Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Launch

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Well according to some posts on the netflix blog and cbc you should get every new release and every tv show.
    I think a lot of people are expecting a bit too much for $8/month. There is a lot of whining in those comments for sure. I mean seriously, do people really believe the studios are going to license new releases for Netflix streaming, essentially killing the DVD/BluRay sales channels, killing PPV/VOD windows, killing premium channels, etc.?

As best I would expect to see content on Netflix appearing after the premium TV airing window is done. The US version gets a bit more thanks to the Starz deal, so they do get to stream more recent stuff like the new Star Trek movie. In Canada that is currently on TMN/MC and they definitely won't want the rug pulled out from under them on that one.

For sure Netflix could carry more back catalog TV series and stuff but overall it isn't that bad a selection IMO and there is lots to see, including many movies I probably wouldn't bother renting or have never heard of. Not all of it is B movies either, lots of award winners in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    I think a lot of people are expecting a bit too much for $8/month. There is a lot of whining in those comments for sure. I mean seriously, do people really believe the studios are going to license new releases for Netflix streaming, essentially killing the DVD/BluRay sales channels, killing PPV/VOD windows, killing premium channels, etc.?

As best I would expect to see content on Netflix appearing after the premium TV airing window is done. The US version gets a bit more thanks to the Starz deal, so they do get to stream more recent stuff like the new Star Trek movie. In Canada that is currently on TMN/MC and they definitely won't want the rug pulled out from under them on that one.

For sure Netflix could carry more back catalog TV series and stuff but overall it isn't that bad a selection IMO and there is lots to see, including many movies I probably wouldn't bother renting or have never heard of. Not all of it is B movies either, lots of award winners in there.
    What ever netflix does everyone won't be happy.They offer all new releases for $20-30 a month alot would stay away just on the cost factor.They offer a good value deal $7.99 and some complain because there are no new releases.However i do think netflix has a much greater chance of success offering a cheap deal then a one that costs a fair bit.

Exactly, to put the deal in perspective …. they have Heroes season 1-4 available for streaming (in HD and DD5.1) .. the entire run of the series … now price those out at Future Shop or Amazon.ca.

Future Shop - S1 $49.99, S2 $34.99, S3 $49.99, S4 $49.99

Amazon.ca - S1 $39.99, S2 $31.83, S3 $46.83, S4 $44.09 (S1-3 box $79.99)

So, for the price of buying just about 1/2 the Heroes series you can get a full year of Netflix Canada and enjoy all the other content they have available while you're at it. Even when Heroes drops to $24.99 for the seasons you're still paying less than that for a full year of Netflix, and over time they'll have added more content.

Or you can just watch Heroes on HDNet since they're airing it daily now, but then you can't pick and choose which episode you want to watch, so unless you watch it from the start on HDNet you won't have it in proper order of airing.

For me I think this is a great feature, I can watch each episode in order on my schedule, commercial free.

This type of service is great, it is where things are going and having this type of service available will essentially force other avenues to adapt as well. Instead of paying $0.99 or more for each episode hopefully we'll start seeing VOD packages where you instead pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to back catalog material.

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching BBC's version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as well. Also looking forward to watching the Tom Baker Doctor Who stuff they have available. I own Coupling on DVD already but for those of you who haven't seen that, check it out, it is a brilliant UK series. I'm also going to catch Mad Men since I never watched any of that on AMC. Then there are tons of movies I want to watch, some I've seen and others I haven't but definitely will with instant access to them at my finger tips.
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-23-2010 at 04:20 PM.

I think overall the majority are happy atleast thats the feeling i am getting.For a service that is 2 days old to have already a very solid selection is rare for canada.I aslo did check agin and they have added a ton of new content today movies and tv as with tv there are alot of complete season or close to it now that is impressive.

What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice

THR: The knock on Netflix is you offer mostly library content. Are you looking for more Canadian subscription revenue before you pay out for newer content?

Hastings: Yes and no. In the States, it's mostly older content also on streaming, and it's been wildly successful. And where we add unique value, a new option, is making the great TV shows and the great movies from around the world available. When we just do the new hot show that's already on TV, and anybody can get it there, there's less added value for us. And we're not trying to be the only option that Canadians use. We're trying to be one more supplemental option, so Canadians will watch some over-the-air TV, have cable or IPTV, and rent or buy DVDs.

Does anyone know if the nbc programs will be comming to canada.

Can someone tell me why my movie keeps cutting out and going back to buffering trying to watch a movie and evry ten to fifteen minutes the movie pauses and I have to sit for ten to fifteen minutes while it rebuffers

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Does anyone know if the nbc programs will be comming to canada.
    Unknown at this point since they just announced the deal with NBC Universal today. I'm hopeful since having access to all 35 years worth of SNL will be freaking sweet. With Heroes and Monk being up there it's obvious NBC Universal is able to license stuff to them for Canada, so hopefully they cut the deal for US/Canada streaming for the rest of the stuff. Oh and it would then include Battlestar Galactica :D

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Reynolds View Post
    Can someone tell me why my movie keeps cutting out and going back to buffering trying to watch a movie and evry ten to fifteen minutes the movie pauses and I have to sit for ten to fifteen minutes while it rebuffers
    This sounds like a bandwidth issue, what speed broadband are you using? I'm on Shaw Extreme in Calgary (15mbit down) and I'm able to stream almost instantly without re-buffering during a show .. including watching HD content on the PS3.

I think the problem people have is that they don't really have the most popular shows and movies. Almost all of the shows they have can be found online for free on other broadcaster websites or are already cancelled such as Heroes. If you're happy with the content though then it's certainly a good value.

Another issue is of course bandwidth, In a test by The Canadian Press, while watching the Lars von Trier film “Antichrist” in high definition downloaded almost 2.9 gigabytes of data for the 108-minute film. If users exceed download limits, they could face a fee at the end of the month*. so if you were to say watch an entire season of Heroes, you would probably go over your monthly limit and end up paying a fee from your ISP.

*source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/netflix-apologizes-for-using-actors-to-meet-press-at-canadian-launch/article1718924/

There is a good selection and it should appeal to a fair amount of people.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Another issue is of course bandwidth, In a test by The Canadian Press, while watching the Lars von Trier film “Antichrist” in high definition downloaded almost 2.9 gigabytes of data for the 108-minute film. If users exceed download limits, they could face a fee at the end of the month*. so if you were to say watch an entire season of Heroes, you would probably go over your monthly limit and end up paying a fee from your ISP.
    ]
    Which is why I recommended in my review that those interested in streaming content talk with their wallets and move to an ISP that doesn't deliberately cripple their ability to use it. IMO Roger's cut their caps on purpose when Netflix first announced their intention to launch in Canada. They are scared of what online streaming could do to their other revenue streams (cable and broadcast).

As for content on Netflix Canada, yes you are correct that it does not have the most popular current shows available, but again I've pointed out that this is not the intention of Netflix, the fact is they won't have those available in the near term due to licensing of the content which is largely tied up by the broadcasters. But, lets wait and see if todays NBC Universal deal also covers Canada, then things change a bit when we get back seasons on Netflix, that will be a big move.

Still, for $7.99 per month, which interestingly enough is around the same price you pay for a digital package with a BDU, you're getting FAR more content than the channels you'd get in that package. Even just the kids content will entice many parents to sign up, they have a lot of material that could keep a pre-schooler occupied for days on end.

Netflix are also not looking at the short term here, they are looking more towards the long term as more and more hardware manufacturers include Netflix support right out of the box, including right on the TV set with no external STB or console required.
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-24-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Which is why I recommended in my review that those interested in streaming content talk with their wallets and move to an ISP that doesn't deliberately cripple their ability to use it. IMO Roger's cut their caps on purpose when Netflix first announced their intention to launch in Canada. They are scared of what online streaming could do to their other revenue streams (cable and broadcast).

As for content on Netflix Canada, yes you are correct that it does not have the most popular current shows available, but again I've pointed out that this is not the intention of Netflix, the fact is they won't have those available in the near term due to licensing of the content which is largely tied up by the broadcasters. But, lets wait and see if todays NBC Universal deal also covers Canada, then things change a bit when we get back seasons on Netflix, that will be a big move.

Still, for $7.99 per month, which interestingly enough is around the same price you pay for a digital package with a BDU, you're getting more content than the channels you'd get in that package. Even just the kids content will entice many parents to sign up, they have a lot of material that could keep a pre-schooler occupied for days on end.

Netflix are also not looking at the short term here, they are looking more towards the long term as more and more hardware manufacturers include Netflix support right out of the box, including right on the TV set with no external STB or console required.
    The interview the ceo gave holleywood reporter from my understanding is there not looking putting a number on how many subscribers they want or a profit they want to get the word out.I have said this before $7.99 is a good deal and i am sure people will like it sure it may take time nothing is instant.

As you may have heard Netflix has cut a deal with NBC Universal for streaming content, including all 35 years of the SNL back catalog. This deal is reportedly worth around $1 billion.

You know what, this could be good for us in Canada, if Netflix spent that much there is a good chance they said "for that money you can throw in Canada rights too please". So there could be a good chance we're going to get that stuff, especially considering we already have NBC Universal material (Heroes and Monk) at launch. The deal reportedly includes The Office, Psych, SyFy stuff (think Battlestar Galactica!), etc.

Honestly, there is very little chance that CTV and Canwest could outbid Netflix on a lot of this material, there is no way they'd pay $100 million to get it while obviously Netflix just might if they're willing to go $1 billion for the US service. Netflix US has over 15million subscibers.

This would be a great coup if they managed to pull off getting NBC Universal to throw in the rights for US and Canada.

All this negative chatter about Netflix is first or second hand astroturfing from the BDUs IMO.

They know they finally have legal competition they can't kill like they did with grey market Dish/Direct TV. Bandwifth, content, all this stuff will work itself over time and Netflix has proven to be very astute at running their business.

They know we're underserviced, they know customers are being played as pawns by the ISPs with bandwidth and that soner or later the business model the Canadian media co's have been using to stifle competition will collapse.

Considering that Netflix has to play nice with the NBCU's in America I could even see a Netflix "Prime" premium service starting at some point carrying first run content in Canada and not America - after all here Americians just resell content to a third party company so, if Netflix makes it worth it for them, why not just sell to them?

Exactly Gord, the fact is that Netflix is a bigger fish than they know how to handle. Netflix.ca is still a US company, they don't have any Canadian offices, they don't have to play by Canadian rules, beyond getting the contractual ability to stream the content into Canada which they have to deal with US corporations for. And they have money to throw around, more money than domestic broadcasters would be willing to throw at this "problem" they have.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the NBCU deal includes Canadian license agreements, why not, does NBCU think that a Canadian streamer is going to come along and offer them huge money as well? Not likely, there is none who come close right now, zip.ca isn't going to do it. Canwest certainly isn't going to offer up $100 million for the streaming rights to all that back catalog, maybe Bell, Shaw, Rogers, etc. could band together for the VOD rights, but really, is it worth that much to them?

I've seen lots of people trying to blame the CRTC for the poor selection at Netflix launch but in fact we should thank the CRTC for deciding long ago that they would not regulate online content, leaving it as the wild west and leaving the door open for foreign companies to offer services to Canadians if they choose to do so. I think the CRTC simply knew that trying to regulate the internet would be pretty much like trying to herd cats.

Netflix have their foot in the door, they'll show US companies that you don't have to deal with middlemen to access the Canadian marketplace. Just think of the possibilities here, channels that might not have programming that sells to domestic broadcasters might just use online delivery to get their content delivered, heck they could partner with Netflix to deliver it, it likely wouldn't be hard for Netflix to add live TV streaming to their lineup for Canada.

So yeah, it would certainly be interesting if the NBCU deal includes Canada. Not a lot the broadcasters can do about it, sure they could whine to the CRTC, good luck with that one .. or of course they could just say "that's it, we're not buying NBCU programming any more" .. like that would happen though.

VOD and online streaming is the future for a lot of media delivery, this is only the beginning really. Netflix knows that, they'll cut the deals and make it happen. Meanwhile the traditional broadcasters who don't really own much content of their own are going to be scrambling.

Now, let's see how long it takes for Amazon to launch something streaming for Canada :)
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-26-2010 at 02:02 AM.

I am starting to question is some of these people complaining are truley legit.Or is there some how connected to other companys be it bdus etc it just seems some of the remarks in someway seem like panic comming from some of these posts.Deep down they know netflix is a threat to canadian tv even with the line up they have now.

Is it really that surprising that not everyone is happy with paying for old movies and past seasons of a few shows? What about all the complaints people make here about the programming selection on Canadian channels? Are they astroturfing too?
    Last edited by TVViewer; 02-22-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Is it really that surprising that not everyone is happy with paying for old movies and past seasons of a few shows? What about all the complaints people make here about the programming selection on Canadian channels? Are they astroturfing too?

Netflix isn't a threat to Canadian broadcasters and BDU's, they don't offer the same programming, and they never will (U.S. studios need to keep selling exclusive online & VOD rights to Canadian broadcasters so they will continue to pay millions for conventional broadcast rights) If Netflix is a threat to anything it's video stores, Canadian broadcasters & BDU's have nothing to worry about.
    May not be a true threat but people may look at netflix over renting ondemand.My issue with canadian broadcaster's is people want to watch there content online not just current season but past season.It would be nice if canwest and ctv would put past season of shows such as house/ncis/law and order online.

Netflix isn't a threat to Canadian broadcasters and BDU's, they don't offer the same programming, and they never will (U.S. studios need to keep selling exclusive online & VOD rights to Canadian broadcasters so they will continue to pay millions for conventional broadcast rights) If Netflix is a threat to anything it's video stores, Canadian broadcasters & BDU's have nothing to worry about.
    As I posted above, Netflix is very much a potential threat to BDUs, they could easily add live streams of US channels and pump them into Canada, what are the BDUs going to do? Shut off their existing US channels in retaliation?

Other threats would be Netflix offering a VOD service for new releases, expect Amazon to do that soon too since they already offer it stateside.

And of course the other threat is bidding wars for streaming rights, do you really think the Canadian broadcasters are going to NOT buy US broadcast rights if the streaming rights ended up being sold off separately?

Netflix could also make channels like DejaView redundant by offering up the same shows, in full, on demand. Why bother subscribing to channels that only have one or two seasons at a time when you can get access to all episodes from all seasons instantly, and commercial free?

If you don't see any threat you're not looking hard enough ;)

Near term threat? Not so much, long term .. you bet.
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-26-2010 at 01:35 PM.