Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,754

    Astral 27 films, Corus 34 films, Telefilm 27 films

    27 Films Get Support from Astral Media
    http://anhkhoi.blogspot.com/2010/01/...ral-media.html

    Corus Entertainment Finances 34 Canadian Films
    http://anhkhoi.blogspot.com/2009/12/...nances-34.html

    Telefilm Canada Finances 17 Films In English
    http://anhkhoi.blogspot.com/2009/12/...-films-in.html

    Telefilm Canada Finances 10 Films In French
    http://anhkhoi.blogspot.com/2009/12/...-films-in.html


    Interesting. Bring me to the following question:
    CanWest and CTVgm will finance how many movies and TV shows for 2010?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    871
    And, for Astral at least, that apparently doesn't include the series they mount for TMN and the new ones recently announced for HBO Canada.

    When/if a viable ala cart model comes I'll be happy to pay for a service like TMN/HBO to support their quality programming. If it doesn't come I'll just stick with the dvd releases and keep a BDU out of things totally.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21

    Shaw Acquisition of Canwest = More Canadian Productions

    One of the reasons I'm so excited about the Shaw acquisition of Canwest is that the Shaw family are the key investors in Corus Entertainment, one of the few bright spots in the Canadian broadcast/cable television landscape. :)

    The Corus mix of specialty and premium television networks are top domestic producers of original, scripted Canadian content, and they are significant exporters of many scripted series to American networks.

    I look forward to their positive impact upon Canwest, and the likely greenlighting of Canadian series once they re-align the network. Like others on this board, I'm predicting that they will shift Global and some of their specialties towards the K2-17 and W18-49 demographics because these align nicely to the Corus television holdings. Both demographics are also in-demand with advertisers.

    Post-CRTC rubberstamping, I'd watch for the new Global (ShawWest?) to greenlight some additional brand new Canadian female-targeted and kid-teen-aimed productions, while also initiating selective deals to pick up some of the more female-skewing ABC and CW series. Look for Global to wind down many of its longstanding FOX series buys, which are more male-oriented and will probably end up going to Rogers/CITY. I doubt that the new Global will be so addicted to simulcasting as it has been in the past, only because Corus has proven themselves almost Quebec-like in getting Canadians to watch Canadian tv.

    Corus have the finances, the creative people and the needed to source original productions, both series and telefilms.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MyChoiceTV View Post
    One of the reasons I'm so excited about the Shaw acquisition of Canwest is that the Shaw family are the key investors in Corus Entertainment, one of the few bright spots in the Canadian broadcast/cable television landscape. :)

    The Corus mix of specialty and premium television networks are top domestic producers of original, scripted Canadian content, and they are significant exporters of many scripted series to American networks.

    I look forward to their positive impact upon Canwest, and the likely greenlighting of Canadian series once they re-align the network. Like others on this board, I'm predicting that they will shift Global and some of their specialties towards the K2-17 and W18-49 demographics because these align nicely to the Corus television holdings. Both demographics are also in-demand with advertisers.

    Post-CRTC rubberstamping, I'd watch for the new Global (ShawWest?) to greenlight some additional brand new Canadian female-targeted and kid-teen-aimed productions, while also initiating selective deals to pick up some of the more female-skewing ABC and CW series. Look for Global to wind down many of its longstanding FOX series buys, which are more male-oriented and will probably end up going to Rogers/CITY. I doubt that the new Global will be so addicted to simulcasting as it has been in the past, only because Corus has proven themselves almost Quebec-like in getting Canadians to watch Canadian tv.

    Corus have the finances, the creative people and the needed to source original productions, both series and telefilms.
    Shaw is not merging Canwest with Corus, they plan to keep Corus separate from Canwest broadcasting.

    Canwest already has specialty channels that target the women 18-49/25-54 demographics, It doesn't make sense to shift all their channels to those demos just because that's a demo Corus stations go after.

    The same goes for Global, they already have a healthy mix of programming that targets both male and female demos. I don't see them removing hit FOX programming just because it may go after a male demographic. Global's current schedule is giving them their best ratings in years, it doesn't make any sense to rebrand Global into a womens specialty channel.

    I also don't see why Global would air less simulcast programs, Corus (which will be separate from Global & Canwest) doesn't simsub now because they don't own a conventional broadcast network.

    Canwest also currently has a good number of scripted Canadian series currently in developement, and they are by far the leader in Canadian lifestyle programming.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Canwest already has specialty channels that target the women 18-49/25-54 demographics, It doesn't make sense to shift all their channels to those demos just because that's a demo Corus stations go after.

    The same goes for Global, they already have a healthy mix of programming that targets both male and female demos. I don't see them removing hit FOX programming just because it may go after a male demographic. Global's current schedule is giving them their best ratings in years, it doesn't make any sense to rebrand Global into a womens specialty channel.
    The era of department store, something-for-everybody broadcasting is going west with the wind. In order to compete with niche-audience cable, Canadian (and American) broadcasters are themselves are going to have to go more niche in order to survive.

    Female demographics (and kids/teens too), the core of Corus, are so darned popular with advertisers because they control the pursestrings and are highly influential in buying decisions for most households, save for male bachelors. They are also loyal audiences to build schedules around, as they tend to tune-in more regularly to their favourite programs. Men can only reliably be depended upon to tune into sports.

    Some FOX programming might survive on Global. House does beautiful female demographics, as does American Idol (which CTV will win any bid-off over). And the animation domination block might stick around for the K2-11s and T12-17s. But I see Global (and their specialties except for History) going more female-targetted than they currently are, and likely doing much better in revenue-generating as a result because female-skewing programming commands premium rates. Fewer advertisers these days want to buy the little-bit-of-everything-all-over-Canada P2+ demographic hodgepodge that far too many programs deliver.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MyChoiceTV View Post
    The era of department store, something-for-everybody broadcasting is going west with the wind. In order to compete with niche-audience cable, Canadian (and American) broadcasters are themselves are going to have to go more niche in order to survive.

    Female demographics (and kids/teens too), the core of Corus, are so darned popular with advertisers because they control the pursestrings and are highly influential in buying decisions for most households, save for male bachelors. They are also loyal audiences to build schedules around, as they tend to tune-in more regularly to their favourite programs. Men can only reliably be depended upon to tune into sports.

    Some FOX programming might survive on Global. House does beautiful female demographics, as does American Idol (which CTV will win any bid-off over). And the animation domination block might stick around for the K2-11s and T12-17s. But I see Global (and their specialties except for History) going more female-targetted than they currently are, and likely doing much better in revenue-generating as a result because female-skewing programming commands premium rates. Fewer advertisers these days want to buy the little-bit-of-everything-all-over-Canada P2+ demographic hodgepodge that far too many programs deliver.
    I know few advertisers care about the 2+ demo, that's not the demo Global goes after, Global's target demo is Adults 18-49. Adults 18-49 is still the key demo advertisers care most about. Global's overall primetime average skew is actually 54% female vs 46% male, and Global garners 15% more F24-54 than the average TV viewing population. I don't see them dropping any show just because it skews a bit more male, and since they buy programming in package deals they don't really have a choice, they are not going to not pick up a FOX package full of hit shows because a few shows in it skew towards males.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    871
    I agree with Global going after women and kids more but not by substantial changes to their line up like dropping Fox programming. They've got loyal viewers (for the anime block for example) and ddumping them hoping to attract a new market seems foolish.

    Plus Global has never carried much sports to begin with so there's plenty of room to add new female/kids series.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by MyChoiceTV View Post
    The Corus mix of specialty and premium television networks are top domestic producers of original, scripted Canadian content, and they are significant exporters of many scripted series to American networks.
    Such as?
    __________________
    “God bless the lugers and the bobsledders, but at the end of the day, it’s a hockey tournament.” - Dave Bidini

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Such as?
    I agree, I can actually think of way more Canadian scripted series from Canwest then I can from Corus, and Canwest by far has more Canadian unscripted programming.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •