Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Comedy Gold programming ideas

I thought I would spin-off the discussion from the Comedy Gold thread about the programming that will be airing on this channel and the potential pool of shows it can select from. I have compiled a list of the most popular and/or well known sitcoms from the 3 decades CTV has said this channel will focus on- 70s, 80s & 90s. Here is the list, organized by the studio who owns the rights to the show:

20TH CENTURY FOX
    The Bob Newhart Show
    Dharma & Greg
    M*A*S*H
    Mr. Belvedere

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Newhart
    Rhoda
    Small Wonder
    WKRP in Cincinnati

BUENA VISTA (DISNEY)
    Blossom
    Boy Meets World
    Empty Nest
    The Golden Girls
    Home Improvement
    SpinCity

CBS PARAMOUNT
    Bosom Buddies
    The Brady Bunch
    Caroline in the City
    Cheers
    Dave's World
    Dear John
    Family Ties
    Frasier
    Happy Days
    Laverne & Shirley
    The Love Boat
    Mork & Mindy
    The Odd Couple
    Taxi
    Webster
    Wings

SONY PICTURES
    All in the Family
    Archie Bunker's Place
    Barney Miller
    Benson
    Designing Women
    Diff'rent Strokes
    The Facts of Life
    Good Times
    Just Shoot Me!
    The Jeffersons
    The King of Queens
    Mad About You
    Maude
    Married... with Children
    My Two Dads
    The Nanny
    NewsRadio
    One day at a Time
    The Partridge Family
    Punky Brewster
    Sanford and Son
    Seinfeld
    Silver Spoons
    Soap
    Who's the Boss?

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
    Amen
    Charles in Charge
    Coach
    Gimme a Break!
    Kate & Allie
    Major Dad
    Saved by the Bell

WARNER BROS.
    ALF
    Alice
    Chico and the Man
    The Drew Carey Show
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Family Matters
    The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Friends
    Full House
    Growing Pains
    Head of the Class
    The Hogan Family
    Mama's Family
    Martin
    Murphy Brown
    Night Court
    Perfect Strangers
    Step by Step
    Welcome Back, Kotter

CARSEY-WERNER
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    A Different World
    Cosby
    The Cosby Show
    Cybill
    Grace under Fire
    Roseanne
    That '70s Show

DLT ENTERTAINMENT
    The Ropers
    Three's A Crowd
    Three's Company
    Too Close for Comfort

Based on the discussion in the other thread and my observations, it appears as though Canwest has agreements with Sony, Universal, Disney, Carsey-Werner & DLT Entertainment. This leaves Paramount, Warner Bros. & Fox for CTV & Comedy Gold. Sony has by far the largest library of shows followed by Warner Bros. so if CTV can't strike a deal with them, we lose a good chunk of shows. I did notice that TV Land Canada currently has 2 Sony shows in their lineup (Fantasy Island & Hart to Hart) so perhaps that means that Canwest does not have an exclusive deal with them?! Also, Dejaview will be adding a Paramount show to their lineup in the fall (Hawaii Five-O) so hopefully neither broadcaster has exclusive contracts with any studio.

Bottom line, I hope CTV does a better job with this channel and puts more effort into making it a successful service unlike TV Land Canada which was abandoned and left to die a slow death. They need to refresh the lineup every now and then and more importantly (IMO) they need to acquire the rights to ALL seasons for whatever shows they are airing. If that doesn't happen then they will lose me as a potential viewer as I don't want to sit and watch the same group of episodes over and over again.
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 06-27-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Nice thread! You re-made my post in the other thread but nicer haha thanks!

I really hope that Comedy Gold doesn't air any shows from Dejaview. I'll be extremely pissed if Golden Girls is on that channel too - like beyond pissed. Paramount and Warner both have a nice list of shows to choose from. FOX has a few as well. I'm not sure about something, let's say they have an agreement with Warner Bros. for example. Does that mean they can acquire any of their shows or is it harder to get one over another. Does it depend on popularity or how does it work?

Can't wait to see this channel's final schedule for August 2...

What? No Canadian shows?Or maybe even some UK ones? Surely we've had some good ones in the past that could garner a stint on this channel and mention here. It requires 35% Cancon, so it's going to be a sizable part of the channel whether we like it or not, which I don't mind.

But I think SCTV is a good addition though; Kids in the Hall would be another. Other than those, I can't say there would be too many others I wouls care to see, but that's just me, and well frankly, watching old tV shows for the most part isn't my thing. Well except for some of the 90s and late 80s like Seinfeld and Roseanne, with some exceptions I'm sure.

Also, I've never seen CODCO, that might be an interesting one to check out.
    Last edited by musimax; 06-27-2010 at 08:32 PM.

I would imagine there will be some reruns of Just for Laughts, Comedy Club 54, Commics among others.

Nice thread! You re-made my post in the other thread but nicer haha thanks!
    Thanks!

I was bored and decided to put together a list of the sitcoms that aired back in the day (when television was worth watching ;))

I am really hoping that this channel will be a good one, right now there isn't really a good retro channel on either side of the border. Of course on the other hand I am not expecting much given CTV's handling of TV Land but things can change?!

A couple of things that make me think this channel will be handled differently are 1) They have aligned it with the Comedy Network, a sister station if you will and 2) it is now listed on CTV's media site- TV Land was never listed on there.

I would imagine there will be some reruns of Just for Laughts, Comedy Club 54, Commics among others.
    Based on the fact this channel will be connected to The Comedy Network, these are the types of shows I am thinking they will air for Cancon purposes- shows that aired on TCN back when it first launched.

If this channel will be expanded to include sketch comedy series as well then I would really like the see The Carol Burnett Show- one of the greats from television's 'Golden Era'!

CDN Viewer. Comedy Network still airs shows FROM its Original Days! like Comedy Club 54 and Just for laughs for the 1990's and Comedy Now! airs on CTV still ... wtf is that ? Id love to see The A-Team on there, or Macgyver. i know its Comedy Gold, but still the A-Team was funny.
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    What? No Canadian shows?Or maybe even some UK ones? Surely we've had some good ones in the past that could garner a stint on this channel and mention here. It requires 35% Cancon, so it's going to be a sizable part of the channel whether we like it or not, which I don't mind.

But I think SCTV is a good addition though; Kids in the Hall would be another. Other than those, I can't say there would be too many others I wouls care to see, but that's just me, and well frankly, watching old tV shows for the most part isn't my thing. Well except for some of the 90s and late 80s like Seinfeld and Roseanne, with some exceptions I'm sure.

Also, I've never seen CODCO, that might be an interesting one to check out.

What? canadian shows. Not sure. I do not want to see on this channel Due South! Its been airing on tv tropolis and sometime on dejaview + its air on CMT. Do not need more. If someone could find a list of good quality canadian shows from some network, please make a list! Because so far i only think of Due South and Corner Gas:D.

Remember that this channel is focusing on SITCOMS. Due South would not even be in consideration to be aired on this channel. You can pretty much, as a general rule, rule out an hour-long shows.

Quote Originally Posted by phxsunsm View Post
    Remember that this channel is focusing on SITCOMS. Due South would not even be in consideration to be aired on this channel. You can pretty much, as a general rule, rule out an hour-long shows.
    Well, let's see...
    - MovieTime has cancon fillers like "Whatever Happened To" and "Traders" and "Once a Thief", which aren't movies at all. They air 0 canadian movies but falsely promotes 250 movies per month while in reality they barely air 90.
    - BBC Canada gets rid of notable BBC Shows (like EastEnders) and replace them by canadian HGTV fillers.
    - and a lot of other examples.

I'm sure Comedy Gold will be able to hide their cancon fillers in early mornings, virtually airing anything in hope nobody will notice and the fact that their CRTC licence doesn't limit themselves to comedy.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    I'm sure Comedy Gold will be able to hide their cancon fillers in early mornings, virtually airing anything in hope nobody will notice and the fact that their CRTC licence doesn't limit themselves to comedy.
    If anything, they'll probably just rerun The Red Green Show ten times a day. :D