Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondly, what do you guys think will happen to LeafsTV, GolTV, and NBA TV?
    I think its possible that they may continue broadcasting and its also possible that they may shut them down and merge the content into their existing services. I think GolTV & NBA TV should stay as they offer more than just Raptors & Toronto FC content. On the other hand Rogers did not launch MLB TV but just chose instead to put loads of baseball content on their Sportsnets channels so they could do the same with the NBA programming?! At the end of the day its all about $$, if these channels bring in a substantial amount of subscriber revenue then I can see MLSE keeping them going, even with a watered down schedule as I am sure they will pull some games off them and put them on TSN & Sportsnet.

So will all the games be split 50 / 50 or will they for example put most hockey games on TSN and most basketball games on sportsnet.

Quote Originally Posted by aytononline View Post
    So will all the games be split 50 / 50 or will they for example put most hockey games on TSN and most basketball games on sportsnet.
    By the sounds of it this will be a 50/50 split.

Sort of an interesting tidbit from this CBC article:
    Pelley said that a decision on plans for Leafs TV or Raptors TV would be made down the road.
    I'm not entirely sure what Pelley is meaning here, whether those decisions and plans are referring to keeping or shuttering the stations or if he's referring to programming plans.

Also, Pelley is with Rogers Media, which is and will continue to be a separate entity from MLSE. So, not sure hwo that fits in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Why would that stop them? It happened in New York and Philadelphia and neither league seemed to have a problem with the ownership. MLSE was already a broadcaster and Rogers owns the Jays and has exclusive broadcast rights.
    The difference is your selling a major media property to a group thats basically has a near monopoly of all forms of communications in this country.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The difference is your selling a major media property to a group thats basically has a near monopoly of all forms of communications in this country.
    It's not really a difference. Cablevision and Comcast had just as dominant position in their markets. Why would the leagues care?

It's not really a difference. Cablevision and Comcast had just as dominant position in their markets. Why would the leagues care?
    Because don't also own mobile communication market right now? Which is the hottest market for broadcast media something that the whole point to the purchase of MLSE.

I dunno if you remember, or ever used a smartphone years ago, but I remember about 4-5 years ago paying $50 before tax for a voice and data plan from Telus that had a limit of 10MB data a month with a $5 for each MB over and at the time that was the greatest plan anyone could get.

There is no secret that Bell and Rogers want to go back to those days of high rates, but with new players that isn't going to happen, unless they can keep exclusive content to themselves. With the MLSE purchase they can keep Maple Leafs, Raptors and TFC exclusive on their phones. Sure the app will say "free" but the money making part is in the bandwidth that be eaten up by streaming NHL, NBA games. Then charge people going over their limit or convince them to upgrade their plan. Sure they can leave, but who wants to give up watching the Maple Leafs play on their iPhone while on the train?

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Sort of an interesting tidbit from this CBC article:
    Quote:
    Pelley said that a decision on plans for Leafs TV or Raptors TV would be made down the road.
    In the radio interviews I heard they were also a little vague on what will happen with the three MLSE channels, but the proposed new MLSE Real Sports channel will almost certainly not happen now. Bell and Rogers now have a long-term agreement to equally split the radio and TV rights that MLSE controls (leagues control national rights for a certain percentage of games, on CBC for NHL). But it can't really happen completely until existing TV contracts expire in 2015, and that may also be when the fates of Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada, and Gol TV Canada are decided.

Starting next season the Toronto Sportsnet 590 and TSN 1050 radio stations will each have 41 Leaf games. I assume, with Rogers committed to carrying Blue Jays games, it would seem likely that most Leafs and Raptors games from the start of April, including potential play off games, would have to be on TSN 1050 Radio? With them having to split Leafs games and any Raptors and maybe some Toronto FC games that Sportsnet 590 has been carrying, and presumably Blue Jays games on 590 and Argo games on 1050, they may have to farm out some to other radio stations or just have them as audio webcasts and not on radio. Presumably the Leafs are the first priority in most situations.

TV is a different situation, since they have many channels available to use -- TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet Ontario, Sportsnet One, Sportsnet World, NBA TV, Gol TV, and Leafs TV assuming they are kept in operation, and CFTO, CKVR, or CityTV if they chose to use them, though that seems unlikely apart from NFL, Olympics, World Cup or maybe some NHL if they eventually outbid CBC for national rights.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 12-10-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Because don't also own mobile communication market right now? Which is the hottest market for broadcast media something that the whole point to the purchase of MLSE.

There is no secret that Bell and Rogers want to go back to those days of high rates, but with new players that isn't going to happen, unless they can keep exclusive content to themselves. With the MLSE purchase they can keep Maple Leafs, Raptors and TFC exclusive on their phones. Sure the app will say "free" but the money making part is in the bandwidth that be eaten up by streaming NHL, NBA games. Then charge people going over their limit or convince them to upgrade their plan. Sure they can leave, but who wants to give up watching the Maple Leafs play on their iPhone while on the train?
    That might be their business plan but why would the NHL or NBA want to stop that?

I'm not entirely sure what Pelley is meaning here, whether those decisions and plans are referring to keeping or shuttering the stations or if he's referring to programming plans.
    I'm sure he means that no decisions have been made about MLSE's TV channels. They are a very small part of this billion dollar + deal. Bell and Rogers are focused in on other things.

They are a very small part of this billion dollar + deal. Bell and Rogers are focused in on other things.
    Exactly, as they mentioned in the press conference 50 times, the only thing they care about is Content. The rest (TV channels, real estate & winning championships) are all insignificant to them and thus they could care less about them. The jewel in the crown is the media rights for the various sports teams that MLSE controls.

I think if this deal is approved by the competition bureau, they should add a stipulation (not sure if this is within their jurisdiction or not?!) that Rogers & Bell cannot bid on the games that CBC currently has the rights to when they come up for bidding. They should not be allowed to control everything, sports fans will then be held hostage by these two entities and will have to pay whatever price they demand if they want to watch the games of these teams. Essentially this deal allows Bell & Rogers to establish a cartel of sorts on Sports rights like OPEC does with oil, that is wrong and should not be allowed to happen.

CBC and Global (if they are interested) should fight it out for the Saturday games which would then ensure that these matches stay on an OTA channel instead of becoming exclusive to some sports channel.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Exactly, as they mentioned in the press conference 50 times, the only thing they care about is Content. The rest (TV channels, real estate & winning championships) are all insignificant to them and thus they could care less about them. The jewel in the crown is the media rights for the various sports teams that MLSE controls.

I think if this deal is approved by the competition bureau, they should add a stipulation (not sure if this is within their jurisdiction or not?!) that Rogers & Bell cannot bid on the games that CBC currently has the rights to when they come up for bidding. They should not be allowed to control everything, sports fans will then be held hostage by these two entities and will have to pay whatever price they demand if they want to watch the games of these teams. Essentially this deal allows Bell & Rogers to establish a cartel of sorts on Sports rights like OPEC does with oil, that is wrong and should not be allowed to happen.

CBC and Global (if they are interested) should fight it out for the Saturday games which would then ensure that these matches stay on an OTA channel instead of becoming exclusive to some sports channel.
    While i can understand your point i aslo think it creates issues your more or less going to hand the nhl national rights to cbc with out any compeition which i have a hard time seeing the bureau would agree to besides that if they did the cbc could offer far far below market value say a million and the league would have very little choice but to give them the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    While i can understand your point i aslo think it creates issues your more or less going to hand the nhl national rights to cbc with out any compeition which i have a hard time seeing the bureau would agree to besides that if they did the cbc could offer far far below market value say a million and the league would have very little choice but to give them the rights.
    I did not say to hand the rights over to CBC. I guess you missed my suggestion about Global bidding for the rights as well. I am quite sure Shaw would be interested in picking up these lucrative rights especially since they have been shut out of the sports channel wars now that Bell & Rogers control pretty much all sports related content. They are available across the country and don't really air much of anything on Saturday nights so I don't they they would have a problem fitting the games into their schedule.

If you like I could allow Bell back in the bidding with the stipulation that they games air on CTV NOT TSN. ;)

... games air on CTV NOT TSN. ;)
    I think if Bell outbids CBC next time, that (or maybe even CTV AND TSN) could be a realistic possibility.

I think if this deal is approved by the competition bureau, they should add a stipulation that Rogers & Bell cannot bid on the games that CBC currently has the rights to when they come up for bidding.
    I don't think competition regulators in North America have ever gotten involved in the situation of a broadcaster owning teams. I'd be surprised if they did here because Rogers and Bell will continue to compete with each other on may fronts, including for other NHL rights.

In Europe, regulators have blocked the takeover over of Manchester United by satellite broadcaster Sky and prohibited any single broadcaster from holding all the rights to English Premier League games.

They are a very small part of this billion dollar + deal. Bell and Rogers are focused in on other things.
    Yes, what they really want is the content and yes, the channels are only a minuscule part of the MLSE empire, but they are assets nonetheless and Bell and Rogers are both MAJOR broadcasters in this country and they are the top 2 broadcasters in the sports business, so they will both have a bit more of a vested interest in these channels (as opposed to someone like Telus or Shaw if they had bought them) because they impact their own assets each company owns individually, TSN and Sportsnet and the various other sports channels they both own.

GolTV, Leafs TV, and NBA TV all have valuable content that Rogers or Bell would probably love to have on their own channels and reap the benefits of entirely themselves instead of sharing only a small amount of it with the other and Kilmer Sports. And after spending such a large amount of money on MLSE, why keep going something like Leafs TV which is multi-million dollar loser every single year since it's been in operation. Like any business here, they don't want to be throwing money down the toilet, especially for an asset that in the future will likely not have much value (because they will likely lose all Leafs' regional games) or have any prospects of making money later.

Whether some or all of the channels stay or go, the new owners will certainly look at them at some point and decide what to do with them.
    Last edited by musimax; 12-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I did not say to hand the rights over to CBC. I guess you missed my suggestion about Global bidding for the rights as well. I am quite sure Shaw would be interested in picking up these lucrative rights especially since they have been shut out of the sports channel wars now that Bell & Rogers control pretty much all sports related content. They are available across the country and don't really air much of anything on Saturday nights so I don't they they would have a problem fitting the games into their schedule.

If you like I could allow Bell back in the bidding with the stipulation that they games air on CTV NOT TSN. ;)
    Yes i did see you said Global thats still limiting compeition but that still would be putting a limit on compeition i am not saying there is not issues there is but blocking out 2 networks is not the way to go.

why keep going something like Leafs TV which is multi-million dollar loser every single year since it's been in operation. Like any business here, they don't want to be throwing money down the toilet, especially for an asset that in the future will likely not have much value (because they will likely lose all Leafs' regional games) or have any prospects of making money later.
    Those were paper losses with the majority of their expenses being payments to the Leafs. They might want to continue the channel. It has 1 million subscribers. Although they could lose a lot of them if they shift most or all of the live Leafs games to other channels.

A bit off topic but still relevant to the thread,

Does anyone know why Bell does not distribute TSN as part of their basic package like Rogers does with Sportsnet?! Just curious why Rogers includes in with the basic pack while Bell has decided to distribute in a tier instead?!

A bit off topic but still relevant to the thread,

Does anyone know why Bell does not distribute TSN as part of their basic package like Rogers does with Sportsnet?! Just curious why Rogers includes in with the basic pack while Bell has decided to distribute in a tier instead?!
    Mandatory channel requirements for BDUs where designed at a time when only cable providers existed, so Rogers is required to carry TSN as part of the basic tier and not Bell. Although that may change.