Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think you misunderstood my question?!

Rogers does not carry TSN in the basic, they carry Sportsnet.

What I was asking is why doesn't Bell offer their sports service (TSN) in their basic package but instead choose to offer it in a tier?!

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Rogers does not carry TSN in the basic, they carry Sportsnet.
    They do on mine(Rogers). That's what I was basing my answer off of.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

This is pretty far off the topic of MLSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Rogers is required to carry TSN as part of the basic tier
    TSN is not in Rogers basic service in Toronto. Where is it in their basic?

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    Does anyone know why Bell does not distribute TSN as part of their basic package like Rogers does with Sportsnet?! Just curious why Rogers includes in with the basic pack while Bell has decided to distribute in a tier instead?!
    Bell set up their theme packs before they acquired CTV so they didn't have the same motivation as Rogers did for switching in Sportsnet for TSN in their basic package. Bell did move Sportsnet out of the more popular sports pack (the one with TSN) and replaced it with RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    This is pretty far off the topic of MLSE.
    Agreed, but then again, not all conversations in life stay on topic.

TSN is not in Rogers basic service in Toronto. Where is it in their basic?
    TSN and Sportsnet are both part of the basic (specialty) cable package for along time. Rogers just puts Sportsnet on a better placement on the dial like they do with Citynews Channel and The Shopping Channel.

The Competition Bureau announced that it will not challenge BCE and Rogers joint purchase of MLSE.

The Competition Bureau announced that it will not challenge BCE and Rogers joint purchase of MLSE.

Surprise, Surprise. They probably did a song and dance of job creation and patriotism. Now they just have to get these teams to win something and it would be worth the debt they incurred on this deal.

Surprise, Surprise. They probably did a song and dance of job creation and patriotism. Now they just have to get these teams to win something and it would be worth the debt they incurred on this deal.
    It really does matter the Leafs could lose 100 in a row and they still would rake in the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    It really does matter the Leafs could lose 100 in a row and they still would rake in the money.

That's true. Be horrible and still be number one with cash revenue.

That's true. Be horrible and still be number one with cash revenue.
    Leaf fans refuse to say we have had enough and if the day comes they do then and only then changes will be maid.

Leaf fans refuse to say we have had enough and if the day comes they do then and only then changes will be maid.
    Leaf fans have to be the biggest suckers in history?! They cheer for a team that is a perennial loser, hasn't made the playoffs in years and are owned by a company that only cares about their bottom line not about winning or pleasing fans. Why would you waste your time (and money) supporting this sorry excuse for a team, it boggles the mind?!

As for the competition bureau news, did you really expect that they would object to this transaction?! Bell and Rogers are very powerful conglomerates, they get what they want and don't let anyone get in their way. The only surprise here is why it is taking so long to approve this transaction, the CRTC really moves at a snails pace- just rubber stamp this sucker already! ;)
    Last edited by CDN Viewer; 05-03-2012 at 09:50 PM.

What's the point of having a competition bureau? Every time I hear about them, it's that they've approved a major conglomerate acquisition that reduces competition.

I know some will not agree but i see this as Bell/Rogers merger.

I know some will not agree but i see this as Bell/Rogers merger.
    Too many roadblocks that would prevent a merger; one of them would have to sell their Media and Telecommunication divisions before it could be approved. The only realistic merger, if it where to happen, would be Telus/Rogers.

Too many roadblocks that would prevent a merger; one of them would have to sell their Media and Telecommunication divisions before it could be approved. The only realistic merger, if it where to happen, would be Telus/Rogers.
    Well my self and others did not think they would get the ok for the Mlse deal.

Well my self and others did not think they would get the ok for the Mlse deal.

True, but a mergerd company can't own two networks that serve the same market or own more than 45% of that market, thus making Telus the last one eligible to be take over or to take over another company like Rogers or Bell.

True, but a mergerd company can't own two networks that serve the same market or own more than 45% of that market, thus making Telus the last one eligible to be take over or to take over another company like Rogers or Bell.
    Could they not have a unoffical merger where the work together share tons of programs and sports etc?

Independent BDUs oppose Leafs sale
    Telus, Cogeco, Eastlink and MTS Allstream have all told the CRTC that they are opposed to BCE and Rogers' proposal to take control of sports channels Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada and Gol TV Canada from parent Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE). ...

... "Increasing the already extensive market power enjoyed by vertically integrated programming undertakings, especially in the area of popular sports programming, will further disadvantage Canadian consumers who wish to exercise choice in the television distribution market and will ultimately drive up prices", wrote MTS Allstream in its comments to the CRTC due last week ...
    If the CRTC was really concerned about Rogers and Bell dominating sports television in Canada and shutting out competition, why would they have already allowed them to start Sportsnet One, TSN2, etc.? And if the only control the CRTC can exert over this situation involves the three MLSE niche channels (Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada, and Gol TV Canada), isn't it a distinct possibility that these channels may be shut down anyway, regardless of whether the CRTC approves their transfer of ownership that involves a sale of the majority share of their parent company, not the direct sale of the channels themselves?
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 06-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    If the CRTC was really concerned about Rogers and Bell dominating sports television in Canada and shutting out competition, why would they have already allowed them to start Sportsnet One, TSN2, etc.?
    When the CRTC opened the genre to competition the CBC, MLSE and Shaw were all considering launching channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    And if the only control the CRTC can exert over this situation involves the three MLSE niche channels (Leafs TV, NBA TV Canada, and Gol TV Canada), isn't it a distinct possibility that these channels may be shut down anyway, regardless of whether the CRTC approves their transfer of ownership that involves a sale of the majority share of their parent company, not the direct sale of the channels themselves?
    You're right, there isn't much they can do now.

I see GolTV's Lee Godfrey is hosting TSN's MLS coverage tonight. Has the integration begun?

When the CRTC opened the genre to competition the CBC, MLSE and Shaw were all considering launching channels.
    Yes, but launching TSN2 and Sportsnet One were quite apparently pre-emptive moves to quickly allow them to lock up even more programming than what they already controlled, before the potential competition could get their new sports channels off the ground. And it worked, since none of the proposed competing channels launched, presumably at least in part because of the lack of available major programming; along with MLSE using the mere threat of their proposed new channel eventually assuming Leafs regional TV rights to convince Rogers and Bell to pay an enormous price to buy a majority stake in MLSE, in order to prevent the new MLSE channel from launching and competing against them.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 07-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.