Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TV Land Canada Becomes Comedy Gold August 2

TV Land Canada Becomes Comedy Gold August 2

From CTV Press Release

Comedy Gold
    Launching August 2, Comedy Gold sees its former TV Land Canada channel re-focus exclusively on the timeless sitcoms of the 70s, 80s and 90s. With more titles still to be confirmed, Comedy Gold features comedy classics such as the groundbreaking
    THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW; both classic Bob Newhart shows, THE BOB NEWHART SHOW and NEWHART; two-time Emmy®-winner for Best Comedy Series, MURPHY BROWN; court-room hi-jinks on NIGHT COURT; classic Canadian laughs on SCTV; and the show that catapulted Will Smith to stardom, THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR, among others.

Not really a huge change since most of TV Land's shows are sitcoms or comedy series from the past. But it's nice to see that they will actually be updating their schedule with "fresh" programming, well if you can call old programs fresh I guess. ;)
    Last edited by musimax; 06-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Will Viacom still own 20% of it?

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Will Viacom still own 20% of it?
    Don`t see why not. The only difference would probably be that CTV won`t have to pay Viacom license fees to use the TV Land brand.

Great, now that TV Land US has a show people want to see, Hot in Cleveland with Betty White, we are now certain they won't have ANYTHING new at all on this channel...

Finially a Sitcom Channel I've always wanted to see happen...not much interesting on TVLand Canada anymore anyways...at least we still have Deja View!!! Wonder if Shaw will bring this Channel on their Lineup after they killed TV Land off of their Lineup eh?!!!

at least we still have Deja View!!!
    What's so great about Dejaview?! They only have a handful of shows in their lineup and they don't even air all the episodes for those shows only certain seasons repeated over and over again!

Here are the list of shows that are on their fall schedule- 9 measly shows, that's pathetic! I guess that is all they can afford since technically they are still in bankruptcy protection.

All in the Family
    Barney Miller
    Coach
    Designing Women
    Golden Girls
    Hawaii Five-O
    Roseanne
    Three's Company
    Who's the Boss?

What I'm curious to find out is with the name 'Comedy Gold' whether it will be branded as an offshoot of The Comedy Network. Or just an unrelated all-new brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Great, now that TV Land US has a show people want to see, Hot in Cleveland with Betty White, we are now certain they won't have ANYTHING new at all on this channel...
    CTV has the rights to " Hot in Cleveland".

Yes, but are there plans to air it?

One thing that disappoints me is that we'll likely never see the TV Land Awards again. They've always been all kinds of cheesy fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    Why wouldn't they airing it when TVLand premiered it?

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    Why wouldn't they airing it when TVLand premiered it?
    Because, as you know, Canadian cable is regulated and TV Land (Canada) is a classic TV channel and HIC is brand new. That's why the American original of TV Land is able to stray to idiotic "reality" shows like high school reunions and original series like HIC.
    Last edited by lukebenward; 06-23-2010 at 12:06 AM.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    What's so great about Dejaview?! They only have a handful of shows in their lineup and they don't even air all the episodes for those shows only certain seasons repeated over and over again!

Here are the list of shows that are on their fall schedule- 9 measly shows, that's pathetic! I guess that is all they can afford since technically they are still in bankruptcy protection.

All in the Family
    Barney Miller
    Coach
    Designing Women
    Golden Girls
    Hawaii Five-O
    Roseanne
    Three's Company
    Who's the Boss?
    You AREN'T kidding here! Deja View has had Three's Company double-running at Midnight for 3.5 years STRAIGHT. I'm a creature of habit and like to "zone out" at Midnight w/ a couple of mindless sitcoms. 3.5 years ago, it was Sanford & Son at 12 and 12:30 on TV Land (Canada). Once that disappeared, it's been TC... in a continuous loop. I've seen the entire series 7 or 8 times now (or feels like it!).

Once you take out the crappy Cancon (What Ever Happened To, TV Tube) on Deja View, you have a piddly retro TV channel.

Here's what the American TV Land airs (not to mention free streaming full episodes of certain shows):

http://www.tvland.com/

I guess between Deja View and TV Land (Canada), we have a barely adequate retro TV channel.
    Last edited by lukebenward; 06-23-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lukebenward View Post
    Because, as you know, Canadian cable is regulated and TV Land (Canada) is a classic TV channel and HIC is brand new. That's why the American original of TV Land is able to stray to idiotic "reality" shows like high school reunions and original series like HIC.
    It would still have fit fine on the main CTV net, A or Comedy Network.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    Well, if you are alluding to the fact that you would hope that TV Land Canada would air Hot in Cleveland, that wouldn't happen even if they wanted to. TV Land Canada isn't allowed to air new scripted shows, all of the sitcoms and dramas must be like 10 or 15 years old or something like that according to its licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    Do you know if they will air it at some point soon and what channel?

Does CTV really have the rights, or is that just an assumption?

I'm guessing if the show has good enough cable ratings in the US, it will get picked up here (most likely by CTV).

Here's the logo of Comedy Gold. And its website looks as though it will turn out to be comedygold.ca, however, there's nothing there yet. It's in development.

Interesting,

Based on that logo, it appears as though Comedy Gold will be a spin-off channel from The Comedy Network?! In that case, why don't they rename The Comedy Network as simply 'Comedy'?! That channel is in serious need of a refreshing, it is the same as the day it launched over 10 years ago- PATHETIC!!

Still waiting to see what other shows are added to the lineup- don't be cheap CTVgm, there are plenty of series to choose from!

I agree, CDN Viewer. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when CHANNELS call themselves NETWORK. What about The Comedy Network makes it a network? A network has affiliates. It's a CHANNEL, dyammit!!!

:DI'm a nerd.:D

Here's the Wikipedia take, FWIW:

Under the Broadcasting Act, a network is defined as "any operation where control over all or any part of the programs or program schedules of one or more broadcasting undertakings is delegated to another undertaking or person"[8] and must be licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
    Only four national over-the-air television networks are currently licensed by the CRTC: the government-owned CBC (English) and Radio-Canada (French), French-language private network TVA, and a network focused on Canada's indigenous peoples, APTN. A third French-language service, V, is licensed as a provincial network within Quebec, but not nationally.
    Therefore, CBC and Global are not licensed as networks in Canada, nevermind any of the specialty channels.