Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very odd. CKMI-DT-2 Sherbrooke is on the air, it's the Montreal HD feed.
    But on cable, Vidéotron is still distributing the Global Toronto HD feed all over their network.

Sounds like, for Shaw Media, simsubs have priority over having a local version with local news and local advertisements. Maybe TVViewer could explain this oddity to us?
    Last edited by InMontreal; 08-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    "It's not a rerun if you haven't watched it yet." (© 2010 by TVViewer)
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

But on cable, Vidéotron is still distributing the Global Toronto HD feed all over their network.
    It takes time for Videotron to switch the signal over from Toronto to Montreal. This has absolutely nothing to do with Global.

I'm not aware of the situation in Montreal, but technically, Global shouldn't be receiving simsubs at all. None of the Global Toronto transmitters emit a Grade B signal into Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Emarsee View Post
    It takes time for Videotron to switch the signal over from Toronto to Montreal. This has absolutely nothing to do with Global.

I'm not aware of the situation in Montreal, but technically, Global shouldn't be receiving simsubs at all. None of the Global Toronto transmitters emit a Grade B signal into Montreal.
    What I meant was, direct-to-BDU feed always came first. TVA is offering local version in Quebec and Sherbrooke without broadcasting OTA, V offered 5 local versions at some point while the Montreal digital transmitter was the only one operational, CTV offered CFCF and CJOH in december 2009 before launching CFCF-DT last january. At least cable had access to their local news on the HD feed. But Global is going the inverse way, launching a digital OTA transmitter before cable.

As for simsubs, CKMI-DT Montreal's digital OTA transmitters is supposed to launch August 31st only, which is when simsubs will begin (Sherbrooke and Quebec City are free of simsubs). From their point of view, there's no point in offering a local HD version if they can't simsub. Which is why I stated that they prioritize simsubs over local.

As a cable subscriber, I would have prefer watching Global Montreal HD with local news. Rigt now, I'm being forced to switch to Global Montreal when I see that the local news are Toronto-oriented on the HD channel. I thought Global Montreal was a money-losing station but they let Quebec residents watching Toronto ads on the HD feed. Odd strategy.
    "Ne jamais s'obstiner avec un épais. Il va vous abaisser à son niveau et vous battre avec l'expérience."

I'm sure the feed in Sherbrooke is going to be changed shortly. They are probably just getting their antenna operational then will provide the feed for local cable systems.

In my opinion, it would be easier for Shaw to launch the digital transmitters and rather than to negotiate with a BDU to carry one of their stations in HD. The stations being converted to digital have mandatory carriage, and this probably saves Shaw some time.

On other digital conversion news:
    CJCO-DT (OMNI) Calgary has signed on yesterday.
    CKCS-DT (CTS) Calgary also signed on yesterday.
    CIHF-DT (Global) Halifax signed on today.

Trivia: As far as I'm aware, all of the Global television stations (in addition to Thunder Bay and NTV) are available in HD either through a BDU or OTA since the launch of CFRE-DT.

CKMI-DT Quebec City has flash-cut to digital today. Only remaining station is CKMI-TV-1 Montreal, still broadcasting in analog mode.

Quote Originally Posted by InMontreal View Post
    CKMI-DT Quebec City has flash-cut to digital today. Only remaining station is CKMI-TV-1 Montreal, still broadcasting in analog mode.
    Last time I heard, CKMI-1 might have to wait until September to start broadcasting in digital. The station shares an antenna with the CBC and the antenna is not expected to be operational by the transition deadline.

Thanks for the updates guys.

I have updated the chart and for now I am listing all these new additions as 'OTA only' until I get info that they are available on cable.

Let the VHF nightmares begin:

CIII-DT-6 Ottawa is now on the air.

Updated list,

The following stations have received approval for a digital transmitter:

CKFS-DT Sherbrooke (V)
    CFAP-DT Québec (V)
    CFRS-DT Saguenay (V)

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/whatsnew/2011/aug0815.htm

CICO-DT-9 Thunder Bay, CICO-DT-18 London, CICO-DT-24 Ottawa and CICO-DT-28 Kitchener launched today.

CKMI-DT-1 Global Montreal is now on the air, UHF 15.

CIHF-DT-3 Moncton and CIHF-DT-14 Charlottetown have both flash cut to digital.

CJEO-DT and CKES-DT Edmonton are now broadcasting in digital. It's unclear if the analog has shut off yet.-DT

CFCM-DT (TVA Quebec City) signed on UHF 17 this morning, making it the 1st TVA station to launch in OTA digital.

The following TVOntario digital transmitters are now on the air.
    CICO-DT-32 Windsor: digital channel 32
    CICO-DT-59 Chatham: digital channel 33
    CICA-DT Toronto: digital channel 19
    CICO-DT-53 Belleville: digital channel 26
    CICO-DT-92 Cloyne: digital channel 44

TVOntario has completed their digital transition.

Forgot to mention this,
    CKAL-DT-1 Lethbridge is on the air.

The following stations are now broadcasting in digital:
    CFRN-DT Edmonton
    CJIL-DT Lethbridge
    CHCH-DT-2 London

The follow station is now broadcasting only in digital:
    CITV-DT Edmonton
    Last edited by Emarsee; 08-24-2011 at 08:15 PM.

CHCH-DT-2 is delayed now until the 31st of August due to the severe weather in Southern Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    CHCH-DT-2 is delayed now until the 31st of August due to the severe weather in Southern Ontario
    http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthre...70#post1304070
    CHCH-DT-2 has been received by one person, albeit without video.

My mistake,

Although, CHCH's website was showing August 31 for London earlier this evening