Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980

    Fox Sports World shutting down?!

    It has been over a month since Canwest announced their Fall 2010 information including highlights and schedules for their specialty channels. No fall info was released for Fox Sports World Canada and nothing has been posted on the Canwest website which leads me to believe that perhaps this channel might be shutting down?! The most current schedule on the Canwest site is for Summer 2010, while every other specialty channel also has a fall 2010 schedule posted. Why are they taking so long to finalize the schedule for the fall- or perhaps there won't be a fall schedule?!

    Any one have any info on the status of this channel and whether its heading for the exit, so to speak?! ;)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,697
    The only thing that I can figure is they are still working with The Score to get some Serie A rights, so they are waiting for that before they announce their schedule. If they don't get Serie A, they may be shutting down since it accounts for most of their programming.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    You might be right, looks like so far the only place Serie A will be airing is on The Score. I checked the TLN website and they have put up info on the Europa League for the upcoming season but no info on Serie A. It appears as though they haven't been able to reach a deal with The Score either?!

    I think TLN will get the rights to Serie A and may even buy up the rights to most of the matches which they will split between TLN and their new channel EuroworldSports. I am thinking a similar deal to the one The Score had with EPL- sub-license most of the games to others and keep one or two matches for themselves.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,769
    Let's see...

    - Fox Sports World is a digital Cat 2 specialty from CanWest. CanWest treat all of their Cat 2 specialties like crap, as repeat services, so they won't invest much in programming since they feel like nobody is watching.

    - Fox Sports World hasn't made ANY profit since their launch and made about 200,000$ in national publicity in 2009, which is ridiculously low for a sports channel.

    - CanWest sucks monkey balls on everything Sports. Remember Xtreme Sports? It sucked so bad it has been shut down. Remember when Global had the SuperBowl? They were just happy to simply rebroadcast the show and sell advertisements without adding anything, without using their specialties for extra content.

    - FSW's website is too basic, has little to no information, it doesn,t look like they are interested in that channel, or even promoting it.

    - Setanta Sports Canada and GolTV Canada will launch in HD next month, which should bring in more attention from soccer fans. Watching sports in SD is boring... CanWest has no intention of launching their channel in HD.

    - Setanta Sports USA has shut down and replaced by Fox Soccer Plus, so it's more likely that Setanta Canada will continue with their current associations, commitments and signed deals.

    - Fox Sports World has a few leagues, but they can be easily overbid by their competitors.

    So, shutting down Fox Sports World would be a much better solution. We are waiting for the announcement.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,140
    The main problem with FSWC is that Canwest has no other outlet to rerun programming from FSWC on, or vise vera, they have no other channels that could or would be suitable to air FSWC programs.

    For some other broadcasters, that wouldn't be a problem, but we all are all too familiar about how Canwest absolutely loves to rerun and reuse their programs for other channels, so the lack of recycleable programming is a big boil for Canwest.

    IMO, I hope it gets sold, in addition to a number of other channels they own, but that's a different topic.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    IMO, I hope it gets sold
    I hope it gets shut down, what would be the point of selling it and who would buy it?! There are already two much better soccer channels on the air in Canada- GolTV & Setanta Sports. Between the two of them you get access to many of the most popular soccer leagues in the world (England, Spain, Germany, France, Scotland, Brazil) as well as UEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champions League. WC & Euro qualifiers and friendlies. Throw in The Score for Serie A & TLN for Europa League (and possibly Serie A as well) and you have pretty much everything you could want. There is no need for FSWC and no need for another channel like it period so unless a prospective buyer is looking at doing something else with it, I say just shut it down as it has outlived its usefulness.

    Also, I agree with your point about it being the odd man out, so to speak, meaning they can't repeat programming from other channels on FSWC. That actually might be the reason that Canwest might shut it down and not because its crap (which you all appear to agree with based on your replies).

    On a side note, Discovery Health also has no fall schedule listed for it, so maybe its a goner as well?!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    It's not going to be shut down. It has more than a million subscribers and is carried on all major providers. That has value, and so does their flagship program Fox Soccer Report that is shown in the U.S. on Fox Soccer Channel.

    NB Josh is probably right that they are trying to get some Serie A matches.

    It will be interesting to see what Shaw does with the channel when they take control. Remember, Shaw also controls TLN, the other channel that might want to buy some Serie A games from The Score.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,140
    I don't think it'll shut down either, nor do I think it should. If anything, it'll be sold. Which, we don't even know if that'll even happen yet.

    But just as a little tidbit of info here, X-Treme Sports was shut down and it had over 900,000 subscribers, so that's not all that far off what FSWC has now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    It's not going to be shut down. It has more than a million subscribers and is carried on all major providers. That has value, and so does their flagship program Fox Soccer Report that is shown in the U.S. on Fox Soccer Channel.
    How do you know it's not going to shut down, do you have some inside info or something?! Sorry but those things you mentioned don't really mean anything, if they want to shut it down they will. Corporations look at the bottom line- does it make money AND does it attract advertisers. FSWC FAILS on both counts! According to CRTC stats, in 2009 it lost over $200, 000 and has never turned a profit. As far as advertising goes, it has very little live programming to attract viewers and without any viewers you won't have any companies wanting to advertise either. Face it they have done NOTHING to improve this channel and as a result it doesn't deserve to stay on the air occupying bandwidth that could go to another channel. The subscribers numbers mean squat because of the packaging system in Canada, just because 1 million subscribe to it does not mean all of those people watch it.

    Fine Living had almost 2 million subs when it was shut down and was making money yet apparently that wasn't enough for Canwest who decided to pull the plug on it. It may live on temporarily but hopefully once Shaw takes the reigns they will send this channel packing.

    It will be interesting to see what Shaw does with the channel when they take control. Remember, Shaw also controls TLN, the other channel that might want to buy some Serie A games from The Score.
    Initially I thought that TLN might be interested in buying it since they had applied for a soccer channel of their own. However, based on the fact they are launching a very similar service (Euroworld Sports), I would says they have zero interest in it now. This channel has almost an identical nature of service to FSWC- a service devoted to Soccer, Cricket & Rugby. (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2006/db2006-114.htm)

    If TLN manage to secure the rights to Serie A (which I hope they do) then I would say FSWC is done for.

    Regarding Fox Soccer Report, this program does make money for them because they sell it to Fox Soccer Channel in the US but they don't need FSWC in order to keep producing this show. The main purpose of this program is for export to the US not to air on FSWC. If I am not mistaken, it is produced from the Global Winnipeg studios and thus can continue to do so even if FSWC shuts down.
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 07-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    According to CRTC stats, in 2009 it lost over $200, 000 and has never turned a profit.
    Those aren't full financial statements. It doesn't include revenue from selling the Fox Soccer Report.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    it doesn't deserve to stay on the air occupying bandwidth that could go to another channel.
    'Deserve' has nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    The subscribers numbers mean squat because of the packaging system in Canada, just because 1 million subscribe to it does not mean all of those people watch it.
    As long as they're getting subscriber fees they don't care very much.

    Do you think Euroworld Sports will actually launch? They've had the licence for more than four years and haven't done anything with it. Why would Shaw go to the expense of launching a new soccer, etc. channel when they have FSWC?

    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Regarding Fox Soccer Report, this program does make money for them because they sell it to Fox Soccer Channel in the US but they don't need FSWC in order to keep producing this show. The main purpose of this program is for export to the US not to air on FSWC. If I am not mistaken, it is produced from the Global Winnipeg studios and thus can continue to do so even if FSWC shuts down.
    But if they're going to continue to produce the show, which accounts for a big portion of the expenses of FSWC, why not keep the channel going and collecting subscriber fees?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    Do you think Euroworld Sports will actually launch? They've had the licence for more than four years and haven't done anything with it. Why would Shaw go to the expense of launching a new soccer, etc. channel when they have FSWC?
    It has launched on Rogers, ch. 425. The official launch I believe has not occurred yet and from what I have gathered it is not broadcasting a full schedule yet but it will be launching. If you have Rogers, check it out and see what it is broadcasting. They are probably still finalizing the schedule which is why for the time being its in test mode.

    Oh and Shaw & Corus (who own TLN who own Euroworld Sports) are two different companies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,697
    I wonder if Score Media would have any interest in it if Canwest wanted to sell it? They could continue to put Serie A matches on it, as well as Argentine matches. Then in the future they could go after rights to other leagues to supplement the coverage. If The Score plans to air 3 matches per week, that could still leave 4 slots that FSWC could air matches from.

    They could also do a nightly Footy Show and maybe go after some sub-licenses of events that FSC airs in the US, but the rights are held by a different channel in Canada (Like early round Champions League, FA Cup and some EURO and World Cup qualifiers).
    Last edited by NB Josh; 07-18-2010 at 10:37 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Thanks for the info on Euroworld Sports. I hadn't heard that it was launching. I expect they'll get some Europa League matches from TLN. They might show some Eurosport News (like FSWC does with SKY Sports News), but what else can they put on their schedule?

    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Oh and Shaw & Corus (who own TLN who own Euroworld Sports) are two different companies.
    Did you know that they are both controlled by the Shaw family?

    FSWC won't be sold or shut down before Shaw takes control.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    but what else can they put on their schedule?
    There are several properties they can add to this channel, such as:

    Europa League
    Serie A (if they can get some games from The Score)
    Argentine league
    Chilean league
    Mexican league
    Copa Libertadores (South American equivalent of Champions League)
    Dutch Eiredivisie

    Looking at FSWC, they actually don't need to add a lot of live events to get the channel on the air ;)

    Did you know that they are both controlled by the Shaw family?
    Yes I did, but they are operated as totally separate companies. Shaw owns voting shares in Corus Entertainment but its operated at arms length from Shaw Communications. I expect Canwest will operate the same way, most likely as a subsidiary of Shaw.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,697
    My view on the soccer leagues mentioned

    Europa League - would have to sublicense from TLN + find a feed to carry (DirecTV and Gol TV air it in the US)

    Serie A (if they can get some games from The Score)

    Argentine league - already air 1 game, would have to find an English feed for the rest

    Chilean league - I doubt there is an English feed available

    Mexican league - see Chilean league, FSC no longer carries Mexican football

    Copa Libertadores (South American equivalent of Champions League) - Same as Mexico and Chile

    Dutch Eiredivisie - Would be a nice addition, but once again I'm not sure where they would get the feed from. I'd assume there is an English-language international feed, but maybe not.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Shaw owns voting shares in Corus Entertainment but its operated at arms length from Shaw Communications.
    That's not true. The Shaw family heavily influences the management of Corus.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    Europa League - would have to sublicense from TLN + find a feed to carry (DirecTV and Gol TV air it in the US)
    Euroworld Sports is OWNED by Telelatino so they wouldn't need to sub-license anything. This gives them another outlet to air Europa league because right now TLN doesn't really air much of anything.

    As for the other leagues, why does the commentary have to be in English?! Telelatino is an ethnic channel that airs programming in Spanish, Italian and English. How many english speaking people would be interested in watching Mexican or Chilean soccer?! The Dutch league is currently available on ESPN''s online service ESPN3 so there is an English feed available.
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 07-20-2010 at 04:05 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    That might be true but all I know is that Corus operates as separate company.
    Changed your mind?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Euroworld Sports is OWNED by Telelatino so they wouldn't need to sub-license anything. This gives them another outlet to air Europa league because right now TLN doesn't really air much of anything.
    I just took a quick glance at your post and thought you were referring to FSWC (after all this is a thread about FSWC). Sorry for the confusion. In the case of Euroworldsports, many of those minus Argentina and Chile make sense.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,980
    Looks like my wish/prediction will become reality- The following was posted on the DH boards, FSWC will be dropped by Bell TV on Oct. 7, probably because its shutting down!

    I was trying to do some changes on my a la carte channels and it showed up when I tried to activate my change:

    "Fox SportsWorld will no longer be available as part of this package beginning October 7, 2010. This channel is being removed from the Bell TV Service"

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •