Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The media can be confusing but lets say it was Leslie who got the Global National gig: Why the heck would they spend all the money they just did on advertising the Global Toronto News Hour. There's billboards on the sides of buses, along the Gardiner, along the 401, bus shelters, full page ads in the Toronto Star. Surely it must have been known for quite a while that Kevin was leaving. So why slap Leslie's face all over Toronto just to take it down and have to advertise for a new Global Toronto news anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by artudo123 View Post
    The media can be confusing but lets say it was Leslie who got the Global National gig: Why the heck would they spend all the money they just did on advertising the Global Toronto News Hour. There's billboards on the sides of buses, along the Gardiner, along the 401, bus shelters, full page ads in the Toronto Star. Surely it must have been known for quite a while that Kevin was leaving. So why slap Leslie's face all over Toronto just to take it down and have to advertise for a new Global Toronto news anchor?
    If Leslie does move over to Global National, it likely will not be immediately (one of the reasons as you stated above). A series of interim/rotational anchors will be used - i.e.: Robin Gill, Carolyn Jarvis, Sophie Lui etc. A similar situation took place in 2008 when Tara Nelson vacated the weekend anchor chair for Europe - Robin Stickley (and a few others) was used on a rotational basis until they firmed up the permanent weekend anchor ...

I have watched the 'new' 6pm newscast on a couple of occasions and it looks like a clash of egos in my mind. There does not seem to be a lot of chemistry between the two, just a sort of awkwardness?!

I think Leslie should move to Global National because Anne is more than capable of anchoring a newscast on her own and doesn't need a sidekick- which is what Leslie looks like next to her. ;)

Personally I don't understand the need for having 2 anchors for a newscast?! All they do is read stuff of a tele-prompter so its not a difficult job and IMO one person can do it just fine. Gord Martineau does well solo on Citytv and I think Anne would do well solo on Global. If that happened, I wonder who would come out ahead in the ratings- 2 former co-anchors, now going head to head on different channels- interesting!
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 07-08-2010 at 11:43 AM.

I agree, I really don't count on Leslie Roberts leaving Global Toronto anytime soon. The only way I could see him anchor Global National is if production is moved to Toronto and he continues to anchor the News Hour (which although is unlikely, isn't impossible)
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

It would save Global a lot of money if Leslie did anchor both newscasts. And I agree it would be a real test to see two former co-anchors go head to head doing solo anchoring. And I saw Anne anchor alone next week and if anything Leslie gets in her way. I believe it does take skill and talent to read the news even if its off a teleprompter yet to Anne its second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I have watched the 'new' 6pm newscast on a couple of occasions and it looks like a clash of egos in my mind. There does not seem to be a lot of chemistry between the two, just a sort of awkwardness?!

I think Leslie should move to Global National because Anne is more than capable of anchoring a newscast on her own and doesn't need a sidekick- which is what Leslie looks like next to her. ;)

Personally I don't understand the need for having 2 anchors for a newscast?! All they do is read stuff of a tele-prompter so its not a difficult job and IMO one person can do it just fine. Gord Martineau does well solo on Citytv and I think Anne would do well solo on Global. If that happened, I wonder who would come out ahead in the ratings- 2 former co-anchors, now going head to head on different channels- interesting!
    A few things ...
    Leslie/Anne do need to work through a few growing pains. Part of the issue was, the News Anchor was a 'solo' show since September 2009. I don't agree about the lack of chemistry, but I agree - there is (was) a titch of awkwardness. I do think though it is something the two of them will overcome ... remember, this pairing is a big change for both Leslie and Anne.

Leslie has been away for the last couple of weeks & Anne has grown/settled in VERY nicely.

In my own opinion, I think Leslie is a perfect fit for Global National.

As for Anne vs Gord ... she'll knock him into darkness - easily.

Quote Originally Posted by vanessab View Post
    A few things ...
    Leslie/Anne do need to work through a few growing pains. Part of the issue was, the News Anchor was a 'solo' show since September 2009. I don't agree about the lack of chemistry, but I agree - there is (was) a titch of awkwardness. I do think though it is something the two of them will overcome ... remember, this pairing is a big change for both Leslie and Anne.

Leslie has been away for the last couple of weeks & Anne has grown/settled in VERY nicely.

In my own opinion, I think Leslie is a perfect fit for Global National.

As for Anne vs Gord ... she'll knock him into darkness - easily.

Are you suggesting that if Leslie leaves Global Toronto and Anne goes solo that the Global Toronto ratings will go up?

Are you suggesting that if Leslie leaves Global Toronto and Anne goes solo that the Global Toronto ratings will go up?
    No, that is not the point at all.

Kevin Newman's replacement will be announced this Tuesday.

The new anchor will begin anchoring Global National September 20th. Here is the media advisory Global released today:

Global PR:
    PRESS CONFERENCE - Global Television Introduces New Global National Anchor to Media & Industry

WHEN: Tuesday, July 13th, 2010
    ARRIVALS: 11:00am Check In/Setup
    START: 12:00 Noon Sharp
    WHERE:
    Four Seasons Toronto
    Mezzanine Level, Regency Room
    21 Avenue Rd. Toronto ON (416.964.0411)

AGENDA/NOTES:
    The new anchor, who will join Global National effective September 2010, will meet the press at a briefing hosted by:
    Canwest Broadcasting President, Peter Viner
    Canwest Broadcasting EVP Content, Barbara Williams
    Canwest Broadcasting SVP News & Current Affairs, Troy Reeb
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

i hope it's not robin gill.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBCTV View Post
    i hope it's not robin gill.
    No, it will not be Robin Gill. I gather you are not a fan of Robin? Personally, I enjoy her - but she is not ready for the 'main' weekday anchor role.

my thoughts exactly. :)

I don't know if its the chemistry or something else, but neither one of them can read the prompter. They are always stumbling over their words. With the amount of experience they have I expect them to a better job, its not that hard after all

Quote Originally Posted by jwall5 View Post
    I don't know if its the chemistry or something else, but neither one of them can read the prompter. They are always stumbling over their words. With the amount of experience they have I expect them to a better job, its not that hard after all
    You're referring to Anne/Leslie - not the subject line of the posting ...

A few things to keep in mind, Anne and Gord Martineau were known as Canada's longest serving Anchor 'pair' while they were together at City TV. Really, all Anne knows (from a co-anchor perspective) is Gord. Global Toronto is a big change for her in many ways, not only having a new co-anchor. At City TV when Anne was not co- anchoring with Gord, she was anchoring solo. Leslie on the other hand has had many co-anchors over the years ; at Global Montreal he co-anchored with Jamie Orchard and Heather Hiscox. While in Toronto, he has co-anchored with Beverly Thomson, Jacqueline Milczarek, Anne Marie Mediwake, Carolyn Mackenize and even Robin Gill on occasion (point being - he is more adept to having a new 'partner'). Give Anne & Leslie a chance - they are a great pairing and will grow together ... they are 100 times better than Christine/Ken. Remember, Anne has only been on the News Hour for about 6 weeks now - she had a fantastic last couple of weeks. Things will get smoother ...
    Last edited by vanessab; 07-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.

I agree with you vanessab, it's a slight alteration in Anne's career and we should all cut her some slack. Her first few weeks have been not bad, at first when I thought of Anne and Leslie together, I thought of two co-anchors that were very awkward and had terrible chemistry, but it's been much better than anticipated albeit the slight awkward moment here and there. They're working on it so we can only hope things get better! However, I do think Anne-Marie and Leslie were the best duo. Best of wishes to Anne!

I wonder if Kevin Newman is going over
    to the soon-to-be all news channel
    that's under the ownership of Peladeau.
    It's already attracted Kory Teneycke
    and a few others.

Newman would be a proper fit given his
    past career choices.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto View Post
    I wonder if Kevin Newman is going over
    to the soon-to-be all news channel
    that's under the ownership of Peladeau.
    It's already attracted Kory Teneycke
    and a few others.

Newman would be a proper fit given his
    past career choices.
    Perhaps you know more about his "past career choices" than I do but I would think that going to this new "Fox News North" would be career suicide for someone like Kevin Newman (who is/wants to be a respected journalist). The "rumblings" about this network is that it's going to be a rather lowbrow outfit catering to rural conservatives and hard-right social conservatives. Is that Kevin Newman? I don't know.