Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Netflix

At just about the same time that Netflix announced it was bringing its service to Canada Bell & Rogers Internet announced a great new addition to our internet service, bandwith caps. Bandwith is basically how much you can download per month and came into effect in my view for no other reason than to battle Netflix and its clear threat to Cable TV business. Who in their right mind is going to pay $50 to $100 a month for cable when you can get it for $7.99 on Netflix? Under the new changes to your internet bill according to GeekTown.ca if you exceed the new bandwith cap you will be billed $4 per gig that you go over ( for Rogers Internet Users ). If you figure every movie you watch is 1gig to 4gigs in size your looking at up to $16.00 PER movie. Ouch! These new bandwith caps are a typical cash grab but also in my view a way to keep Netflix in check.

After using netflix I understand that the cable companies are fear mongering and trying to keep you with TMN OR SUPERCHANNEL and to rent a sd movie off their ondemand services for 6.00 each. I have express and 60 g is enough . Also sign up for a year and get 30 percent off for a year on your cable and internet service. With Netflix you really only need basic cable and bonus if you have a HD Box you get all the networks in HD too!
    Last edited by steelnikel; 03-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelnikel View Post

At just about the same time that Netflix announced it was bringing its service to Canada Bell & Rogers Internet announced a great new addition to our internet service, bandwith caps. Bandwith is basically how much you can download per month and came into effect in my view for no other reason than to battle Netflix and its clear threat to Cable TV business. Who in their right mind is going to pay $50 to $100 a month for cable when you can get it for $7.99 on Netflix? Under the new changes to your internet bill according to GeekTown.ca if you exceed the new bandwith cap you will be billed $4 per gig that you go over ( for Rogers Internet Users ). If you figure every movie you watch is 1gig to 4gigs in size your looking at up to $16.00 PER movie. Ouch! These new bandwith caps are a typical cash grab but also in my view a way to keep Netflix in check.
    Data caps are not new for Bell or Rogers; they've been putting caps on their customers for awhile now, way before Netflix, they even increased my data cap from 80GB to 125GB, still not alot, but if your not a person who normally uploads/downloads large amounts of data for work(or torrents) then you'll never hit that limit.

Still SuperChannel isn't enough for me to give up TMN or even Netflix at this point, I still don't see the value in that service.
    "And Now for Something Completely Different..." - John Cleese (Monty Python).

This is why it is recommended you switch ISPs to one that isn't so closely tied to a broadcaster. Bell is tied to CTV, so they have small caps .. Rogers is tied to CityTV, so they too have small caps .. Shaw is tied to Global, so they now have caps, although not as small as the others, but still smaller than their competitors.

If you're in Ontario of Quebec then check out TekSavvy.com .. their base service has a 300GB cap and for a few dollars more a month you can have unlimited.

Out west, MTS in Manitoba, SaskTel in Saskatchewan and Telus in BC/Alberta have high or no caps at the moment. TekSavvy is also available in limited areas for cable.

As you say, the incumbent broadcasters that happen to also have large ISPs are the ones with the most to lose with consumers choosing Netflix over traditional broadcast services. However consumers should not have that choice taken from them simply to prop up what is essentially an industry with a limited future. On-Demand media via the internet is the future.

BTW, the latest fight at the CRTC about UBB and caps is all about Bell attempting to stop TekSavvy from having high caps and unlimited internet accounts, in other words it is Bell's attempt to limit what the competitors can offer. Rather than compete by offering similar caps they've decided to try and fight it by forcing regulations upon other businesses. Shame.
    Last edited by Tripster; 02-16-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    This is why it is recommended you switch ISPs to one that isn't so closely tied to a broadcaster. Bell is tied to CTV, so they have small caps .. Rogers is tied to CityTV, so they too have small caps .. Shaw is tied to Global, so they now have caps, although not as small as the others, but still smaller than their competitors.

If you're in Ontario of Quebec then check out TekSavvy.com .. their base service has a 300GB cap and for a few dollars more a month you can have unlimited.
    I just hate dealing with Rogers when it come to trying to cut services because they either become anal and give you the run around or add you to their "Every 3 hour" call list on why you left and wanting you to come back. Not to metion i'm on their home phone service so I don't think TekSavvy could work, I have to check with a friend on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I just hate dealing with Rogers when it come to trying to cut services because they either become anal and give you the run around or add you to their "Every 3 hour" call list on why you left and wanting you to come back. Not to metion i'm on their home phone service so I don't think TekSavvy could work, I have to check with a friend on that.
    TekSavvy are rolling out their own phone services, but there are other options. www.voip.ms are great, pair it up with a line from www.freephoneline.ca and your phone bill can be greatly reduced. My phone lines cost me about $6/month now and come with all the features and more of what the telcos offer. As long as you have a decent internet connection it will work just fine, and of course there's cellular for back up.

LD from voip.ms within Canada, $0.0052/minute. If you're in one of freephoneline.ca's free calling areas use that for your local calling, note you can also call other areas of the country for free with that service, no monthly bill at all. I use both, voip.ms I use for areas that aren't covered by FPL, local Calgary calling incoming and outbound is free for me with FPL, I just paid a one time $50 fee for their SIP config file so it works on my Linksys PAP2T VoIP adaptor.

With voip.ms I have a toll free line for business and a home number I had for years with Vonage, instead of paying Vonage $20/month for that I'm now paying voip.ms about $6/month.

Data caps are not new for Bell or Rogers; they've been putting caps on their customers for awhile now, way before Netflix, they even increased my data cap from 80GB to 125GB, still not alot, but if your not a person who normally uploads/downloads large amounts of data for work(or torrents) then you'll never hit that limit.

Still SuperChannel isn't enough for me to give up TMN or even Netflix at this point, I still don't see the value in that service.
    Well I guess we will agree to disagree. I don't think TMN / HBO is worth the money either and then you have to add more for Mpix or Netflix to get older movies . I pay about ten dollars a mth for S.C. and that is a fair price for the use I get out of it. Again you have your preference of TMN and not everyone likes that service. Tripster makes a good point regarding other routes to take to get Netflix and cheaper phone service .
    Maybe we all should go that way in the future , but as for TMN I don't see the value and didn't use it when I subscribed to it.

I don't think TMN / HBO is worth the money either and then you have to add more for Mpix or Netflix to get older movies . I pay about ten dollars a mth for S.C. and that is a fair price for the use I get out of it.
    OK, stop right there.

How the HECK do you get SC for 10$?
    Rogers sells it for 16$, Bell sells it for 13$-15$, Shaw Direct for 15$.
    If you get a special offer for SuperChannel, STOP bragging about it. It's YOUR special offer, not the regular price so your pricing advantage argument is worthless.

About Mpix, it's a special PayTV channel with its own licence. Some cable or satellite provider offer it with TMN/HBO, some other offer it in a seperate package, and some other offer it in thematic packages and la carte, like any other specialty channel. Your "add more for Mpix" rule doesn't apply for everybody.

I already mentionned that the 1$ magazine for TMN is OPTIONAL, you can opt out, it's not forced down your throat.
    We had a good run: 2006 to 2020. Thanks for the informations and debates.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    OK, stop right there.

How the HECK do you get SC for 10$?
    Rogers sells it for 16$, Bell sells it for 13$-15$, Shaw Direct for 15$.
    If you get a special offer for SuperChannel, STOP bragging about it. It's YOUR special offer, not the regular price so your pricing advantage argument is worthless.

About Mpix, it's a special PayTV channel with its own licence. Some cable or satellite provider offer it with TMN/HBO, some other offer it in a seperate package, and some other offer it in thematic packages and la carte, like any other specialty channel. Your "add more for Mpix" rule doesn't apply for everybody.

I already mentionned that the 1$ magazine for TMN is OPTIONAL, you can opt out, it's not forced down your throat.
    You bargain with your cable company and never pay full price for anything . Thats how you get it ! You sign for one yr and get a 30-40 percent discount when you have all rogers services. If not Bell with offer a huge discount to take their business away. Its called bargaining and with regards to Mpix isn't it included in the TMN website and owned by the same company. I only speak for Rogers customers and offer advice . Mpix is actually pretty good and I had it for a few months previously. You can get it on Rogers for 8 dollars or twenty dollars bundled with TMN ,thats if you didn't bargain for a discount . As for the magazine , yes you can opt out , but Rogers doesn't tell you that up front and you have to request that. :D

I got 20% off my satellite bill for 1 year through the retention office with Bell.
    :)
    Not available on Bell TV
    Animal Planet HD
    Science Channel HD
    HDNET
    Speed HD
    Sun TV HD
    Cartoon Net HD
    Travel HD
    OLN HD
    AXS HD
    Encore HD
    Superbowl commercials
    Skinny basic Bell package and internet tv.
    Waiting for BluSky HDTV.....

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    I got 20% off my satellite bill for 1 year through the retention office with Bell.
    :)
    Yeah but then you're still with Bell :)

Is Netflix the way to go?

After reviewing all the prices of TMN ,SUPERCHANNEL , MPIX etc... I wonder if Netflix may be better and cheaper for all of us to watch . I have Nhl Live on our PS3 and it works fine and I think Netflix may also be the way to go! It:( all depends on your bandwith limit and service. Any thought from people who have it?

After reviewing all the prices of TMN ,SUPERCHANNEL , MPIX etc... I wonder if Netflix may be better and cheaper for all of us to watch . I have Nhl Live on our PS3 and it works fine and I think Netflix may also be the way to go! It:( all depends on your bandwith limit and service. Any thought from people who have it?
    Well it costs you nothing to try it for a month and it works on the PS3, with HD and 5.1 sound to boot! It does depend on your tastes but there is a lot to watch on the service, including most of the movies SuperChannel airs as premieres.

I have it and justify it like this, if you watch just 2 movies on the service a month (and we watch way more than that) then you've made it worth it since renting is around $4 anyway.

As for bandwidth limits, it depends on where you live but if you are in Ontario or Quebec you can get TekSavvy 300GB service for about $35/month I believe, unlimited for $45 or so .. optionally most of the other ISPs with tiny quotas offer bandwidth packages to give you more. But if TekSavvy is an option go that route because then you're sending a message as well.

I'm out west in Calgary and was facing Shaw's new limit of 100GB/month on their Extreme account, but they've put that on hold for now while they "consult with their customers" .. if they stick to their guns though I'm switching to Telus who have a 250GB package for about the same price. Right now we average about 125GB/month.

Anyway, give Netflix a try, it is free for the first month and if you don't like the service you can cancel before the billing date and pay nothing.

BTW, just read something about Netflix and HBO claims they don't like them because "they don't charge their customers enough" … go figure :)
    Last edited by Tripster; 03-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Well, I canceled TMN for Netflix last month. 16$ for TMN - 8$ for Netflix = 8$ in my pockets. I like that! :D

I hook it up to my XBOX and it works great. I have TGV 15 on Videotron so 70 Go should be enough. I was happy to find that Dollhouse and Farscape were available. I was recently looking at seeing those series. It prevents me from buying the DVD's. It's also fun to see a whole new selection of movies that are not available on TMN.
    Randi Dertzo
    Owner, http://www.channelcanada.com/

You bargain with your cable company and never pay full price for anything . Thats how you get it ! You sign for one yr and get a 30-40 percent discount when you have all rogers services. If not Bell with offer a huge discount to take their business away. Its called bargaining and with regards to Mpix isn't it included in the TMN website and owned by the same company. I only speak for Rogers customers and offer advice . Mpix is actually pretty good and I had it for a few months previously. You can get it on Rogers for 8 dollars or twenty dollars bundled with TMN ,thats if you didn't bargain for a discount . As for the magazine , yes you can opt out , but Rogers doesn't tell you that up front and you have to request that. :D
    So you got a savings by signing up to all of Rogers services for one year??

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well, I canceled TMN for Netflix last month. 16$ for TMN - 8$ for Netflix = 8$ in my pockets. I like that! :D

I hook it up to my XBOX and it works great. I have TGV 15 on Videotron so 70 Go should be enough. I was happy to find that Dollhouse and Farscape were available. I was recently looking at seeing those series. It prevents me from buying the DVD's. It's also fun to see a whole new selection of movies that are not available on TMN.
    Really the TV series selection is enough to warrant the cost of Netflix, example, Heroes is there, to purchase the entire set of seasons will set you back $100+, even renting them would set you back more than the cost of several months of Netflix.

I've watched a couple eps of Dollhouse so far but plan on watching the rest, but I've got so many series in my queue it is literally months worth of TV. If it weren't for the gf and kids I'd be rid of cable entirely because most of what I want to watch I can get online anyway.

So you got a savings by signing up to all of Rogers services for one year??
    I still have 30 percent off cable and internet ! Again for another year I just resigned again. Looking at netflix as an alternative to TMN and superchannel. I just asked is it worth it and how do people find it working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripster View Post
    Well it costs you nothing to try it for a month and it works on the PS3, with HD and 5.1 sound to boot! It does depend on your tastes but there is a lot to watch on the service, including most of the movies SuperChannel airs as premieres.

I have it and justify it like this, if you watch just 2 movies on the service a month (and we watch way more than that) then you've made it worth it since renting is around $4 anyway.

As for bandwidth limits, it depends on where you live but if you are in Ontario or Quebec you can get TekSavvy 300GB service for about $35/month I believe, unlimited for $45 or so .. optionally most of the other ISPs with tiny quotas offer bandwidth packages to give you more. But if TekSavvy is an option go that route because then you're sending a message as well.

I'm out west in Calgary and was facing Shaw's new limit of 100GB/month on their Extreme account, but they've put that on hold for now while they "consult with their customers" .. if they stick to their guns though I'm switching to Telus who have a 250GB package for about the same price. Right now we average about 125GB/month.

Anyway, give Netflix a try, it is free for the first month and if you don't like the service you can cancel before the billing date and pay nothing.

BTW, just read something about Netflix and HBO claims they don't like them because "they don't charge their customers enough" … go figure :)
    I just may give it a try after all!
    Last edited by steelnikel; 03-13-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Finally took the netflix trial

I dropped all my movie services from rogers and now have basic cable and netflix. Its a great service and have it on ipod touch,ps3 ,netbook hooked to my plasma tv etc..... I may just keep it because it is so convenient.:) No more wasting money on superchannel,mpix ,tmn or hbo . A much more convenient and organized service for sure. I would recommend everyone to at least try the free trial.

I dropped all my movie services from rogers and now have basic cable and netflix. Its a great service and have it on ipod touch,ps3 ,netbook hooked to my plasma tv etc..... I may just keep it because it is so convenient.:) No more wasting money on superchannel,mpix ,tmn or hbo . A much more convenient and organized service for sure. I would recommend everyone to at least try the free trial.
    Glad you're enjoying it, I have it hooked up on 2 AppleTV's, a PS3, an Xbox 360, my iPhone and on an iPad. The great thing is you can continue watching from the place you paused on any other device, very convenient.

Netflix is awesome for $7.99

I have to say the way that you answer online questions regarding your tastes and preferences is pretty cool and then it recommends movies, series suited to your taste. Also there seems to be something on netflix for everyone. I have it on ps3 ,laptops, netbook, ipod touch etc.... By going with basic cable I used my savings to get express with Rogers internet so BW should be good too! No problems so far and cancelled Superchannel, Mpix and Movietime and action channel yesterday.:D