Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Gemini Awards return to CBC, ET Canada will still produce Red Carpet show.

Due to horrible ratings, Global has decided that they don't want The Gemini Awards, so they will return to CBC.

However Global's Entertainment Tonight Canada will still produce the 30 minute live pre-show which will air in simulcast on Global and CBC on October 28th.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 06-17-2007 at 05:06 PM.

The problem with the Geminis is that so few people have actually seen the movies nominated that no one really cares who wins, save of course for those involved in the films themselves. Unfortunately this situation is not likely to change until someone figures out a way of promoting Canadian films more.

And nobody watches the Canadian TV shows either.

Really I don't blame people for not watching, I also don't blame the Canadian networks for not producing many Canadian shows. The shows just are not as good as the american shows. Besides, it's not like there is no Canadian talent. There are TONS of Canadian writers & actors on american shows. Also a lot of american shows are filmed in Canada! So what if it's produced by an american network, it still has Canadian talent!

I think it's best that the Geminis go back to the CBC, it seems as tho it belongs there. First time I heard the Geminis were going to Global I was like.. huh? It seemed odd and just not right; Global airing the awards show for the "best" in Canadian television.

But it seems pointless for Global and the CBC to simulcast the ET Canada pre-show tho.

Well both CTV and CBC used to telecast the Grey Cup simultaneously, though admittedly that was due to federal law. By the way the Geminis are only for films. The Junos are for television.
    Yes there are American shows [and movies] filmed in Canada, but those shows do not tell Canadian stories. I guarantee you that no US studio is ever going to make a film about Laura Secord, a name that every Canadian should know.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkerry View Post
    By the way the Geminis are only for films. The Junos are for television.
    No, the Geminis are for television, Junos are for music and the Genies are for film.

I think that the geminis (and genies) belong on Star! and/or Bravo!

The Geminis did belong to Global but apparently its going back to the CBC but the Genies belong to did belong to CHUM (I don't know about now), but it did air on the Citytv, MusiMax, Bravo! and Star!

I stand corrected on the various awards, though how I confused the Junos with the others I shall never know. I do however stand by my other comments.