Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    So, other than saying they want to start a 'Sun TV News' cable channel in 2011, has there been any news yet about what Quebecor intends to do with CKXT-TV, long term or short term for the next few months?
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    ...August 31st 2010 (end of their licence: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-490.htm )...
    Does their licence really expire in 12 days?
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 08-19-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Well considering they've got Harper to oust the CRTC head I'd say they're progressing nicely.

A closet left wing seperarist working with a right wing PM who has historically shown distain for Quebec to start a right wing news network that'll turn Canada further away from a progressive Quebec.

They've designed a perfect recipie to destory this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    Got renewed until March 31, 2011: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-562.htm
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Sun News

Why doesn't Quebecor simply amend the licence for The Cave (Men TV) - and use this Cat 1 licence for Sun News? The Cave's schedule isn't exactly inspiring, maybe it could transfer the better shows to Sun TV?

I doubt it would have been any more likely to be approved. The “must carry”/“category 1” status disappears for news and sports specialty channels after Aug. 2011. According to a SunTV employee in another thread, Quebecor only wanted that temporary "must carry" status for a few months to get their foot in the door and supposedly put them on an equal level with CBC News World and CTV News Channel before the new competitive regulatory framework begins. I suppose their competition could be seen as having an unfair head start. But if that argument worked, then everyone else could also say that they too should be granted a new category 1 licence for any news channel or sports channel they wanted to compete with TSN and Rogers Sportsnet.

With the BDUs fees likely on the way (shouldn't there be a court decision soon to confirm this?), I still don't understand why Quebecor or anyone else would simply give up a Toronto OTA station licence. It could guarantee big $$$ rolling in to them every month, certainly if the CRTC decides to retain mandatory carriage with arbitrated fees. Looking at my post earlier in this thread -- if MLSE took over CKXT-TV to make it a mostly sports station, or if Channel Zero or Bluepoint made it a mostly news station, they could have an immediate advantage in southern Ontario over their cable-only competition that would be simultaneously losing their "must-carry" status.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 08-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.

So, other than saying they want to start a 'Sun TV News' cable channel in 2011, has there been any news yet about what Quebecor intends to do with CKXT-TV, long term or short term for the next few months?
    From the mouth of Pierre Peladeau to us at a staff meeting the day of Sun News' announcement, SunTV (CKXT-TV) will remain on the air until the day SUN News is launched. The goal was January 1, 2011, but with the CRTC taking it's time with the license, they said most likely the first quarter of 2011. (Hence the license extension until March 31, 2011)

With the BDUs fees likely on the way (shouldn't there be a court decision soon to confirm this?), I still don't understand why Quebecor or anyone else would simply give up a Toronto OTA station licence. It could guarantee big $$$ rolling in to them every month.
    Courts take forever, and it's not guaranteed that the outcome would benefit them. Plus, this new channel has been in the works for a while. Ever since Groupe TVA bought 100% of SunTV. So if they kept CKXT-TV, there'd be no facilities left to operate the station because it'll all be used for Sun News. It would be too much of a risk to create a whole new station when BDU fees aren't even approved yet.
    Last edited by SUN_Guy; 08-29-2010 at 06:19 AM.

With the BDUs fees likely on the way (shouldn't there be a court decision soon to confirm this?), I still don't understand why Quebecor or anyone else would simply give up a Toronto OTA station licence. It could guarantee big $$$ rolling in to them every month, certainly if the CRTC decides to retain mandatory carriage with arbitrated fees. Looking at my post earlier in this thread -- if MLSE took over CKXT-TV to make it a mostly sports station, or if Channel Zero or Bluepoint made it a mostly news station, they could have an immediate advantage in southern Ontario over their cable-only competition that would be simultaneously losing their "must-carry" status.
    Just because Toronto is a huge market doesn't mean it can support an unlimited number of stations, that being said it's kinda pointless to debate the sale of CKXT-TV since it's not happening, Quebecor isn't selling the CKXT licence, they are replacing CKXT-TV with the all news specialty channel.

I don't see why you are still speculating what decision the CRTC will make when they already announced their NVFS proposal.

Local stations WILL NOT get mandatory carriage and VFS, if they choose to negotiate a value for their signal, they lose their must carry status, so an OTA station wont have any advantage over CP24, ect..

Here is the official CRTC decision on VFS:

Licensees of private local television stations would choose whether i) they will negotiate with BDUs for the value of the distribution of their programming services, failing which they will be able to require deletion of the programming they own, or for which they have the exhibition rights, from all signals distributed in their market, or ii) they will continue to benefit from existing regulatory protections.

2. Licensees of private local television stations would make their choice by a date set by the Commission, and this choice would be valid for a fixed term of three years.

3. If a licensee of a private local television station chose option i):

a) It would forego all existing regulatory protections related to the distribution of local television signals by BDUs, whether imposed by regulation or by condition of licence, including mandatory distribution and priority channel placement on analog basic, and simultaneous substitution.

b) BDUs would be required, at the request of private local television stations, to delete any program owned by the licensee of that local television station or for which it has acquired exclusive contractual exhibition rights.

c) Deletions would be exercised against the signal of any programming undertaking distributed by the BDU, whether foreign or domestic, affiliated or not, including that of the private local television station making the request.

d) It could negotiate with a BDU for a fair value in exchange for the distribution of its programming service in lieu of the deletion rights set out in b) and c). This compensation could be monetary, non-monetary (e.g., simultaneous or non-simultaneous substitution, carriage arrangements, marketing and promotion), or both, and could be negotiated on an individual station basis or as part of a broader negotiation with entire ownership groups.

e) Parties to the negotiation would be given a fixed period after the date on which the licensee of a private local television station chose option i) to conclude negotiations, during which the existing regulatory protections would continue to apply. This period could be shortened or extended by agreement between the parties.
    f) The Commission would minimize its involvement in the terms and conditions of the resulting agreements, intervening only in cases where there is evidence parties are not negotiating in good faith, and would consider acting as arbitrator only where both parties make a request.

4. If the licensee of a private local television station chose option ii), all regulatory protections for private local television stations in force at the time the choice is made, and as amended during the term in which that choice is valid, would remain in force. These would include, where provided by regulation or by condition of licence: mandatory carriage, priority channel placement on analog basic, program deletion, simultaneous or non-simultaneous substitution, and any payments to individual stations or funds approved by the Commission in lieu of these obligations, including payments for carriage of distant signals as provided for in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 08-29-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Local stations WILL NOT get mandatory carriage and VFS, if they choose to negotiate a value for their signal, they lose their must carry status, so an OTA station wont have any advantage over CP24, ect..
    But an OTA station can get analog cable carriage anywhere in the country, whereas new licenses for cable channels are digital only.

Unless I missed something, I don't think there has been a court decision yet to approve FFC/VFS for the OTA stations, and even once (or if) it is, I believe the federal government can still have its say in if or how it will be implemented. Unlike the CRTC, the government has to listen to the public and worry about being re-elected.

And as described, there are potential flaws in the system. For one thing, it encourages the broadcasters (who want fees, like Sun TV) to get out of the OTA business. If you want customers to pay for something, why would you continue to give it away for free (by broadcasting a freely available over-the-air signal)? The incentive is to shut off all, or as many of your transmitters as you can, and emit as low a power as you can. And even with the black outs of the prime time programming on the U.S. stations, I could easily see Rogers for one carrying their own OMNI and CityTV stations while simply not carrying the other (fee-receiving) Cdn OTA channels, certainly here in the GTA where almost everyone can receive the stations that broadcast from the CN Tower with an antenna, and many can also get the U.S. stations.

The CRTC will hold a hearing November 19 2010 to consider Quebecors SUN TV NEWS application.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-649.htm

Some notes from the application

- Quebecor Media Inc is applying for a Category 2 licence with mandatory access granted for a maximum period of three (3) years.

- Even though QMI/TVA has reduced the deficit year after year and has tested different programming options, CKXT's deficit is now $50.3M and the average yearly negative EBITDA is $8M without any indication that its financial health will improve.

- Quebecor Media Inc has concluded that there is no probable path to financial viability for CKXT in its present form. Despite growing its audience and revenues with the addition of transmitters in Ottawa and London, and receiving concessions in its licence renewal, CKXT cannot generate now or in the future the financial resources to deliver beyond the minimum licence requirements, and does not have the national distribution to attract enough national advertisers to make it a profitable enterprise.

- In the first year of operation, Sun TV News projects to expend $4 589 000 in the production of Canadian programs. This amount will grow to $6 301 000 in the 7th year of operation.

- Sun TV News will be generate a positive cash flow on year five with a $0.25 wholesale fee

- The rapid deployment of this strategy is critical for Sun TV and programming decisions need to be swiftly made for the next programming season, therefore QMI/TVA requests that the Commission process this application on an urgent basis in the public interest and for the benefit of the television professionals that are currently involved in CKXT

- Essentially Quebecor wants to shut off CKXT's conventional transmitters. They want to use the existing building/studios/equipment to run SUN TV News.
    Last edited by Everfresh; 09-02-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post

- Quebecor Media Inc is applying for a Category 2 licence with mandatory access granted for a maximum period of three (3) years.

- Even though QMI/TVA has reduced the deficit year after year and has tested different programming options, CKXT's deficit is now $50.3M and the average yearly negative EBITDA is $8M without any indication that its financial health will improve.

- Quebecor Media Inc has concluded that there is no probable path to financial viability for CKXT in its present form. Despite growing its audience and revenues with the addition of transmitters in Ottawa and London, and receiving concessions in its licence renewal, CKXT cannot generate now or in the future the financial resources to deliver beyond the minimum licence requirements, and does not have the national distribution to attract enough national advertisers to make it a profitable enterprise.
    So they can't run a conventional station without running it into the ground, but running a Cat 2 Cable channel will make tons of money by having larger operating costs.

- In the first year of operation, Sun TV News projects to expend $4 589 000 in the production of Canadian programs. This amount will grow to $6 301 000 in the 7th year of operation.

- Sun TV News will be generate a positive cash flow on year five with a $0.25 wholesale fee

Even with a subscriber fees, there isn't enough "angry white guys" for advertisers to invest into the station.

- The rapid deployment of this strategy is critical for Sun TV and programming
    decisions need to be swiftly made for the next programming season, therefore QMI/TVA requests that the Commission process this application on an urgent basis
    in the public interest and for the benefit of the television professionals that are currently involved in CKXT

Translation: "Give us our mandatory carriage or we'll shoot this dog"

- Essentially Quebecor wants to shut off CKXT's convetional transmitters. They want to use the existing building/studios/equipment to run SUN TV News.
    They should just sell the CKXT licence, its most money they'll ever get out of this venture.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

This is the problem I have, in one year CTV News Channel and CBC News Network will lose mandatory carriage, yet SUN TV News is asking for mandatory carriage for 3 years, so for 2 years SUN TV News will have mandatory carriage when CTV News Channel & CBC News Network (along with all other specialty channels) don't. That gives SUN TV News a totally unfair advantage.

I understand that it might be harder for SUN TV News to receive carriage than it would be for CTV News Channel and CBC News Network since CTV & CBC are more established, but that is the case with any new specialty channel, why should SUN TV News get special treatment just because it's a news channel? It would be the same as Rogers demanding mandatory carriage for Sportsnet One when TSN no longer has it with the argument that TSN is more established.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I guess that means they won't air Smallville's final season. Too bad this couldn't happen in June 2011. that way it wouldn't interupt the schedule.

I don't get CW, so I guess I won't be watching Smallville this season.

If you are in Montreal; it should be on CJNT which is owned by Channel Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    If you are in Montreal; it should be on CJNT which is owned by Channel Zero.
    I have Bell, do you have a channel number?

Quote Originally Posted by robinepowell View Post
    I have Bell, do you have a channel number?
    Channel 207

Thanks. I'll have to check Zap2it's listings and see if this channel is airing Smallville this season. I tried looking on their website but couldn't find any listings.

CJNT is rebranding as Metro14 sometime this month. I believe Smallville will premiere on this channel in late September. It will also be on CHCH and CHEK (both of which are available on Bell).

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    CJNT is rebranding as Metro14 sometime this month. I believe Smallville will premiere on this channel in late September. It will also be on CHCH and CHEK (both of which are available on Bell).
    Do you have channel numbers/time and days?

207 CJNT - Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 10:00pm
    218 CHCH - Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 10:00pm
    256 CHEK - No Sure of the premier date/time