said in countless CRTC applications that they want to completely get out of non-local Canadian programming, despite the fact that they barely have any local content outside of Toronto.

    ------

    Anyways HBO Canada Press Release
    The award-winning Canadian comedy series Less than Kind returns to television on HBO Canada

    - Season 2 premieres as part of an all-new comedy line-up on Friday, February 19 at 8:30 p.m. ET / MT on HBO Canada


    TORONTO, Jan. 18 Following the darkly comedic growing pains of an overweight Winnipeg teenager and his dysfunctional family, the critically acclaimed, half-hour Canadian comedy series Less Than Kind makes its sophomore season debut on HBO Canada, a multiplex channel of Astral Media's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada), on Friday, February 19 at 8:30 p.m. ET/MT.

    Less Than Kind follows Sheldon Blecher (Jesse Camacho), a smart, overweight teenager growing up in Winnipeg's North End, and his relationship with his off-kilter family. The continuing source of Sheldon's problems is Sam (Maury Chaykin), his self-destructive driving instructor father; Anne (Wendel Meldrum), his pyromaniac mother; Josh (Benjamin Arthur), his handsome egotistical brother; and Aunt Clara (Nancy Sorel), the somewhat rational family member who tries to hold it all together. With Winnipeg winter as a backdrop, the volatile Blechers struggle to stay together and revive their failing family business, Blecher's Driving School.

    As the 13-episode second season begins, the abrasive Sam is at Death's door, but even Death doesn't answer when Sam comes knocking. As a result, Anne's anxiety reaches a breaking point as she tries to be matriarch, nurse, entrepreneur and housewife. While the turmoil at home escalates, Josh is torn between his duties to his family, himself and his girlfriend (but mostly himself). Meanwhile, Sheldon deals with some romantic developments of his own as his best friend - braceface Miriam Goldstein - is becoming more than just a friend.

    "Less Than Kind is a series like no other on Canadian television. The deftness of the comedy coupled with compelling, complex characters and storylines that are hilarious and edgy, bittersweet and sophisticated, make us confident Less Than Kind will thrive with pay TV audiences," said Diane Boehme, Director of Canadian Independent Production, The Movie Network.

    "This dysfunctional but heart-warming family offers a unique and humorous view of Western Canada, which we believe will hit home with our Movie Central viewers," said Erica Benson, Vice President Programming, Movie Central. "With a talented cast and some of the biggest names in Canadian entertainment on the creative team and in guest roles, we're excited about the direction that this show is taking in its second season."

    Season two guest stars include: Dave Foley, George Wendt, Shaun Majumder, Jennifer Irwin, Patrick McKenna, Paul Soles, Susan Coyne, and Henry Czerny. Directors for the second season include Bruce McDonald, Kelly Makin and James Dunnison.

    Less Than Kind is produced by Breakthrough Films & Television and Buffalo Gal Pictures and is helmed by executive producer, writer and showrunner Mark McKinney. The series is also written and Executive Produced by former Winnipeger Marvin Kaye and Vancouver born Chris Sheasgreen, who created the series based on Kaye's semi-autobiographical one-act play, They Have Mayonnaise in Montreal. Executive producers also include Peter Williamson and Ira Levy for Breakthrough Films & Television and Phyllis Laing for Buffalo Gal Pictures. Paula J. Smith is producer and Rob Sheridan is consulting producer. In addition to McKinney, the series is written by Garry Campbell, Marvin Kaye, Chris Sheasgreen, Jenn Engels and Jennifer Beasley.

    The entire first season of Less Than Kind will be available on The Movie Network OnDemand and Movie Central On Demand beginning Monday, January 25, and the first episode of season 2 will be available for a sneak preview on demand beginning Tuesday, February 2. All new episodes will be simulcast on HBO Canada HD, and will be available on demand and on The Movie Network OnLine following their network premieres.

    The season 2 premiere of Less Than Kind will kick off an all-new Friday night comedy line-up on HBO Canada beginning February 19. Following the series' debut at 8:30 p.m. is the premiere of The Ricky Gervais Show, a new animated series based on the comedian's wildly popular podcasts at 9 p.m. ET/MT. At 9:30 p.m. ET/MT season 2 of The Life and Times of Tim will debut, followed at 10 p.m. ET/MT by the premiere of a new season of Real Time With Bill Maher. Rounding out the Friday night schedule at midnight is the new late-night, half-hour sketch-comedy series Funny or Die Presents from comedic masterminds Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Chris Henchy.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    384
    I'm pretty sure people here feel the same way about Citytv as they do about CTV and Global. You think we don't criticize Citytv because we all work for Rogers just like you work for Canwest, not the case.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    So the ONE good Canadian scripted show Citytv had has moved to HBO Canada. I find it pretty funny how much bashing CTV and Global get here but Citytv goes unnoticed, not only do they spend more on American vs Canadian than any other network, but they also are the only network that has said in countless CRTC applications that they want to completely get out of non-local Canadian programming, despite the fact that they barely have any local content outside of Toronto.
    Don't forget HBO took Durham County from Global. If any thing the production company probably was the one that pull the show from Citytv, I would if I could get my show on HBO, have more production time instead of cutting stuff out so the station can fit more commercials.

    I don't think Citytv gets unnoticed; you certainly remind us. But all kidding aside it isn't new that stations want out of their Canadian programming, its mention now and again when station renewals come up but are usually allowed a moderate reduction only at one or two stations or it's a outright "no".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Is this not a very odd move.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Don't forget HBO took Durham County from Global. If any thing the production company probably was the one that pull the show from Citytv, I would if I could get my show on HBO, have more production time instead of cutting stuff out so the station can fit more commercials.

    I don't think Citytv gets unnoticed; you certainly remind us. But all kidding aside it isn't new that stations want out of their Canadian programming, its mention now and again when station renewals come up but are usually allowed a moderate reduction only at one or two stations or it's a outright "no".
    Citytv is the ONLY network that has asked to completely get out of non-local Canadian programming.

    And you don't know what you are talking about with Durham County. Nobody took Durham County from Global, Global purchased the conventional (and off-network) broadcast rights to the first season, ratings sucked so they didn't sign on for the second season.

    And it's very very hard for a production company to move it's show to another network without the originating networks permission. It would be an extremely rare case if that's what happened. Considering Less Than Kind's ratings and the fact that Rogers continues to say that they don't want to do any scripted Canadian series it's much more likely that Citytv let the series go and Astral stepped in.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    The ratings for Less Than Kind sucked for Citytv. It's funny how you bash them yet, forget to mention that the ratings sucked. Why is Rogers going to continue with a low rated show when it could try a shot at another show that will hopefully do better.

    And the fact that Rogers said that they want out of non-local Canadian programming is irrelevent here. They have to produce something whether they want to or not, so by them dropping this show means nothing, they'll just have to pick up something else at some point.

    Networks drop shows all the time, get over it.

    It's just another example of how you hate Rogers and will bash them if CTV or your boss Canwest did it, it's fine and dandy. Why don't you take your advice you have for other members of the forum, and stop bashing for bashing sake whenever Rogers come to mind.
    Last edited by musimax; 01-20-2010 at 02:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    The thing is they don't have a replacement for Less Than Kind.

    I'm bashing Rogers for this because THEY DESERVE IT. The fact that you can actually defend Rogers after what they just did yesterday is just incredible. I would say you work for Rogers but you clearly don't know what is really going on at that company.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    It doesn't matter if they have something lined up in it's place or not, which how do you know if they do or they don't, they could but haven't announced it yet or have submissions and pilots that they are looking at and it's all a matter of choosing one. But oh, forgive me, the all mighty TVViewer, the master of television and knows everything about it, secretly knows what's going on behind the walls of Rogers.

    And really, it doesn't matter if Citytv has something to replace it with right now or not. Citytv, like all the other general OTA networks, have a certain amount of Cancon and in particular, drama or priority programming that they must fulfill in a year and as long as they get that, that's all that matters on their part, the same goes for the rest of them. So eventually, they are going to have to get something to replace it with whether they like it or not.

    And I'm not defending Rogers, I'm pointing out your hypocritical bs that you constantly go on with here. What happened yesterday, as horrible as it is, has nothing to do with this. Rogers simply dropped a show which was doing horrible in the ratings, just like how Global dropped The Guard or The Jane Show or how CBC dropped Sophie.

    And I also find it funny how when Rogers drops a show, it's horrible, but when Global or CTV does it, totally fine. Or how when Rogers lays off people, those horrible eveil people, but if CTV and Global do it, oh it's sad, you'll express how dearly sad you are for them, but in the end, it's fine.

    You hate Rogers because they don't support fee for carriage, plain and simple. And you bash them at every single chance you get, even if it is perfectly fine and normal. Or if CTV and Global do one thing (either bad or good), it's fine for them, but if Rogers does the exact same thing, they are evil little people. And yet, when someone complains about CTV or Global, you tell them to stop it and you ramble on about this and that.

    Everyone and anyone with any sense at all can see through your bs, why even bother anymore?!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    If anyone is spewing hypocritical bs, it's you. It's no secret you hate Canwest, and you bash them all the time. You have also bashed Global for the amount of Canadian content they air in the past, yet I don't ever you remember saying a single thing about Citytv, who spends more money on American programming vs Canadian programming than any other network, the only network that has asked to not produce ANY non-local Canadian programming.

    Rogers pulling Less Than Kind is a bad thing because it was one of the only Canadian scripted programs they had.

    As for the layoffs, the difference between the layoffs at Citytv and the layoffs at every other conventional stations is that Rogers has gone on record saying that local television is not facing a crisis, they went before the CRTC and lied that local television is doing fine, then months later, they pretty much destory their news operations. Every other broadcaster is trying to save local television, Rogers is not only trying to kill it by spreading LIES to the public, but now they are destorying local stations they own themselves.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-20-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Look at the bright side TVViewer, this program will probably do better on HBO than Citytv.:D

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    If anyone is spewing hypocritical bs, it's you. It's no secret you hate Canwest, and you bash them all the time. You have also bashed Global for the amount of Canadian content they air in the past, yet I don't ever you remember saying a single thing about Citytv, who spends more money on American programming vs Canadian programming than any other network, the only network that has asked to not produce ANY non-local Canadian programming.

    Rogers pulling Less Than Kind is a bad thing because it was one of the only Canadian scripted programs they had.
    You wanna read criticisms of Citytv, read my previous posts. I certainly don't give a free pass to Citytv/Rogers. They are just as bad as the others. So good try with trying to paint me as a hypocrate like you, but it doesn't work.

    And apparently someone has forgotten about (more like intentionally didn't mention it to prove his point) Murdoch Mysteries, a Citytv program. New episodes may not be running right now, but a third season will start in the Spring.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    You wanna read criticisms of Citytv, read my previous posts. I certainly don't give a free pass to Citytv/Rogers. They are just as bad as the others. So good try with trying to paint me as a hypocrate like you, but it doesn't work.

    And apparently someone has forgotten about (more like intentionally didn't mention it to prove his point) Murdoch Mysteries, a Citytv program. New episodes may not be running right now, but a third season will start in the Spring.
    I didn't forget about Murdoch Mysteries, that's why I said "one of the only" and not "the only". Maybe you didn't read that part (since you only skim some posts)

    Give me one example where you posted something negative about Citytv, you only seem to defend them. The fact that you just said they are "just as bad as the others" proves how much a hypocrite you really are. If you didn't have a pro-Rogers bias you would know that Citytv is worse than the others, they spend more on American vs Canadian than any other network, their local stations are the only local stations that have no weekend newscasts, and they are the only broadcaster not fighting to save local television.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-20-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Look at the bright side TVViewer, this program will probably do better on HBO than Citytv.:D
    I'm actually happy that Less Than Kind is moving to HBO (since I already subscribe to it) but that doesn't mean Citytv should be off the hook.

    I know ratings were bad, but every show had bad ratings on Citytv last season, Citytv's schedule last fall was a complete joke, the show was never given a chance. It was moved around the schedule like crazy and had vh1 programs as lead-ins. Citytv has room to air this on their Thursday comedy block (BTW Global did this with Da Kink in My Hair) and they went with non-simulcast reruns instead. It was never given a chance.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-20-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I didn't forget about Murdoch Mysteries, that's why I said "one of the only" and not "the only". Maybe you didn't read that part (since you only skim some posts)

    Give me one example where you posted something negative about Citytv, you only seem to defend them. The fact that you just said they are "just as bad as the others" proves how much a hypocrite you really are. If you didn't have a pro-Rogers bias you would know that Citytv is worse than the others, they spend more on American vs Canadian than any other network, their local stations are the only local stations that have no weekend newscasts, and they are the only broadcaster not fighting to save local television.
    [COMMENT REMOVED BY ADMIN AS IT IS INSULTING TO ANOTHER MEMBER. INFRACTION GIVEN TO MUSIMAX FOR THIS COMMENT.] How many times have I said I skim through the fee for carriage posts and those only for the reasons that I mentioned in those posts? How may times have criticised Citytv and Rogers for ruining Citytv, by cancelling some of the staple Citytv shows and the ridicilous VH1 shows, and Rogers for wanting to air comedy and variety shows on OLN, and I could go on. If you want to read them, go through my posts, I'm certainly not going to go through it to prove my point, especially for the likes of you.

    And after all this, cut to a week or so from now, he'll be accusing me of skimming through another post unrelated to the fee for carriage threads and accusing me of being pro-Rogers because I haven't bashed them. This guy is the Fox News of this forum, keep saying lies over and over again, eventually someone will belive that they are true.

    You can try all you want to paint me as someone like you, a bias hypocritical *bleep* *bleep* *bleep*, but it won't work.
    Last edited by Randi; 02-08-2010 at 09:02 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    323
    Interesting... the ratings suck for this show (which is a shame because I think it's absolutely stellar in quality!), so Citytv axes it. Meanwhile 'Canadian Idol' has GREAT ratings and CTV benches it this year (at least for this year, if not next) because the show costs too much to produce. Oh, "Local TV" REALLY "Matters" in the eyes of CTVglobemedia, eh?
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebenward View Post
    Interesting... the ratings suck for this show (which is a shame because I think it's absolutely stellar in quality!), so Citytv axes it. Meanwhile 'Canadian Idol' has GREAT ratings and CTV benches it this year (at least for this year, if not next) because the show costs too much to produce. Oh, "Local TV" REALLY "Matters" in the eyes of CTVglobemedia, eh?
    And musimax calls me an idiot (which I guess is okay to do on this forum? I guess for everyone but myself)

    You can't be serious, you are actually saying CTV doesn't care about local television because they cancelled an expensive reality show? Ratings may have been high but if they don't justify the cost it doesn't matter. Ratings don't matter if the show is losing money. This is how ALL NETWORKS operate.

    Local TV does matter to CTV, that's why they are fighting to save local television. Local TV DOESN'T matter to Rogers, they are not only against saving local stations, but they have totally destroyed the local programming at their own local stations.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,857
    Wow, since TVViewer put me on ignore, I feel so free !!!
    But it looks like you are his next target, musimax. Whatever you will say in any thread, you will be told you're wrong, you lie, even for tiny tiny little details you overlook or didn't know about. BUT if you confront him about his little details he intentionally, oooouf, good luck ! Let him go, give up replying, otherwise he will reply with the same arguments over and over and the thread goes nowhere, and you're wasting your time.

    This is good news for Less Than Kind producers and also good thing for HBO Canada for offering new canadian series. This is what we should be proud of instead of expanding "CityTV's winter cleanup" thread here.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Wow, since TVViewer put me on ignore, I feel so free !!!
    But it looks like you are his next target, musimax. Whatever you will say in any thread, you will be told you're wrong, you lie, even for tiny tiny little details you overlook or didn't know about. BUT if you confront him about his little details he intentionally, oooouf, good luck ! Let him go, give up replying, otherwise he will reply with the same arguments over and over and the thread goes nowhere, and you're wasting your time.

    This is good news for Less Than Kind producers and also good thing for HBO Canada for offering new canadian series. This is what we should be proud of instead of expanding "CityTV's winter cleanup" thread here.
    Frankly, I doubt he even has you blocked. He's probably just putting on a show. Either way, don't hold back, this guy needs people to call him out on his bs.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Frankly, I doubt he even has you blocked. He's probably just putting on a show. Either way, don't hold back, this guy needs people to call him out on his bs.
    He is, and you will be joining him in a few seconds.

    This is for the best, Now that InMontreal knows I can't read the crap he posts he doesn't make as many stupid replies, this also means I can't reply to whatever stupid thing he said, this means this forum has less hostile debates.

    It's the same with you, What's the point in responding if you know I can't read it? I would love to just agree to disagree, but it doesn't look like you will be able to do that, so the best option is for me to put you on my ignore list, this way you and me wont have anymore silly debates, because it's hard to debate with me if I can't read what you said.

    It's not like either one of you post anything worth reading, so i'm not missing anything :)

    All the best.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    He is, and you will be joining him in a few seconds.

    This is for the best, Now that InMontreal knows I can't read the crap he posts he doesn't make as many stupid replies, this also means I can't reply to whatever stupid thing he said, this means this forum has less hostile debates.

    It's the same with you, What's the point in responding if you know I can't read it? I would love to just agree to disagree, but it doesn't look like you will be able to do that, so the best option is for me to put you on my ignore list, this way you and me wont have anymore silly debates, because it's hard to debate with me if I can't read what you said.

    It's not like either one of you post anything worth reading, so i'm not missing anything :)

    All the best.
    Looks like someone can't handle the heat. He can toss it out but he can't handle it! :D (that's if I and InMontreal are actually blocked or not, this guy can't be trusted at all, you don't know what's true and what's not)

    Oh, and don't worry, I will still reply whether I'm blocked by you or not. I will point out all the absolute BS that spews from your fingers on this forum. So there will be tons of posts to come, because you post tons of BS!
    Last edited by musimax; 01-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •