Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Canadian Shows that You Like

Since people always complain about there not being enough Canadian programming on TV, what Canadian shows do you like? I get the feeling that the people complaining don't like many Canadian shows and wouldn't watch new Canadian shows anyway. So with that said here are some of my favourite Canadian shows

Comedies
    Corner Gas (CTV)
    The Red Green Show (CBC)
    Rick Mercer Report (CBC)
    This Hour Has 22 Minutes (CBC)
    Royal Canadian Air Farce (CBC)
    Red Green Show (CBC/Global)

Dramas
    The Border (CBC)
    Flashpoint (CTV)

Reality
    Canadian Idol (CTV) - only liked it because there isn't much on in the summer
    Mike Bullard (CTV/Global)

Dan For Mayor
    Departures
    jPod
    Daily Planet
    Triple Sensation
    So You Think You Can Dance Canada
    Conviction Kitchen
    Flashpoint
    Being Erica
    My RONA Home
    Peak Season
    Whistler
    Mayday
    TV with TV's Jonathan Torrens
    The Guard
    Ice Pilots NWT
    Crash and Burn
    The Buried Life
    Dragons' Den
    A Park for All Seasons
    Republic of Doyle
    18 To Life
    Pure Pwnage
    The Listener

...I'm sure there are more that I watch/have watched and enjoyed, too!

I know in the last year, I've tuned in to several episodes of Flashpoint while watching regularly both The Listener and The Bridge.

I'm also interested to see Lost Girl, which will air on Showcase at some point.

Speaking of The Listener...CTV has ordered a second season, but it turns out production has not even started yet. Could it be on tap for the fall? I'm assuming the cast are committed to other projects - one of them is in the pilot for USA Network's new drama Covert Affairs (shot in Toronto).

Since you're including shows that have ended, I have to say that Intelligence is probably the best Canadian dramatic series ever.

Current shows I watch regularly include: Rick Mercer Report and The Hour. The first season of Less Than Kind was pretty good, but I haven't watched season two.

It's not a great era for scripted shows.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Since you're including shows that have ended, I have to say that Intelligence is probably the best Canadian dramatic series ever.

Current shows I watch regularly include: Rick Mercer Report and The Hour. The first season of Less Than Kind was pretty good, but I haven't watched season two.

It's not a great era for scripted shows.
    I tune in to The Hour on occasion depending on, as well as The Daily Fix on MuchMore. Both shows have interesting guests every now and then.

Yes, Intelligence was very good as well, I forgot to mention it. I also watch The Hour and The Daily Fix on occasion.

Basically, I like many Canadian shows that aren't on the broadcast networks. The crap the broadcast networks put out are just filler. Many "Canadian" shows on cable networks are inconspicuously Canadian anyway, like "Urban Legends" and "Daily Planet". If more of these nonchalant shows could show up on the broadcast networks (not THOSE shows exactly, but shows like them) then things might get better.

Deal or No Deal Canada for 5 episodes repeated ad finitum is NOT Canadian content.:(

Flashpoint definitively one of my favorites.
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by lostjon View Post
    Speaking of The Listener...CTV has ordered a second season, but it turns out production has not even started yet. Could it be on tap for the fall? I'm assuming the cast are committed to other projects - one of them is in the pilot for USA Network's new drama Covert Affairs (shot in Toronto).
    I ask around about this; CTV may cut lose The Listener before it even hits production, apparently shaftberry hasn't received funding a second season from CTV, although it doesn't mean it's officially cancelled.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Since people always complain about there not being enough Canadian programming on TV, what Canadian shows do you like? I get the feeling that the people complaining don't like many Canadian shows and wouldn't watch new Canadian shows anyway. So with that said here are some of my favourite Canadian shows

Comedies
    Corner Gas (CTV)
    The Red Green Show (CBC)
    Rick Mercer Report (CBC)
    This Hour Has 22 Minutes (CBC)
    Royal Canadian Air Farce (CBC)
    Red Green Show (CBC/Global)

Dramas
    The Border (CBC)
    Flashpoint (CTV)

Reality
    Canadian Idol (CTV) - only liked it because there isn't much on in the summer
    Mike Bullard (CTV/Global)
    I really hope this list is a joke.
    Every single one of them makes me want to puke in my mouth except Flashpoint which is ok and I have never seen Border but hear it is good. Seriously man Air Farce? 22 Minutes? Red Green? Bullard? You have a list of the WORST CANADIAN TV!

haltwan, that is a list of NB Josh's favorites, if you want to post yours then do so.
    "Frankly, you can take a good show and kill it by negligent scheduling and you can take the same show and make it a hit by brilliant scheduling. It's a real craft, and that wasn't practised much here because in private broadcasting up until now, the programmer's job was mostly to choose what to simulcast. The programming is effectively done in Los Angeles."
    - Ivan Fecan, Playback, January 3, 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by 1weasel View Post
    haltwan, that is a list of NB Josh's favorites, if you want to post yours then do so.
    I agree with 1weasel. Why don't you post your favorites (old or new)?

As for my favorites, past and present:

- The Outer Limits
    - Conviction Kitchen
    - Stargate SG-1
    - ZOS (Zone of Seperation)
    - The Hunger
    - Dragons' Den
    - Regenesis

I think The Border and Flashpoint are interesting but I haven't followed those except a few episodes. I plan on watching it someday on DVD to catch up.

for those not sure if a show is from Canada, wikipedia has a list.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

Quote Originally Posted by haltwan View Post
    I really hope this list is a joke.
    Every single one of them makes me want to puke in my mouth except Flashpoint which is ok and I have never seen Border but hear it is good. Seriously man Air Farce? 22 Minutes? Red Green? Bullard? You have a list of the WORST CANADIAN TV!
    Well all have our preferences. Air Farce and 22 Minutes got good ratings for years, sure they weren't great the at end of their run's (22 Minutes isn't great now), but in the 90s they were very good shows. Red Green must've did something right, it was on TV for 10 seasons or so and it is decently popular in the US, more popular than most Canadian shows.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Well all have our preferences. Air Farce and 22 Minutes got good ratings for years, sure they weren't great the at end of their run's (22 Minutes isn't great now), but in the 90s they were very good shows. Red Green must've did something right, it was on TV for 10 seasons or so and it is decently popular in the US, more popular than most Canadian shows.
    Shh, now TVViewer won't have any excuse to blame Canadian actors for Canadian networks buying US shows and ignoring the Canadian TV industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Simsub_hater View Post
    Shh, now TVViewer won't have any excuse to blame Canadian actors for Canadian networks buying US shows and ignoring the Canadian TV industry.
    I really don't want to debate this issue anymore, and I don't think this is even the thread to debate it, but since you mentioned me by name, I think I should make my views clear on the issue.

I don't "blame" the actors for the amount of Canadian programs purchased. I don't think Canadian TV is bad. I do however know that it is unprofitable. I know that profits from U.S. programming pays for the Canadian shows. I think it's pretty silly for ACTRA to protest the buying of U.S. shows when its the profits from U.S. shows that pay for the Canadian shows. Canadian broadcasters don't ignore the Canadian TV industry, they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Canadian programming, programming that isn't even profitable. I also think that if you are a good enough actor, you can get a job, protesting outside a network isn't the way to do it.

Anyways I really think this thread is a good idea, maybe viewers reading this thread will give some of these Canadian shows people listed as their favourites a chance, many of the shows people listed (ReGenesis, The Outer Limits, ect...) are currently airing in reruns.

For example, ReGenesis (one of Randi's favourites) airs tonight on Global, The Outer Limits (another one of Randi's) airs weekdays on Showcase (The Outer Limits also airs weekdays on TVtropolis). Other Canadian sci-fi shows airing in reruns on Showcase include Andromeda, Mutant X, and Relic Hunter. If sci-fi isn't your thing and you are looking for some Canadian crime dramas, CTV's Cold Squad and Global's Blue Murder are both good series, both are currently airing in reruns on Showcase Diva. Cold Squad also airs on Mystery TV
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-25-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.