Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    100

    TVTropolis, Sucks now!

    I am disapointed witih TVTropolis because they have been focusing on more
    reality shows then sitcoms in the night time line up, there is no good feel to
    the channel any more it just feels like any other Canadian channel at night
    that isn't a specialty channel like Degaview&Comedy Gold. Why don't they just
    rename it to Reality Canada and make a new sitcom channel that focuses on the
    90's and 00's but this mix sh*t isn't working anymore.
    and
    This fall season is the worst it's ever been for reruns by the way!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by isrs4life View Post
    I am disapointed witih TVTropolis because they have been focusing on more
    reality shows then sitcoms in the night time line up, there is no good feel to
    the channel any more it just feels like any other Canadian channel at night
    that isn't a specialty channel like Degaview&Comedy Gold. Why don't they just
    rename it to Reality Canada and make a new sitcom channel that focuses on the
    90's and 00's but this mix sh*t isn't working anymore.
    and
    This fall season is the worst it's ever been for reruns by the way!
    No this fall is the worst in fact its one of the best in a long time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    in fact its one of the best in a long time.
    See, what some people hate, others love.

    When TVtropolis added reality programming last January, ratings went way up in all key demographics. In fact the top 9 most watched shows on TVtropolis last Winter/Spring were all reality shows.

    They haven't completely given up on comedies, they just have more reality programming than last fall, and that's because when they added reality programming last January the ratings went up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    They haven't completely given up on comedies, they just have more reality programming than last fall, and that's because when they added reality programming last January the ratings went up.
    If that's so, WHY DID CANWEST LAUNCHED GLOBAL REALITY CHANNEL last summer ??? Why not just rename TVtropolis?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    If that's so, WHY DID CANWEST LAUNCHED GLOBAL REALITY CHANNEL last summer ??? Why not just rename TVtropolis?
    Because TVtropolis doesn't just air reality programming, they still air comedies. TVtropolis is for hit tv (comedies & unscripted), Global Reality Channel is for reality programming 24/7.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    When TVtropolis added reality programming last January, ratings went way up in all key demographics. In fact the top 9 most watched shows on TVtropolis last Winter/Spring were all reality shows.

    They haven't completely given up on comedies, they just have more reality programming than last fall, and that's because when they added reality programming last January the ratings went up.
    I don't know about you, but I always found that a disturbing trend about viewers and reality programming, and how far producers are willing to go with developing the reality programming.


    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    If that's so, WHY DID CANWEST LAUNCHED GLOBAL REALITY CHANNEL last summer ??? Why not just rename TVtropolis?
    GLOBAL REALITY CHANNEL is 100% own by Canwest, TVtropolis is not.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    100
    I know, but, I prefer sitcoms to be on at night and have them have reality
    during the day.
    Last edited by isrs4life; 09-29-2010 at 06:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    918
    I agree; Canwest has already more then fulfiled the needs of reality TV programming lovers with Global Reality Channel but even before that with Slice; Discovery Health, Food and HGTV.

    The thing that's even more annoying is quite a bit of the programming is from A&E; a channel that is readily available in Canada.

    It also just shows once again that Canwest just panders to the masses with every channel they own. It also doesn't say much about the masses as well. I think it is just disgraceful that the Reality programming genre is as popular as it is. Most of it is absolute trash and just brings out the worst in people.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    323
    If you look at the schedule from when they first rebranded from Prime TV to TVTropolis and compare it what you they have now, you realize it's just a crappy mish-mash of all Canwest channels in one place. 'Buy Me' reruns, seriously?!

    Remember when they had late-'90s shows like 'Just Shoot Me', 'NewsRadio' and 'Ned & Stacy'? It was a mix of "hit TV" from the past 15 years. Dramas like '90210'.

    All you have ot do is use the Wayback Machine to check the schedule form 5 years ago and today and see how far deteriorated this channel has become since Canwest ruined it.

    PS: Rogers has GRC in the VIP package in a plumb under-100's channel range position. Can't get any sweeter than that. Yet we get their crap on TVTropolis.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    The thing that's even more annoying is quite a bit of the programming is from A&E; a channel that is readily available in Canada.
    That's what I find sad about the Canadian channels too, reruns from TLC and A&E are obviously purchased dirt cheap when all they need to say to AETV and TLC is "you've already rerun the crap out of these shows, so can we get them for next to nothing please?" … not to mention you can now also watch those very same shows via Netflix Canada, full seasons of them too! Likely more seasons than Canwest purchases for broadcast that air for a full year straight.

    Meanwhile, there are so many other US cable channels they could pick up content from, how about Fox Reality Channel for example, I know it is now defunct but they did have their own original programming and much of it didn't air here.

    It just always seems that domestic broadcasters choose the cheapest programming they can find always. Yes this is partly because of our smaller market, but come on already. The reason we got our own specialties rather than just importing them wholesale from the US was to give our broadcasters a chance and they've decided to not deliver.

    It's almost like they think to themselves, "if we buy enough stuff from A&E, TLC and Spike we can petition the CRTC to boot them off the dials, or at worst to let us simsub them!" .. meanwhile the poor consumer is left paying for the same content over and over again because it airs on multiple channels.

    I'm just glad that many of these new specialties launching are discretionary and digital only because we don't subscribe to ANY of them, all we have is what is included in the full cable package we have, beyond that we have Movie Central and really if it wasn't for the HBO and SHO series those would get dumped as well.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    The A&E programming airing on TVtropolis is doing great, this Winter/Spring 3 out of the 7 most watched shows on TVtropolis came from A&E. It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet.

    As for FOX Reality Channel, they had VERY LITTLE original programming, and most of the few original series they aired had extremely short seasons (between 8 and 4 episodes)

    American specialty channels rerun their programming like crazy too, they aren't much better than Canadian channels.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet.
    Quote of the day. That should become CanWest's new official slogan. :D

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    and most of the few original series they aired had extremely short seasons (between 8 and 4 episodes)
    So? If it's a reality show and you have a reality channel, they should go well together.
    And, what about *cough* Are You Smarter Than a Canadian 5th Grader? Only 5 episodes and it made the schedule anyways...
    Last edited by InMontreal; 09-29-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    It also doesn't say much about the masses as well. I think it is just disgraceful that the Reality programming genre is as popular as it is. Most of it is absolute trash and just brings out the worst in people.
    Agreed. It's vile and dumbing down our society as well as encouraging people to be manipulate and mean for the sake of it since the "reality" they seen on TV portrays it as the natural thing to do. I don't care for any reality programming but aside from rare exceptions like The Amazing Race (from what I understand) it's virtually all trash.

    This stuff plaging cable is a large part of what killed cable for me and shows the need for us to be able to choose what channels we want to financially support.

    Just because it's popular doesn't mean I need to contribute to it's existance.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    315
    I agree...I wish they'd of stuck with the name Prime instead...It's a shame that Canwest turned a Great Channel like that around and added Crap on it...that and Lonestar as well which became Movietime!!! I miss the Old Lonestar Channel as well that aired Great westerns like Bonanza, Bat Masterson and the Rifleman!!! Shameful eh?!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post
    I agree...I wish they'd of stuck with the name Prime instead...It's a shame that Canwest turned a Great Channel like that around and added Crap on it...that and Lonestar as well which became Movietime!!! I miss the Old Lonestar Channel as well that aired Great westerns like Bonanza, Bat Masterson and the Rifleman!!! Shameful eh?!!!
    lonestar for what ever reason was not doing well ratings wise.I have said this beofore as much as people complain on this site many channels they complain about are the most successful channel.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,741
    Related to this thread: http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showthread.php?t=7773

    And Canwest Global Communications Corp. received its own July 27 missive from the CRTC why TVTropolis, a cable channel in 2004 designated as a cable channel for "adults over 50 years of age, was airing series like "Project Runway Canada" and "Last 10 Pounds Boot Camp."

    The CRTC also wants to know why the Canwest Global website points to 68% of TVTropolis's viewers falling into the 18-49 demo prized by advertisers.

    Executives at Rogers and Canwest Global were not available for comment at press time.
    (...)
    Canadian broadcasters usually breach the CRTC's original licensing obligations when they rebrand cable channels, as CTVglobemedia did with MTV Canada, originally licensed as Talk TV Canada, and TVTropolis, transformed by Canwest Global from an original Prime channel.
    Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b2399528189ebe

    There. If you're going to launch a service aimed for "adults over 50 years of age" and rebrand it a few years later to aim at a younger audience, at least have the initiative to submit a change of licence at the CRTC. Since Prime was CanWest's only analog specialty reaching 5.5 million homes in 2006 (compared to 1 million subscribers in average for their digital specialties), it was much easier to rebrand it, change the programming to 18-49 audiences and attract advertisers, and dump all programming for 50 years old and more. CanWest didn't even know how to attract that older audience other than dumping them old popular shows, just like we dump cartoons to kids, regardless their value.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Ratings for TVtropolis have increased in all demographics, including viewers 50+.

    If viewers 50+ didn't enjoy the programming on TVtropolis, ratings wouldn't be up in that demographic.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Ratings for TVtropolis have increased in all demographics, including viewers 50+.

    If viewers 50+ didn't enjoy the programming on TVtropolis, ratings wouldn't be up in that demographic.
    So, you're telling me that shows like Project Runway Canada, Wipeout, Restaurant Makeover, Family Guy, Friends and That 70's Show target viewers 50+ ?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •