Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Half of Mary Tyler Moore run on Comedy Gold

This is unacceptable. Since becoming Comedy Gold, they've begun reairing MTM again, but have now quit mid-series to go back to the beginning.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but when TV Land (Canada) was on its last legs -- I'd estimate about 2 years until August, 2010 -- they purged ALL their classic American sitcoms (well-worn Cancon crap like 'Bizarre' still remained) and were only running hour-long dramas like 'Fantasy Island'.

They use to run MTM 4 or 5 years ago along w/ 'Happy Days', etc. and went full series.

But not here.
    http://www.stopthecut.org/ Help protect male rights, too.

Mid-series? 2 out of 7 seasons! It's awful.

I went to their website and got their email address to complain.

I wonder if other shows will have the same problem?

Yeah 2 out of 7 seasons is a pretty bad. Considering, that's 48 episodes, they air it daily .. they run their entire inventory of the show in 1.5 months. Well, what do they air the rest of the year? Yup, same 48 episodes, and if they feel cheap next year they'll run it again for another 12 months.

This is why I think the retro channels in Canada are NOT worth subscribing to, when it comes to old series run the entire thing, don't cheap out and purchase one or two seasons for shows that ran for 5+ seasons.

What value is there for the consumer here? Very little really, why should consumers subscribe to channels that have at most 2 months of content? Of course the broadcasters don't care, because they've packaged the channels so that you're basically stuck paying for sub-par channels if you want other channels. Kind of like how BellTV used to bundle each package with one of the popular US channels (A&E, TLC, TBS, etc.) because if you want those channels, that actually happen to produce content, you end up having to pay for the Canadian channels as well and you'd need a bunch of packages if you wanted all the US stuff.

And this is where I think a service like Netflix is going to find a market, deliver ALL seasons of the old classics (and new classics), the on-demand market will boom in the next few years and it will be at the expense of these poorly done specialties that fail to deliver most of the time.

Well, well,

Just as I and many others speculated about all along- CTV would only purchase the rights to a few seasons and re-air them over and over again. Just as any digital channel, Comedy Gold looking promising when the channel was first announced but in the end it turns out to be crap just like the rest.

Its sad that there can't be ONE good retro channel but that's the way it goes when corporations are running the show. Imagine if a fan of classic TV where given the reigns and allowed to program the channel as they wished and with a decent budget as well- it would be retro heaven!

TV on DVD is the way to go- all 7 seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show are now available on DVD so you can watch all episodes whenever you want and as many times as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Well, well,

Just as I and many others speculated about all along- CTV would only purchase the rights to a few seasons and re-air them over and over again. Just as any digital channel, Comedy Gold looking promising when the channel was first announced but in the end it turns out to be crap just like the rest.

Its sad that there can't be ONE good retro channel but that's the way it goes when corporations are running the show. Imagine if a fan of classic TV where given the reigns and allowed to program the channel as they wished and with a decent budget as well- it would be retro heaven!

TV on DVD is the way to go- all 7 seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show are now available on DVD so you can watch all episodes whenever you want and as many times as you want.

for those who have money to buy it. sometime some seasons on dvd could cost more than 50$. i wont spend that much on a dvd set....

Quote Originally Posted by julie_rose_valliere View Post
    for those who have money to buy it. sometime some seasons on dvd could cost more than 50$. i wont spend that much on a dvd set....
    Also, many people simply can't justify collecting DVD sets of old shows, heck I've got some I got for xmas that still have the shrink wrap on them. I like the idea of having access to old series runs in their entirety via specialties and/or streaming services since I might only wish to view the series once if I didn't catch it when it was first run.

That's why I find value in Netflix, I saw the first season of Heroes but missed the subsequent seasons due to timing and not being able to catch up on the story line if I missed an episode or two. Now with Netflix I can view those seasons at my leisure.

Specialties who air one or two seasons of old series are worthless though, I mean imagine if they did this with a show like LOST, that would be completely useless, especially if they run the show daily. I could see if they ran each season weekly, run it once, run a repeat of that season then get the next season. But then who wants to wait 5 or 6 years to view an entire series that is no longer in production anyway? People simply lose interest at that point.

Prices have come down for a lot of the older series but I understand what you are saying. Also, as Tripster mentioned, its not really possible to collect all seasons of all shows you like to watch. It sounded as though Lukebenward is a big fan of MTMS which is why I suggested buying the DVD's, that's what I have done for the shows I am a huge fan of like Knight Rider.

The next best option, as Tripster pointed out, is online viewing. So far it does not look as though Netflix has a very big library of shows, most of the retro shows I searched for they don't have. Hopefully over time they acquire the rights to more shows and get the rights to stream ALL seasons.

I am afraid what you see is what you get with the retro TV channels. There is no incentive for them to acquire the rights to all seasons of the shows they air because they don't really gain much by doing so. Thanks to the dumb packaging rules, they still get subscriber revenue even if you don't watch the channel. Also, I would wager that most casual viewers of these channels probably don't even notice that they air the same episodes over and over again- only hardcore fans of these shows know.

Comedy Network staff replied to me that they will be airing Season 3 and beyond starting in December.