Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    CP24 just announced on air that tonight they will debut "CP24 Live at 5 with Ann Rohmer" and "CP24 Live at 5:30 with Melissa Grelo". Melissa had posted on Twitter last week that a big announcement for the station was to be released in the coming weeks so this could have been it. My "sources" at CP24 told me that management rushed into a meeting shortly after the Citytv announcement so maybe this had been planned for CP24 but they decided to launch it today instead of waiting until everything was just perfect. CP24 is a much more enjoyable station to watch nowadays and 100% of the credit goes to CP24.

On a side note Rubina Ahmed is no longer with CP24.
    lol I just finished starting a seperate thread for this :)

http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showthread.php?t=4686

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    Lunch Television has also been cancelled. Noon News gone in Calgary and CityNews International will no longer be produced.
    So they basically learned the tricks from CTVglobemedia is cancelling Noon News and quickly ushering fired on-air talent out the door in a blustery fashion and truckin' forward.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Horrible news. :(

The biggest joke out of all of this is how Rogers says "We believe in local television". Just a few months ago Rogers went before the CRTC and said there is no crisis in local television, well Rogers if there is no crisis why are you laying off all these amazing talented people? Why are even more newscasts getting cut? I didn't even think it was possible to make more cutbacks at the Citytv stations outside Toronto but Rogers found a way.

I thought the one good thing about Rogers owning Citytv would be that they wouldn't be able to make cutbacks like this because they are trying deceive the CRTC, but Rogers just simply waited until the hearings were over before they made their massive cut-backs.

If this doesn't prove the conventional broadcast model is broken, I don't know what does. You don't cut programming that is making money or breaking even.

Thanks for proving LocalTVMatters point Rogers, it's just sad it had to happen this way.
    Would you like me to relive the day CTVglobemedia decimated /A\ stations cancelling /A\ Morning in Barrie, London, Windsor and Victoria and though keeping Ottawa's morning show, cancelling their 6PM & 11PM newscast? Not to mention that Noon news on ANY /A\ station hasn't been around for at least 3 years w/ no end in sight?

Looks like with "VFS", if it were enforced a year ago, we'd be paying a set amount and getting less and less.

www.stopthetvtax.ca
    Last edited by lukebenward; 01-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

The major difference between the layoffs at CTV/Canwest and the layoffs at Citytv is the fact that CTV & Global are saying that the conventional broadcast model is broken, they admit that there is a crisis facing local stations. This is what Rogers said in a press release this November "Canada's conventional television sector is not in a state of crisis and its business model is not broken."

ROGERS LIED.

The other broadcasters are trying to fix the broken business model, Rogers doesn't want to do that, they clearly don't care about local television one bit.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    Who would buy it? The media landscape is in the doldrums right now, and it's not looking to get better.

Maybe Moses Znaime?

I know he push off with the station years ago over a undisclosed fight between him and CHUM. Maybe he's willing to come back if he had the chance.

An encore airing of Cityline has replaced Citytv's 5:00PM newscast, does Citytv actually plan to re-air Cityline not just once but twice every day?

Was the news @ noon still aired on Citytv Toronto today or was yesterday the last day?

Also does anyone know who's going to be doing the news on BT Calgary now that Aisling got let go today? I found it interesting that news reports are saying as of today, Citytv Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will no longer have a 6 p.m. newscast. They lost their 6 p.m. newscast about 3.5 years ago, Your City is not a newscast and after July 2006, I don't think Citytv Vancouver even had a wannabe 6 p.m. newscast on their station.

Citytv Toronto did air a noon newscast today. Dwight Drummond and Francis D'Souza anchored - no Laura

According to CityNews.ca Anne was let go Monday and the rest of the staff found out today.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...hows-at-citytv

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    An encore airing of Cityline has replaced Citytv's 5:00PM newscast, does Citytv actually plan to re-air Cityline not just once but twice every day?
    Nab, it'll be all that Bio filler stuff they run on the weekend like "The Most Amazing" and "The Role That Changed My Life"

Quote Originally Posted by ggooden1 View Post
    Was the news @ noon still aired on Citytv Toronto today or was yesterday the last day?

Also does anyone know who's going to be doing the news on BT Calgary now that Aisling got let go today? I found it interesting that news reports are saying as of today, Citytv Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will no longer have a 6 p.m. newscast. They lost their 6 p.m. newscast about 3.5 years ago, Your City is not a newscast and after July 2006, I don't think Citytv Vancouver even had a wannabe 6 p.m. newscast on their station.
    According to the BT Calgary website, the only on-air staff left are Susanne Fox, Andrew Schultz, and Jill Belland. It's likely they will just have the BT host anchor the news solo

Quote Originally Posted by SirCalgary View Post
    Nab, it'll be all that Bio filler stuff they run on the weekend like "The Most Amazing" and "The Role That Changed My Life"
    Funny because that's actually what they have replacing CityNews at Noon.

No matter what people say its just insult especially to Anne Mrocsowski but I will give kudos to Citytv for officially clearing the air. Regardless this is absolutely sick!

Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    No matter what people say its just insult especially to Anne Mrocsowski but I will give kudos to Citytv for officially clearing the air. Regardless this is absolutely sick!
    It's a pretty major story, maybe they hope if you read it on their website you wont read it on another site.

Anyways even the article posted on the Citynews website has a lie in it, they say "Citytv will continue to produce Breakfast Television and CityLine for all markets, as well as CityNews at Six and CityNews Tonight in Toronto."

That's not true, they don't produce Cityline in every market, all the Citytv stations air the Toronto produced Cityline. The only program they will continue to produce in all markets is BT (how they managed to make cut-backs to the BT's outside of Toronto is beyond me, they were already run as cheap as possible)

And I agree it's a complete insult to Anne Mrocsowski, I wonder if she will pop up on another station (CP24 or Global Toronto perhaps?)

I'm surprised why the union hasn't voice their opinion over this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'm surprised why the union hasn't voice their opinion over this yet.
    I'm sure they will, the CPE union has made CRTC interventions before against Citytv's layoffs at stations outside of Toronto.

I knew this was major news but I am absolutely amazed at how big this story truly is. Had it been a couple reporters we would have said "Crap happens" but cutting one of your 6pm weekday anchors and numerous veterans is a big deal. Not trying to make light of the situation but I bet the LCBO and Beer Store will be getting a lot of biz from those cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Maybe Moses Znaime?

I know he push off with the station years ago over a undisclosed fight between him and CHUM. Maybe he's willing to come back if he had the chance.
    Moses? Nope. He's had enough of that. He bought Vision TV last year, and is happy with that.

Anyway, he'd turn it into a station for 50 year olds. That's his new thing.

No more Weekend News on Citytv Toronto.

Are they trying to gain viewers or chase them away?

OH MY GOD.

This is 100% unacceptable, even the lowest rated small market Global stations have weekend newscasts. Rogers is officially the worst broadcaster ever.