Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

The Beat Premieres July 11 on Citytv

The Beat Premieres Sunday, July 11 on Citytv

A Ten Part Canadian Docu-soap Series

The Beat presents a gritty, behind-the-scenes look at the challenges faced by the Beat Enforcement Teamís Squad Three, as they tirelessly work to maintain order in Vancouverís Downtown Eastside community. The Beat premieres with back-to-back episodes Sunday, July 11 at 10pm and 10:30pm on Citytv.

ďCitytv is proud to broadcast Galafilmís compelling portrayal of life in a neighborhood which is too often defined by headlines of poverty and addiction,Ē commented Alain Strati, Vice President of Specialty TV and Development, Rogers Media Television. ďAt times shocking but always riveting, the series focuses on the men and women who often form the last line of defense between order and chaos in this community.Ē

With unprecedented access to the police that patrol one of the most controversial neighbourhoods in Canada, and all of North America, audiences can see rooming house raids, undercover sting operations, stakeouts, petty thieves and major drug busts, all through the eyes of six members of the Beat Enforcement Team.

Led in turn by Sergeant Toby Hinton, a 20-year veteran of the beat and newly minted Sergeant Mark Steinkampf, a former jail guard and SWAT team member, Squad Three features Constable Shane Aitken, a veteran of the first Gulf War and model of poise under pressure; Constable Tim Russell, the unitís youngest and most precocious member; and Constable Kristie Fisher, who struggles to balance the rigor of her daily patrols with family life. Overseeing the squad is inspector John McKay, a well-respected 35-year veteran on the force.

The Beat was created and executive produced by Michael Kronish. Lewis Cohen (Cirque Du Soleil: Fire Within) and Gregory Fine (Webdreams) are supervising producers. Todd Serotiuk (Ice Pilots NWT) and Eli Gorn (Buy Me) directed. Stacey Tenenbaum (Mystery Hunters) produces. Galafilm exec producers are Arnie Gelbart and Jesse Fawcett. The Beat was produced in association Citytv with the participation of the Rogers Cable Network Fund, the Quebec Tax Credit Program administered by SODEC and the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit.

Looks like this has been pushed back to Friday. Although it may be airing on OLN Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by tofino View Post
    Looks like this has been pushed back to Friday. Although it may be airing on OLN Monday.
    It will premiere on OLN on July 17 (Saturdays) at 10pm.

I really wish OLN would go back to its original use, I don't think The Beat or Operation Repo or Dog the Bounty Hunter really counts as outdoor programming just because it takes place outside. And btw, it will probably get even worst, because the CRTC granted OLN's request to add sitcoms, cartoons, sketch comedy, and to increase the amount of drama allowed.

What a ludacris decision by the CRTC to allow that.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-466.htm

I would guess Rogers ask for that for a future re-branding as I don't think OLN really works right now.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    I really wish OLN would go back to its original use, I don't think The Beat or Operation Repo or Dog the Bounty Hunter really counts as outdoor programming just because it takes place outside. And btw, it will probably get even worst, because the CRTC granted OLN's request to add sitcoms, cartoons, sketch comedy, and to increase the amount of drama allowed.
    OLN in the U.S. changed to Versus which airs more sports programming(eg. CBC Hockey Night in Canada NHL coverage) Rogers couldn't import. As for rebranding, Rogers still has "METRO TV" register in the trademark database for use in "Television production services and television broadcasting services." So they could still use that if they're looking at rebanding.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).