Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Rogers to buy CTVgm?!

Interesting article posted on cartt.ca recently about Rogers possibly looking into buying CTVgm. Actually, its an opinion piece by the owner of the site, he discusses Rogers' recent hiring of Keith Pelley to oversea their broadcasting division. He speculates on why CTVgm would allow Pelley to leave and take a job with a competitor and whether this hiring may be setting the stage on some level for a Rogers buyout of CTVgm?! Right now, Thompson Corp. controls majority share (40%) of CTVgm, so they would have to agree to sell as would the minority shareholders which include Bell!

This would blow everything out of the water if it actually happened- you would wind up having two companies (Shaw & Rogers) controllly pretty much all television channels in this country. If the CRTC allows the Shaw purchase of Canwest then I don't see why they would not approve of Rogers buying CTVgm. As mentioned in the article, *if* this were to happen, Rogers would have to put Citytv & Rogers Sportsnet up for sale since they would not be allow to own two broadcasting networks and two sports services.

Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion and see what others think about whether something like this could actually happen. I for one would hate to see this happen, based on how Rogers operates (witness the current Sportsnet One fiasco), this would be terrible for consumers. They have done a terrible job with Citytv, who knows what they would do with CTV not to mention TSN which is light years ahead of Sportsnet in quality. This consolidation is getting way out of hand and the stupid CRTC is doing nothing to stop it. Just what we need, the Red Devil getting even bigger then it already is. :mad:

Thoughts?!

http://www.cartt.ca/news/PrinterFrie...m?NewsNo=10395

It wouldn't work. First Rogers would have to sell off either Citytv or 'A' (or parts or each), as well as TSN and TSN2. The only way that it would make sense is if they want some of TSN & TSN2's major packages and they would plan on buying the channels, stipping them of most of their programming and selling them again.

Of course it is possible that the CRTC would allow Rogers to own TSN and Sportsnet, but I can't see it since Bell couldn't. That would basically give Rogers rights to every sports event in Canada, which wouldn't be good.

So far hell hasn't frozen over yet. But I could see Rogers dumping Citytv and the Roger Media division if they where planing to go after CTVgm. It no surprise that they need amunation to go after Shaw and Canwest Global for both mobile, web and VOD.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

If this were to happen, I think Shaw would be a likely buyer for Sportsnet, then the big 2 conglomerates would also each have competing sports networks.

I could see mlse make a strong pitch for sportsnet.

While they have previously forced companies to sell conventional TV stations in the same city, is there a rule against owning two sports channels? Aren't TSN and TSN2, Sportsnet and Sportsnet One, two channels each owned by the same company?
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I could see mlse make a strong pitch for sportsnet.
    MLSE has already been approved for their own "mainstream sports" channel that they have not launched (yet), and less than a year from now it would have no different status from Sportsnet or TSN. Why would they (or anyone else for that matter) want to buy another channel when they could just start their own? They already operate three sports channels -- Leafs TV, Raptors NBA TV, and Gol TV (Canada) -- so it's not like they would need to acquire studios, equipment, personnel, etc.
    The only marginal reason I can think of would possibly be to acquire more programming, but as someone already mentioned presumably Rogers would want to keep as much of that as possible. And I'm not sure if MLSE would need or want it, particularly if their intention was to simultaneously shut down one or more of their existing three channels.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 09-02-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    While they have previously forced companies to sell conventional TV stations in the same city, is there a rule against owning two sports channels? Aren't TSN and TSN2, Sportsnet and Sportsnet One, two channels each owned by the same company?
    Antitrust laws would prevent one company from ownership of the dominant sports networks. This is why CTV was forced to sell Sportsnet to Rogers when CTV bought Netstar (TSN).

And I wonder too how CTVgm is getting away with owning both the MTV and Muchmusic Networks that are basically the same?!!! They were never allowed to get away with owning both TSN and Sportsnet!!!

I would be nice too if they could revamp Book Television to another service...there is nothing very interesting about that Network and Barrie's /A\ Programming I feel /A\ has also lost it's edge with encore shows aired earlier on their Main CTV Network and their primetime shows are worser than the now defunct E! Network in Canada!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFLash View Post
    And I wonder too how CTVgm is getting away with owning both the MTV and Muchmusic Networks that are basically the same?!!! They were never allowed to get away with owning both TSN and Sportsnet!!!

I would be nice too if they could revamp Book Television to another service...there is nothing very interesting about that Network and Barrie's /A\ Programming I feel /A\ has also lost it's edge with encore shows aired earlier on their Main CTV Network and their primetime shows are worser than the now defunct E! Network in Canada!!!
    No i would not say the prime time shows are worse they do have a good line up.The differnece with much music and mtv vs sports is tsn and sportsnet are for the most part live events.

MLSE has already been approved for their own "mainstream sports" channel that they have not launched (yet), and less than a year from now it would have no different status from Sportsnet or TSN. Why would they (or anyone else for that matter) want to buy another channel when they could just start their own?
    Very simple reason- why start a channel from scratch when you can buy an existing one that is already on the air, has a subscriber base and widespread carriage?! The fact they applied for a general sports service of their own means nothing, I would wager if Sportsnet was to go on the block they would be among the bidders. Glassbox recently bought Travel + Escape from CTVgm, yet they already have a license for a similar channel. Why do you think they bought an existing channel as opposed to launching their own from scratch- its ready to go, on the air broadcasting and available everywhere that's why!

I seriously hope this deal does not happen, everything Rogers touches turns to crap. Just like Asper-led Canwest destroyed the Alliance channels, so too will Rogers destroy the CTVgm channels if they get their hands on them. This company should be forced to break apart into smaller pieces, not allowed to keep growing like an out of control weed.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFLash View Post
    MTV Canada is licence as a talk channel while MuchMusic is licence as a music channel. That's how they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I seriously hope this deal does not happen, everything Rogers touches turns to crap. Just like Asper-led Canwest destroyed the Alliance channels, so too will Rogers destroy the CTVgm channels if they get their hands on them. This company should be forced to break apart into smaller pieces, not allowed to keep growing like an out of control weed.
    The only reason why Rogers would be after CTV would be for content use their mobile/web platform to compete with Shaw and their soon to be acquired Global network.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Glassbox recently bought Travel + Escape from CTVgm, yet they already have a license for a similar channel. Why do you think they bought an existing channel as opposed to launching their own from scratch- its ready to go, on the air broadcasting and available everywhere that's why!
    Even better, travel+escape is a category 1 digital specialty, meaning the channel is distributed on all digital cable/satellite providers already and no other category 2 specialties can compete against them, per CRTC current regulations.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."