Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register

Rogers launching Sportsnews

Rogers Launches Sports Cable Service

Rogers Communications today launched another industry first with Sportsnews, a barker channel at no additional cost to Rogers digital cable customers. Sportsnews will promote sports services and content available on Rogers Cable.

"Sportsnews is the first cable service of its kind in Canada. It's where customers can learn about our sports programming as well as what's happening in the world of sports - 24/7 and right at their fingertips," said, Anthony Antonelli, Senior Director, Sports & On Demand Services, Rogers Communications.

Sportsnews helps customers get more from their sports channels and programming packages and is also a destination for sports fans seeking timely information about their favourite professional leagues. Whether it's scores, stats, fantasy information or breaking news, fans will always be connected.

"Just like other recent innovations such as live-streaming on multiple platforms of Blue Jays and Maple Leafs games, Rogers continues to demonstrate how dedicated we are to our passionate sports customers," said Antonelli. "Whether you're at a sports bar with friends, the gym, or at home in front of your big screen TV, Sportsnews will keep you up-to-date with the day's key match-ups, headlines, scores, stats and breaking news through a real-time Twitter feed," said Antonelli.

The channel is available to all Rogers digital cable customers in Ontario and Atlantic Canada in both SD and HD starting today.

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/n...ce/1000818782/

This seems a little fishy here, and seems as though maybe The Score should send of a complaint to the CRTC about this.

Although, to be fair, I haven't seen the channel, but it sounds as though they are launching a sports news channel (which competes with The Score, which is a Cat A service, not a Cat C) and masquerading it as a barker channel with promo content for Rogers' services, which doesn't require a licence.

This seems like a good catalyst for the CRTC to start taking a closer look at these so-called barker channels out there.

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    This seems a little fishy here, and seems as though maybe The Score should send of a complaint to the CRTC about this.

Although, to be fair, I haven't seen the channel, but it sounds as though they are launching a sports news channel (which competes with The Score, which is a Cat A service, not a Cat C) and masquerading it as a barker channel with promo content for Rogers' services, which doesn't require a licence.

This seems like a good catalyst for the CRTC to start taking a closer look at these so-called barker channels out there.
    I don't think in any way does this compete with The Score all this is more or less is a channel with updated stats and upcomming games etc with promos there is no programs.

This is what it looks like:

It does compete with The Score, but as long as they're not selling ads Rogers might be able to get away with it. The Score (back then called Sportscope) launched without a license.

I don't see how it competes with The Score if they don't have any programs if they were to put programs on it and go after rights for soccer league etc with the intent of airing them on this channle sure but as it is now no i don't see it.

Doesn't The Score's license still say it presents "sports results and information"?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Doesn't The Score's license still say it presents "sports results and information"?
    Sure but there bread & butter is wwe,soccer,mma,ncaa,nba.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawasnowdog View Post
    I don't think in any way does this compete with The Score all this is more or less is a channel with updated stats and upcomming games etc with promos there is no programs.
    No programs? There is a video section above the "Headlines" section. What will they be airing there if it's not programs? Lets say, if all they air is around the clock updates of scores and highlights with a person sitting at a desk is still considered a show.

And it doesn't matter if The Score's bread and butter is live sports events, they are still licensed as essentially a sports news service and most of their programs revolves around that. So, if Sportsnews competes with that, then it competes and maybe it should be looked at by the CRTC.

So what's so wrong with having a few cable stations going after the same market. We are not talking about local programing here. Its all national. So I say open things up and let the best man win.

Quote Originally Posted by aytononline View Post
    So what's so wrong with having a few cable stations going after the same market. We are not talking about local programing here. Its all national. So I say open things up and let the best man win.
    That's fine, but we are working with today's rules and they prevent competition between "sports news" services. And from what I take from the article, (again, I haven't actually watched the channel, I'm just going by what the article says) seems to suggest it competes with The Score, therefore, it's unfair and I think The Score would be wise to take this up with the CRTC.

Hi all, Kelly with Rogers here - I see many of you have questions about the distinction between Sportsnews and The Score, so I'm here to provide some additional insight into our channel that may be helpful.

One-third of the screenís real estate is dominated by a score ticker, which gives an in-depth view of the dayís key match-ups, including pre and post- game notes, scores, and stats. We also have Sportsnet personalities providing commentary and breaking news through a real time Twitter feed. It promotes existing sports content from Rogers in one place, a sports snapshot of the sports programming available on Rogers cable. By pulling in scores, breaking news, trivia, and so on, itís a place for Rogers customers who are passionate about sports to get their sports updates right at their fingertips and for them to get the most out of their cable programming subscription.

Hope this answers your questions and you're as excited as we are!

Quote Originally Posted by musimax View Post
    That's fine, but we are working with today's rules and they prevent competition between "sports news" services. And from what I take from the article, (again, I haven't actually watched the channel, I'm just going by what the article says) seems to suggest it competes with The Score, therefore, it's unfair and I think The Score would be wise to take this up with the CRTC.
    You really think a channel just airing sports stats and promos competes with a channel that airs live sports and aslo tons of other shows?

This Channel is Awesome... Nice Graphics!!

You really think a channel just airing sports stats and promos competes with a channel that airs live sports and aslo tons of other shows?
    In short, for the most part, yes.

First of all, it really depends on what Sportsnews' ratio of promo content to sports news content is. If it's pretty much all promos with only a little of sports news, then no, it's not competitive. But, if a lot of the content on this channel is sports news, then yes, it's competitive.

The vast majority of The Score's content is made up of shows which for the most part revolve around sports news, highlights, stats, analysis, and other related programming. For a 24 hour sports channel, only a relatively small amount of live sports actually air on the channel. Let's be clear here, The Score and something like TSN are completely different. The Score is licensed as essentially a sports news service which was given the flexibility to air some live sports programming, and the vast majority of its programming is made up of sports news. A sports news service hiding behind the mask of a barker channel with some promos is competitive IMO. Again, depending on what the ratio of news to promos is though.
    Last edited by musimax; 01-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.

It looks more like a channel that would air in public areas that have television with no sound. I know Rogers sells to business in this manner, could be who the channel is targeted towards.

Quote Originally Posted by AlertGuy View Post
    This Channel is Awesome... Nice Graphics!!
    Looks like a modified version of the Citynews Channel graphics. Just less blue and more gray and shale colours.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

Hi there, this is Kelly with the Rogers social media team here. I just wanted to share some more exciting details on Sportsnews for your readers!

One-third of the screenís real estate is dominated by a score ticker, which gives an in-depth view of the dayís key match-ups, including pre and post- game notes, scores, and stats.

We also have Sportsnet personalities providing commentary and breaking news through a real time Twitter feed. It promotes existing sports content from Rogers in one place, a sports snapshot of the sports programming available on Rogers cable.

By pulling in scores, breaking news, trivia, and so on, itís a place for Rogers customers who are passionate about sports to get their sports updates right at their fingertips and for them to get the most out of their cable programming subscription.

Stay tuned!