Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Launch

Netflix Launch

Some exciting news netflix will launch sept 22 in canada.

Sweet, I'm looking forward to this if it includes an impressive selection of available streaming content. Well that and they don't double the price for us being Canadian :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Sweet, I'm looking forward to this if it includes an impressive selection of available streaming content. Well that and they don't double the price for us being Canadian :)
    I read elsewhere it'll be $10 CDN. I'm impressed since I was expecting them to gouge tthe exchange rate and not keep it within reason.

I'm just hoping the content will make it a viable TV alternative.

Netflix.ca is live the price per month is $7.99.
    Last edited by ottawasnowdog; 09-22-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Just signed-up. Amazing.

It's probably cheaper here because we don't have the option for physical media.

All signed up and watching S1 of Mad Men. This is great :)

I may be alone but i am very happy with the selection.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I may be alone but i am very happy with the selection.
    You are not alone my friend, they're even offering Running Wilde same day as Fox broadcast. I'm sure as time goes on they'll offer even more.

Oh and just noticed .. they've got SOAP!!!

Oooooooo Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (BBC series), Heroes, Earth2, MST3K, Jeremiah, bunch of classic Doctor Who (Tom Baker FTW!), Highlander, Coupling geesus .. I could almost cancel cable with this stuff :)

You are not alone my friend, they're even offering Running Wilde same day as Fox broadcast. I'm sure as time goes on they'll offer even more.

Oh and just noticed .. they've got SOAP!!!

Oooooooo Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (BBC series), Heroes, Earth2, MST3K, Jeremiah, bunch of classic Doctor Who (Tom Baker FTW!), Highlander, Coupling geesus .. I could almost cancel cable with this stuff :)
    I wounder subscriber base what there looking at.I hope there not expecting millions to sign up in the first month.

I wounder subscriber base what there looking at.I hope there not expecting millions to sign up in the first month.
    Yeah I don't expect millions first month either.

I think I see why they've priced it at $7.99 as well, the selection is a bit lacking overall compared to Netflix US, we can blame the Canadian rights holders for that of course.

I installed the PS3 app and checked it out on the big screen. The good news is that HD and DD5.1 is available using that, so things like Mad Men, Heroes and some other stuff is available in those formats.

You can also install the iPhone/iPad app from the iTunes store and watch it that way. A nice bonus.

They'll need to add more to entice people to keep a subscription though, the movie selection is really lacking as well. While there is a good selection of movies there aren't many big recent movies available.

Worth $8 a month? Yeah I'd say it is but it will need fresh content to make it worth long term subscription. I'd like to see more recent series added, stuff like Battlestar Galactica (new series, they do have the old one), Stargate, more classic sitcoms, etc. for sure.

Elsewhere, ISPs like Rogers, who USE to charge overages of $2.50/GB to maximum a of $25 after you reach your 25GB max/month data, have quietly lowered it to $1/GB to a maxmimum of $25.

Nextflix is competition for eyeballs and your $$$, so they know you'll be using up a lot data, so it's a win for them, yet, also have to play nice.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Saw this elsewhere

My husband works at Netflix and I have a few things to say.
    As people have stated, licensing is hard to obtain for movies and although their selection of downloadable movies is currently limited, it will grow. They really do want people to stream movies so they are willing to take suggestions on how to make their service better.
    As far as the US service, there are movies in constant rotation, sometimes the movies expire and sometimes they are renewed. You probably aren't going to see as many new movie releases straight to streaming but that's because of greedy movie companies.
    Canada, hold in there. The streaming will get better as long as people use it. They're doing their best to expand and trust me, they want to make money ;).
    Netflix is hands down the best company my husband has worked for and I really believe that they care about their customers.
    Netflix US has a deal with Starz as well which provides them with movies and series. They might want to approach SuperChannel and see if they can work a deal out for something similar. I'd suggest TMN/MC but that would just split the country up which isn't ideal for customers, if they could only manage a deal with TMN for example it would once again leave western Canadians high and dry.

IF we get new content added fairly regularly then Netflix Canada is a good deal, if 12 months from now we're sitting with the same stuff they launched with, well then they're going to be dropping subscribers like mad.

I did order the new apple tv today.$150 with tax and shipping it will support netflex plus itunes so for me that a great deal.

I did order the new apple tv today.$150 with tax and shipping it will support netflex plus itunes so for me that a great deal.
    I'd be more inclined to use iTunes if it had a monthly streaming fee option, as it is even at $0.99 an episode I consider that too pricey since a full season at that price you'd be better off purchasing the DVD set and have better picture quality and a hard copy of the media. With iTunes if your hard drive craters and you don't have a backup you've lost it all because you can't redownload what you've purchased, other than the apps for the iPhone/iPad/Touch.

That being said, I think you can stream from a media server to AppleTV so that makes it a bit more enticing, we kind of need such a device for our main floor living room TV since the PS3/Xbox/Wii all live downstairs in the theatre room and those all provide the option for streaming stuff from Netflix or a media server on one of the computers.

Rumour has it that the Canadian version will have most of what the US version has TV series wise (probably not movie wise due to the Starz deal), apparently they're working on it and the delay is due to our different ratings system.

I have noticed new stuff added since I signed on this morning.

Rumour has it that the Canadian version will have most of what the US version has TV series wise (probably not movie wise due to the Starz deal), apparently they're working on it and the delay is due to our different ratings system.

I have noticed new stuff added since I signed on this morning.
    Where did you hear that.

Where did you hear that.
    One of the posters on reddit.com had called Netflix support and asked about the discrepancy between the US and Canadian version. They were told that there was a delay adding stuff due to them switching the content to the Canadian rating system.

They're definitely still adding content though because I've been seeing stuff that wasn't there early on today. Now I'm still a bit skeptical about Weeds, Dexter, etc. myself which is available for streaming on the US site.

At the same time though they are giving us stuff that also airs on domestic broadcasters, so that gives us some hope here that we'll also get some of the more premium stuff. They do have Dead Like Me and Jeremiah from Showtime so let's hope :)

I actually called the support line and asked about the lack of selection. It turns out that EVERYTHING offered in the US will be playable in Canada as well, except for the mailed stuff obviously.

The reason we're not seeing everything playable right away, is because they are currently re-rating shows using our Canadian ratings system. Should be all there in a few weeks he said.
    Also of note, Mad Men is apparently NOT streamable on Netflix US.
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-22-2010 at 11:34 PM.

^AMC's website is one of the few US sites that doesn't geoblock Canadians from watching full eps and AMC isn't as popular as it is in the US so I'm not suprised their top series is showing up here and not the US. Hopefully FX series like Louie not carried here will arrive too.

Thanks for the updates on how great the service is btw. When Teksavvy finally works out their deal with Ccogeco reselling I'm totally going to pick up a device for this.

Just an update to say that they are definitely still adding content, even more movies added today that were not there yesterday. If you look through the list they had a lot of "NR" stuff yesterday which would definitely indicate they put as much of that up first and are working on the ratings for everything else.

Also they don't have some of the stuff they listed in their press release yesterday, like Mythbusters isn't up yet so we can assume that it is coming.

As the catalog grows I'm really seeing value in this service, they have a great selection of older movies, throw in a bunch of full seasons of TV shows and some really great documentaries .. what more could you ask for at only $8/month? Heck there is more content here than the entire suite of Canwest specialties airs in a year probably :D

Just an update to say that they are definitely still adding content, even more movies added today that were not there yesterday. If you look through the list they had a lot of "NR" stuff yesterday which would definitely indicate they put as much of that up first and are working on the ratings for everything else.

Also they don't have some of the stuff they listed in their press release yesterday, like Mythbusters isn't up yet so we can assume that it is coming.

As the catalog grows I'm really seeing value in this service, they have a great selection of older movies, throw in a bunch of full seasons of TV shows and some really great documentaries .. what more could you ask for at only $8/month? Heck there is more content here than the entire suite of Canwest specialties airs in a year probably :D
    Well according to some posts on the netflix blog and cbc you should get every new release and every tv show.