Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CKPR-TV To Drop CBC Affiliation

Here we go again,

Dougall Media has apparently failed to come to an agreement with the CBC for programing for CKPR-TV and has applied to the CRTC to amend their license. What is going on with these guys, first they drop CTV and now CBC, things aren't looking to good for OTA viewers in Thunder Bay. I wonder where they will get programming for this station now, Citytv perhaps?!

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-128.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Here we go again,

Dougall Media has apparently failed to come to an agreement with the CBC for programing for CKPR-TV and has applied to the CRTC to amend their license. What is going on with these guys, first they drop CTV and now CBC, things aren't looking to good for OTA viewers in Thunder Bay. I wonder where they will get programming for this station now, Citytv perhaps?!

Well unlike the situation with CTV and CHFD, According to the application CBC is actually pulling it's affiliation with CKPR after August 31st 2011, so CKPR just wants to get a head start.

They also mention that they currently don't have another program supplier lined up, they say that removing the CBC affiliation now will put them in a better position to find a new program supplier.

However it looks like things were not working out as a CBC affiliate anyway, according to their application, CBC only renewed its CKPR affiliation til August 31st 2011 as long as CBC no longer had to pay CKPR for airtime, CKPR went on to say "the disaffiliation from the CBC is being sought so that CKPR-TV can move forward and be an economically viable operation. Without payment from CBC this would not be an economic possibility"

So CHFD was only viable as a CTV affiliate if they got 100% ad time during CTV primetime programming, and CKPR is only viable as a CBC affiliate if CBC pays them for airtime (Remember these stations also get paid a Small Market Programming Fee, LPIF, and programming blackouts on satellite instead of simulcasts) if this doesn't prove that the conventional broadcast model is broken and that local television is in crisis I don't know what does.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 03-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Here we go again,

They probably could with Citytv? Just do what Jim Patterson did, buy the programming from Rogers but opt-out in carrying the Citytv brand.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Hm....

The network has informed the company it will not be renewing any of its affiliation agreements beyond 2011, a move that will leave CKPR-TV without programming.
    http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=83646

I guess that means the other CBC affiliates, CJDC, CFTK, CKSA, CHEX, CHEX-2, and CKWS won't have any other sources of programming either after 2011.

I can see the Corus stations going to Global if the Canwest-Shaw deal is approved and possibly the other stations to Global or Citytv as well, especially since CTV doesn't want any affiliates and neither does CBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    Hm....

I guess that means the other CBC affiliates, CJDC, CFTK, CKSA, CHEX, CHEX-2, and CKWS won't have any other sources of programming either after 2011.
    It's probably a isolated case.

I can see the Corus stations going to Global if the Canwest-Shaw deal is approved and possibly the other stations to Global or Citytv as well, especially since CTV doesn't want any affiliates and neither does CBC.
    I bet Corus will sell most or all of those CBC affiliates off if the Canwest-Shaw deal goes through. Citytv is the only one that seems to be in the mood to have private affiliates seeing that Rogers doesn't like to run television stations themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It's probably a isolated case.
    I don't think so.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/stor....php?id=248072

I think we'll see something from Corus and the other affiliates soon.

I bet Corus will sell most or all of those CBC affiliates off if the Canwest-Shaw deal goes through. Citytv is the only one that seems to be in the mood to have private affiliates seeing that Rogers doesn't like to run television stations themselves.
    By selling them to Shaw maybe. They might be interested in running them especially since Corus claims that they're making money.

I don't think so.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/stor....php?id=248072

I think we'll see something from Corus and the other affiliates soon.

By selling them to Shaw maybe. They might be interested in running them especially since Corus claims that they're making money.
    But I bet one of the major reasons they're making money is because CBC is paying them for airtime (in addition to all the other special privileges they get)

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    But I bet one of the major reasons they're making money is because CBC is paying them for airtime (in addition to all the other special privileges they get)
    The article notes that the CBC stopped paying CKPR in 2009. If that's the case, the financial status at the Corus CBC stations might not look so good.

Meanwhile, Caron said CBC is no longer paying TBT for carrying the feed.

“That‘s another reason why we cannot continue.” He said CBC stopped payments in 2009.

“We were running it for the past year but not being paid,” he said.

The article notes that the CBC stopped paying CKPR in 2009. If that's the case, the financial status at the Corus CBC stations might not look so good.
    Yes I mentioned that in my first reply to this thread, Dougall Media is saying that CKPR is only viable as a CBC affiliate if CBC is paying them, so once CBC pulls it's affiliation (resulting in Corus stations no longer getting paid by CBC) it's pretty likely they wont be viable either.

The CRTC approved it's application today.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-244.htm

They seem more likey that CKPR will become a Citytv affiliate like the Pattison stations seeing that the sister station is a Global affiliate and CTV will now be serviced by CFTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    They seem more likey that CKPR will become a Citytv affiliate like the Pattison stations seeing that the sister station is a Global affiliate and CTV will now be serviced by CFTO.
    Well there's not a whole lot more other places to go other than Citytv. CHFD is a Global station; CTV, thus A is also out; obviously CBC; so unless CKPR becomes a true indie station which I think is unlikely, Citytv is the only option. Of course there is joining some of those smaller niche networks like Joytv, OMNI (very unlikely, won't happen) or CTS, but I doubt any of them are a real option.

Perhaps they could be an indie station that buys English non religious programming from OMNI, CTS, Joytv, and Sun TV, if a deal with Citytv can't be worked out.

Here we go again,

I can't believe how long ago this happened, I had no idea!

Yeah, it was quite a while ago. Last time I checked though, CKPR is still carrying mainly CBC programming, with just local news and a few infomercials each day comprising the non-CBC shows on its sched.

CKPR will carry the CBC schedule until August 2011. My assumption is CKPR will become a Citytv affiliate in the fall of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    CKPR will carry the CBC schedule until August 2011. My assumption is CKPR will become a Citytv affiliate in the fall of 2011.
    Any bet if they'll be a full Citytv affiliate, or just content affiliate?

Apparently they are remaining a CBC affiliate until 2011 because they can't find another programming deal. I agree that they will probably work out a deal with Citytv by then though. Citytv is pretty much their only option for network programming.

Since they divide up the local news between CKPR and CHFD, if they can't find another source of programming they could always shut down CKPR and move the local news that aired there on CHFD.

Also, CKPR does air a few Canwest/TVtropolis Canadian programs (Whatever Happened To, Ad Persuasion, That News Show, Tube Tales, ect..)

CKPR has reached a new 5 year agreement to extend their CBC affiliation.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/1364...ogramming-deal

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    CKPR has reached a new 5 year agreement to extend their CBC affiliation.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/1364...ogramming-deal
    Interesting news, I wonder if this indicates a shift at CBC to keep private affiliates?! I recall a while back it was mentioned that they planned to get rid of all affiliates once their current deal expired.

Good news for those in Thunder Bay, now if only someone would help us here in Southwestern Ontario by buying CFPL-TV and turning it into a CBC affiliate?! London, Kitchener and all points in between will lose access to CBC OTA in the fall once the switch to digital occurs thanks to the Ceeb deciding not to convert its analogue transmitter to digital. :mad:

A grassroots campaign has been started by someone in London to get them to reconsider their decision, I am not sure if it will be successful which is why I suggest the conversion of CFPL to a private CBC affiliate since I believe it's a more plausible solution. I am sure Bell would be interested in selling as they only committed to operating the A stations for 3 years and that was probably only done to get the CRTC to approve their purchase of CTVgm. The big question is who would be interested in buying the station, the only local buyer I can think of is Blackburn who were the ones that founded the station way back when- I wonder if they have any interest in getting back into television?!