Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Launch

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    YES! Selling online rights separately will totally de-value the conventional broadcast rights, which means the broadcasters will either pay way less for them, or not buy them at all. They aren't going to spend millions on something that is no longer profitable.
    IF conventional broadcasters did lose online rights I doubt it would be a big loss for etheir side. Producers can charge viewers directly for their shows online and broadcasters can argue for a lower cost for conventional viewing. Not to metion conventional broadcasters would still have access to sporting shows and time sensitive shows (eg. News, Live Shows, etc).

Even if we ignore the fact that the U.S. studios would lose hundreds of millions of dollars from no longer selling conventional broadcast rights, what makes you think that Netflix would be able to outbid the Cdn nets? If they outbid them to the point where the Cdn nets can't make a profit, how would they be able to make money?
    Wrong again, U.S. studios can still make money off on online viewing not to mention the data gather from user viewings can pull more in that BBM ever could. But you forgot one other group...BDU's, they're starting to compete with online content for web viewers and if U.S. studios start to selling online brodcastings rights separately then they're will be a bidding war for those shows.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

It wouldn't make sense though. What they have now is working just fine. If it didn't make economic sense for the U.S. studios to sell broadcast/online/VOD rights to the same company then they wouldn't be doing it. Things haven't changed for a reason.
    There hasn't been anyone else up to now. You have to remember that most of the current contracts for online content are made for approximately five or ten years, and most of the new players like Netflix Canada, RogersOnDemand Web and Bell Online just started in the past year. So if they wanted out they couldn't as of this moment, at this point its nothing more than a wait and see until something opens up.

You read what I said wrong, if online/conventional rights were sold separately and the cdn nets stopped buying conventional broadcast rights, the U.S. studios would lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Right now they make loads of money from selling broadcast, online, and VOD rights to the Canadian networks, if you start selling them to different parties the price is going to go down, broadcasters aren't going to pay the same price for conventional rights if you can watch the same show online from their competitor.
    When the TV became the medium in the 50's for people source of news, newspaper and radio news just didn't stop because they couldn't compete with a man reading the same news out, but with live pictures, they didn't say "we can't compete with that, lets close shop". They didn't shutdown and netheir will conventional broadcasts.

U.S. producers are not making alot of money right now selling the whole pacakge deal; with Bell, Rogers and Shaw taking over broadcasting they'll only a fraction of the audiences they could.

People want to watch they're favoured shows through the web and on their iPhones, not through conventional TV, but with broadcasts owning all the rights it will make Shaw customers the only ones able to watch Big Brother online and mobile while Bell customers can watch Big Bang Theory online and mobile. So that leaves customers who are with Rogers or Telus for example go through torrents and megavideos to watch shows that they can't get online through there provider and U.S. producers still lose out.

I didn't forget BDU's, BDU's and the broadcasters are the same now, Rogers owns Citytv, Shaw will soon own Global, Bell will soon own CTV. You can't bid against yourself.
    I didn't imply that they'll bid against themselves. What I was arguing was a BDU like Rogers may bid for the online rights to Gray's Anatomy(CTV Show) for Rogers online VOD service, but not for the conventional broadcasting rights.

Much of what you said isn't true

I'm not going to go on and on debating baseless speculation, especially when so much of what you are saying is totally wrong. I just thought I would point out some of the reasons why U.S. studios are unlikely to change the current situation, I guess it was a waste of time.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 09-27-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Much of what you said isn't true.

I'm not going to go on and on debating baseless speculation, I just thought I would point out some of the reasons why U.S. studios are unlikely to change the current situation, I guess it was a waste of time.
    Lost a argument and run off like always...typical

That's baseless speculation, not a real threat.

And what is stopping BDU's from offering new releases in their VOD? Not to mention it would completely go against what the Netflix CEO just said

"“Our focus is providing an incredibly low-cost, high-value option —with a selection of films that are great films from around the world and incredible TV shows — and there's a huge untapped market for that,” “(To offer) the newest new releases, like within a week of DVD (release), that would be extremely challenging at low price points.”
    I am speculating on the future here .. not current. What I'm getting at is that Netflix (and companies like them) have opened to door to competition that the domestic broadcasters are going to have trouble competing with if streaming takes off.

The US networks know that the time of conventional delivery is eventually going to end .. they know that the value for them now is OWNING the programming. The delivery medium will change over time.

YES! Selling online rights separately will totally de-value the conventional broadcast rights, which means the broadcasters will either pay way less for them, or not buy them at all. They aren't going to spend millions on something that is no longer profitable.
    Again, current seasons I would fully expect to remain with the broadcasters. What I'm talking about is older seasons, those are what are going to be bid on. We already know that the broadcasters are NOT getting streaming rights for older seasons of material, why? Well because they aren't streaming them are they?

Even if we ignore the fact that the U.S. studios would lose hundreds of millions of dollars from no longer selling conventional broadcast rights, what makes you think that Netflix would be able to outbid the Cdn nets? If they outbid them to the point where the Cdn nets can't make a profit, how would they be able to make money?
    See above. In the near term streaming rights for current seasons will remain with the broadcaster.

How many classic shows does Netflix have? Zero. Once again more baseless speculation.
    Zero? Well obviously you haven't signed up to check it out yet have you?

Let's see … Soap, Dead Like Me, The Addams Family, Trailer Park Boys, Red Dwarf, Battlestar Galactica (original), Galactica 1980, Man vs. Wild, Mythbusters .. the list goes on .. newer material includes Heroes and Mad Men .. FULL SEASONS.

Lots of this material is currently also licensed for Canadian specialties, not all seasons mind you, but unless you have your head in the sand it is obviously a route that Netflix can take to negate the value of subscribing to retro channels.

You don't have any facts to back up the so called threats though, it's all speculation. The business model they are currently going with isn't to compete with cable, they plan on being a low cost additional option.
    This is their CURRENT business model. I am speculating on where they could take this. Again, this is a back door into Canada and we know from the past that US corporations have at many times wanted access to our market without having to rely on a domestic partner or middleman.

Right now they're starting with this "unlimited viewing" package for $7.99 .. but it is trivial for them to add on VOD of newer releases at a later date and they could undercut traditional delivery methods while doing so, well unless the studios all team up and demand a certain price point, but you realize that is tantamount to illegal right?

Netflix has more customers than all our BDUs combined. As they become more prevalent on hardware (consoles, TVs, media players, BluRay, etc.) it will be easier for people to subscribe.

Again I am certainly speculating here but the fact is they have opened a new door to the consumer that could and likely will finally benefit the consumer rather than the corporate incumbents we currently have. The Netflix CEO even stated that part of the reason they didn't bother with disc delivery in Canada is because he doesn't see a long term business model there, things are going to change over the next 10 years and that is where he is interested in taking the offering.

I'm in total agreement with you that CURRENT seasons will remain with the broadcasters for both streaming and broadcast but it is the back catalogs that they're not going to necessarily control, not without them rolling out their own streaming service to compete with online delivery services. And to do that would require they team up because none of our domestic broadcasters can afford a bidding war with a US corporation.

Right now our broadcasters stream very little back catalog material, yes they have some but not lots. You bet the studios are going to see value in selling the rights to those catalogs, after all, not all consumers are willing to go purchase the DVD sets but there is likely a sizeable market for consumers willing to pay for a monthly package that gives them access to that material. It makes sense, consumers are tired of retro stations that supply a season at a time, in some cases the same season for multiple years with no guarantee they'll get the other seasons at all.

The future is coming, the Canadian corporations need to adapt to it or else. And online the adaptation includes directly competing with US corporations it seems.

And like I said, it would be trivial for Netflix to include live streams of broadcast channels, although they might just opt to carry their programming on-demand too. I wouldn't be surprised to see some US channels that might have wanted access to Canadians take their offering online via Netflix.
    Last edited by Tripster; 09-26-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Sorry I misunderstood your post Tripster, I totally agree that Netflix could eventually pick up past seasons of more popular TV shows. However I don't see that being a major threat to Canadian broadcasters, I see it as a threat to stores that sell DVD's, as that's basically what Netflix is, an online streaming version of a DVD.
    I don't see it as a threat to conventional broadcast because they'll never carry live sports for example (well not in the near term), but yes definitely a threat to the video rentals businesses, like Blockbuster recently announcing bankruptcy which is partially due to Netflix.

Where I do see a threat is to the BDU (and somewhat to specialties) in the long term. I think much of the future of entertainment is in on-demand services like this. Heck even HBO sees Netflix as a serious threat to their business model, going so far as to state they won't allow their content on the service.

The success of DVR devices has shown that consumers want to watch entertainment on their terms and on their schedules, streaming on-demand services just take that to the next level by opening up huge libraries of content for a reasonable monthly fee.

Quick tip for those currently enjoying the free trial, order the Wii disc, they're out of stock and will send it when available (early October), but as a bonus they're extending the free trial by two weeks :)

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I did order the new apple tv today.$150 with tax and shipping it will support netflex plus itunes so for me that a great deal.
    Did you get your AppleTV yet? I just got mine delivered today after its harrowing journey from China via Hong Kong, Alaska, Mississauga ON, Memphis TN and then on to Calgary AB :)

Netflix Canada works out of the box .. I'm quite impressed with this little unit actually. I'll likely never bother using the rental option from iTunes but for online stuff like Netflix, YouTube and Podcasts I can see it getting a lot of usage. The kids were happily watching "Annoying Orange" podcasts on it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Did you get your AppleTV yet? I just got mine delivered today after its harrowing journey from China via Hong Kong, Alaska, Mississauga ON, Memphis TN and then on to Calgary AB :)

Netflix Canada works out of the box .. I'm quite impressed with this little unit actually. I'll likely never bother using the rental option from iTunes but for online stuff like Netflix, YouTube and Podcasts I can see it getting a lot of usage. The kids were happily watching "Annoying Orange" podcasts on it already.
    I just got it today but my issue is i don't have a hdmi cord.So i have to oder yet again from apple.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I just got it today but my issue is i don't have a hdmi cord.So i have to oder yet again from apple.
    Oh, don't buy one from Apple .. www.monoprice.com .. you'll get one there for under $10 .. takes about a week to arrive. Do yourself a favour and order a couple/few (keep it under $20, order wise without shipping cost, to avoid duty at the border)

Some new content added this week to Netflix Canada

SNL - Best of Commercial Parodies, Sports Extra '09, Best of Chris Farley, Weekend Update Thursday, Best of Jimmy Fallon, Presidential Bash 2008, Best of Adam Sandler, Best of Christopher Walken, Best of John Belushi, Best of Dana Carvey, Best of Chris Rock, Best of Dan Aykroyd, Best of Will Ferrell Vol.1&2.

Hopefully a sign we will get the full slate of SNL material :)

Also quite a few movies and documentaries recently added to the collection and more seasons added to TV series, The Last Airbender series now has 3 seasons rather than just season 3 that they had at launch.

New Arrivals in TV this week on Netflix Canada …

Weeds - Seasons 1-2
    Dead Zone - Seasons 1-6
    Manchild (BBC) - Season 1

Also quite a few movies added in the past week or so including, All About Steve, IP Man, Traitor, Jennifer's Body, Miss Conception, The Lottery, Fly me to the Moon and more.
    Last edited by Tripster; 11-03-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    New Arrivals in TV this week on Netflix Canada

Weeds - Seasons 1-2
    Dead Zone - Seasons 1-6
    Manchild (BBC) - Season 1

Also quite a few movies added in the past week or so including, All About Steve, IP Man, Traitor, Jennifer's Body, Miss Conception, The Lottery, Fly me to the Moon and more.

do they have old tv shows?

Quote Originally Posted by julie_rose_valliere View Post
    do they have old tv shows?
    Some, yes

Soap - Seasons 1-4
    'Til Death - Seasons 1-4
    Trailer Park Boys - seasons 1-5
    Coupling (UK) - series 1-4
    The Addams Family - Seasons 1-4
    My Boys - Seasons 1-4
    Fawlty Towers - all 12 episodes
    Little Britain (UK) - series 1-2
    21 Jump Street - seasons 1-5
    The Commish - seasons 1-2
    Hunter - seasons 1-3
    The Beast - season 1
    Silk Stalkings - seasons 1-4
    Fame - seasons 1-2
    Rescue Me - seasons 1-4
    Monk - seasons 1-8
    Heroes - seasons 1-4
    Thirtysomething - seasons 1-4
    Dead Like Me - seasons 1-2
    The L Word - seasons 1-6
    Huff - seasons 1-2
    The Rat Patrol - seasons 1-2
    Battlestar Galactica - Entire series
    Galactica 1980 - complete series
    Dark Shadows - complete series
    Kidnapped - complete series
    Earth 2 - complete series
    Red Dwarf - series 1-8
    Bionic Woman (2008) - entire series
    Jeremiah - season 1-2
    The Greatest American Hero - seasons 1-3
    Highlander - Seasons 1-6
    Primeval - series 1-2
    The Magnificent Seven - seasons 1-2
    The Young Riders - seasons 1-3
    MI 5 - vol 1-4
    Robin Hood (BBC) - series 1-3

That's some of what is available, there is a lot of UK material I didn't list like classic Doctor Who, etc. and a bunch of reality stuff from A&E and TLC, and the kids section has a huge selection for TV shows ranging from Barney to Spongebob, Ren and Stimpy, etc.

And then there's the movie selection, really if someone can't find $7.99 in value in the Netflix collection they simply aren't looking hard enough or they don't really like watching anything other than current materials :)

I would say netflix is the best value right now for $7.99 you can't go wrong at all.I have found the last few weeks there has not been as many complaints as there was when it first started.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Reynolds View Post
    Can someone tell me why my movie keeps cutting out and going back to buffering trying to watch a movie and evry ten to fifteen minutes the movie pauses and I have to sit for ten to fifteen minutes while it rebuffers
    I posted a new thread about this issue, which happened several times to us, but that was using a Wii game to view. What kind of setup do you have?

Quite the addition in the last day or so, some great movies in there and more TV stuff, including Undercover Boss season 1.

I noticed that there was a bunch of stuff in last nights update that also recently started airing on super channel

I wonder if maybe they are starting to work together like how starz has a deal with the U.S version of netflix

Quote Originally Posted by mike10 View Post
    I noticed that there was a bunch of stuff in last nights update that also recently started airing on super channel

I wonder if maybe they are starting to work together like how starz has a deal with the U.S version of netflix
    I think it depends on the material. I notice some of the material they're licensing from Alliance who have the distribution rights to a lot of studio stuff, but don't for much of the newer stuff since the rules were relaxed allowing the studios to distribute themselves without a Canadian middleman.

Netflix is likely securing VOD/Streaming rights and SuperChannel might not be securing those rights when it acquires material. Indeed they might get a bit of a discount for not getting those rights and only going for broadcast rights. They can use all the help they can get cost wise.

I imagine that whenever possible Netflix is dealing with the US distributor/studio to acquire the rights for Canada. Like the NBC Universal deal, likely they asked for Canadian rights to be included when they were bargaining, I mean when you're talking a billion dollar deal throwing in Canadian rights just makes sense .. and we're seeing SNL showing up on our service indicating that's how it went down.

If a deal was made with SuperChannel then it would also be with Fox Studios and we'd have streaming of the same movies airing on SuperChannel .. I don't see that happening yet though.

Shaw: Netflix should play by same rules as their competitors

From the Canadian Press:

OTTAWA - Telecom company Shaw Communications is calling on the CRTC to regulate certain aspects of the Internet to protect Canadian broadcasting.

The cable carrier, broadcaster and Internet provider told a Commons heritage committee Thursday that online movie providers Netflix, Hulu and video site Google TV are undermining Canadian broadcasters' ability to pay for domestic content.

Shaw executives said the Calgary-based company, which recently bought Canwest Global, pays about $150 million a year for local content and to support Canadian producers through the Canadian Media Fund.

But Netflix, Hulu, Google TV and others can distribute similar programming without any responsibilities to generate Canadian content, or pay into the fund that supports Canadian producers, actors, writers and directors.

"Why should we be burdened with anchors and costs? The reason Netflix can offer an $8.99 service is because they have no costs other than acquiring the content," said Shaw president Peter Bissonnette.

Bissonnette said the current situation is not only unfair, but also undermines the ability of Canadian broadcasters to finance Canadian programs because the foreign competition is sapping their revenue base.

In only a few short months, downloading of Netflix movies is already consuming about five per cent of Shaw's spectrum space, Bissonnette said.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has previously told the committee it has no intention of regulating the Internet.

Even the Shaw officials admit it would be no easy task. For one thing, Google TV and Netflix are not Canadian broadcasters, so are beyond the reach of the CRTC.
    But Ken Stein, Shaw's vice-president of regulatory affairs, said it could be done by focusing on the distribution channels in Canada.

"We're not saying they shouldn't be in Canada, we're saying they should come here as a company that accepts the rules and conditions of the Canadian system," he said.

-----

I totally agree with this, If Netflix wants to compete against Canadian broadcasters then they should play by the same rules, it it totally unfair that Netflix is allowed to compete with Canadian broadcasters when they don't give anything back to the Canadian broadcasting system. If they want to compete for things like online rights, they should play by the same rules.