Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Allarco's new channels named SuperChannel

The new pay-tv channels launching this fall from Allarco Ent. will be named... Superchannel!

This October, Allarco Entertainment is launching SuperChannel - Canada's only national premium television network. The new service will offer six exciting channels and a subscription video-on-demand platform.

Specializing in award-winning television from around the world, daily movie premieres and HD programming, SuperChannel is launching with a roster of programs that will give Canadians the viewing experience they've been waiting for.

SuperChannel will break the mould of pay TV in Canada by giving you something new to see every single day.

SuperChannel has exclusive rights to more than 20 new series never before seen on Canadian airwaves. These include some of North America's best shows, such as Side Order of Life, Burn Notice, State of Mind, and the Emmy-nominated mini-series Broken Trail. We'll also showcase award-winning and critically acclaimed television from around the world, such as the hit British comedy series Peep Show, the irreverent Skins, and Sea Patrol from Australia. And we'll proudly push the boundaries of traditional TV with the multi-platform Afterworld designed for TV, mobile and the web (including a gaming feature).

If you're a fan of the hit soap Passions or the dramatic series The Closer, you should also take note: SuperChannel is the exclusive place to catch them in the fall.

We haven't forgotten about the movie lovers, either. We've got programming from major U.S. studios & distributors, and from distributors around the world including Bollywood. That means we'll have a large inventory of first-run movies, with less repeats. In fact, SuperChannel will premiere a new movie every night of the year, including many exclusive Canadian premieres.

Allarco recognizes that television is changing. The quality and amount of high-definition programming available is at an all-time high, and there are now more innovative ways to watch the programs you love.

SuperChannel is equipped for these technologies. With two all-HD channels, Dolby Digital 5.1, and plans to offer both mobile and web-based content, we'll offer the highest quality programming paired with the highest quality technology. That's the SuperChannel value.

http://www.allarcoentertainment.com/
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

Nice programing, we finally know what happened to The Closer's rights in Canada. So they announced 8 shows here, I would like to know the rest of the 20 series mentioned...

As for the name, not impressed. I'm actually surprise they are allowed to use that name, doesn't Astral or Corus owns it, if not I am shocked and surprise that they wouldn't have had a clause that prohibited the use of the name since it was use by them at some point when the branding was First Choice/SuperChannel.

They could have found something much better anyway. It's everything but original.

CanView Guest
    Its not about the name for me but about the content!

I'll be dropping Movie Central in a heartbeat now, to pick up Super Channel.

Its a good thing now, because I bet A LOT of people will do what I am doing (Movie Central in the west is God Awful, TMN in the East is good) in the West, and it will force Corus to improve MC.

Quote Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
    Its not about the name for me but about the content!
    Then what's with wanting to rebrand all these Canadian channels to thier American counterpart then if the name doesn't matter?

Sorry I just had to bring it up, but nevertheless, that topic has been done to death here, so anyways back to the topic at hand here....

I'm surprised they're using the SuperChannel name first of all since it was used before and b/c of that it's not original at all.

It's also nice to see them picking up series from servel different sources and not just affliating itself with one particular channel. There's shows from Lifetime, USA Network, TNT, AMC and more along with British and Austrailian series too. But even so... I don't exactly see it doing amazingly great tho. I don't see it doing better then TMN whatsoever but maybe MC, people in Western Canada seem to be so fet up with MC that it could eventually do better then MC. But that would have to be given time, it won't breakout and topel MC right away of course.

Overall I think it's a solid programming schedule but I think TMN at least will still be in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post

As for the name, not impressed. I'm actually surprise they are allowed to use that name, doesn't Astral or Corus owns it, if not I am shocked and surprise that they wouldn't have had a clause that prohibited the use of the name since it was use by them at some point when the branding was First Choice/SuperChannel.

They could have found something much better anyway. It's everything but original.
    Corus does or did own it... but Allarco went to Corus and wanted to use the name and Corus let them use it. But I don't know if Corus sold the name or brand outright to Allarco or if Corus is just letting them license it from them tho.

All I am sure of is that I will most likely subscribe to this channel as all of the mentioned series are shows I want to see. I will keep TMN for it's HBO and Showtime series.

But I presume that most people will take one or the other. I am wondering if Super Channel intends to charge similar subscrition fee than TMN or if they are smart, they could have a lower fee for like a year aas a promotion and get people in. Once they have it, if they like it, more will stay then if they start with a similar or higher fee than TMN/MC.

Also, I know the price for TMN is very different from one provider to the other. While Bell/Rogers (and maybe Shaw/Star Choice, not sure) offers TMN at a higher price (14,95$ and up I think) included in a movie package (with MoviePix and US super stations and On Demand for Rogers), Videotron has it for as low as 9,95$ if taken with some package to stand alone at 11,99$

The pricing and packaging is a major decision for them that will decide a lot of people to join or not.

I hope Starchoice gets these. I'll be :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: if they don't.

Here's the logo for the curious ones...
    can't wait for them to have an actual website instead of the Allarco info page.

I know, you think they would get a better website up by now. They seem pretty unorganised.

They sure are getting alot of press though thanks to them picking up Passions, it was a smart move.

Does anyone know if rogers will carry it.

I'm not sure how they know this, but on savepassions.com they say that Super Channel will first be offered on Bell Express VU.

CanView Guest
    The Super Channel is a "must carry" channel by the CRTC.

It should be available on every digital/satellite provider in the nation.

BUT, that DOES mean launch dates and HD and on demand availability WILL vary per provider.

Probably also means that the 'must carry' is not for all their channels. I'm pretty sure the VOD is not mandatory and like TMN, maybe only 1 channel is mandatory.

Playback has an interview with Super Channel

here - http://www.playbackmag.com/articles/...html?print=yes

Also noticed that the website has been updated - www.superchannel.ca

There doesn't seem to be any indication as to the schedule. The site has some of the movies listed but I can't find anything--not the ExpressVu online guide, the Superchannel website or Zap2it--that have the schedule. All ExpressVu says is that it starts tonight (Friday) at 9pm.

ExpressVu will be running at least one of the SD channels, Superchannel4, free until Nov. 21st but currently have the rest blocked out. I don't know about the two HD channels.

The preview on ExpressVu look like ...

SCSD4, SCHD1, SCHD2

Not sure why they haven't opened up full suite for the SD subscribers, pretty risky not doing so as nobody gets a good peek at the suite offerings and it also looks like the SD4 schedule is only a sampling from the other channels and also doesn't air 24 hour programming but does promos overnight.

I can only guess cost is the factor, opening up the full schedule to 1.8 million subs may be more than they can afford or something. Still, when you are the new guy on the block you should at least open up the full thing for a few days or weeks at startup so the customers get a good feel for the whole offering.

Programming wise, well so far I have watched a couple movies on the HD channels and might check out a couple more during the preview, is there enough there to get me to subscribe? Not yet, I'd like to see more older movies thrown in there since being stuck in the west our movie service doesn't have a HD channel for that (while the east does have MpixHD, lucky buggers!).

Super Channel has a chance to fill some gaps here for us westerners :D

The super channel will luanch on rogers nov 22.This has been confirmed by rogers and the super channel.

Good maybe now they (Super Channel) can move on to smaller cableco like Videotron. I am sure all of they energy was to be on Rogers line-up, by far the biggest distribution available.

I am sure a lot of channel can (and actually) survive with only Rogers as a distributor. I havne't heard of anyone else than Rogers carrying The Pet Channel (!) for example. Not that it's that exiting of a channel, but it's an example of surviving with only Rogers.