Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    Okay, here is my take on the names mentioned

Lisa LaFlamme - Probably not considering she will probably be part of CTV's 2012 Olympic coverage, and maybe Lloyd Robertson's successor.
    Beverly Thomson - I think she fits better on Canada AM than on news, so no.
    Leslie Roberts - I doubt it, would be a good choice though.
    Carole MacNeil
    Wendy Mesley
    Heather Hiscox

I could see any of the CBC personalities mentioned, except for Mesley, she also isn't a great anchor IMO. Someone like Tom Clark or Dan Matheson could be a candidate as well.
    Lisa - Not so sure she is going to be Lloyd's successor ... If I were her, I wouldn't pass the Global National opportunity up should it present itself.
    Beverly - She was a great anchor for Global Ontario - that broadcast has not been the same since she left in 2003.
    Leslie - For as much as I am not a fan of his, I do think he would do well on Global National.

As for Dan - too 'stuffy' ...
    Tom - possibly ... but not sure Global is the right station for him.

I have never watched a Beverly Thomson era Global Ontario newscast (in fact I've never watched any Global Ontario newscast), so maybe she was good. I think that she fits well on Canada AM, although I miss the days of Rod Black and Lisa Laflamme.

I agree on Matheson, I really don't like him. If Tom Clark came to Global, I would probably start watching their newscasts, I really like him on CTV News Channel.

I'm hoping for Avi Lewis but I'll concede I doubt it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    I have never watched a Beverly Thomson era Global Ontario newscast (in fact I've never watched any Global Ontario newscast), so maybe she was good. I think that she fits well on Canada AM, although I miss the days of Rod Black and Lisa Laflamme.

I agree on Matheson, I really don't like him. If Tom Clark came to Global, I would probably start watching their newscasts, I really like him on CTV News Channel.
    Global Ontario was at its best when Beverly Thomson was the Chief Anchor (1997 - 2003). It really has not been the same since she left ... why do you think Global put up such a stink when she went to CTV? Take a read ...

http://www.friends.ca/news-item/4792

As for the 'Rod Black/Lisa LaFlamme' pairing - that was a train wreck ... they were together for one season and it was painful ... first Rod left, then Lisa the following year ... Bev was brought in to repair the mess.

Back to my original point, other than Leslie, there is no 'male' anchor that could replace Kevin. Hence why it may be a female - and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I thought no one liked Leslie, why do you want him on The National News? He may end up there some time next year after Anne is settled at Global.
    Robin will probably be a temp until a replacement (Leslie or someone else) can be found. If she does well, maybe they will stick with her.
    Last edited by jwall5; 05-03-2010 at 05:21 PM.

I like Robin Gill ... I remember when she started at Global Ontario - she was a weather anchor! She has grown a lot over the last 10 years. Robin does very well as the Weekend Anchor for Global National (she is much better than Tara Nelson). As the Lead Anchor of GN; that would be a stretch for her. You could easily see her anchoring a 6 pm local news cast (i.e.: Global Toronto if Anne M did not take the job), but replacing Kevin would be too much of a jump ... I suppose on an interim basis that would be fine.

Back to my earlier point, there are not any strong male news anchors in Canada (at a local level). Chris Gailus and Leslie are probably 2 of the best right now. Leslie has outgrown Global Toronto ... Global National would be a good home for him. Maybe Global should locate Ben Chin to replace Kevin? They did hire him after Toronto 1 went the way of the Dinosaur.

When I started watching Global, Leslie and Robin were already there, I didn't get a chance to see Robin grow like the rest of you. I also missed the Bev Thompson era

I was in Vancouver earlier this year and had a chance to Chris and the Vancouver Global team in action. They did very well with their olympic coverage, which explains why they are #1 in their market. Chris is still new to Global, even though he is better than Leslie I'm not sure its time for him to go national yet.

Leslie has been here a lot longer, and could use a change.

Listen Up Shaw!

CTV won't let Canada's Media Sweetheart: Beverly Thomson go - no way. CTV is too smart for that. In fact she should be anchoring the 6pm Toronto newson CTV ...and get rid of that grump Christine Bently.

As for Newman's replacement, the others suggestions made above are possible because the current Global programmers and marketers are honestly just that stupid! (SHAW listen up! Save Global while you can and CLEAN HOUSE!)

Global's best bet to replace Newman is Leslie Roberts - hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by JunketJane View Post
    CTV won't let Canada's Media Sweetheart: Beverly Thomson go - no way. CTV is too smart for that. In fact she should be anchoring the 6pm Toronto newson CTV ...and get rid of that grump Christine Bently.

As for Newman's replacement, the others suggestions made above are possible because the current Global programmers and marketers are honestly just that stupid! (SHAW listen up! Save Global while you can and CLEAN HOUSE!)

Global's best bet to replace Newman is Leslie Roberts - hands down!
    Why in the world would CTV re-assign Bev to the local Toronto 6pm Newscast? Canada AM is National, CTV Toronto is 'local'. Not to mention, Bev has 'been there and done that' already ... she anchored a 'local' newscast for many years (i.e.: Global Toronto). Global National is 'national' ... hence why it would be a logical step in her career.

In any event ... your comment re: Leslie; I agree with that.

I realize Global will be doing a lot of PR over the next little while about Ann & Leslie being co-anchors but I personally believe they fill Kevin's spot for 6 weeks with a few different people and then in October promote Leslie. He has a lot of senority at Global and I highly respect him but I think he seems a little too comfortable and in a sense bored anchoring Global Toronto. And as any broadcaster will admit once you're no longer challenged its time to move on.

BTW sorry to go off topic but this must be the year of the broadcaster. One notable news anchor was fired and two have quit. I don't remember this many anchors making the news at the same time!

I agree ...

Leslie has outgrown Global Toronto ...

Between Robin Gill, Carolyn Jarvis & others, Global could temporarily fill the vacancy then do a big splash in the fall. Mind you, if Leslie were to go now to Global National, Anne would be totally fine on her own ... I think doing a big Anne/Leslie launch now and then having Leslie bow out in the fall may do more harm than good.

Anyone one else think that Ann Rohmer could be a candidate for Global National? She is leaving CP24 in mid-June and Kevin Newman contract expires on August 20th, that gives her enough time to find a new place out in B.C. and move before Kevin leaves. It sounds far fetched, but its not out of the realm of possibility.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Anyone one else think that Ann Rohmer could be a candidate for Global National? She is leaving CP24 in mid-June and Kevin Newman contract expires on August 20th, that gives her enough time to find a new place out in B.C. and move before Kevin leaves. It sounds far fetched, but its not out of the realm of possibility.
    It was mentioned in the press release and on-air that Ann was leaving the industry. She also mentioned on-air that she would be involved in/with the aviation industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    It was mentioned in the press release and on-air that Ann was leaving the industry. She also mentioned on-air that she would be involved in/with the aviation industry.
    Your probley right, but people do change their minds, Anne Mroczkowski stated in a interview on CBC Radio awhile back she wasn't planing to go back into TV News, at this point anything is possible. But aviation industry is bold new career path, I wish her the best in that.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Even though Ann will be working in the aviation industry she will also be hosting Animal Housecalls on CP24 so she still seems committed to CTVgm while also staying put in Toronto. It will be industry to know what exactly Ann will be doing in aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    No - Ann Rohmer is not moving to Global to take over Global National. Secondly, Global National is not recorded in BC during weekdays - it is based/recorded in Ottawa. The weekend edition anchored by Robin Gill is BC based.

Kevin i gonna miss you

who ever take your place all the best i hope robin gil takes over;)

Any updates as to what is going on with a replacement for Kevin?

I've heard Global has received several 'applicants' ... and apparently Troy Reeb is being considered? My own 2 cents ... I don't think Troy would be an appropriate replacement. Any traction that has been made over the years at Global National will slip away with him at the desk.

Internally (at Global), the only person I feel will be able to maintain & grow the newscast will be Leslie Roberts. Other than Leslie ... Beverly Thomson, Lisa LaFlamme, Wendy Mesley or Heather Hiscox.

Just putting this out there, Kevin's replacement doesn't have to currently be working in Canada, it could be a Canadian journalist working in the U.S., that's how Global found Kevin Newman, and how Global BC found their current 6:00PM anchor.

I'm sure there is more than a few Canadian journalists in the U.S. right now who wouldn't mind moving back if it meant becoming the face of a national network's news operations.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Just putting this out there, Kevin's replacement doesn't have to currently be working in Canada, it could be a Canadian journalist working in the U.S., that's how Global found Kevin Newman, and how Global BC found their current 6:00PM anchor.

I'm sure there is more than a few Canadian journalists in the U.S. right now who wouldn't mind moving back if it meant becoming the face of a national network's news operations.
    I'm well aware that bringing someone from the US is a possibility - does anyone stand out to you? No one impressive stands out to me ...