Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Any ideas for new television channels?

I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on new television channels that they'd like to see be created here in Canada or have any comments on existing channels?

For me I still can't believe there hasn't been a reality TV channel launched yet! I know CanWest has a license for it but nothing has come of it yet.

And it still boggles my mind to this day that there is a television channel 100% dedicated to fishing!

Id like to see some more American/ Internation Channels come into Canada. Channels like ESPN, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney, and some other ones. We most likely wont ever get to see them here in Canada though because of CRTC issues. But, there are lots of differences between the similar canadian channels.
    Check out my Blog over at www.saran81kid91.blogspot.com

Also for the latest news about Microsoft Zune check out www.ZuneInfo.com.

I thought I'd add some more sudgestions I think would make good tv channels....
    • a tv channel dedicated to independent music and music artists
    • a channel for couples, love, etc...
    • a channel for only canadian movies
    • a channel for only canadian television series
    • a channel for city or urban living
    • a channel for amature sports
    • a channel for fitness
    any more anyone....?
    Last edited by musimax; 10-15-2006 at 10:24 PM.

How about SOAPNet Canada? I wouldn't mind Knots Landing again, and some of the classic daytime dramas might be a hoot to see!

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    For me I still can't believe there hasn't been a reality TV channel launched yet! I know CanWest has a license for it but nothing has come of it yet.
    CanWest has the license because Fox Reality is up and running stateside, CanWest often gets these placeholder licenses to block any chance of the US version being imported. There is no guarantee they will launch a domestic version for us, but you can be assured the US version isn't coming unless they drop the license.

Quote Originally Posted by TVGord View Post
    How about SOAPNet Canada? I wouldn't mind Knots Landing again, and some of the classic daytime dramas might be a hoot to see!
    SOAPNet Canada wouldn't fly, how many Canadian produced soaps do we have to fill it? None. There was the now cancelled Train48 which would technically fill the niche but not enough to prop up the Cancon quota on a full channel, we'd end up with ET Canada for filler, etc., so more stuff taken from other holdings.

SOAPNet is one US service that should be imported as is since Canadian broadcasters and producers make zero effort at creating daily domestic soap operas.

My wife has also always wanted this channel imported since pre-emptions can sometimes interupt her soaps on the regular broadcast outlets. SOAPNet plays them back at night in their entirety.

I think CanWest will probably launch a Reality TV channel, I don't know when but I think they will. They do seem to be producing a lot of reality tv shows that will be placed in as cancon filler; shows such as From the Ground Up, Office Temps, Making the Cut, Popstars, No Boundaries, Supermodels, etc... I mean it seems like a good idea to launch the channel, reality tv is very popular, it makes sense to launch it.