Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revised A-Channel Fall Schedule

Details to follow - looks like CTV is already starting!

New Series:
    One Tree Hill (airing Monday – Friday 4:30pm in Ontario, 3:30pm in Victoria, starts Monday Sept 10)

Wheel of Fortune (airing Monday – Friday 7:00pm in Ontario, starts Monday Sept 10). Who Wants to Be a Millionaire will move to 5:30pm

The Starter Wife (airing Mondays at 9pm all A-Channels, starts Monday Sept 10 for 6 weeks only)
    Stars: Debra Messing, Anika Noni Rose, Joe Mantegna, Chris Diamantopoulos, Stephen Moyer
    Molly Kagan seems to have it all. She has a wonderful husband, adorable daughter and lives in Brentwood mansion. With her husband's Hollywood connections as a movie studio executive Molly is able to get the best tables at the hottest restaurants and belongs to the most exclusive clubs. Just before her 10 year anniversary her husband calls to tell her he wants a divorce. The call happens right before her prenup expires and Molly is left on her own without a social life..... or her so-called friends. She picks up and goes to Malibu to make new friends, relies on the few old friends who haven't shunned her and starts her life over.

Don’t Forget the Lyrics (airing Thursday at 9pm simulcast Fox all A-Channels, starts Thursday Sept 6 for 13 weeks only)
    Hosted by Wayne Brady
    Contestants compete for $1 million by selecting songs from a myriad of different genres, decades and artists and singing alongside a karaoke-style video screen where the music stops, the words will disappear and the singer must belt out the correct missing lyric.

Alice I Think (airing Mondays at 8:30 pm on all A-Channels, starts Monday Sept 10)
    Stars: Carly McKillop, Connor Price, Dan Payne
    Fifteen-year-old Alice lives in Smithers, B.C., population 5,124. According to her shrink, she's a "hyper-critical, socially-retarded narcissist with mind-numbingly poor judgment." That's therapy-speak for "she's a weirdo." Based on the wildly popular, critically acclaimed books by Susan Juby, Alice, I Think, a 13-part, half-hour original series, revolves around a very quirky teenager, and her equally unique and dysfunctional family.

Jeff Ltd (airing Tuesdays at 8:00pm all A-Channels, starts Tuesday Sept 11)
    Gemini Award-winning actor Jeff Seymour (The Eleventh Hour) returns as the loveable, smooth-talking, "genius-in-his-own-mind" Jeff Stevens, who chases women and half-baked, get-rich-quick schemes with reckless abandon and whose shell games tend to blow up in his face like trick cigars.

Scrubs(airing Thursdays at 8:00pm in Ontario, at 10:00pm in Victoria, starting Thurs Oct 4) *Note, we will start with repeats until the new season premieres Oct 25
    Stars Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison, Ken Jenkins
    This half-hour comedy focuses on the bizarre experiences of fresh-faced medical intern John "J.D." Dorian (Zach Braff) as he embarks on his healing career in a surreal hospital crammed full of unpredictable staffers and patients – where humor and tragedy can merge paths at any time.

30 Rock (airing Thursdays at 8:30pm simulcast NBC in Ontario, post NBC at 10:30pm in Victoria starting Thurs Oct 4)
    Stars: Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Alec Baldwin, Jane Krakowski
    Liz Lemon, head writer of the sketch comedy show "The Girlie Show", must deal with an arrogant new boss and a crazy new star, all while trying to run a successful TV show without losing her mind.

Next Great American Band (airing Fridays at 8pm simulcast Fox on all A-Channels, starts Friday Oct 19)
    Created by Simon Fuller, the producers of "American Idol" embark on a search to find the next great American music group.

ONTARIO NOTES:

Grand Star moves to Mondays at 8pm Sept 10
    Monk Premiere will now be Monday September 24 at 10pm (Supernanny last day will be Monday Sept 17)
    Bravo Fact moves to Tuesday at 8:30pm Sept 11
    The Collector moves to Thurdays at 10pm starting Sept 10
    Smallville will be pre-released CW starting Oct 3, pending approval from the distributor for a pre-feed
    Fear of Frying starts Monday Sept 24 (along with the other day part changes, see grids)
    America’s Next Top Model premieres the new season Sunday Sept 23 on A-Channels
    Stargate SG-1 moves to Sundays Sept 23
    Canadian Documentaries/Special will air Friday nights at 8pm until Next Great Band starts Oct 19

VICTORIA NOTES:
    Grand Star moves to Mondays at 8pm Sept 10
    Monk Premiere will now be Monday September 24 at 10pm (Supernanny last day will be Monday Sept 17)
    Bravo Fact moves to Tuesday at 8:30pm Sept 11
    The Collector moves to Wednesday at 8pm starting Sept 12
    Fear of Frying starts Monday Sept 24 (along with the other day part changes, see grids)
    America’s Next Top Model premieres the new season Sunday Sept 23 on A-Channels
    Stargate SG-1 moves to Sundays Sept 23
    Canadian Documentaries/Special will air Friday nights at 8pm until Next Great Band starts Oct 19
    Relic Hunter replaces TBA Sundays at 6pm starting Sept 16
    Star Daily moves to 3pm effective Sept 10 (note, these are repeat episodes, first runs are at 7pm daily)
    Last edited by Everfresh; 08-28-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Are those new episodes for Alice, I think and Jeff Ltd.?

I actually like what they're doing, even though One Tree Hill in syndication already is slightly shocking.

Why doesn't CTV Globemedia turn the A-Channel stations into CTV stations, therefore enhancing their CTV coverage across the country.

Canwest could have done that with the CH/E! Stations and just created more local Global affiliates.

I understand they want to create a secondary network, but it doesn't make much sense as you have A-Channel in only some cities and Citytv in other cities... Same thing with Global and CH/E!

What would they do here in Ottawa (and--I think--Victoria), which has BOTH an A-Channel and a CTV affiliate?

Move the station? Besides, isn't A-Channel Ottawa actually licensed to Pembroke?

Not for years! It has been located in the heart of Ottawa's Byward Market (in the shadow on Parlaiment Hill) since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    Why doesn't CTV Globemedia turn the A-Channel stations into CTV stations, therefore enhancing their CTV coverage across the country.

Canwest could have done that with the CH/E! Stations and just created more local Global affiliates.

I understand they want to create a secondary network, but it doesn't make much sense as you have A-Channel in only some cities and Citytv in other cities... Same thing with Global and CH/E!
    This is the second time you suggest this, and like the last time, nobody is going to think this is a good idea. That would be a waste of very precious license, an opportunity to have 2 different network instead of one on the air. This is what CTV wants, not have only one. Everybody in Canada can receive CTV right now, there is no need to enhance their coverage at all and it wouldn't anyway, why add stations when everybody is already getting it. That wouldn't bring more viewers it would just split them between more stations. Adding stations with the same programming and not adding viewers would do only one thing for CTV and that is bringing up the cost of operating yet another station for no benefit at all.

Moving them is NOT an option, a license is given to a geographical area, you cannot move it unless you reapply for a new license to the new place. Don't you understand that CTV did this to get a second network, not to make them copies of what they have.

Why do you insist on suggesting that I am curious...it's not good for CTV or the public. Wouldn't help those loosing money stations in any way since it wouldn't bring new viewers to them, people already have a CTV station they watch in those areas, they wouldn't switch station for no reason just to change and even if they did, that may help the local station abit, but it would take away from the original CTV station, it wouldn't add any viewers to CTV at all...

Not a good idea, sorry.
    Last edited by mtlguy; 09-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlguy View Post
    This is the second time you suggest this, and like the last time, nobody is going to think this is a good idea. That would be a waste of very precious license, an opportunity to have 2 different network instead of one on the air. This is what CTV wants, not have only one. Everybody in Canada can receive CTV right now, there is no need to enhance their coverage at all and it wouldn't anyway, why add stations when everybody is already getting it. That wouldn't bring more viewers it would just split them between more stations. Adding stations with the same programming and not adding viewers would do only one thing for CTV and that is bringing up the cost of operating yet another station for no benefit at all.

Moving them is NOT an option, a license is given to a geographical area, you cannot move it unless you reapply for a new license to the new place. Don't you understand that CTV did this to get a second network, not to make them copies of what they have.

Why do you insist on suggesting that I am curious...it's not good for CTV or the public. Wouldn't help those loosing money stations in any way since it wouldn't bring new viewers to them, people already have a CTV station they watch in those areas, they wouldn't switch station for no reason just to change and even if they did, that may help the local station abit, but it would take away from the original CTV station, it wouldn't add any viewers to CTV at all...

Not a good idea, sorry.
    I have never suggested this before? What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by TVGord View Post
    Not for years! It has been located in the heart of Ottawa's Byward Market (in the shadow on Parlaiment Hill) since 1999.
    Oh ok I understand.

mtlguy is right, it is pointless to make the A Channel's CTV stations

I understand that. I don't know what his problem is...I have never suggested this before, infact that was my first ever post here.

The only thing that I was concerned about is that there will be a network of stations but none of them serve large cities.

They do serve large cities though.

A Channel Victoria serves Vancouver
    CH Vancouver Island serves Vancouver
    CH Red Deer serves Edmonton & Calgary
    A Channel Barrie serves Toronto
    CH Hamilton serves Toronto and most of Ontario
    A Channel stations serve most of Ontario

So even though these stations are based in small cities, you can still view them in the big cities. you can also view CTV and Global in all those small cities

Samantha Who will be airing on A Channel Mondays at 9:30PM starting October 15th in Simulcast with ABC.

What is A-Channel's complete Monday schedule starting October 15th?

8pm "Grand Star" (encores)
    8:30 "Alice, I think" (encores)
    9pm ??
    9:30 "Samantha Who"
    10pm ??
    10:30 ??

I hope that CTVgm will move "Two and a Half Men" to a simcast timeslot , so it can be paired with Samantha Who.
    Last edited by cslusarc; 09-23-2007 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
    What is A-Channel's complete Monday schedule starting October 15th?

9pm ??
    10pm ??
    10:30 ??

I hope that CTVgm will move "Two and a Half Men" to a simcast timeslot , so it can be paired with Samantha Who.
    What is planned so far is as follow:
    9pm According to Jim
    10pm Monk
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

While CHRO is an Ottawa station in practice, officially it is still licensed to Pembroke.

The only place where flipping an A-Channel station to CTV would give the main network any coverage it doesn't already have is in Windsor. And the reason that's not going to happen is the same reason Windsor doesn't already have a CTV transmitter in the first place: Detroit.

I'm sure we'd all love to see a Canadian television industry marked primarily by strong local stations providing local coverage in a lot more markets...but those days are gone now, and they're not coming back.

What CTV should seriously look at doing, however, is getting its coverage in the British Columbia Interior back, perhaps by making a play for the isolated Standard/Astral and/or Pattison stations.

CTV does have coverage in the British Columbia Interior though, mind you it's only on cable and can be removed at anytime. They also can't simulcast.

That being said, CTV Vancouver pretty much ONLY goes after Vancouver viewers, Even though you can view CTV on cable all over BC, they act like it's a Vancouver only station.

Global Vancouver on the other hand is much more BC friendly, Even though they are based in Vancouver and most of their top stories are about Vancouver, they talk ALOT more about the other cities in BC than CTV does.

It's funny because even though CTV Vancouver pretty much only talks about Vancouver, they still get killed by Global BC. CTV doesn't even come close to Global BC in the Vancouver ratings. More people tune into Global BC's Morning & Noon news than they do CTV's 6:00PM Evening News in Vancouver!

Also even though CTV Toronto's 6:00PM newscast is still #1 it's slowly going down in the ratings, Global BC however is still going strong. Global BC's newscasts are by far the most dominate in Canada, and maybe even North America.

That's precisely why I think it would make sense for CTV to put in a bid for the Pattison or Astral stations. Have a Northern BC station in Prince George, an Interior BC station in Kamloops, and you've got yourself 1.5 to 2 million more potential viewers covered under local(ish) service and simsub rights.

And it's not like the stations have much power on their own -- the power in Canadian broadcasting at this point is in large ownership groups that span the country, not in isolated pairs or trios that can't really pony up the cash to buy broadcast rights to much of anything. And we already know that Astral's not all that interested in conventional broadcast television, so they'd probably be happy to get those wallflowers in Terrace and Dawson off their hands.

(Next stop Thunder Bay, baby!)