Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New year's wish list

1. CRTC get rid of simsub rules.
    2. CTV, Global, and Rogers start acting like a Canadian, you were issued a licences to entertain Canadiens.
    3. CTV and Global stop buying the Canadian rights to top US shows and start producing your own shit.
    4. Yes CTV and Global, you can compete with US shows, it's called free market.
    5. Start putting your quality shows on the main network and not on one of your specialty networks.
    6. And finally stop simsubing live sporting events.

Quote Originally Posted by calisiigaale View Post
    LMAO. Never going to happen unless the U.S. OTA channel are removed from the dial.

2. CTV, Global, and Rogers start acting like a Canadian, you were issued a licences to entertain Canadians.
    That would only happen if we stop using the U.S. as a measuring stick for television and media success.

3. CTV and Global stop buying the Canadian rights to top US shows and start producing your own shit.

All networks around the world buy top rated US shows. However CTV, Global and Citytv argument over the years was that in order for to attract viewers from viewing U.S. network channels on Cable, Satellite or OTA was them to buy the rights to the shows. However this problem could have been avoid years ago if we decided to use DVB-T instead of ATSC for OTA transmissions that would have permanently cut us off from the U.S. and kill this ongoing excuse. Of course this idea was kill off by TV manufactures.

I'll give CTV credit, they've had produced more in the past two years that wasn't a half-hour talk show. ;)

But they should produce at least three one hour scripted programming for a network of their size. Australian two biggest networks (Network Nine and Network Seven) each produce three original shows for their channels and both have heavy US content and serve a population smaller than our own. So CTV and Global have no excuses not producing three one hour scripted shows.

5. Start putting your quality shows on the main network and not on one of your specialty networks.
    Wait. What specialty network in Canada has quality shows other than Conan, The Daily Show or The Colbert Report?

See answer one.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

2. CTV, Global, and Rogers start acting like a Canadian, you were issued a licences to entertain Canadiens.
    First, the simsbu rules certainly won't be going away, nor do I even personally think they should. But, the networks/BDUs need to step up and start fixing the issues with the simsubs.

Second, the "entertain" Canadians line; they are entertaining Canadians. Canadians are watching the network shows in droves. So whether you agree with what they are airing is one thing, but they are certainly entertaining us.

Third, for the "stop buying the Canadian rights to top US shows and start producing your own shit." line; to a certain degree, you have a point there. I'm assuming what your comment is trying to allude to is the lack of Canadian content. Well, sorry to say for you, but a minimum of 50% of primetime is Canadian and 60% of daytime is Canadian, so I think those qualify as a decent amount of Canadian programming.

But, what I think is fair to say about that is that of that 50 or 60 per cent Cancon needs to be more stuff that they produce themselves, not just stuff taken from their library 10 years ago or from their specialty channels. Some of that stuff is fine, but there's a bit too much of it I think. Take /A\ for exmaple; does /A\ produce anything original itself other than local news? It has a minimum of 50% Cancon in primetime and 60% in daytime and the only thing they produce themselves is local news, so that means a hell of a lot of that Cancon is reruned programming from CTVglobemedia. So, I think that's one thing I'd like to add to my wish list for 2011, actually start producing original programming for yourselves, and stop the excessive amount of programming sharing among services. That goes for specialy channels as well.

As for some of my own wish list (just a wish list, doesn't mean it will or is realistic to see happen , just a wish list):
    • I think it would be a good idea for someone to launch a Canadian version of Universal Sports in the US. We have sports channel on just about everything here, yet, we don't have a sports channel devoted specifically to amateur sports. It'd be nice to have.
    • I'd love to see the /A\s sold to a smaller company
    • Also, I'd love to see the big corps actually start selling off a few of their channels and make them a bit smaller, they're a bit too big IMO. Specifically CTV and Shaw, and even Astral. Astral doesn't get much attention here, but when you look at their French assets, it's a lot. They own 10 out of the 17 licensed analogue French pay and specialty channels.
    • I'd like to see Sun TV News scrapped. We don't need a Fox News Canada, which despite what they may say, it basically what it will turn out being; something just as devisive, partisan, loud, obnoxious, and full of lies as the American channel is.
    • And I think it's about time a few more channels actually go HD

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    Third, for the "stop buying the Canadian rights to top US shows and start producing your own shit." line; to a certain degree, you have a point there. I'm assuming what your comment is trying to allude to is the lack of Canadian content. Well, sorry to say for you, but a minimum of 50% of primetime is Canadian and 60% of daytime is Canadian, so I think those qualify as a decent amount of Canadian programming.
    As mentionned in your next other paragraphe, the 50% in primetime and 60% in daytime consists of news and recycled stuff from library or from specialties.

I mean, when you look at the US side, they have talk shows, soap operas, court/judge shows and doctors shows, while other networks have infomercials and syndicated comedies.

Back to Canada, CTV and Global pick what's best in the US during daytime and fil lthe holes with above-mentionned recycled stuff. What's the problem in this country? We ain't able to produce a talk show? Only Citytv is able to do so (cityline)? We don't have stories to tell, 5 days a week? We don't have doctors who can talk back to us? We don't talk to each other except during news? We don't have controversial subjects and twisted setups (think Jerry or Maury shows)?

And don't get me started with Global's daytime programming: Crash Test Mommy, 100 Huntley St., World Vision, End of Leach, Til Debt... (all programs made by and for HGTV & Slice) Hello! You're the 2nd biggest private network in Canada! Act like one!

Time to produce their own shit for daytime!

[*]I think it would be a good idea for someone to launch a Canadian version of Universal Sports in the US. We have sports channel on just about everything here, yet, we don't have a sports channel devoted specifically to amateur sports. It'd be nice to have.
    That already exists: Regional Sportsnet, and Sportsnet One. But why invest in amateur sports when they can stick to professional sports and fill the rest of the schedule with endless runs of "Connected" and boring poker?

[*]I'd love to see the /A\s sold to a smaller company
    Better question, why weren't they sold with Citytv to Rogers? The /A\ stations just aired whatever was on Citytv, the only reason they had a different brand was that Citytv was aimed at the biggest cities in Canada.

[*]I'd like to see Sun TV News scrapped. We don't need a Fox News Canada, which despite what they may say, it basically what it will turn out being; something just as devisive, partisan, loud, obnoxious, and full of lies as the American channel is.
    I agree to disagree. We have specialties for kids (I don't have any), for religion (boring!), about home and garden (i live in appartment, don't care), about
    for women (I'm not dating), about history (I failed that subject at school), about anything... but I'm not complaining about their existence since I'm not forced to received them and pay for them... (except for APTN). So, Sun TV News will just reach an audience, I don't care as long as I'm not forced to pay for it.

[*]And I think it's about time a few more channels actually go HD[/LIST]
    Ahhhhh, yes! As an HD set owner, I watch and PVR most of my shows in HD, while I try to avoid SD channels due to their lack in picture quality. French specialties are good, but I watch my stuff in english, so... time to launch english HD channels !
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I think it would be a good idea for someone to launch a Canadian version of Universal Sports in the US. We have sports channel on just about everything here, yet, we don't have a sports channel devoted specifically to amateur sports.
    Sorry but this is never going to happen, there just isn't enough support for amateur sports. Aside from you and me, how many others would watch such a channel- most are enthralled by the big leagues and watching the so-called professionals ply their trade, they could care less about amateur sports. I think the best we can hope for is a digital sub-channel (which is actually what Universal Sports is down south) but from what I understand the idiots at the CRTC don't allow sub-channels?! Looks like we are stuck with getting our amateur fix from CBC and their highlight packages on the weekend.

As far as the cancon argument, these conglomerates don't care about producing original content and why should they when they can get away airing filler crap (and buying cheap foreign programming) thanks to the morons at the CRTC and their regulations?! The system is in dire need of an overhaul IMO, restructure it from the ground up with an emphasis on local, original Canadian programming. If the CTV 's & Global's don't like that then just get out of the Canadian broadcasting business.

We ain't able to produce a talk show?
    CTV will be launching a talk show (Marilyn Dennis Show) on Jan. 10. Of course it will just be another lifestyle show so I guess technically it doesn't count as a talk show.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    As mentionned in your next other paragraphe, the 50% in primetime and 60% in daytime consists of news and recycled stuff from library or from specialties.

I mean, when you look at the US side, they have talk shows, soap operas, court/judge shows and doctors shows, while other networks have infomercials and syndicated comedies.

Back to Canada, CTV and Global pick what's best in the US during daytime and fil lthe holes with above-mentionned recycled stuff. What's the problem in this country? We ain't able to produce a talk show? Only Citytv is able to do so (cityline)? We don't have stories to tell, 5 days a week? We don't have doctors who can talk back to us? We don't talk to each other except during news? We don't have controversial subjects and twisted setups (think Jerry or Maury shows)?

And don't get me started with Global's daytime programming: Crash Test Mommy, 100 Huntley St., World Vision, End of Leach, Til Debt... (all programs made by and for HGTV & Slice) Hello! You're the 2nd biggest private network in Canada! Act like one!

Time to produce their own shit for daytime!!
    This is an area I think the CRTC needs to crack the whip, the OTAs should NOT be using material lifted from the specialties to fill Cancon quotas.

The problem with our system is the broadcasters have decided that they want almost complete control over the spectrum and rather than having a hybrid system of US and Canadian channels like early cable television was in Canada they'll create their own cloned or franchised channels instead. The thing is, the Canadian marketplace isn't large enough to support the same number of channels the US enjoys, even though consumers crave a lot of that content.

At the same time the broadcasters simply cannot afford or are unwilling to produce enough content so that each individual channel has its own slate of unique material. We pay as much or more than the US subscribers but we have a much smaller breadth of material airing. And so we have subpar channels as a result.

As it sits most of Canwest (now Shaw Media) channels use reruns from HGTV for most of their specialties and then also rerun them on Global itself to fulfil quota requirements. To me this isn't the intention of Cancon and ACTRA has a legitimate beef with the broadcasters because of this. CTV isn't much better since they use MTV and Discovery Channel Canada content on their main network simply to fulfil quotas.

Consumers meanwhile are essentially paying multiple times for the same material thanks to packaging methods. Comedy Network isn't much of a deal when its biggest hit shows also air OTA on CTV anyway, or much of its sitcoms are also airing on US locals we already get, etc.

Why pay for BBC Canada when its hits usually air on Showcase anyway, either before or after the BBC Canada run.

Astral seems to be about best at keeping their channels unique enough that they're worth subscribing to, outside of sports channels that is but even there, you've got TSN very often airing US network material than before CTVgm owned them would have in fact been aired on CTV itself. I mean ABC didn't stop airing sports when they gained control of ESPN, they couldn't because they still had to compete with NBC, CBS and FOX sports. In Canada we're forced to pay top dollar for TSN for them largely to offer US network sports outside NHL and CFL broadcasts, in the US though the NFL is a huge draw for OTA networks, here our version has been passed off to TSN so that CTV can air MTV and Discovery reruns to fill some quotas on the weekend or because the games air at the same time as CTV could be simsubbing US network materials.

[quote=InMontreal;40161]

Who cares if its news? People watch news. The majority of primetime programs don't come from specialty channels, some do, but most don't.

Time to produce their own shit for daytime!

First, it is not fair to compare the U.S. to Canada as the U.S. networks make billions, but even if we did, the U.S. networks put out very little daytime network programming (FOX for example has no daytime network programming), almost all of that programming you mention is syndicated programming, the networks have nothing to do with that programming, the local stations just purchase it and they have nothing to do with the production of it. In fact, the U.S. networks don't produce most of the "network" daytime programming they air, most of those soaps and game shows are distributed by unaffiliated production companies like Sony, who sell it to both Canadian & U.S. networks.

The U.S. networks and the local U.S. stations don't produce most of their daytime programs either, so it is not fair to use them in your argument on why Canadian networks and local Canadian stations should produce most of their daytime content. But even if the U.S. networks did, it still wouldn't be fair to compare the two, as the U.S. networks make billions of dollars, Canadian networks are having financial difficulties.

Better question, why weren't they sold with Citytv to Rogers? The /A\ stations just aired whatever was on Citytv, the only reason they had a different brand was that Citytv was aimed at the biggest cities in Canada.
    No they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Viewer View Post
    As far as the cancon argument, these conglomerates don't care about producing original content and why should they when they can get away airing filler crap (and buying cheap foreign programming) thanks to the morons at the CRTC and their regulations?! The system is in dire need of an overhaul IMO, restructure it from the ground up with an emphasis on local, original Canadian programming. If the CTV 's & Global's don't like that then just get out of the Canadian broadcasting business.

CTV will be launching a talk show (Marilyn Dennis Show) on Jan. 10. Of course it will just be another lifestyle show so I guess technically it doesn't count as a talk show.
    They are getting an overhaul, starting this fall the major broadcast groups (CTV, Shaw Media, ect) will have a CPE, where they will have to spend 30% of gross revenue on Canadian content, even ACTRA is happy about this, and ACTRA is very hard to please.

I don't see how The Marilyn Dennis Show is any different from the other talk shows, CTV referring to it as a talk show,

[quote=Tripster;40168]

This is an area I think the CRTC needs to crack the whip, the OTAs should NOT be using material lifted from the specialties to fill Cancon quotas.
    If they didn't allow program sharing, quality Canadian programs wouldn't exist. If only one channel was allowed to pay for a show, the show would have to be really cheap, and the single channel would have to re-air it way more than they would if they could share the costs of the show with other channels. It's not like if conventional channels couldn't broadcast Canadian programming from specialty channels they would come up with a bunch of their own programming, they wouldn't be able to afford it. Using Global as an example, most of that lifestyle specialty programming that airs on Global airs in the early morning / daytime, even if Canadian programming was profitable (and its not) there is no way first run programming would be profitable in those time slots, there is a reason why Citytv and CTV rerun Cityline and Marlyn Dennis at least twice a day. That being said, most of that lifestyle specialty programming that Global airs will be replaced by local morning newscasts in the near future anyways.

The problem with our system is the broadcasters have decided that they want almost complete control over the spectrum and rather than having a hybrid system of US and Canadian channels like early cable television was in Canada they'll create their own cloned or franchised channels instead. The thing is, the Canadian marketplace isn't large enough to support the same number of channels the US enjoys, even though consumers crave a lot of that content.
    The problem with that is that American channels don't have to follow the same requirements as Canadian channels do, as in they don't have to air Canadian programming, they don't have to spend 30% of their revenues on Canadian programming, they don't have genre requirements, ect.., so you can see why Canadian broadcasters have a problem with competing against huge rich American broadcasters that don't have to play by the same rules.

As it sits most of Canwest (now Shaw Media) channels use reruns from HGTV for most of their specialties and then also rerun them on Global itself to fulfil quota requirements. To me this isn't the intention of Cancon and ACTRA has a legitimate beef with the broadcasters because of this. CTV isn't much better since they use MTV and Discovery Channel Canada content on their main network simply to fulfil quotas
    As for ACTRA, they actually acknowledge that the only way for Canadian programs to not lose money is for the broadcasters to rerun it again and again on a number of different channels. They actually use that as their argument for why Canadian broadcasters should be required to buy Canadian programming even though it doesn't make money.

you've got TSN very often airing US network material than before CTVgm owned them would have in fact been aired on CTV itself. I mean ABC didn't stop airing sports when they gained control of ESPN, they couldn't because they still had to compete with NBC, CBS and FOX sports. In Canada we're forced to pay top dollar for TSN for them largely to offer US network sports outside NHL and CFL broadcasts, in the US though the NFL is a huge draw for OTA networks, here our version has been passed off to TSN so that CTV can air MTV and Discovery reruns to fill some quotas on the weekend or because the games air at the same time as CTV could be simsubbing US network materials.
    Sporting events have moved from ABC to ESPN, EPSN is now outbidding the major U.S. networks for sporting events. If TSN and CTV had different owners, you wouldn't see many sporting events on CTV anyways since TSN would be outbidding CTV for them. TSN has two revenue streams which makes it way more profitable than CTV so they could easily outbid them, they already outbid CBC.

Quote Originally Posted by TVViewer View Post
    Who cares if its news? People watch news. The majority of primetime programs don't come from specialty channels, some do, but most don't.
    TVViewer, give it a rest already ! Re-read the subject: "New year's wish list". You don't need to justify each entries on a wish list.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

Really it's all excuses, many of the specialties are making huge profits while spending only a small percentage of their income on programming. Program sharing wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't abused to the point of some shows airing on a half dozen channels and some specialties having zero original content while bringing in a healthy profit.

The OTAs could easily produce cheap local programming, around town shows, local talk shows, local lifestyle shows, etc. Sure it would cost money but shouldn't that be the point of being a LOCAL channel? I mean apparently these channels employ thousands already, so they're already at work at the studio. This is what should be encouraged.

[quote=Tripster;40183]

Really it's all excuses, many of the specialties are making huge profits while spending only a small percentage of their income on programming. Program sharing wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't abused to the point of some shows airing on a half dozen channels and some specialties having zero original content while bringing in a healthy profit.
    I'm just pointing out that program sharing allows for quality Canadian shows to be produced. If program sharing was not allowed, not only the quality of programmming would go down, but the single channel would have to re-air that program to death. It would be great if every channel had all of its own original programming, but that isn't realistic, I would rather have a bunch quality programs that get shared across different channels than a few low quality cheap programs that get re-aired to death.

The OTAs could easily produce cheap local programming, around town shows, local talk shows, local lifestyle shows, etc. Sure it would cost money but shouldn't that be the point of being a LOCAL channel? I mean apparently these channels employ thousands already, so they're already at work at the studio. This is what should be encouraged.
    Yes local channels employ a lot of people, but they aren't just sitting around doing nothing, they are running a newsroom and working very hard on the local newscasts which take a lot of work. To produce the additional programming you are talking about, they would need to hire new people, and even if the programming was dirt cheap, they wouldn't come close to breaking even if it aired in the same time slots where lifestyle programming currently airs. There just aren't enough people at home watching to justify it, and the viewers who are home will probably be upset that the high quality lifestyle programming they used to get has been replaced with a much cheaper version. I'm sure many journalists would be upset that money is going towards producing cheap programming that very few people are watching when it could be going towards the newscasts, something people actually watch.
    Last edited by TVViewer; 01-04-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Alright, we get it already: CanWest doesn't intend to develop any daytime programming except for morning news but still wants to receive a check of Local Programming Improvement Funds for their money-losing stations and want to receive cable/satellite basic subscriber money with the TV Tax that the CRTC approved last year...

[and the viewers who are home will probably be upset that the high quality lifestyle programming they used to get has been replaced with a much cheaper version.
    ROFLMAO ! 100 Huntley Vision and World Vision airing EVERY morning on Global, you call THAT quality lifestyle programming? You're more insane than I thought.

Let's get real, there are too much HGTV/Slice programming on Global. Here's for tomorrow on Global Montreal:
    - 7am Crash Test Mommy (1h)
    - 8am The Mom Show (1h)
    - 12pm End of my leach (30 mins)
    - 3pm to 4pm: random lifestyle shows
    - 4pm 'Til Debt (30 mins)
    - 6:30pm: Designer Guys (30 mins)

4 hours and 30 minutes of lifestyle show PER DAY !!! That's RIDICULOUSLY HIGH !!! I'm sure Global can get rid of at least 2 hours of those lifestyle shows, and heck, if viewers want lifestyle shows, they just have to subscribe to HGTV and Slice.
    Last edited by InMontreal; 01-04-2011 at 06:38 PM.

TVViewer, give it a rest already ! Re-read the subject: "New year's wish list". You don't need to justify each entries on a wish list.
    Well he is on autopilot as the mouthpiece for "that network" that must not be named.

[quote=InMontreal;40185]

ROFLMAO ! 100 Huntley Vision and World Vision airing EVERY morning on Global, you call THAT quality lifestyle programming? You're more insane than I thought.
    This is funny, you calling someone else insane.

Of course World Vision & 100 Huntley Street are not lifestyle programs, I was referring to the specialty lifestyle programming. 100 Huntley Street is a talk show produced by Crossroads Communications, World Vision is a program produced by World Vision that encourages viewers to help poor children in third world countries. Global should be applauded for airing this type of programming.

Let's get real, there are too much HGTV/Slice programming on Global. Here's for tomorrow on Global Montreal:
    - 7am Crash Test Mommy (1h)
    - 8am The Mom Show (1h)
    - 12pm End of my leach (30 mins)
    - 3pm to 4pm: random lifestyle shows
    - 4pm 'Til Debt (30 mins)
    - 6:30pm: Designer Guys (30 mins)

4 hours and 30 minutes of lifestyle show PER DAY !!! That's RIDICULOUSLY HIGH !!! I'm sure Global can get rid of at least 2 hours of those lifestyle shows, and heck, if viewers want lifestyle shows, they just have to subscribe to HGTV and Slice.
    As I have already said, the amount of specialty lifestyle programming will be reduced once the new local morning newscasts launch. Even though I disagree that 4 hours and 30 minutes is too much (especially since the "lifestyle" programming they air is a broad mix of talk/reality/design), they will be removing 2 hours of specialty lifestyle/reality programming to make room for the new morning newscasts. So you got your wish :)

The problem with that is that American channels don't have to follow the same requirements as Canadian channels do, as in they don't have to air Canadian programming, they don't have to spend 30% of their revenues on Canadian programming, they don't have genre requirements, ect.., so you can see why Canadian broadcasters have a problem with competing against huge rich American broadcasters that don't have to play by the same rules.
    I think the problem lies with both tv viewers(no pun intended) and brodcasters. We've become so addictive to American programming that we simply ignore Canadian programming for various of reasons and broadcasters who have just simply give what people want have become so addictive themselves with the benefits of cheap American programming that they've become lazy in producing their own programming.

As I mention before, if we switch to DVB-T instead of ATSC. OTA Networks in Canada wouldn't be able to complain that they have to fight with American networks anymore, no one would be able to receive them using bunny ears.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Let's get real, there are too much HGTV/Slice programming on Global.
    Yes there is, how about more programming from Food Network instead so I don't have to pay for a whole package just to subscribe to one channel. ;)

100 Huntley Street is a talk show produced by Crossroads Communications, World Vision is a program produced by World Vision that encourages viewers to help poor children in third world countries. Global should be applauded for airing this type of programming.
    You are truly something else man/woman- this forum would not be the same without your inane comments.

100 Huntley Street is a fake religious ministry type show that just want money from people and use religion and God to get it. Global probably gets paid in order to air this as that is the only logical reason why someone would air a program like this, at least IMO?!

World Vision is an INFOMERCIAL which means they pay Global money in order to air their show. They would be crazy not to air this when they are getting paid to do so- who turns down money, not a greedy conglomerate that's for sure?!

She does appear to be sliding closer to insanity with every post.

However, havind said that, now that it's come up why is Globel flushing 2 hours down the toilet daily running church stuff when they could be selling ad time by rrunning more stuff from HGTV/Slice/Showcase?

It's almost like they owe those people something...

[quote=CDN Viewer;40194]

You are truly something else man/woman- this forum would not be the same without your inane comments.

100 Huntley Street is a fake religious ministry type show that just want money from people and use religion and God to get it. Global probably gets paid in order to air this as that is the only logical reason why someone would air a program like this, at least IMO?!
    Of course Global gets paid to air 100 Huntley Street, and yes Crossroads is a religious company, but that doesn't make it not a talk show. It's a talk show for Christians. They call it a talk show themselves. You don't need to donate any money to watch it.

World Vision is an INFOMERCIAL which means they pay Global money in order to air their show. They would be crazy not to air this when they are getting paid to do so- who turns down money, not a greedy conglomerate that's for sure?!
    I know that, I still applaud Global for airing World Vision over regular programming or other paid programming that doesn't help children living in poor countries.