Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Rogers to launch Retro channels?!

Rogers has applied for a whole bunch of licenses for Cat. 2 channels, two of which are for classic TV channels. One is called 'Gold' and the other 'Epic TV'. Personally I hope these don't launch as everything Rogers touches, turns to crap- OLN & Citytv being two examples of these suits not knowing how to program a channel) In any event, here are the descriptions for these proposed channels:

Gold

The applicant states that the programming would feature classic programs from the beginnings of television. Programming would explore vintage television and the cultural impact of television on our society by providing a window on television history.
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-715.htm#16

Epic TV

The applicant states that the programming would be devoted to classic television programming.
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-715.htm#17

Well, what could be worse than DejaView and Comedy Gold (aka TV Land) ?
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Do we really need another set of retro channels that will purchase a season or two of old series and rerun the crap out of them? If they wish to do this right and beat the existing retro channels then I suggest they actually purchase ALL seasons of the shows they want to air.

And what about Cancon? We don't need another couple services running Beachcombers and Red Green to fill out quotas. I mean it isn't like CTV will give them Littlest Hobo and Live It Up reruns :)

They aren't just applying for two retro channels, they are applying for 10 new specialty channels, all of them are knockoffs of Canwest's specialty channels. (
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-715.htm)

Clearly the reason behind this is Shaw's purchase of Canwest and Bell's purchase of CTV. Rogers doesn't have much in terms of specialty channels, Shaw and Bell on the other hand are going to soon own a bunch of extremely popular profitable channels. Rogers already has the weakest conventional network, few specialty channels makes them look even worse.

Mind you it would be nice if they could apply to launch some new channels instead of just complete knock-offs of Canwest's channels.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 09-28-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Really at this rate each BDU is going to have their own set of channels or something .. lol .. much like how they dissolved Viewers Choice and went with their own individual PPV suites.

They will all get approved no question about it.When ever a bdu applys for channels 9 times out of 10 the crtc approves them.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    They aren't just applying for two retro channels, they are applying for 10 new specialty channels, all of them are knockoffs of Canwest's specialty channels. (
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-715.htm)

Clearly the reason behind this is Shaw's purchase of Canwest and Bell's purchase of CTV. Rogers doesn't have much in terms of specialty channels, Shaw and Bell on the other hand are going to soon own a bunch of extremely popular profitable channels. Rogers already has the weakest conventional network, few specialty channels makes them look even worse.

Mind you it would be nice if they could apply to launch some new channels instead of just complete knock-offs of Canwest's channels.
    They're not all knock-offs of Canwest's channels, ie, GGBG, Contessa, Puzzle (kind of a knock-off of Dusk, but Canwest is a minority owner, so I wouldn't count that one), and even Luxury Living since Canwest shut down Fine Living awhile ago. They may be knock-offs of other existing channels, but not all of them are Canwest. But then again, what new channels could someone apply for these days that isn't a knock-off of something already on the air, that would actually have a shot of making decent money for a company. Sure, someone could launch something completely new and original, like a channel devoted to student films, but would that actually have a shot of making a profit and if by some chance it actually did, would it really make enough of a profit for it to be worth launching? Probably not. Rogers isn't alone in ripping off specialty channel ideas from other companies.

In the end though, i doubt we'll see too many of these channels actually launching anyways.
    Last edited by musimax; 09-28-2010 at 03:53 PM.

I don't know about any of you's but I'd love to see more retro Channels being made available for canada myself...I love Old TV Shows and Movies but I guess it's not for me to say whether they will ever be licensed or Launched or not...It's up to the Cable and Satellite Watchdog to decide!!!

Oh, god, please, no.

RTV - Retro Television Network is the way to go. My closest is WXYZ-TV7.2 Detroit, but I don't have HDTV and a very strong antenna to pick it up. Very moot point, since the CRTC would probably never allow it.

I found an affiliate that streams online from the deep South, but they're split with a bunch of other crappy affiliates (American One, Ion, My Family Net), so the RTV part is sporadic.

http://www.myretrotv.com/

I'm with lunarworks of a cap. We got women's channels coming out of the wazoo!
    Last edited by lukebenward; 09-28-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

There should be a moratorium on new channels. Period.

This isn't America. We don't have 300 Million viewers. The viewer base is being spread too thin and the smaller channels are fighting for tiny fragments of an audience. Programming budgets are shoestring, so all they air are endless reruns.

In fact, we'd be much better off if a whole bunch of channels were discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    There should be a moratorium on new channels. Period.

This isn't America. We don't have 300 Million viewers. The viewer base is being spread too thin and the smaller channels are fighting for tiny fragments of an audience. Programming budgets are shoestring, so all they air are endless reruns.

In fact, we'd be much better off if a whole bunch of channels were discontinued.
    Take population out of it some time s that is not a factor.You could have a large population but not many on watching tv while you could have a small population that have alot that watch tv.Its hard to say we should get rid of channels when so manya re doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    Take population out of it some time s that is not a factor.You could have a large population but not many on watching tv while you could have a small population that have alot that watch tv.Its hard to say we should get rid of channels when so manya re doing very well.
    It is a factor. Not enough eyeballs = not enough advertising dollars to buy programming. (This place is full of complains about endless reruns on specialty channels.) Plus, Americans are legendary couch potatoes that probably watch more TV than us anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarworks View Post
    It is a factor. Not enough eyeballs = not enough advertising dollars to buy programming. (This place is full of complains about endless reruns on specialty channels.) Plus, Americans are legendary couch potatoes that probably watch more TV than us anyway.
    Then why is tv in the states in trouble while tv in canada is thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Really at this rate each BDU is going to have their own set of channels or something .. lol .. much like how they dissolved Viewers Choice and went with their own individual PPV suites.
    Interesting point you bring up, with BDU's buying up all the broadcasters, they can now apply and launch any channel they want since they will control both the content side and the distribution side of things. So in this case, its possible Rogers could actually launch these channels since they own a cable company- heck they might even become 'Rogers exclusives'! ;)

Seriously though, I don't think there is a need for anymore specialty channels, there's enough as is IMO. What is needed is 'better quality' channels not 500 crappy channels that essentially all air the same stuff, which is what you have now. Here's hoping Netflix takes off and adds more classic TV content to their database, I think more and more will drop cable & satellite in favour of something like this that let's you watch whatever you want and doesn't force other crap on you in order to get what you want. Take a hint Rogers, Bell, etc, your model of forcing packages and channels (i.e. basic package) is OUTDATED and is dying a slow death. People want to watch and pay for ONLY the content they are interested in and technology is now making this possible. This is most likely why Shaw & Bell are buying broadcasters, distribution is a business on the decline, content is what will make you money nowdays.

I don't know about any of you's but I'd love to see more retro Channels being made available for canada myself
    No offense, but why?! Look at what we get now- 2 crappy channels that air a handful of shows and do not even air ALL the episodes of those shows. Do you want more of the same because that is all your going to get from these conglomerates. Frankly I am surprised Rogers has applied for classic TV channels, I thought there's no money to be made over airing reruns of old shows?!

This seems in sync with Keith Pelley taking over Rogers Media. I wounder if Rogers is looking at bulking up the media division with specialty channels like Bell did with CTV in the early 2000s.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    This seems in sync with Keith Pelley taking over Rogers Media. I wounder if Rogers is looking at bulking up the media division with specialty channels like Bell did with CTV in the early 2000s.
    I think thats all but a given thats there plans.To apply for 10 channels as is said no question they will be approved i guess the question is when would they launch them.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I think thats all but a given thats there plans.To apply for 10 channels as is said no question they will be approved i guess the question is when would they launch them.
    I think they'll launch them. However the question is what would they air on them to make people signup? There isn't enough syndicated programming to fill all ten channels or new import programming that CTV or Canwest hasn't already scooped up. A wild idea would be original programming, does seem far fetched, but the same could have been said on Bell buying CTV again a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    In the end though, i doubt we'll see too many of these channels actually launching anyways.
    Actually, the CRTC intends to change the rules, and you can read in a recent Broadcasting Notice of Consultation that the CRTC "will only be prepared to consider five (5) Category B applications from one applicant at any given time. Further, the Commission will expect an applicant to demonstrate that the proposed Category B services are distinct from each other. Applications that do not meet these conditions will be returned."

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-621.htm , scroll to #6.

The proposition hasn't been decided yet, so Rogers is safe for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    However the question is what would they air on them to make people signup? There isn't enough syndicated programming to fill all ten channels or new import programming that CTV or Canwest hasn't already scooped up.
    Unfortunately, we are so used to have low-quality specialties reaching a wide audience that we tend to forget that real specialties do exist.

For example,
    - Stornoway's bpm:tv could have put videoflow all day all night, but opted to produce their own shows and buy rights of programs from the UK and Australia that we never saw here.
    - Channel Zero's Silver Screen Classics is dedicated to old movies. They don't fill up their schedule with Whatever Happened To or classic episodes of ER. They have old movies and old short movies.
    - Glassbox's AuxTV and BiteTV have a concept that is different from what MuchMTV can offer.
    - A few years ago, The Fight Network used to have extreme wrestling (bloody, hurted, knocked down but still in progress) and foreign fighting shows. Their programming is now too basic due to financial problems...

So, if Rogers can offer real specialties with real content, I'm all for it. We don't need so many specialties repeating the same programming as their sister channels.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 09-29-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post

Unfortunately, we are so used to have low-quality specialties reaching a wide audience that we tend to forget that real specialties do exist.

So, if Rogers can offer real specialties with real content, I'm all for it. We don't need so many specialties repeating the same programming as their sister channels.
    In Rogers defence its not easy to create scripted programming, so if they do create original programming for five out of ten of these channels it would be a big gamble.

Are these gonna be free on Basic Cable or Digital Cable?
    I really hope Basic Cable because there is no rerun sitcom
    channel at night anymore and which would be good for basic
    cable to have something like that similar when they gave us
    TCM&AMC.