Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G20 Coverage: PATHETIC

There's a full-bore riot going on, and the only actual broadcast station covering it is CHCH in Hamilton. This is PATHETIC. Everyone else is showing idiotic celebrity shows and such.

Come on, break into your programming guys! CTV, Global, Citytv! A full-screen, HD picture is way better than the little square on CP24!

Thanks for the heads-up, riots are one of the best things to watch on live TV (albeit its sad that there is one, doesn't look good on both Toronto and Canada). I switched over from soccer to CHCH.

I don't have a problem with CBC airing the World Cup, because they are obligated to do so, but the rest should break into their programming. Except for CBC, I don't think any national networks are doing any specials on the G8 and G20. CBC did a 1 hour special this afternoon and they are doing another 1 hour special tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not upset with CBC, either. The World Cup is a big deal. But everyone else has no excuse.

CityNews is twittering, but that's just a weaksauce cop-out.

Protest is moving to Dundas Square, right in front of City's NEWSROOM. If they don't break into the mindless celebrity show, I've totally lost faith in Citytv.

Quote Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
    I don't have a problem with CBC airing the World Cup, because they are obligated to do so, but the rest should break into their programming. Except for CBC, I don't think any national networks are doing any specials on the G8 and G20. CBC did a 1 hour special this afternoon and they are doing another 1 hour special tomorrow afternoon.

CBC NN has been covering it, CP24 sounds like desperate talking about anything at points when there wasn't anything happening, although they had the better vanantge point seeing that most of the riots centre around 299 Queen West.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Well Global was airing Golf, not filler programming like CTV, Citytv ect..

That being said Global broke into Golf with live updates all afternoon, and the 6:00PM newscast was commercial free. Really impressed with the work of reporters/anchors, especially Leslie Roberts who is trapped in the microwave truck and Alex Pierson who got caught in the middle of a dangerous protest!
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-26-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    My views are my own and do not represent any company.

I think Citytv was the biggest disappointment of all. Yes, they had really high-quality, in-depth HD broadcasts for the two hours between 5pm and 7pm, but before and after that they were sitting on their thumbs doing nothing. It's like they simply don't care anymore. (Well, that's been known for a while.)

A state of the art, multi-million dollar, high tech newsroom in the middle of the city... which was pretty much useless. So much for "Citytv... everywhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    There's a full-bore riot going on, and the only actual broadcast station covering it is CHCH in Hamilton. This is PATHETIC. Everyone else is showing idiotic celebrity shows and such.

Come on, break into your programming guys! CTV, Global, Citytv! A full-screen, HD picture is way better than the little square on CP24!
    I'm not sure where you're watching from but CTV had coverage on the full network inluding all the A's most of the afternoon. The A's broke off coverage as of 6pm ET/3pm PT and CTV broke off coverage at 8pm ET.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    I'm not sure where you're watching from but CTV had coverage (on the full network inluding all the A's most of the afternoon. The A's broke off coverage as of 6pm ET but CTV is still covering the G20 events - on the full network.
    Through the first couple of hours of the shit hitting the fan, CTV Toronto was airing mindless stuff like ferret races. Trust me, I was flipping away from CP24 constantly so I could try to see a bigger picture of what was happening.

Through the first couple of hours of the shit hitting the fan, CTV Toronto was airing mindless stuff like ferret races. Trust me, I was flipping away from CP24 constantly so I could try to see a bigger picture of what was happening.
    CTV News Channel was all over it all day - they have a bigger screen

CityNews also aired a special 2hr G8/20 news program at 5pm ET - Timshifted on Citytv stations accross the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfresh View Post
    CTV News Channel was all over it all day - they have a bigger screen
    To be honest, I don't even remember where on my dial CTV News Channel is. I'm not a fan of their reporting style.

I've been keeping a eye on the International Front; CNN has nothing, BBC just highlights with footage from CP24 and CBC with a reporter in the red zone. AJE has used a mix of their own video footage and a bit of CP24/CBC footage, but they had their own people in the field, notice Avi Lewis dart pass a CP24 and CBC footage during the riots.

Anyone also notice that most of the riots happen in front of 299 Queen West?
    Last edited by Mayhem; 06-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Broadcast journalism in this country is a joke as is most of print. It's the answer as to the OP's question about scant coverage.

Since Fox News North may be arriving on the tiers then Real News Network (headed by a former CBC exec) should be added as well.

And I actually do hold the Ceeb accountable for not having more coverage. This is why DTV sub channels are needed at least for over flow situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Anyone also notice that most of the riots happen in front of 299 Queen West?
    Lucky coincidence for CP24. The initial violence happened along Queen because that's the line the cops drew in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    Broadcast journalism in this country is a joke as is most of print. It's the answer as to the OP's question about scant coverage.
    News is sort of a legal monopoly in this country. Stations who could air it won't because its too much money (aka Citytv), or who want to, but can't because their licence forbids them to(aka CHCH). And then there are the ones who want to but are stop because the market is already "saturated".

Quote Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post
    And I actually do hold the Ceeb accountable for not having more coverage. This is why DTV sub channels are needed at least for over flow situations.
    Why would they want sub channels? Sub Channels don't make money like CBC NN or CP24. Besides all the action happen outside 299 Queen Street West, I'm surprised the protesters didn't do more damage to the building; just one broken window compared to smashed stores and banks across the street.

I think Citytv was the biggest disappointment of all. Yes, they had really high-quality, in-depth HD broadcasts for the two hours between 5pm and 7pm, but before and after that they were sitting on their thumbs doing nothing. It's like they simply don't care anymore. (Well, that's been known for a while.)

A state of the art, multi-million dollar, high tech newsroom in the middle of the city... which was pretty much useless. So much for "Citytv... everywhere!"
    I agree. CTV and /A\ broke in, Global broke in despite the fact that they were airing live PGA Golf, CBC had the World Cup, what was Citytv airing?

Cancon reruns and infomercials!

Citytv's 5:00PM news special actually had an infomercial as a lead-in! With CBC & Global stuck with airing live sporting events, wouldn't they want to take advantage of less competition?

Not giving Global a total free pass, I would have pre-empted Golf all together, but live PGA Golf coverage is a lot more understandable than Cancon filler and infomercials. I'm sure it was very frustrating for the staff at Citytv not being able to go live when the station is just airing low rated cancon and paid programming, Why would you air that when CTV, /A\, CP24, CTV News Channel, and CBC News Network all have live coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why would they want sub channels? Sub Channels don't make money like CBC NN or CP24.
    Exactly, CBC doesn't need a sub-channel, CBC News Network was airing live coverage.

FYI, As far as I know CHCH had live coverage (as did CTV, /A\, CP24, CTV News Channel, and CBC News Network)

Also, in addition to live cut-ins during PGA Golf (and i'm not just talking about a few 1 or 2 minute updates, some news breaks lasted around 8 minutes) Global also had updated raw video at GlobalToronto.com
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-26-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    FYI, As far as I know CHCH had live coverage (as did CTV, /A\, CP24, CTV News Channel, and CBC News Network)
    CHCH did have live coverage, I was referring to that during the licence renewals CTV cry foul that it would take their viewers away, so they agreed not to cover Toronto news. I'm not saying CHCH did a bad job, just that CTV is fine with SunTV News when a few months ago they where going ballistics over CHCH all news/movie plan.

CHCH had coverage from 12:00pm straight through to 7:00pm. Likewise they will have coverage from 12:00pm to 7:00pm tomorrow.

I will give CBC credit for staying on until 10pm ET with live coverage. I know CTV ended their coverage a couple hours earlier, not sure about Global.

Now that the networks have lots of headsup, it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.