Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Thread: Simsub question

Simsub question

Since it's inception in 1972, will this practice mandated by the CRTC ever expire?

This has to be the stupidest thread ever.

To answer your question, only when US networks are either a) blacked out for any shows that air on Canadian networks, which could include speciality channels or b) completely removed from Canadian cable and satellite systems and only available OTA in border cities.

What? "Expire"?

No, it won't expire, it's not milk. It may be discontinued, for one reason or another, but it seems unlikely in the near future. Consumers will make too much of a fuss if the U.S. stations are removed from the dial now, so it's not likely they ever will be (which would probably be the only way simsub could be discontinued).

My suggestion: Go Shaw Direct, which is simsub-free for all HD feeds anywhere outside of Toronto (although with their purchase of Global TV I don't know how long the free ride will last). Or, go gray satellite/Internet.

I think there certainly are legitimate questions regarding what will happen after the new regulations start in September 2011, if the Cdn networks can get blackouts instead of just simsubs. (That's for the ones choosing to receive fees. Presumably simsubs would remain for the Cdn channels choosing to stick with free BDU carriage.)

Will we still have the U.S. networks on basic cable and satellite, but a large percentage of the time they will just be a slide saying something like "Sorry, this show is blacked out on this channel at the request of CTV or Global"?

What if CTV or Global have the rights to an American network show, but don't air it because they're airing another American show? For example, on a Sunday night would Global have Fox blacked out by Cdn BDUs during 'American Dad!', even if Global has no immediate plans to air it themselves?

What about Sunday afternoon NFL games? Will CTV make sure their local affiliate's 1PM ET game is the only one we're allowed to see on cable? Will one or both of the U.S. networks with NFL games be blacked out even when they're airing a different game from the local CTV affiliate?

And are the BDUs going to screw up this even more than they do now by leaving the U.S. channels blacked out longer than they should, chopping off the beginnings and endings of shows that aren't blacked out, or mistakenly blacking out shows that they aren't supposed to?

I suppose one possible positive result of blackouts (instead of simsubs) could be that the Cdn networks would be more free to arrange their own schedules without slavishly following the U.S. networks. Presumably they could choose to air the recorded U.S. shows at any time they want. For example, in the situation I mentioned above with 'American Dad!', hopefully Global would air new episodes at some other time within a few days (before or after) of Fox. But given their present addiction to following the American networks, I wouldn't count on it.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 05-22-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Was there an instance where a specialty channel was blacked out?

I can only remember when TSN and the then TNN had Monday Raw Wrestling.

The TNN channel would just air a previously recorded 2 hour block

of programming.

Speed was regularly blacked out during F1 races since TSN had the rights.

Oh right. "Sports" is a tricky situation. I just remembered.....

MLB Playoffs on FOX / Sportsnet (no simsub or blackout)

Nascar on FOX / TSN (no simsub or blackout)

Kentucky Derby on NBC (TSN no simsub or blackout)

I'm sure there are other ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBCTV View Post

Kentucky Derby on NBC (TSN no simsub or blackout)

I'm sure there are other ones as well.
    BET's Canadian feed is routinely replaced with music videos when programs and movies with rights belonging to other services in Canada are scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBCTV View Post

Kentucky Derby on NBC (TSN no simsub or blackout)...
    Bell TV already routinely subs TSN or TSN2 over the American OTA networks, and as Tripster said, blacks out Speed channel for F1 races and qualifying.

I assume the amount of black outs and/or substitutions will only increase after Sept. 2011, since Cdn networks could then get them with non-simultaneous airings on the U.S. stations. If the Canadian networks get everything the way they want it -- fees with mandatory BDU carriage in basic packages where viewers have no choice to decline paying to receive them -- then I'm guessing they would continue as they do now with as many substitutions as they can get. But if viewers are able to decline paying for the fee-receiving Cdn OTA stations, you'd think it would be nearly wall-to-wall black outs, attempting to force as many people as possible to pay them. Has anyone done a calculation for what percentage of prime time programming (8-11PM on CBS, ABC, and NBC, 8-10 on Fox) on the U.S. networks could be blacked out on Canadian BDUs starting in September 2011?

I wonder if the BDUs are going to try to get away with just their usual minimal notification of a rate increase to start at that time, without having any campaign to inform the public of the black outs and other possible changes that will occur in September 2011? You'd think there are going to be a whole lot of p.o.'d customers complaining if they just spring this on everyone without warning. But given their past behaviour and the complete lack of any U.S.-style information campaign from the Canadian TV business and their buddies at the CRTC to educate Canadians about digital over-the-air signals, I'd guess that is the most likely way it will happen.

Are U.S. stations allowed to advertise in Canadian newspapers? If they know they're going to be blacked out most of the time by Cdn BDUs, U.S. stations in Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, etc., may want to run print and radio ads in border areas telling Canadians that their digital HD OTA signals may be received with an antenna.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 05-31-2010 at 10:55 AM.