Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Family Matters to be release on DVD.

Family Matters"The Complete 1st Season" will be released on DVD on June 8th.
    It's about f'n time!
    http://www.amazon.ca/Family-Matters-...0208096&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by isrs4life View Post
    Family Matters"The Complete 1st Season" will be released on DVD on June 8th.
    It's about f'n time!
    http://www.amazon.ca/Family-Matters-...0208096&sr=1-2
    I Love Family Matters since it is so much fun just as Carol Burnett Show also is. It is great news that it is finally coming on DVD since have been waiting for it for really long time. I guess it is the music copyrights that has held it up so long time. I remember that with Married with Children they took out the theme song that was song by Frank Sinatra and then they replaced with some unknown music.
    Can't believe that it has taken them almost 13 years from Family Matters went off the air til it finally comes on DVD :) . I really loved Steve Urkel (which was played by Jaleel White) - he was really the best character in teh show IMO.

Just a note, Warner is horrible for cancelling series releases on DVD. If you are a fan of this show, I highly recommend that you buy the DVD. There are many warner titles that are in limbo due to poor sales; Welcome Back Kotter, Drew Carey, Step by Step among others.

Step by Step has never been released on DVD. Warner released a 1 disc best-of release several years ago but no full season releases.

You can add Night Court & Perfect Strangers to your list of stalled Warner Bros. shows. They suck big time for DVD releases and what's even more frustrating is they refuse to sub-license the rights to their shows, to other companies, so they can release them.

Shout! Factory is quickly becoming the home of classic television DVD releases, FOX, Sony, Disney & MGM have all sub-licensed shows to them to release. Shout! Factory recently got the rights to Max Headroom, which is a Warner Bros. show- hopefully this will be a turning point and they will allow Shout! Factory to acquire the rights to other series as well.

Actually WB has started to release Night Court again. They released Season 2 in 2009 and Season 3 in 2010. They are doing it pretty slowly, but I'm hopeful Season 4 will come along with the rest of them.

From what I've read Perfect Strangers is indeed cancelled. Apparently Warner is going to release Season 2 of Growing Pains later this year...Time will tell.

Shout Factory is an excellent studio. They have brought many of my favourites back to life; GI Joe, Transformers, Mr. Belvedere, All in the Family, Parker Lewis among others.

Lionsgate is another studio to keep an eye on too. They have aquired the rights to many series such as Boy Meets World, According to Jim, Hope & Faith, My Wife and Kids, George Lopez and many others.

From what I've read Perfect Strangers is indeed cancelled. Apparently Warner is going to release Season 2 of Growing Pains later this year...Time will tell.
    Actually, Perfect Strangers S1&2 release did well but the reason they have not released any further seasons is due to 'higher music costs' (according to Warner Bros. rep).

As for Growing Pains, Warner is looking to release S2 in 2011, unless their plans have changed?!

Night Court got a release earlier this year but there has been nothing since so I am moving it towards the 'stalled' column again. :( Season 3 is where Markie Post joins the cast and where things pick up so I would like to think that sales were good. If its not stalled then that means stupid Warner Bros. is probably going with a 1 release a year format, which sucks!

See here for info on Pefect Strangers as well as other stalled series: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/holdup.cfm

If it's anything like Fresh Pricne, we might be waiting awhile for subsequent releases. Music costs was the hold up for the Season 5 release and I believe there was a 3-4 year pause between Season 4 and 5.

It's really a vicious cycle since I've stopped buying any TV on DVD for catalog titles until they release the entire series set as waiting and hoping for new seasons to come out year after year wasn't worth it anymore.

Shout Factory I like but their releases tend to be very over priced which I'm sure deters sales. I wonder if they'd adopt more of a discount bin approach like the old Goodtimes Home Video if they'd have higher progits overall to get the sets moving off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    It's really a vicious cycle since I've stopped buying any TV on DVD for catalog titles until they release the entire series set as waiting and hoping for new seasons to come out year after year wasn't worth it anymore.

Shout Factory I like but their releases tend to be very over priced which I'm sure deters sales. I wonder if they'd adopt more of a discount bin approach like the old Goodtimes Home Video if they'd have higher progits overall to get the sets moving off the shelf.
    Yeah, I've been getting all the married with children seasons around 17 bucks
    all together, at Wal-Mart. I still got Seasons 8,9,10&11 to purchase but I'm
    surprised Season 10 is on Sale for the price I said but Season 11 isn't because
    it's still newer.

Shout Factory I like but their releases tend to be very over priced which I'm sure deters sales.
    Yes I have noticed that and I have to question the reason for the high price tag- is it greed or does it have to do with the contract they have with the studio whose show they are releasing?! Many of the shows they are releasing are series that were stalled and in some cases had not seen a DVD release in years so when they would you charge so much and who in their right mind would pay $40 or more for one seasons' worth of episodes in this economy?! To be fair though, I have noticed that some of their releases were priced around 20 bucks so it seems not all of them are overpriced.

As isrs4life pointed out, it appears as though Wal-Mart (even though I don't particularly like them) is a good place to buy TV on DVD. They have various sales throughout the year and I have seen a lot of box sets for various shows that are priced at $20 or lower. The best part is that they appear to have shows from pretty much all the major studios and not just one or two which makes for a good selection.

Getting back on topic :), I wonder how Family Matters is doing sales wise?! I know it hasn't been out long but on tvshowsondvd.com it was one of the most requested un-released shows. I did not realize that this show actually lasted 9 seasons, I didn't watch the later seasons as much. According to info on Wikiepdia, its the second longest series (with an all African-American cast) in American television history, right behind The Jeffersons- WOW!

Fans of Warner Bros. shows have it tough because these guys want to see high sales and if they don't meet there target (which I think may be set too high considering these are older series) then they just stop and don't release anymore. I think they need to re-evaluate their sales targets, older shows generally do not sell as well as newer ones so they should have more realistic expectations.

They should just skip individual season sets and just release the series. The average price for complete series is between $100-$140 when they are on sale (and sometimes even less in the US). I'd pay that much for the entire series of Family Matters. Likewise for Step by Step, Perfect Strangers and Growing Pains.