Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: HDNET No more ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    242

    HDNET No more ?

    according to Bell TV's EPG . HDNET will no longer be available as of December 7th 2010 ? Is there going to be a rebrand ? or shutting down ?
    Canada lacks in HD. If you agree post this in your signature.

    CANADA NEEDS HD. We have nothing!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    920
    No, Bell is just dropping the channel. Apparently Bell and HDNet could not come to a new carriage agreement and the channel is being removed as a result.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    I'd be pissed, HDNet is one of my favourite HD channels.

    Also, this essentially means TelusTV loses it as well I imagine, since they source from BellTV.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    I'd be pissed, HDNet is one of my favourite HD channels.

    Also, this essentially means TelusTV loses it as well I imagine, since they source from BellTV.
    It makes very little sense for bell to drop it.I would say hdnet is likely one of the most watched channels and dropping i can't see how this will help bell.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    It makes very little sense for bell to drop it.I would say hdnet is likely one of the most watched channels and dropping i can't see how this will help bell.
    I know they have a fairly high cost for the BDU since the channel largely lives on subscription fees, have you see the lack of commercials on that channel .. it's lovely! Bell could easily afford this channel considering they do charge extra for HD already.

    Now if only we could get HDNet Movies to go with it, that would be great, loved that channel when I had US services, lots of great movies with great HD transfers. That and they usually air a Magnolia Pictures "sneak peek" every month before they hit theatres in general release.

    At least the HDNet Canadian feed includes some movies so they do make an effort to fill their schedule with lots of content, and at least the channel has a great slate of originals .. unlike certain other Canadian channels out there :) .. and obviously as they acquire new content they're getting the Canadian rights too seeing as we've got Heroes, Prison Break, Cheers, JAG, and this week they're premiering Get Out! Canada .. and of course the excellent lineup of concerts on Sundays that puts Much to shame.
    Last edited by Tripster; 11-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    I'm actually with Bell on this one, they wanted to put HDNet in its own package instead of forcing everyone who buys HD channels to subscribe to it and HDNet refused to let them do it. This is why the channel is getting pulled. You know how everyone complains about channels surviving off subscriber revenues even though people aren't watching? Well that's what was happening with HDNet, and to top it off HDNet has an expensive subscriber fee.

    If Bell put HDNet in its own package, only people who actually watch HDNet would subscribe to it, this would dramatically reduce the amount of subscriber fees HDNet would get, and if Bell can get away with it then all the other providers would want to do it to, so in the end HDNet would make way less money.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I'm actually with Bell on this one, they wanted to put HDNet in its own package instead of forcing everyone who buys HD channels to subscribe to it and HDNet refused to let them do it. This is why the channel is getting pulled. You know how everyone complains about channels surviving off subscriber revenues even though people aren't watching? Well that's what was happening with HDNet, and to top it off HDNet has an expensive subscriber fee.

    If Bell put HDNet in its own package, only people who actually watch HDNet would subscribe to it, this would dramatically reduce the amount of subscriber fees HDNet would get, and if Bell can get away with it then all the other providers would want to do it to, so in the end HDNet would make way less money.
    So, was Bell planning on reducing the cost of the HD package that HDNet was previously in? Or was their plan to simply repackage the channel on its own and then continue charging customers the same fees as before for the package it previously was placed in?

    Knowing Bell's tendency to up rates on a whim, I doubt they planned on reducing the rate for subscribers once they removed HDNet, instead you'd pay the same for that package and then pay an additional fee for HDNet.

    Bell's still crazy for letting HDNet go as it is one of the few channels outside the sports channels with original programming and a wide variety of it at that. If I were still a Bell sub this would be the last straw for me and I'd drop them for a provider who had HDNet.
    Last edited by Tripster; 11-01-2010 at 05:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    So, was Bell planning on reducing the cost of the HD package that HDNet was previously in? Or was their plan to simply repackage the channel on its own and then continue charging customers the same fees as before for the package it previously was placed in?

    Knowing Bell's tendency to up rates on a whim, I doubt they planned on reducing the rate for subscribers once they removed HDNet, instead you'd pay the same for that package and then pay an additional fee for HDNet.
    Well we will find out when HDNet is gone. The price will either stay the same, go down, or new HD channels will be added. My guess is new HD channels will be added since there are a few popular ones that Bell doesn't carry (like Canada's #2 specialty channel History Television HD, and top 10 digital channel MovieTime HD)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    920
    TVViewer,

    Both of those channels are rumored to be coming to Bell this month as well as HGTV HD.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    I know, that's why I said my guess is that they will be adding new channels.

    I will take HGTV HD, History Television HD, and MovieTime HD over HDNet any day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I know, that's why I said my guess is that they will be adding new channels.

    I will take HGTV HD, History Television HD, and MovieTime HD over HDNet any day.
    It depends what you want for fight fans hdnet provides hands down the best coverge.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    It depends what you want for fight fans hdnet provides hands down the best coverge.
    I know HDNet has its fans, i'm just saying that I would rather have these 3 channels instead of HDNet, and those 3 channels are all top rated.

    If HDNet was pulling in enough viewers, it wouldn't be pulled from Bell. Its not Bell's fault that HDNet will only let them carry it as long as Bell forces everyone to subscribe/pay for it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I know HDNet has its fans, i'm just saying that I would rather have these 3 channels instead of HDNet, and those 3 channels are all top rated.

    If HDNet was pulling in enough viewers, it wouldn't be pulled from Bell. Its not Bell's fault that HDNet will only let them carry it as long as Bell forces everyone to subscribe/pay for it.
    Huh? You yourself should know that packaging isn't just the BDUs doing, all channels are doing this, and by far Bell is one of the best BDUs at packaging things in such a way that subscribers are essentially forced into buying a package when they only might want one channel in the package, so they liberally spread all the "top" channels in a few packages to force subscription to those packages if you want those channels.

    IMO none of those "top 3 channels" you list would entice me to subscribe to them rather than HDNet. They don't even compare quality wise or programming wise. HDNet is a general variety channel which covers several genres offering something for everyone, well except kids shows but then the channels you mention have zero kids shows too.

    So, is this a sign that Bell is about to go unbundling channel packages and offering them standalone instead? Or, could it be more likely that HDNet costs them more (because it offers more quality programming with very limited interruptions) so they're going to pull it, not give customers a lower rate, oh but instead they'll possibly throw in 3 new HD channels, which aren't really new though because they are just simulcasts of the SD versions of the channels, aren't commercial free and likely aren't 24/7 HD either. I know HistoryHD isn't full time HD.

    So, do you really think the BDUs are paying double rates when an existing SD channel launches a HD version? If so, show me some evidence of that if you have it because then the time has come to demand that we be able to unsubscribe from the SD versions rather than letting the broadcasters double dip like that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    920
    I'd have to agree with TVViewer, I'd rather have HistoryHD, MovietimeHD and HGTV HD. I do like HDNet but it would not be a deal breaker for me if my BDU dropped this channel.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    4,755
    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    I will take HGTV HD, History Television HD, and MovieTime HD over HDNet any day.
    Excuse me for a minute...

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA !

    *ahem*. You will take MovieTime over HDNet anytime? SERIOUSLY?

    You'd prefer watching "TV With TV's Jonathan Torrens", "Whatever Happened To...?", "Switch" and "Reel to Real" (aka, the fillers) in SD 5 hours a day over quality HD programming all day long? Oh wait, I forgot about Traders which hasn't been shot in HD... And what about the same repetitive commercial interruptions during movies every 5 minutes?

    MovieTime is no match to HDNet.
    Did I mention the advertisement snipes on History?
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,140
    Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    Excuse me for a minute...

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA !

    *ahem*. You will take MovieTime over HDNet anytime? SERIOUSLY?

    You'd prefer watching "TV With TV's Jonathan Torrens", "Whatever Happened To...?", "Switch" and "Reel to Real" (aka, the fillers) in SD 5 hours a day over quality HD programming all day long? Oh wait, I forgot about Traders which hasn't been shot in HD... And what about the same repetitive commercial interruptions during movies every 5 minutes?

    MovieTime is no match to HDNet.
    Did I mention the advertisement snipes on History?
    Is that really a surprise he'd like all those channels rather than HDNet? They're all Shaw Media channels.... just sayin'.... ;)

    Everyone has their own preferences, but at least with HDNet, you get a lot of original content seen only on HDNet and it's all in HD, unlike the others.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,943
    Why would anyone in their right mind want to watch Movietime HD or any of those crappy movie channels from Shaw Media?! Any hardcore movie fanatic knows you don't watch movies with 10 000 commercials interspersed throughout and parts of the movie cut out for various reasons (be they content related or due to time constraints). The proper way to watch a film is uncut and commercial free- aired in its entirety as it was originally made.

    I am not familiar with HDNet programming but if they air their movies without commercials and uncut then hands down they get my vote over crappy Movietime.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    [quote=Tripster;38145]

    Huh? You yourself should know that packaging isn't just the BDUs doing, all channels are doing this, and by far Bell is one of the best BDUs at packaging things in such a way that subscribers are essentially forced into buying a package when they only might want one channel in the package, so they liberally spread all the "top" channels in a few packages to force subscription to those packages if you want those channels.
    I know how it works, but that doesn't make HDNet's demands okay. Right now if you buy an HD package from Bell, you automatically pay for a very expensive channel.


    IMO none of those "top 3 channels" you list would entice me to subscribe to them rather than HDNet. They don't even compare quality wise or programming wise. HDNet is a general variety channel which covers several genres offering something for everyone, well except kids shows but then the channels you mention have zero kids shows too.
    Okay, but Bell knows how many people are watching HDNet, they wouldn't let HDNet go if they had a large amount of viewers. Obviously HDNet has some viewers and obviously they will be upset but Bell can't please everyone they tried by moving HDNet to it's own package, but HDNet wouldn't let them.


    So, is this a sign that Bell is about to go unbundling channel packages and offering them standalone instead? Or, could it be more likely that HDNet costs them more (because it offers more quality programming with very limited interruptions) so they're going to pull it, not give customers a lower rate, oh but instead they'll possibly throw in 3 new HD channels, which aren't really new though because they are just simulcasts of the SD versions of the channels, aren't commercial free and likely aren't 24/7 HD either. I know HistoryHD isn't full time HD.

    That's what I think the plan was, they want to add new channels but don't want to raise the price, so they instead decided to move one expensive low rated channel to its own package. BTW, accroding to HDNet's schedule on their website, they don't broadcast HD 24/7 either. Those 3 channels likely all aired more all new HD content today than HDNet did.

    So, do you really think the BDUs are paying double rates when an existing SD channel launches a HD version? If so, show me some evidence of that if you have it because then the time has come to demand that we be able to unsubscribe from the SD versions rather than letting the broadcasters double dip like that
    BDU's don't get HD channels for free. They likely aren't paying double since they buy channels in packages. I can't find evidence to show you, you can find evidence that it happens in the U.S., in the past BDU's such as Dish Network have pulled HD simulcasts over disagreements over the price.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 11-02-2010 at 07:16 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,204
    InMontreal, CDNViewer, Musimax, I didn't just say MovieTime HD, I said I would rather have HGTV HD, History Television HD, AND MovieTime HD over HDNet. I stated I would rather have 3 popular HD channels over one extremely expensive one I never watch. Another poster here even agrees with me.

    Does InMontreal even know HDNet's schedule?

    http://www.hd.net/hdnet_schedule.html if Shaw media or CTV owned this channel he would be ripping it apart.

    Anyways, all i'm saying is I don't blame Bell here. HDNet's was making ridiculous carriage and packaging demands. Again, if a CTV or Shaw media channel was making the same demands you would be ripping them apart.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    I am not familiar with HDNet programming but if they air their movies without commercials and uncut then hands down they get my vote over crappy Movietime.
    HDNet movies are aired uncut usually, they do however insert one or two commercial breaks and really most of the time they are just promos and bumpers for HDNet itself rather than true commercials.

    The Canadian feed airs movies when the US feed is airing content they don't have the rights to air in Canada, so we have a slightly different schedule than the US feed. The thing is, instead of just airing filler material from their own library they do actually go out of their way to get movies for the Canadian feed. And because they're taken from HDNet Movies they are usually quite superior quality wise.

    Mondays and Wednesdays are the current movie nights.

    Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    That's what I think the plan was, they want to add new channels but don't want to raise the price, so they instead decided to move one expensive low rated channel to its own package. BTW, accroding to HDNet's schedule on their website, they don't broadcast HD 24/7 either. Those 3 channels likely all aired more all new HD content today than HDNet did.
    HDNet is HD 24/7, hence the name. I'm not sure about Cheers mind you, but they may have done the same thing they did with Hogan's Heroes which was to acquire the 35mm masters if that was how it was shot then do a HD transfer from those. They slightly cropped the 4:3 aspect leaving slight bars on the sides.

    HDNet Canada has a slightly different schedule as well, we don't get Smallville for example since Space likely has the rights for that, but they are acquiring Canadian rights for most old series they get now so our schedules are syncing up more than before.

    www.hdnet.ca for the Canadian schedule.

    As for original programming .. the only channel that might beat them would be HGTV HD, but I still think that HDNet likely beats them on original programming since they have a constant production cycle going on for all their shows. Sunday is concert day and they air more of those than MuchMusic in any given month, usually a new concert premieres weekly and most nights there is some sort of premiere.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •