Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

If CTVgm keeps the "A-Channel" network, what will it look like?

If CTVgm keeps the "A-Channel" network, what will it look like?

First off, If CTV does decide to keep the "A-Channel" Network, I think the first programming move for CTV would be to move staples "Whell of Fortune" and "Jeopardy" to the "A-Channel" stations in Ontario adn BC and to ASN in the Maritimes and "access" in Alberta. These could air in simcast in the 7pm ET/PT hour or 8pm AT/MT (KHQ-TV Spokane airs them at 7pm PT). [P.S. This move should allow the CTV network to air more CanCon before "primetime starts at 8pm ET/PT and allow CTV to engauge in more simcasting with the US Networks.
    Last edited by cslusarc; 06-11-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Moving Wheel/Jeopardy to A Channel would probably be a good idea. It would give them a guaranteed hit over there, plus it would clear up room to truly make primetime 7-11 for them.

CanView Guest
    It varies from market to market.

In Ontario, BC, and Martimes they could do this. (BTW can ASN simulcast?)

But this would cause varying schedules throughout the CTV networks.

SK and MB are ok because our Prime Time starts at 7 anyways and Wheel/Jepoardy are on at 5

But Quebec would be a problem.

Jeopardy is not shown on CFCF in Montreal, they have Access Hollywood instead.

The A-Channel branding was the worst thing to ever happen to CKVR. (A.K.A. The New VR.)

My relatives up in Huntsville were upset that the focus was moved from Barrie and Cottage Country to "Just Above Toronto". The channel promos are sickeningly blasť, with a soft-spoken voice directly aimed at soccer moms.

Nothing CTV can do will be worse than what it is right now. (Canwest took the cake with E!, but Canwest is lowbrow defined. Weep for Showcase.) Let's hope they move it out of the achingly dull suburb of Vaughn and back up to its original spot in Barrie. Barrie's a bit of a boomtown right now, it's population is growing and many are making the daily commute to and from Toronto. Plus, Muskoka and surrounding regions are in need of a bit of loving.

A-Channel under CTV ownership, mark my words, looks like even more of an ugly stepsister than it does now. It becomes CTV's CH; that is, the place where it shovels off all the crap that isn't pulling the numbers on the "real" network.

And CKX disaffiliates from the Ceeb within two years and becomes "A-Channel (or whatever the new brand is) Manitoba".

Silly thought exercise: let's say another company that already has a station or two under its belt (Corus? Pattison?) puts in a bid for A-Channel + CKX + ASN + Access Alberta. Fledgling third commercial network, anyone?

I could just see CTV doing the same thing as Canwest and rebranding A Channel to VH1:D. Just kidding.

CTV has confirmed that they will re-brand A Channel though, they have not announced anything more yet.

they should rebrand A - Channel as FX Canada or even USA Network Canada
    Last edited by Darlotto; 07-17-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlotto View Post
    they should rebrand A - Channel as FX Canada or even USA Network Canada
    LOL .. well I don't think they have the FX programming anyway so that wouldn't work and I don't think they'd dare trying to use the USA Network brand on a Canadian channel.

My guess is CTV2, CTV Extra, or something with the CTV name in there, they'll want to keep their Canadian identity, especially with CH going to a US brand. CTV bills itself as "Canadian Television" so they could play off that easily with a second feeder network like CTV2. It would be a strong brand tie in, and over time become so accepted by Canadians the cities that don't have one will want one.

They didn't lose much by not getting CityTV instead, they likely had plan B setup from the start. The A-Channel network pretty much has a national reach already just in less lucrative ad markets, but still they can work this in their favour easy enough.
    Last edited by Tripster; 07-17-2007 at 11:19 PM.

I'd really like to see CTVgm use the A-Channels as a market for the US cable shows (stuff on ABC Family/FX/USA/Showtime etc), plus a 'edgier' originals (Grand Star comes to mind). I think there's definitely enough material there to make a cohesive network, and better yet they could make schedules that flow as they don't have to simulcast.

Remember though that simulcasting is the bread and butter for Canadian networks. Also let's remember that right now the A Channel's are not making money, they are not even breaking even! And when you look at A Channel's primetime schedule, it's no surprise that they are loosing money. All it has is Movies, Smallville, more Movies, and filler. When your #1 show is SuperNanny something is wrong!

So as much as it would be nice for the A Channel's to buy a bunch of cable programming that we don't get, I would really be shocked if it happenend. CTV will use the A Channel's to simulcast american programming. A Channel's will look just like the CH stations once CTV programs them.

Robert J, I am starting to beat a dead horse on these message boards, but you have to realize...the whole point of choosing the programming a lot of these channels go for is so that they CAN simulcast Canadian signals over American networks (to deprive us of the originating signals). Turning the A-Channels into stations that primarily show things we can't otherwise get here defeats the purpose of their prime directive. If you think Canadian channels in the 21st century are here to make things better for the Canadian viewing public, respectfully, I say you need to do a little more research.

Harsh? Perhaps, but I challenge anyone to take on what I'm saying here. Thanks to the now-impotent CRTC, there is no incentive for Canadian TV to give us anything of substance on prime time TV. They can point to the pseudo-substance of reali-tee-vee-crap that passes for "Canadian culture", but I haven't seen so much lowest-common-denominator TV since the boxing matches that filled the American airwaves in the late 40s/early 50s!

While I celebrate every Corner Gas or Little Mosque, I lament every (Insert-Your-Country-Here)'s Idol or (Insert-Your-Country-Here)'s Top Model. If anyone thinks we are getting a proper representation of Canadian life on our airwaves, I welcome you to edumacate me! ("Edcuamacate"...the word coined by Homer Simpson...on one of the FEW non-Canadian shows that CBC could never bring itself to cancel during its so-called All-Canadian lineup!)

;-D

Gord's right, one of the reasons some folks want the true US versions of basic cable services is because it may be the only way to get them to air the stuff in Canada on the same day/time as the US airing.

Look at how Space treated Stargate SG1 for years, they didn't air it. Only Global was airing it and only the syndicated version. Why the heck aren't the Canadian broadcasters stepping up to the plate once in a while and co-producing some of this stuff that is actually filmed, produced, etc. right here in Canada anyway. Instead, they sometimes won't even spend the money for first run rights and simply wait it out until the cheaper syndicated run is available. So, imagine what would have happened if SciFi Channel was available in Canada and Space had simsub rights .. they'd have aired it same day/time as SciFi.

They don't co-produce squat for the most part, sure they'll sometimes make an effort like CTV with Idol, but they didn't do that with Who Wants to be a Millionaire? when it was a prime time hit, nope, they bought the US version even with the disclaimer in the fine print of the contest only being open to US residents. Meanwhile tons of other countries had franchised the rights and were running a domestic version. Blame simsubs for that.

At least the CBC managed to get some co-production credit on Doctor Who and Torchwood. If it wasn't for them we likely wouldn't even get to see the new series here other than via the net.

Well if we are talking about co-producing, Global is the king of that. Global has found a way to make Canadian content that has nothing to do with Canada that they can sell the show to the U.S.!

Strange Days was done with Discovery Kids USA
    No Boundaries was done with The WB
    Wild Card was done with Lifetime
    Falcon Beach was done with ABC Family
    The Best Years was done with The N
    Burn Up was done with BBC
    About a Girl was done with The N
    Durham County was done with Movie Central
    Painkiller Jane was done with SciFi

And that's just some programs! Not to mention they have teamed up with Lifetime to do some Movies on E! Thursdays from 9-11 that will count as Canadian content, oh and Canwest also has plans to co-produce a bunch of shows with E! in the U.S.

What is weird is that CHUM was a producer on Blood Ties that aired on Lifetime last winter and they haven't aired it yet, and they were planning on showing it Mondays at 8pm, but now Chuck took the spot and they haven't relocated it yet...

Well glad to see Canwest stepping up to the plate a bit, I should have mentioned in my rant that yes some stuff has been done in co-production, shows like Andromeda come to mind.

It would be nice to see them do some of this on their own as well, a good example of what may have been a good idea for them is Dead Like Me from Showtime, it was produced in Vancouver. When the head of SHO cancelled it she did so because she personally didn't like the show, it had a good following at the time and decent ratings, well decent for SHO anyway.

Someone should have jumped on that and kept it rolling, it has great resell value as it airs on SciFi Channel now in reruns, although I'd imagine SHO may have had final say whether it was even possible for someone to keep producing the show once SHO canceled it. Too bad really, it was a fun show and it still had lots of stories left to tell.