Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SunTV *may* be added to Videotron

I was browsing the CRTC's website and came across a dedision that would allow Videotron to distribute SunTV on a discretionary digital basis in most of it's area in Quebec.

SunTV airs MyNetworkTV primetime telenovella Desire and Fashion House. Other U.S. import The Game.

More programming information can be found here.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

I think SUN TV may be the one taking over A Channel once CTV takes over CHUM.

A Channel stations will be left with nothing, so some SUN TV shows like Wife Swap and 60 Minutes get ok ratings. Plus Cops & America's Most Wanted were (and still are until the fall) airing on A Channel.

shows like Scrubs & George Lopez would do well on A Channel, not sure how shows like Veronica Mars, Girlfriends, The Game, Desire, and Fashion House will do but it's better than nothing

It's interesting to think who actually will buy the A-Channel stations once they are sold, and the ACCESS channel too. IMO I can really only see a possible 3 maybe 4 canidates that would be interested; those being Quebecor who owns SUN TV already, Corus which already owns 2 CBC affiliates (well 3 if you count CHEX-TV 2), maybe Alliance Atlantis and this could be its break to enter the conventional tv market, or even Rogers possibly.

The thing with Quebecor if it was to buy the A-Channel stations is that either the Barrie or the Toronto station would have to be an independent b/c it would own 2 stations in the same area/market and the CRTC would limit the amount of shared programs that both stations could air, just like they did with Citytv and A-Channel.

And if Rogers was to buy the A-Channels then it would have to sell the Barrie station or one of the OMNI stations it has in Toronto since that would be 3 stations in the same market.

I think SUN will be the ones buying A Channel, if they do then expect them to maybe dump SUN TV and keep the A Channel's because A Channel does MUCH better, or they could just air movies and reruns on SUN TV.

The thing about Corus is that it doesn't really have any american programming to air, A Channel will already be pissed at the loss of all their CHUM shows such as 7th Heaven,ect..

as for Rogers, not only do they have OMNI 1 & ONMI 2 in Toronto but they also have OMNI 10 in Vancouver, plus they don't have enough american programming.

Really I think the A Channel's may be shut down, if not then the owners of SUN will have it.

That's what's so bad about CTV buying CHUM, CTV will now have the rights to all the shows from City TV AND A Channel stations, they will also be able to buy more american shows because they can fill up more on City TV. once CTV owns CHUM you will see way less canadian programming on City TV.

I can't really see the stations being shut down, I mean other then CKNX in Wingham, the stations operate and cover important markets; CKVR covers Barrie and reaches Toronto and other markets, CHRO reaches Ottawa, CFPL reaches London, and the Tri-City area, CHWI covers the very southern part of Ontario (Windsor area), and CIVI covers Victoria and reaches Vancouver.

So the stations reach important markets, so someone who doesn't have stations in these markets already could use them. Idealy I would actually like to see a company such as the Jim Pattison Group who owns three CBC affiliates (in Prince George BC, Kamloops BC, and Medicine Hat AB) buy the stations and over time create a semi-national network. And over time either buy and/or license other stations across the country to create another national network. I know thats very unlikely, but with CanWest owning 2 systems (Global & CH) and Globemedia soon to own two also (CTV & Citytv), we need new blood.
    Last edited by musimax; 08-31-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Interesting to read all this RAMPANT speculation. As someone who works for CHUM, this stuff is so far from the reality I know, it's laughable.

I hope Sun-TV becomes available in Quebec, but as for it acquiring A-Channel, that is such science fiction, this thread should be on Space (another CHUM company, winkwink)!!!

It's fine to guess at what's going to happen, but be careful not to take speculation as reality.

What do you think will happen to the A Channels then?

Ahh, but Gord, unless you have contacts in CHUM corporate you are pretty much going on speculation like the rest of us :)

Right now we just have to wait and see what the CRTC does with the BGM/CHUM merger.

As for potential buyers of any excess stations that need to be dumped, there are still a few players out there. Jim Pattison could expand, NewCap from NL could expand, Corus could decide to get deeper into the OTA market (doubtful).

Heck, maybe we can all pitch in and buy a station and start a retro-tv service :)

Well of course this is all speculation so far, no one knows what exactly will happen with the channels so far until it actually happens, but BGM did say that they are going to sell them and Access, so why not speculate, that is what a forum is for right, to discuss topics?

The thing about Jim Pattison is that where would he get american programming from? right now his Kamloops station, CFJC TV airs the complete CH schedule, so they are a CH station and they have a contract to do so for years.

Well whoever buys the A-Channel stations will have the rights to the shows that A-Channel has the rights to. So for example if Jim Pattison Group was to buy them, then JPG could transfer its A-Channel programs to its other stations in Kamloops, Prince George, and Medicine Hat or those stations will have to buy the rights to those shows. But of course all 3 stations will have to disaffliaite from its respected networks.

But I still think it's unlikely that JPG would buy them, but I think that would be the best scenerio because it's the only other company that already has several stations spread out across the country and therefor create another national network at some point.
    Last edited by musimax; 09-01-2006 at 06:58 PM.

Nope, CHUM owns the rights to all of A Channel's shows, so once A Channel leaves CHUM/CTV they no longer have the rights to any of their shows

A Channel will no longer have the rights to 7th Heaven, Jericho, Primetime Live, Smallville, ect..

That's why it's going to be hard for A Channel once they are sold because they no longer have the rights to any CHUM shows.

unless you have contacts in CHUM corporate you are pretty much going on speculation like the rest of us.

:) Right you are, Tripster. :)

If Suntv buys A-channel I hope Sun tv goes off the air it was a disaster since day one I remember looking at the launch promos for toronto one and thinking the networks not going anywhere. I wonder what they did with the sets and the humongous Toronto one logos after it rebranded to Sun TV. I thought Sun tv was better but i havent watched it for more than hour since it was created.

Admittedly Sun TV is a disaster of a channel in terms of ratings and what not, but they could always re-brand the channel again or do a drastic change to its lineup and improve on the channel and it could get better. I hope they don't shut it down, in the right hands it could be a good channel at some point.

I don't see SUN TV being shut down unless the owner buys the A Channl's.

To be fair, SUN TV get's the left overs all the shows they get they get them real cheap because nobody else wanted them or they were dropped by another network so it's kinda hard for SUN TV to complete with CTV,Global,and CHUM.

I don't mind Sun-TV. They've got Veronica Mars and retro shows such as Family Affair, Leave It To Beaver, Here's Lucy and Chico And The Man. I'm actually watching more Sun-TV than I am TV Land and Deja View (for which I'm paying extra!!!), so I am glad it's on my dial. Granted, I'm not a Lucy fan and Chico and The Man went downhill VERY quickly, but I'm looking forward to seeing them, for nostalgia's sake.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Nope, CHUM owns the rights to all of A Channel's shows, so once A Channel leaves CHUM/CTV they no longer have the rights to any of their shows

A Channel will no longer have the rights to 7th Heaven, Jericho, Primetime Live, Smallville, ect..

That's why it's going to be hard for A Channel once they are sold because they no longer have the rights to any CHUM shows.
    Well I don't know the technacalities of it all, but once A-Channel gets sold, they're not going to be left with a blank slate and it will be a black screen until they pick up some shows, I'm sure CHUM will transfer some of its shows to A-Channel, I would guess its less successful shows that it will dump and give the rights to A-Channel and keep its successful shows for Citytv. So I'm sure A-Channel will have rights to some shows.

I agree with the person who said the A-Channels should be sold to Sun's owners. That would be an exellent start for that company in Broadcasting. A-Channel is based on Americian programing, so is SUN TV, but I sure hope they keep the news. Others just wouldn't work, they don't have enough Americian programing, alot of their stations are affilates with ethier Global/CH, CBC etc.

But why would CHUM give A Channel shows? Remember CTV could care less about A Channel, they really don't care if they are left with nothing.

All the CHUM shows from A Channel will be gone, it will be up to the new owner to provide programming.