Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Renforth View Post
    Well, there's plenty of people in my area here just northeast of Toronto that have DirecTV dishes up, so we'll continue to be subscribers until we're no longer forced to watch something we don't want to.
    Its like on-demand, they only go after people if they need to set a example. However if they do start going after people again in the Richmond Hill-Markham area, make a scene, so we know if its you or not. ;)

I'm not sure about the last point... you can watch tons of channels on the Internet now from all over the world. The CRTC can't stop the Internet. Just like the CRTC can't stop us from listening to radio stations from all over the world using apps on our Smartphones now.
    They can restrict your online viewing now with GeoIP filtering (exuding torrents) if you don't have a VPN setup. Radio they don't give a shit about, but again, VPN is the only know and fully tested method to by-pass geo-filtering. Of course finding a good VPN service is like trying to find a hooker without a STD.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

I don't understand why anyone in southern Ontario would be paying a monthly DirecTV subscription if they're only doing it to avoid simsubs. Most people can directly get the Buffalo (or Rochester, Detroit, etc.) stations in HD for nothing with an antenna. It's not every house or even a majority of them, but I can look out my window and see a whole lot of antennas pointed south, and that doesn't include other ones people may have in their attics or places that can't easily be seen, or people like me lucky enough to have an unobstructed southern view who can easily get them with an indoor antenna sitting on the window sill beside my TV. It's not difficult to just push the "input" button on your TV's remote to switch between watching cable and antenna, and you can now also buy DVRs with digital OTA tuners. This week was a very rare occasion when I actually watched something on CTV, Citytv, or Global (The Office, because they showed it an hour before it was on NBC), but otherwise I would probably forget they exist if it wasn't for all the CTV and Citytv promos on the cable-only channels.

Simsub complaints sound like something from the last millennium to me. It's not like it's still the 1970s or early 80s when Canadian networks would routinely and carelessly cut parts out of the middle of shows to fit in more commercials, and you had no way to see the parts you missed. Not that I would know (as I described above), but if they're still sometimes cutting off the endings or beginnings of shows on cable with mistimed simsub change-overs, I think just about everyone knows they can see shows online any time they want. And I would assume that includes those commercials that air during the Super Bowl, though I've never understood people being bothered by not being able to see ads. I can see them and I still hit FF, mute, change the channel, or just ignore them. And Buffalo's local ads for ambulance-chasing lawyers and car dealers are certainly no less annoying than ours.
    Last edited by Donovan's Monkey; 12-12-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan's Monkey View Post
    I don't understand why anyone in southern Ontario would be paying a monthly DirecTV subscription if they're only doing it to avoid simsubs. Most people can directly get the Buffalo (or Rochester, Detroit, etc.) stations in HD for nothing with an antenna. It's not every house or even a majority of them, but I can look out my window and see a whole lot of antennas pointed south, and that doesn't include other ones people may have in their attics or places that can't easily be seen, or people like me lucky enough to have an unobstructed southern view who can easily get them with an indoor antenna sitting on the window sill beside my TV. It's not difficult to just push the "input" button on your TV's remote to switch between watching cable and antenna, and you can now also buy DVRs with digital OTA tuners. This week was a very rare occasion when I actually watched something on CTV, Citytv, or Global (The Office, because they showed it an hour before it was on NBC), but otherwise I would probably forget they exist if it wasn't for all the CTV and Citytv promos on the cable-only channels.
    He lives somewhere in the Vaughan-Richmond Hill-Markham area, so any signals from Buffalo or Rochester are non-existent and Detroit is too far for anyone in the GTA. If he is truly paying for DirectTV, its either from a third-part, or he register his account using a U.S Address. It should also be noted that this isn't in the strictest terms consider "stealing", hence why they call it "grey market".

Most U.S. stations and Canadian stations now are placed near one another on the dial to create interference. So if you lived near the CN Tower there is a good chance you wouldn't get any U.S. stations via attenta because the signals from the CN Tower would be overpowering them, there are some areas that still can pick up U.S. signals that are either farther away from the CN Tower or far away from the repeaters.

I can't get US stations via OTA, and I'm just north of Waterloo. I've learned to PVR shows and watch them the next day after work simsub free on the west coast channels. Normally at night during primetime I'm busy with activities anyways, so it works out for me great. Now if only I could escape the simsubs during sports!!!

I love all the online complaints each and every week about simsubs, including during NFL telecasts.

I just wish everyone would get with the program... literally... DirecTV!!!

I just wish everyone would get with the program... literally... DirecTV!!!
    If everyone got with "the program", then it would be more incentive for Bell/Shaw to start cracking down on grey market dishes. And not everyone can "annex" a small spot of their house to the US. :p

Well, the complaints continue with CTV adverts @ ad-nauseam. One can only take so much.

It's time to look at the alternatives.

My kids know nothing of sim-subbing (they're 6 and 8), but the older one noted the other day during the NFL Playoffs "how many times have we seen this ad?". I then realised that I was watching the CTV sim-sub on the Boston CBS affiliate (Bell) and switched to CBS Buffalo via OTA. That took care of it - thanks kids!

Quote Originally Posted by hammer66 View Post
    My kids know nothing of sim-subbing (they're 6 and 8), but the older one noted the other day during the NFL Playoffs "how many times have we seen this ad?". I then realised that I was watching the CTV sim-sub on the Boston CBS affiliate (Bell) and switched to CBS Buffalo via OTA. That took care of it - thanks kids!
    Ha ha ha, that's awesome!