Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Conan Goes Out in Style

Just finished watching the final Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. IMO this is one classy guy and I really enjoyed his final show. He gave us many hints that he isn't done, the "to be continued" at the end of the memory montage, Neil Young singing "Long May You Run" and of course the killer rendition of Free Bird to end the show.

My prediction, look for him on Fox. They'd be stupid to pass this opportunity up. I'd expect to see him in September starting at 11 or 11:30 on Fox O&O stations and affiliates who choose to carry him at that time, they could give the affiliates a couple options since the stickler seems to be the affiliates locked into syndicated sitcom runs that do well for them. Let them run 30 minutes news at 10, sitcoms until 11:30 and then run Conan, or give them the option of 11, 11:30 or Midnight start times for Conan for the first while until their contracts are done with the syndicated stuff. If Conan gets the earlier start he stands a good chance of beating Letterman and Leno.

Can't see him going to CBS since they're doing well with Letterman and Ferguson is building his own audience (he's the funnier of the late late shows IMO), unless he wants to wait for Letterman to retire since he is in his 60's now.

ABC has already stated they aren't interested.

Fox wants a late night show, now is their chance.

I don't care if Fox affiliates may have the option to run it at the time of their choice or even not show it at all, as long as I can see it on at least one American or Canadian station. (I wasn't able to see Late Night With David Letterman for most of its first year when the Buffalo NBC station did not carry it, until it CKVR started conveniently showing it right after my parents bought our first VCR.) But I do hope there is some kind of guarantee that it won't be cancelled after only a few weeks or months, adding it to Peter Griffin's long list of shows quickly cancelled by Fox and the almost as long list of failed talk shows. And hopefully all or most of the same writers and performers will return to Conan's new show, and Fox won't be saying "you can't do that" as it appears NBC told him after his move to one hour earlier, fearing that the Late Night comedy bits may offend some prudish grandmothers expecting a Leno level of blandness.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 01-23-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Conan's Farewell Speech

Conan and the all-star band - Free Bird

Interesting to see that while NBC didn't want him any more they were quick to force the YouTube video pulled with their typical crassness. What a PR nightmare I wonder if Comcast are reconsidering!

Great final show for Conan.

I re-watched it - I kept the first and last episodes on my DVD recorders hard drive.